[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 47
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUCK
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
>>70924318
Am I the only one who thinks Malik's films are grotesquely overrated?
>>
File: 16857L[1].jpg (23 KB, 694x530) Image search: [Google]
16857L[1].jpg
23 KB, 694x530
>>70924347
>The New World
>>
>>70924347

No, but everyone who thinks that is a filthy pleb, including you.
>>
>>70924318
literal kino
>>
>>70924376
He's not the worst director out there, but he thinks his themes are so deep and insightful, but really it just resembles what that kid in your Freshmen Highschool class who took acid before everyone else would think and say.

He makes True Detective tier movies, which is to say that anyone over the age of 18 really shouldn't be too impressed by what they're trying to convey
>>
What a pretentious piece of shit. Absolute waste of my time. Malick is a hack.
>>
>>70924424

What the fuck high school did you go to where freshmen were dropping acid?

That explains your pleb tastes, I guess.

I find that the best thing about Malick movies is his editing style, but the way he approaches his themes is also generally a lot more subtle and mature than other directors who tackle the same subject matter.

Compare The Thin Red Line to Saving Private Ryan, for example. Spielberg is one of my favourite directors but he took a pretty ham-fisted approach to the complexities of war.

Having said all that, he does go pretty overboard with the voice-overs and they're not generally very well-written.
>>
>>70924642
>his editing style
Knight of Cups is literally 'whatever isn't completely retarded film wise, stays in'
>>
>>70924682

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't really comment.

When his style is working well, it's great for creating atmosphere and catching wordless moments with the characters that allow good actors to shine - good examples are Tree of Life and Thin Red Line.

On the flip side, it can work against him by making the story lose its pace, which is the main problem with The New World.

You can make up your own mind as to whether or not Knight of Cups is in the former or latter category.
>>
>>70924682
>muh narrative
Go read a book
>>
File: 1462580243960.jpg (3 MB, 1348x5534) Image search: [Google]
1462580243960.jpg
3 MB, 1348x5534
10/10 film

pure kino
>>
It's a remarkable film and not suited to memellenial neo-/tv/

Live a bit, experience some love and loss. Those of you that are capable of such I mean, don't want to trigger anyone.
>>
>>70925559
That's a beautiful image, where's it from?
>>
>>70924374
I'll fight you, faggot. TNW was a masterpiece.
>>
>>70924544
you liked nothing at all about it? It was beautiful to look at at least?
>>
>>70924642
>but the way he approaches his themes is also generally a lot more subtle and mature

That's not how you spell meandering.

Go look at the actor roundtables where they literally say he needs a writer to fix his shit.

He shoots beautiful film, I don't think anyone says differently. Good eye and great locations.

Unfortunately movie making is more than that. Or at least, his movies never try to be Baraka or Samsara, even though they're closer to that.
The fact that he insists on having a structure there for a story, and the story then being utter shit because he doesn't seem able to tell one, just makes it a bigger failure.
>>
seeing all these people hate knight of cups makes me wonder what made people like tree of life so much.
>>
>>70925962
RT score
>>
>It's plebs call something sincere, honest and different 'pretentious' rerun from last night.

>>70925953
>'story being utter shit'
lmao. they're simple narratives, and outside of Tree of Life there's no real weakness in how he tells these narratives.
>>
File: natalie-portman.png (251 KB, 343x726) Image search: [Google]
natalie-portman.png
251 KB, 343x726
>>70924318
D R O P P E D
>>
>>70925953
>That's not how you spell meandering.
Wow, a movie about memories and self-reflection is meandering? I didn't know you organize your thoughts coherently with a three act structure.

>Go look at the actor roundtables where they literally say he needs a writer to fix his shit.
>listening to anything actors say

>Or at least, his movies never try to be Baraka or Samsara, even though they're closer to that.
Good job on noticing how his movies aren't documentaries.

>The fact that he insists on having a structure there for a story, and the story then being utter shit because he doesn't seem able to tell one, just makes it a bigger failure.
Why do you want stories? Film is not a narrative medium no matter how many plotholes you like to find in your superhero films.
>>
>>70926145
>Film is not a narrative medium

Film without a narrative is a series of pictures.

