[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tv/ need a lil assistance! GoT has a single episode left but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10
File: 1465068567915.jpg (161 KB, 1323x1271) Image search: [Google]
1465068567915.jpg
161 KB, 1323x1271
/tv/ need a lil assistance!

GoT has a single episode left but I need something to entertain me in my fantasy/medieval niche.

Right now I am downloading Rome & Legend of the Seeker both of which I've never seen.

I am also downloading the only season of Camelot, all seasons of Spartacus, and Vikings which I've seen all three of these.

What other tv shows are worth a watch that fit into history/fantasy?

I've heard Merlin isn't bad but it's aimed at teens as is that Chronicles of Shannara which I watched part of because Crixus was in it.

So Suggestions guys? Films are welcome too but chances are I've seen them.
>>
>>71080357
>film or TV

Honestly senpai you could maybe give a few fantasy books a try. I know of a few series that will scratch that itch.

You could also give Black Sails a try.
>>
File: Cersei.jpg (68 KB, 600x804) Image search: [Google]
Cersei.jpg
68 KB, 600x804
Oh and when I make my vlc playlist I'll have a few documentary mixed in between episodes like The History of Us. So anything like that is helpful!

>questioning marco polo & da vinci's demons being added to the mix
>>
>>71080654
Currently re-reading the Black Company but open to book suggestions too. I have a small backlog of books to read. Tv/Movies are when I need to chill for an hour or two and when I play video games I like having something else playing more or less as background noise. It's geeky I know, but I love playing Skyrim while watching Vikings & GoT.

Forgot about Black Flags, thank you.
>>
File: GodOfTits&Wine.jpg (358 KB, 481x736) Image search: [Google]
GodOfTits&Wine.jpg
358 KB, 481x736
>>71080797
Sails*
>>
>>71080797
Try The first law if you haven't read it yet. Its pretty good and in some ways it surpasses ASOIAF/GoT.
>>
File: 3016535-1308112030-tumbl.jpg (244 KB, 500x733) Image search: [Google]
3016535-1308112030-tumbl.jpg
244 KB, 500x733
>>71080895
torrented the first 6 books and will add to tablet later ty
>>
File: GuinevereJones.jpg (23 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
GuinevereJones.jpg
23 KB, 320x240
>>71080357
Guinevere Jones
>>
Borgias, Tudors which are similar to Rome

the last kingdom is like vikings
>>
>>71081282
Er, imdb says its about teenagers but I will give a few episodes a try.
>>
>>71081215
Your welcome the only bad thing about the series is that the first book is all set up but once it gets going it gets going books 2-5 are great and 6 is good but not as good as 2-5. Logan Ninefingers, Sand Dan Glotka and Caul Shivers are some of the finest fantasy characters ever created. If you are looking for some games then the Witcher trilogy is pretty good they also have books that were written during the late 80' and 90'a and they are good.

I can't really think of another TV show that can fill the void besides the ones already mentioned.
>>
>>71081359
Are those movies or tv shows because I'm sure I've seen one about both ... didn't Borgias have Scarlet Jo in it and Tudors had Queen Margery (forgot actress name)?
>>
>>71081676
yes on Tudors, no on borgias

tv shows

there are plenty of movies on medieval fights
>>
>>71081651
Witcher is on my list once I can afford a better potato machine than this one. Saving the books for when I play the games. Blah blah immersion and all that geeky jazz.

I got use to sticking through slow parts in books, hell look at GoT. The only series I haven't completed but will is Legend of the Seeker ... believe I got to the beginning of pilars of creation and just couldn't give a shit about Richard n crew anymore.
>>
>>71081773
My bad Scarlett was in The Other Boleyn Girl movie. Recall having to sit through that one and the one about queen Elizabeth with an ex.
>>
File: 57897.jpg (50 KB, 300x385) Image search: [Google]
57897.jpg
50 KB, 300x385
>>71080357

I couldn't get over Guinevere bieng Puerto Rican in merlin. Not even hot puerto Rican

