[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did this film have a message? If so, what is it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: the-witch-poster.jpg (116 KB, 810x1200) Image search: [Google]
the-witch-poster.jpg
116 KB, 810x1200
Did this film have a message? If so, what is it?
>>
kill babbies, acquire butter
>>
>the "a movie must have a message" meme
>>
>>71085713
>movie

The VVitch is kino, buddy.
>>
I don't think it had a message. It was just a really well constructed atmosphere for a pretty good horror film, which is already scarce nowadays. Not all good movies need to have a message
>>
Feminism.
>>
We need to live deliciously.
>>
It's pretty obvious. Don't be proud.
>>
>>71085649
Satan loves you and wants you to be happy.
>>
Massachusetts sucked then and Massachusetts sucks now.
>>
>>71085755
You should seriously get some taste pal', the VVitch is a work of Cinéma
>>
>>71085649
The movie is about trust, there's no message just a central theme.
>>
>>71085831

This.

Pride goes before the fall. The man's pride brought suffering upon his whole family.
>>
File: giphy (2).gif (2 MB, 236x309) Image search: [Google]
giphy (2).gif
2 MB, 236x309
Goats are dicks
>>
>>71085865
this is what i came away with too
>>
its a movie about a girl, a goat and her butt
>>
>>71085649
criterion release when
>>
BLACK PHILLIP BLACK PHILLIP
KING OF SKY AND LAND
BLACK PHILLIP BLACK PHILLIP
KING OF SEA AND SAND
>>
File: live deliciously.jpg (58 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
live deliciously.jpg
58 KB, 630x630
>>71085649
>>
What does the title card say? "A New England Folktale". It's not meant to be ambiguous or complicated. Think of it like you're being told a story at bedtime or in a classroom. The movie has a very straightforward lesson.

What's the first scene in the movie? William think he's better and more pious than the village counsel, and says he's happy to be banished. This leads directly to his baby being kidnapped. He ignores this and ignores that his wife is beside herself with misery because of his actions.

The movie is mostly a catalogue of his lies and hypocrisy and how his poor example spreads to the rest of the family. He lies constantly, about the cup, about hunting, and encourages also his son to lie, even as he tells him to memorize how his soul is riven with sin. Even his baby is filled with sin, in his mind, yet the sin we witness is his constant hypocrisy.

Things spiral out of control. The children accuse each other, but only because they've learned how to lie for their own safety when convenient, and out of a sense of real danger that their parents will harm them if they're found to be consorting with the devil. They're right to turn on each other! It's only natural in a house as mad as this.

The father dies, killed by Black Phillip. Why does he accept his death? "Corruption, thou art my father".

And so Thomasine, left with nothing, turns to the only source of authority and shelter left to her: the evil present in the house. But they had every chance to turn away from evil, to scorn hypocrisy. They didn't.

So what's the moral of the story? False piety is no substitute for moral substance. Very straightforward, very unambiguous.
>>
>>71085649
post that sweet fuckin ass already
>>
So did the whole family go to hell? Help a heathen pleb understand.
>>
Don't listen to /tv/, they love shite movies.
>>
File: WITCHEXCCLIPFEAT.jpg (71 KB, 730x411) Image search: [Google]
WITCHEXCCLIPFEAT.jpg
71 KB, 730x411
About getting a new waifu
>>
>>71086961

Cute lil ayyy
>>
>>71085649
If you have a cute sister you're attracted to, you should fuck her while you still have the chance.
>>
twins are demonic little shits
>>
>>71085649
it was blatant pesticide propaganda.

>oh no my crops are all fucked, now satan will devour the souls of my family
>>
Everything sucked in the 1600's

Fearing evil plays into it's hands

Praying doesn't do anything

Living deliciously is a viable career choice

Thomasin had the booty, also Thomasin is a name girls could have
>>
Women's liberation means having your family killed and dancing naked in the woods.

Also

>the Inquisition was right about everything
>>
>>71085649
Rednecks are retarded.
>>
>>71087558
But there weren't any rednecks in the movie.
All of them were english who just got off the boat.
If everything the movie shows that immigrants are retarded.
>>
You must pray
>>
>>71087739
>she will never punish u for being a filthy sinner
>>
File: fucking white male.jpg (76 KB, 437x600) Image search: [Google]
fucking white male.jpg
76 KB, 437x600
>>71085649
Thomasine == gay faggots
poppa == Islam
momma == Hillary
twins == Republicans & Democrats
Black Phillip == Donald Trump
coven == Gays for Trump Rally
>>
>>71087995
I want to taste her butter.
>>
File: 1465160436608.jpg (578 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1465160436608.jpg
578 KB, 1000x1000
The ost is so dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwLN9s6inTs
>>
>>71085649
Community is an essential part of your family, if you turn your back on them you'll literally die.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.