Even a documentary has a narrative. If you're too stupid to see a message in Baraka and Samsara that's just more evidence you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

But it's telling your defence of Malick boils down to "he makes pretty pictures, they don't need to mean anything".
>>
>>70926193
>Film without a narrative is a series of pictures.
Ever heard of an essay film? What's the story in Sans Soleil or F for Fake?
>>
>>70926193
Narrative refers to spoken or something that's written you dumb fucking retard. Like holy shit.

Malicks narratives (and like any good directors) are formed around visual storytelling, not spoken or written
>>
I pray for every shitposter ITT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcL4J0pzlAg
>>
File: single-pearl.jpg (60 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
single-pearl.jpg
60 KB, 680x680
>>70926193
>If you're too stupid to see a message in Baraka and Samsara that's just more evidence you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
>says the person too stupid to see a message in Knight of Cups
>>
File: ujustgot TROLED.jpg (86 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
ujustgot TROLED.jpg
86 KB, 400x400
>>70924376
>le pleb lol
>>
I'm convinced that Malik's recent filmography is a money laundering scheme.
>>
>>70926261

Good job refuting yourself in the space of a single post.
>>
they posted my entry TWICE fucken TWICE oh my GOD this FUCKING website! i hate the kino meme now why they take THIS fucking long??
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Kino
>>
>>70926364
No, I just pointed out that you think there is only one way to tell a story and that's spoken word exposition when you can tell it through visual storytelling involving everything related to what you see in the scene.

Idiot.
>>
>>70926333
Malick is independently wealthy from his family's oil money.
>>
File: 2.png (3 MB, 1337x1339) Image search: [Google]
2.png
3 MB, 1337x1339
>>
>>70926604
>>>/v/
>>
>>70926386
>memery
>by PatricianMaster June 10, 2016
you want this to be supported?
>>
>>70924347
Just this one
>>
>>70924318
I'm just like Christian Bale in Knight of Cups. A modern life poet, a knight of melancholy.
>>
>>70926749
I'm like a 1975 housewife who takes steroids and fucks girls during the day.
>>
>>70924424
Malick's recent slew of films go more for an emotional reaction from viewers than they lend toward intellectual heft. his films are indeed simplistic in themes and that's not necessarily a negative trait in and of itself. seems a lot of criticism here misconstrues simplicity of theme with intellectually or emotionally inferior work. his themes are universal and i believe his approach to storytelling is an attempt to convey these themes through semi-autobiographical montages that mimic non-linear memory. now whether you connect with the films or not depends on a lot of factors, life experience being one of them.

the fault in your criticism is this bit:
>he thinks his themes

when has he ever spoken about his work? you are not privvy to what "he thinks" so leave that out of your attempt at criticism, it has no place. he chooses to explore the themes he does because they're universal and resonate with nearly everyone who has experience with them. that's not to say you cannot have a negative reaction to his narrative style, techniques, or even the narrative itself. by all means, do so.
>>
>>70926862
Stream of consciousness describes his style very well too, agree 100% and I love his modern work.
>>
>>70925962
The Tree of Lifes themes resonate with a lot more people, I think.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJmxzE72KQk
GOAT Song
>>
>>70926969
Terrence has good taste in music, really good shit in KoC was that Burial song and other electronic music.

Solveig's Song too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii2Adi2iFRM
>>
>>70927044
>that Annie Clark song in To the Wonder
>>
>>0926934
indeed. i completely brain-farted on that. my bad, especially since yesterday was Bloomsday, stream of consciousness should definitely have been on my mind while writing that post.

for my part, i had more difficulty connecting with To the Wonder than i did with Knight of Cups. i understand Bardem's priest's struggles but i do no connect with them nor with Marina or Affleck's characters.
>>
>>70927242
Heh, and I had an issue with Priest's arc, it just comes out of nowhere ends abruptly. DC with a better pacing and more material would've fixed it I guess.