She looked like dog doodoo
>>
>>71082207
Um, okay thats a bit of a wow. Were they angling for lineage influenced by the Moors? Cuz Puerto Rican isn't close enough to Spanish to be justifiable. Or was she chosen because she fit the roll the best? That I can get. At same time I'm still minorly bothered that everyone was okay with a Guatemalan being cast as an Egyptian in X-Men. Everyone ripped Gods of Egypt a part for white washing while I thought it was a fun movie just not anything you have residual feelings from.
>>
Is shannnara worth it? I liked crixus but if that's the only thing pushing me to that show, no interest.
>>
>>71080357
Rome is neither fantasy nor medieval, you goddamn mouthbreather. Get the fuck out of my board.
>>
>>71082502
>implying the roman empire really existed
>>
>>71082457
No they were angling for (((diversity)))

BBC doesn't need another reason
>>
>>71082498
I personally enjoyed parts of it. Other parts were kinda meh not for me. Its obviously made for teens to young adults. It's more LOTR Lite + Edge than it is GoT.

>>71082502
>mouthbreather
You forgot to call me faggot also, you're slipping anon. You've lost control of your own site, bro.
>>
>>71081651
the first law is awesome, can confirm
theres also some shattered sea series the guy wrote recently, those are decent too
>>
I suggest you get your pleb ass back to the /got/ general thread with the other mouthbreathers! :D
>>
>>71082638
Diversity is good except when it makes no sense. This has me slightly more interested. Is she suppose to be portraying a mixed race? Or is completely ignored and they just cast her flat out expecting people to ignore her race?
>>
>>71082725
Amusingly it seems like the newer generation of anons thinks mouthbreathers is some kind of insult just like the previous generation thought faggot was ... we all breath from our mouths, even you, when you sleep anon.
>>
>>71082757

It's completely unmentioned. Or at least what I can remember in the first few season.

Played off and completely normal and separated from the rest Europe
>>
>>71082691
I like to bounce between serious and fun books. Which kind of culture does the shattered sea divulge in? I have been reading the Weiss/Tracy series about the dragonships of vinddras. Which if you know these two ladies they wrote a lot of the D&D Lore books with Tasslehoff. But these books focus on a viking culture. Only curious.
>>
File: Elyan_series4promo.jpg (905 KB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Elyan_series4promo.jpg
905 KB, 2000x3000
>>71082757

This is Sir Elyan the White. A knight of the round table.

Also Gwen is just a servant in the beginning.

The show not bad but the casting has no rhyme or reason
>>
>>71080357
Problem Child 2
>>
>>71083054
The only way I'd accept that is if he had, like, Assange-esque white hair. That would actually be kinda cool.
>>
>>71083083
Hey, Problem Child 2 is a fun movie. I got no qualms watching Gilbert Godfree scream at some kids again.

>>71083054
Alright the casting doesn't bother me. The name is kinda wtfish. But maybe it's growing up in the 'mericas that has me lost. Do folks in Europe see this kind of casting as normal/okay/regular? I give Morgan Freeman as an example in Robin Hood. He played a Muslim Moor (Granted a chunk of Moors were Muslim) so it made sense.
>>
File: The-Musketeers-510816.jpg (55 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
The-Musketeers-510816.jpg
55 KB, 590x350
>>71083262

It's pretty common on BBC series. Even in historical shows

The musketeers for example
>>
>>71083508
At least there it makes sense. Lotta black and brown people in France. For example, Alexandre Dumas.
>>
>>71083262

Most diversity casting are unmentioned without any back story.

I agree with your Morgan Freeman example it gives an actual back story. But I can't stand casting a diverse cast just for the sake of diversity. It doesn't add anything to the story.
>>
>>71082457
>>71082757
>>71083262
You type like you talk and you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded. Stop.
>>
>>71082691
Isn't shattered sea YA? Apparently Abercrombie is writing new First Law Trilogy.

I think he said it will be about 25 years after The Last Argument of Kings so about 10 years after Red Country. Everyone is going to be so damn old. Shit if Logen appears he is going to be in his 60s or 70s.
>>
>>71084155
yes it is, dunno, i read it because of the norse/medieval culture
logen was already pretty old in the Red Country, i dont know
>>
>>71083589