TTW was about depression and Marina the way I see it, and I could definitely get along with it. Knight of Cups and TTW are my favorite Malicks and two of my favorite iflms.
>>
>>70924642
>spielberg is one of my favorite directors
you can't call anybody else a pleb, buddy
>>
Who was best Cupfu?
>>
>>70925764
No it wasn't.
One of the greatest examples of a trailer being better than the movie.
>>
>>70927905
sweety
>>
>>70927905
>non white
Fucking disgusting.
>>
>>70928614
delete this
>>
File: ruh roh.png (624 KB, 669x499) Image search: [Google]
ruh roh.png
624 KB, 669x499
I usuallly love malick but even this shit was a little too self-wanking for me.
>>
>>70926125
>>
>>70929042
post feet.webm
>>
>>70929327
>>
>>70930875
Why are you bumping a thread that's a big shitpost you faggot
>>
>>70931100
bump
>>
Finally got around to watching this today.
The cinematography was incredible, the themes were interesting and the allegory itself was novel.

Shame literally everything else was shit.
The sound design was appalling. Where any other film would be laughed off for being amateur as fuck for not normalising and balancing sound levels, because it's Malick it's so deep and profound when you can't hear the character talking due to the background music

Editing was bad. They clearly used multiple takes of the same scene over and over, overlaid with some music and the odd bit of narration and called it a day. They didn't bring the viewer into the film. They didn't evoke a mood or make anything seem real. It veered towards Lynch at time when it was more dream-like, but never took it the full way so you end up with a mish-mash that lacked focus
>inb4 plebs pick up my reference to Lynch and call me a pleb cause they're completely different directors
Control your autistic sperging and read it again

Let's not get started on how incomprehensible the story was. Storytelling that relies on the audience to know an obscure story to understand it is lazy and crappy. I have a similar issues with sequels in general but at least there there's no shock since there would be little point watching a sequel without watching the first film since they tend to thematically be identical.
This wasn't that. Without reading the source material, there is almost zero explanation of what is happening. No Malick doesn't get a pass cause he studied philosophy. Philosophy is one thing, story-telling is another. Nevermind the philosophy in this was shit.
You don't see Hawking release a film where the characters discuss advanced quantum physics for 2 hours because it would be a shit film
And Knight of Cups is a shit film

They may as well have taken 2 hours of stock travel footage and hired someone to whisper over the top and would've achieved the same result.
But Christian Bale right?
>>
>>70931528
I want to take Malick's """philosophy""" even further
>suffering is God's way of showing he loves you and giving your life purpose

It's like he read Nietzsche's beyond Good and Evil and went "yeah, this guy's right: Christianity is slave morality, and boy is it awesome and great"
>>
File: KOC.jpg (918 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
KOC.jpg
918 KB, 1920x1080
>>70931528
>The sound design was appalling
I was absorbed by how well music and noises from environment were used to tell the story and convey emotion, I guess the best parts are the more aggressive parts when Rick, his brother and their father are fighting (or their scenes in general), but the dance club scene and the earthquake scene are also very, very good. You do need a good bass for those I believe.

>amateur as fuck for not normalising and balancing sound levels
Not everything needs replaygain, I use a 5.1 system with Genelec speakers and it was at 90% volume the entire time and it was really good experience wrt. to audio.

Listening this through 2.0 setup or headphones isn't comparable, I guess you missed a lot of it because of that, I've watched it twice with headphones and it ain't the same.

Editing, patching scenes together, the flow from scene to scene worked tremendously from me. It was like a damn river, and I *felt* and there is absolutely nothing of David Lynch here. That's reaching.

>incomprehensible story.
Hardly, the narrative is simple as heck and everything is told to you through directing, cinematography, mise-en-scene - visually.

>suffering is God's way of showing he loves you and giving your life purpose
idk how you've misread malick to something so negative and jaded.
>>
>>70931830
>idk how you've misread malick to something so negative and jaded.

Literally what the priest says to him, almost verbatim, in the film at the end
>>
>>
>>70924318
>From the director of tree of life
Top kek, it's another shitty presuntuous nonsensical pile of fucking nothing snorefest.
I'm set, no thanks.
>>
>>70925784
If I wanted to see pretty pictures, I'd just open a slideshow on Flickr.
>>
>>70931528
>Without reading the source material
wat
>>
>>70931528
>Control your autistic sperging and read it again
Maybe you should explain that comparison instead of defending it before other people bring it up. Otherwise it remains moronic.
>>
>>
>>70931528
>>70931752
>Lynch
>Nietzsche

>"Knight of Cups" is not a young man's movie. It's an old man's movie. A philosophically engaged, beatific, starchild-as-old-man's movie.
>>
>>70932527
>presuntuous
>>
>>
>>70924347
no
>>
Amazing kino but not his best.
>>
>>70924318
I really don't feel like arguing with everyone in the thread (I definitely did yesterday), so I'll just add my own two cents. This movie shows Malick operating on a whole new level. KoC stayed with me like no other films has; it's so dreamlike and reminiscent of memory and nostalgia, of things I've never even experienced. It was a gorgeous film and an emotional experience for me. I don't at all think you're a pleb if you can't dig Malick's films, but if you think they're pretentious or empty, you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
I love Malick but that was honestly the most pretentious film i've ever seen, and made for a horrible viewing experience.

I'm sad we will never see something on par with Days of Heaven from him ever again.
>>
File: KOC2.jpg (832 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
KOC2.jpg
832 KB, 1920x1080
>>70934816
My perception of environment, especially sounds and ambience changed after the film. I appreciate them more.

and I was in that thread last nite too m8, were you the one that couldn't get along with TTW?
>>
I enjoyed this much more than any of Malick's other films. As some others have said, the dream-like quality really appealed to me and it's the only of his works I'd consider rewatching.
>>
File: 1457070109082.gif (499 KB, 245x240) Image search: [Google]
1457070109082.gif
499 KB, 245x240
>>70924318
its much better to fall asleep and lucid dream /sleep paralysis while watching this at the same time.
closes thing to schizophrenia without being actually diagnosed.
>>
>>70934954
>As some others have said, the dream-like quality really appealed to me and it's the only of his works I'd consider rewatching.
I'm strongly belief he has had 4 identifiable phases in his career and Knight of Cups is the 4th one. He keeps evolving his style (that started in TTRL) with great success imho
>>
>>70934950
No, I do think that with TTW Malick wasn't entirely comfortable with his own pacing, but it's definitely not a film I disliked
>>
File: Knight Of Cups - Art Hershlag.webm (3 MB, 1000x424) Image search: [Google]
Knight Of Cups - Art Hershlag.webm
3 MB, 1000x424
>>
>>70935045
>evolving his style
I agree. I can't believe people find his films "bordering on self parody" when he's clearly finally perfecting his style and changing with each movie
>>
>>70935093
Pray for them, for them to accept the light
>>
Days of Heaven > Badlands >The Thin Red Line > The Tree of Life >>>> the new world>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>To the Wonder >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed >>>>>>>>>>> Knight of Cups

These are the ones i've seen, scooby is for reference.
>>
>>70935045
No way, Cups is definitely progeny of Tree.
>>
>>70935045
I can definitely see that. ToL seemed to have the same almost floating narrative of KoC but was much more grounded.
This feels very floating and transient and appealed to me much more, though I do love ToL.
>>
>>70935194
? I didn't deny the influence, but Knight of Cups is wildly different from Tree of Life (and even To the Wonder)
>>
>>70935178
I'm not even very religious, but I do find the general concept of spirituality interesting
>>70935184
Tree of Life>Knight of Cups>The Thin Red Line>Days of Heaven>To The Wonder>Badlands>The New World

I don't even think TNW is a bad film
>>
>>70926749
new pasta potential.
>>
>>70935227
I don't think so, all three follow exactly the same structure of revealing particular themes/aspects of life (childhood, relationships) with flowing montage and loosely connected scenes that evokes reminiscence. All of em also have Lubezki as DP.
>>
>>70935332
Heh, I am not religious either, never had belief to God(s) or some such, but I love Malick's films. Both To the Wonder and Knight of Cups feel so so strongly energetic and hopeful, positive that I can't help but to love 'em.