If it doesn't add or detract anything from the story why do you care?
>>
>>71081374
I was joking. Don't waste your time with it
>>
I actually think it's better if he leaves Logen with Shivers do their thing and focuses on the rest of the story, like Bayaz, Glokta (i suppose he's not going to die out of the blue), the stuff in the north, shit's gonna be pretty hype
>>
The White Queen
The Hollow Crown
>>
Malazan is just as big in scope as GoT, probably even bigger. Way more fantasy elements too, huge mage battles and shit like that.
>>
>>71080357
oh, and i forgot to mention the Malazan Book of the Fallen, it's a pretty long series but I liked it a lot.
also, the Black Company novels are pretty good
>>
>>71084822
I honestly doubt Logen will appear like the one anon says he will be in his 70s if not older, hell he might be already dead by then. The man has lived the definition of a hard life. Glotka and Jezal will appear but not as a pov I honestly don't think any of the previous pov characters will be a pov. I do reckon that Jezal's bastard with Ardee and the one raised by Glotka and Ardee will probably be a pov character and one of the main characters

>>71084963
>>71085004

Malazan is indeed excellent.
>>
>>71085317
hope we're going to see some glokta parenting, hell, that would be amazing
>>
File: 220px-GeorgedragonDVD.jpg (23 KB, 220x303) Image search: [Google]
220px-GeorgedragonDVD.jpg
23 KB, 220x303
>>71084791

Having a puerto Rican or African in Authorian legend without any back ground explaining it does detract from the story. It's nonsense.

I have no Problem with pic related because it was explained and actualy added too the the story and character interaction
>>
>>71084963

Malazan has some major plotting and power creep problems.
>>
Outlander
>>
>>71083589
>It doesn't add anything to the story.
This is entirely true, and I used to feel as you do about this. I got swayed over hearing about how some dwarf actors now are going in for roles where the character is not a dwarf. It's not a statement so much as it is just a guy looking for work, since most acting jobs aren't calling for a midget and he's just a niche actor otherwise.
It's the same with a black guy . Most roles aren't calling specifically for certain colors, so why not send an application in and see what turns up? It's up to the casting dept. and director on what they do once the application arrives. Sure, maybe sometimes that lack of height or that skin difference will cause issues. You won't want a midget playing soldier or a homogeneous cast for Othello. It's only a real problem for a genuine historical. A four foot dwarf playing Napoleon won't fly outside a comedy, and Robert E. Lee won't be ordering mixed divisions around.

Otherwise, just work the character some so whatever minority trait has some reason for being. It's people looking for jobs and there's no reason to be raising a stink of unrealistic casting in fantasy so long as they can play the part.
>>
>>71085397

So what you're saying is that these fictional stories which include magic and take place in the fictional land of Camelot must follow the racial make up of the time frame and rough geographic area that it was written in? Do you plan to only allow magicians to play the role of Merlin? Only renaissance faire knights can play Lancelot et al?

These are fictional stories with magic in them and you're unwilling to consider that in this fictional world there are white and black people together at the same time?
>>
>>71085392
A child raised by Glotka and Ardee is going to be extremely intelligent and quick witted if they got Ardee's genes. If they take after their real father then they might be hopeless regardless of Glotka's parenting skills. I kind of hope Shivers is a pov again as I really enjoy him. Funny how a secondary character introduced in the second book of the trilogy ended up being one of Abercombie's best crafted characters. Plus he could take over Logen's role he should be in his 40's so around Logen's age in the first trilogy. It would fit nicely.
>>
>>71084059
And here's why it's a compliment. Faggots aka homosexuals have better sex lives than straight people. Something you'll suffer from lacking for most of your existence. So Faggot is a compliment to me, it means you're admitting I have more sex than you. The most basic insult of the internet is someone who cannot get laid. You can't be a faggot and not get laid.
>>
>>71085888
cant argue with that logic :^)
>>
>>71084904
I recently saw a trailer for the white queen, assuming you mean the tv show. Is it worth a watch? I tend to move away from renaissance times. But every so often I like to arise above those days and indulge in some musketeers.

What is the hollow crown? I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere.
>>
Wolf hall
>>
>>71085609

I don't hold the actors a fault at all. There just trying to get work. Nothing wrong with that. I'd probably do the same thing in their shoes.

It the producers who do it deliberately that I don't like. Acting is not only a skill atheltics do play a role.

I don't mind a european guy playing persian since Persians are Indo-European so he can pass as persian.

Now a white guy playing an Asian noble that already established as asian I would have a problem with.
>>
>>71085667

They are established legends and stories.

Would you have a Korean play Romulus and a Indian play Remus in a movie about the founding of Rome? It simply doesn't fit.
>>
>>71086175
consider that this is for TV shows, which tend not to have a very good choice of actors. Movies have the luxury of choice in who they cast.