>tfw will never ever get to talk to Malick about random stuff.
>>
http://www.businessinsider.com/thomas-lennon-terrence-malick-knight-of-cups-2016-2

"“We’re all standing there and Malick hands out these pieces of paper to all of us,” Lennon said. “And the one he gave me said, ‘There’s no such thing as a fireproof wall.’ And I ask, ‘Is this something I’m supposed to say in the scene?’ and he said, ‘I don’t know.’”
>>
>>70935417
You can also tell the style nuMalick has is more of Malick than Chivo by comparing pre-Malick Chivo and working-with-AGI-Chivo to the work he has done with Malick. People seem to credit all of it to Chivo.
>>
File: Total%20Assburgeration.jpg (85 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Total%20Assburgeration.jpg
85 KB, 1440x1080
>>70935417
I'm not confident enough to write about why I think he has had 4 phases but when i rewatch his filmography I'll be sure to make this exact same thread and give you an answer
>>
File: Picture 38.png (328 KB, 582x393) Image search: [Google]
Picture 38.png
328 KB, 582x393
>>70934950
>>
>>70935433
I'd love to meet him
>>70935500
I think this is hilarious. But what he's doing, giving the actors room for natural interpretation, is a really cool thing. I'm a musician, and when I'm playing concertos, many composers don't give specific notation, or even any guidelines at all. Articulation and phrasing is all left up to me, and I see this as similar to what Malick is doing with his actors. Except if I'm playing Mozart, no matter what specific interpretive decisions I make, I am overall contained my the established style of the classical period. Malick is not only giving the actors leeway, but is allowing them to be completely unrestricted by typical acting concepts. He's doing everything he can to capture real action, not just performances, and while some may disagree, I think thus far it's been very effective.
>>
>>
>>70935500
bless Terry's soul
>>
>>70924347
If anything, he's underrated.
>>
>>70936818
This. I think ToL is fairly rated, perhaps Badlands as well, but the rest is hardly widely acclaimed
>>
>>70924424
i love the "x sounds like what a stoner/hippie would say" argument, like any of you plebs would know what emotional depth and profundity is even if it bit you in the taint

malick comparing suicidal depression to being swallowed by a snake is pithier than whole fucking books written on the subject

you're a pleb
>>
>>70934816
This
>>
>>70935045
Bablands and days of heaven.
Thin red line and New world
To the wonder and tree of life
Koc of cups.

I can't wait to see what's next
>>
>>70934816
Yes, this. There's something so haunting and beautiful about KoC. People who think it's pretentious have no life experience or just have absolutely no idea what they're talking about
>>
>>70935500
Based malick experimentating with cinema as always
>>
>>70937100
I feel malick is very similar to tarkovsky in that they both want the audience to feel films instead of " understanding" them.
>>
So is this /pretentiouscunt/ central?
Cause there's no way anyone who saw the film would like it unless they were an elitist dickbro that thought liking films that the mainstream doesn't somehow gives you cred
Or you could just be someone who assumes that every incoherent film must be good since you didn't get it

And no this film wasn't coherent. It is impossible to fully understand the film without reading the Pilgrim's Passage. But fucking Malick fags will lap it up anyway cause their god can do no wrong

Im 100% serious when I say Batman V Superman was twice the film this could ever hope to be
>>
I think it's the way the voices drift in out of the picture, or the dreamy glamour of every party in the film, or the way Malick links the mundane depression of an LA screenwriter with the sublimity of the nature and the universe. It really is about suffering to connect to something beyond yourself, as that priest says. Anyone whose ever been through even a shadow of what Bale experiences, or worse, can agree with me on that. Pain is self-transcending, it always points to what is greater than itself, to what can shoulder it.
>>
>>70937312
>having an inner life so barren you couldn't understand or relate to KoC
>thinks capeshit was better
>thinks movies like this are some puzzle box to tinker with and eventually What It All Means will pop out

lol pleb
>>
>>70937312
Terrence Malick is so sincere in what he tries to tell that it is all so obvious in the mise-en-scene. There's no great mystery, stop looking for some TWEEST like in Nolan's or Villeneuve's films..