Are there cases of casting with a bias or an agenda? Certainly. Is that always the case? Of course not. Just determine quality of the show by the show itself rather than worrying about casting choices. If a black man can play his part and do it well, so be it.
>>71086284
I had no issues with Dwayne Johnson playing Hercules, if that's what you're asking. It's a role that the actor can fit. Casting Kim Jong Un and Apu for a movie about the romans of course would not work, but if we think outside stereotypes and consider the actors as individuals, then perhaps there may be actors who can bring the required traits of Romulus and Remus to the table. Perhaps not. There are not all that many korean and indian actors outside the film industry of those countries.
>>
>>71085667

Also fictional tale of King Arthur is a mythologied telling of a period of Sub-roman britian.

Many of the characters are based on actual people or are multiple people rolled in to one.

Also
>Camelot
>fictional

Never heard of Camulodunum I take it.

Look up the Battle of Badon
>>
>>71086430
You're not going to be so obtuse as to claim that the King Arthur mythos and the ancient roman facts are one and the same, are you?
>>
>>71086399

Right I had no issue with Dwane Johnson playing Hercules either. He can pass physically for the time period. Despite bieng half black and half Samoan he still can look Mediterranean.

However I would not accept Idris Elba playing Hercules. Even though I really like him as an actor he simply does not fit the part.

Apearnece is part of an individual. Like it or not.
>>
>>71083581
Not really a lot, historically speaking
>>
>>71083508
BBC loves the BBC
>>
>>71080797
First Law trilogy is a great, gritty fantasy series.
>>
>>71086593
>Apearnece is part of an individual. Like it or not.
I'm not claiming otherwise. Sometimes it's better to have the acting ability than the looks though. It really depends on what's being made. With the main offender of this casting type being TV dramas, it's sometimes better to suffer through a guy who doesn't quite look the part than a guy who can't act the part.

>opinions
>>
>>71086284
>>71086430

Yes, and we know that no story has ever been adapted differently than the way it was originally put together.

Would you watch a white actor play those characters and speak in English instead of Greek or Latin? Do you require period accurate accents and vernacular? Or does the extent of your requirements for accuracy start and end with the race of the actors portraying the characters?

Camelot didn't exist in the original material so don't try and tell me that it's real. No historian will say that Camelot was a real place.
>>
>>71086495

King Arthur is based on multiple people that ruled during the post roman pre Anglo-Saxon britian. Ie sub roman britian.

You know most legends and mythologies are based on history right? Centuries of oral tradition and written tradition with each story teller adding thier own spin.
>>
>>71080357
Try and Watch some patrician shows instead of that drivel.
>Rome
>the last kingdom
>>
>>71081676
You're think of Holliday Granger. The Borgias is a great show
>>
>>71086954

Fair enough. My concern is more with it bieng done deliberately than out of necessity
>>
Watch the movie Excalibur.
>>
>>71087009

Race isn't the issue it if they can fit the part. As I mentioned here with The rock
>>71086593

My issue is stated pretty clearly here
>>71087070
>>
>>71087159

You're fine with The Rock because his skin color looks like what you're wanting for a person of that time period and geographic area. That's still focusing on race.

Let me put it more simply: The only degree of accuracy you're looking for is skin color. You don't care about accuracy of the language or the vernacular and that's what makes your argument weak.

>>71087036
>adding thier own spin

Like not caring about the skin color of the actors?
>>
>>71083581
Dumas was a quarter black, and his mother was an immigrant.
prior to modern times, the 1 drop rule wasn't applicable.
If you had a grand parent or great grand parent that was a different race, you were still seen as "white"

But also, the time period Dumas was writing about was prior to the slave trade, which meant a lot less african blood in france.
>>
>>71080357
the cg is on par with GoT
>>
>>71087718
just to be clear, you mean that in a positive way, right? GoT gets dragged through the mud every now and then, sometimes unfairly.
>>
>>71087328
>Only looking for skin colour

I specially stated that aesthetic is just a part of playing a role. It's not the only thing I'm looking at.

So you think appearance should have zero to do with casting?
>>
I found Vikings pretty good for a season or two.
>>
The last kingdom
Dracula untold
>>
>>71088742

I don't think SKIN COLOR should have anything to do with almost any casting choice.

For Hercules you need a huge muscle head. It doesn't matter what race the muscle head is, just that they're huge and that they're good actors.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.