Just let it sink
>>
>>
File: 1456444282103.jpg (217 KB, 680x1016) Image search: [Google]
1456444282103.jpg
217 KB, 680x1016
>>70937084
>I can't wait to see what's next
poetry
>>
>>70940383
>Oct 7th

GET HYPE
>>
Christian Bale makes that same pose in the dark Knight DVD cover.
>>
>>70924318
wow could they use any MORE fonts
>>
File: Natalie Portman (1).jpg (128 KB, 983x692) Image search: [Google]
Natalie Portman (1).jpg
128 KB, 983x692
An autobiographical meditation on vice vs. virtue, carnal pleasures vs spiritual love, money vs poetry, from a deeply Christian philosophy erudite from Texas, who has struggled with finding his place in the Jewified degenerate capital and is still crying everyday about his suicidial mariachi brother and harsh father. Experimental editing to evoke fragments of memories, intimate thoughts as prayers or confessions to evoke universal feelings, interweaving the micro and the macro. Just like tree of life opened with a story about nature vs grace, the pearl parable is about this constant struggle and quest to be a better man in this meaningless world; the pearl is the light (thin red line), the grace (tol), the wonder (to the wonder)
Terry admits in this flick that he's too fascinated with beauty, as he views it as the closest thing we wingless beasts have to reaching heaven; even though beauty is really the devil's temptation to make us shallow. He's a sinner and a hypocrite and he knows it. Bums and cripples are ugly and he knows they don't really belong alongside his perfume ads aestheticsand Hollywood actors. He knows Hollywood is Jewish hell but he still stays there and accepts their money because he loves shooting pretty Jewish actresses and their feetsies. He knows its a real struggle. It's an admission of guilt

>tfw you want to follow the way of Grace but Nature keeps pulling you back down
>tfw you want to be brought back to the Wonder but the Wonder is forever fleeting
>tfw the only way to be happy is to love, but love brings more pain than happiness
>tfw you'll never find the pearl
>tfw you wanna be like the monk but are closer to the pimp
>tfw you're a dog chasing a tennis ball in a swimming pool
>tfw Hershlag will never tell you to open your mouth

Begin
>>
File: Knight Of Cups Deuteronomy.jpg (746 KB, 795x1394) Image search: [Google]
Knight Of Cups Deuteronomy.jpg
746 KB, 795x1394
>>
File: Malick Wedding.jpg (29 KB, 356x530) Image search: [Google]
Malick Wedding.jpg
29 KB, 356x530
You shall love whether you like it or not. Emotions, they come and go like clouds. Love is not only a feeling. You shall love. To love is to run the risk of failure, the risk of betrayal. You fear your love has died, perhaps it is waiting to be transformed into something higher.
>>
>>70942135
Begin, but you'll inevitably fail, so you'll have to Begin again. Life for the spiritual man is a constant beginning and returning to this Home. But that is the nature of it. Excess, decadence, carnality, this just a playing in the streets, an empty diversion, and inevitably the sun will always set. But the home one returns to at dusk is eternal.
>>
File: TYBM.webm (2 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
TYBM.webm
2 MB, 1920x816
>>70942382
To the Wonderrrrrrrr
To the Mass
Till the dew drip down the grass
>>
File: America.webm (3 MB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
America.webm
3 MB, 1280x544
>>70943758
To all this bitch's ass
To all wheat fields motherfucker
All wheat fields goddamn
>>
>>70924318
Looks boring.
>>
>>70924318
I think that this is Lubezki's best looking film so far.
>>
File: 1458421429505.jpg (92 KB, 613x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458421429505.jpg
92 KB, 613x1024
Why are Malick fans so autistic? You can't make any kind of criticism without them sperging out. Seriously it's every single thread without fail. Even to suggest one of his weakest films like TTW or KoC aren't that great is heresy to them.
>>
Malick is on the way down, for sure.

The Tree of Life: 8.5/10. Had some editing and pacing issues, specifically it feels like it climaxes in the first third of the film and then slides into nothing the rest of the film.

To the Wonder: 5/10. Masturbatory love story that felt like a 2 hour perfume commercial.

Knight of Cups: 2/10. Utter pice of shit. Basically unwatchable.

I wish Malick would have retired after The New World.
>>
>>70944948
Most of the time what happens are plebs, spergers or just baiters. Just look at this OP.
Nice try with the falsehoods, though.
>>
>>70926078
>>70926934
>>70927044
>>70927905
>>70935045
knight of cucks really was visually lackluster compared to his older films and what do you get if you have a malick film without good visuals? just a film with voiceovers about the """soul""" written by a 70 year old recluse.
>>
>Voyage of Time is an upcoming 2016 IMAX documentary film written and directed by Terrence Malick. The film is said to be an examination of the birth and death of the known universe. Malick has been working on the film for over 30 years and it has been described by Malick himself as "one of my greatest dreams".
>Voyage of Time is a celebration of the universe, displaying the whole of time, from its start to its final collapse. This film examines all that occurred to prepare the world that stands before us now: science and spirit, birth and death, the grand cosmos and the minute life systems of our planet.
This sounds interesting but I'm worried it's going to be more spiritual waffle than science. Would be incredible to see on the big screen none the less.
>>
>>70945125
>knight of cucks
haha
epic!
>>
>>70945372
muscle memory :^)
>>
>>70945420
LMAO
im also a hardcore memer
>>
File: terry.jpg (74 KB, 800x789) Image search: [Google]
terry.jpg
74 KB, 800x789
>>70929454
Based Malick.

>ywn suck on Hershlag's sweaty toes
>>
>>70945462
please don't shitpost we're having a serious discussion about terrence hacklick
>>
>>70945488
>terrence hacklick
omg how do u come up with dese dank memes???
>>
>>70944948
Because the "criticisms" that are made are childish. See the post below yours.
>>
>>70945007
>le ebin perfume commercial ebin burn XDDD

you forgot "more style than substance" and "pretentious" you silly memer
>>
>>70945557
this is /tv/

and i don't see other fans of directors have an autismal shitfit when people say their movies are bad.
>>
>>70945719
But you'd be saying falsehoods if you said that Malick has ever made a bad film.
I will pray for your spiritual salvation tonight. You will find your spark one day, anon.
>>
Who's the best Malickfu? Vote here.

http://www.strawpoll.me/10513812
http://www.strawpoll.me/10513812
>>
>>70945716
Since crafting a potently polarising masterpiece with 2011's The Tree Of Life, Malick has become a man on a mission. A mission to stuff a movie so full of coded self-indulgence it seems like a perverse joke that has misplaced its own punchline. The result is ludicrous self-parody - somewhere between a Calvin Klein aftershave advertisement and a coffee-table book about the modernist mansions of the rich and famous.
>>
>>70945719
But I see plenty of call responses from Malick fans, and plenty of shitfits from haters
>>
>>70945302
>dude celebrating life and beauty is gay lmao

man i wish i could be a cool dark nihilist like you. so epic
>>
>>70945823
>>70945462
>>70945520
>>70945716
>>
>>70945814
unfeeling autists will defend this

>dude it's self-indulgent because it wrestles with universal human problems lmao

go back to starbucks
>>
>>70945863
I never said Malick doesn't have cancerous fans, many directors do, but there are plenty of calm and thought out responses as well as lots of idiotic, closed minded hatred
>>
>>70945854
>*whispers gently in your ear* "the soul"
DEEP
>>
>>70945814
>self parody
See >>70935093
>>
File: Untitled.png (157 KB, 750x308) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
157 KB, 750x308
Can you just admit it was shit?

>inb4 critics are plebs they don't understand it, i know more about film from browsing 3x3 threads, letterboxd general and shitposting on a anime based imageboard

Why does TToL and TTRL have good reviews then?
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 250x200
>>70924318
Eh !?
>>
>>70946069
But it isn't 'shit'. It's his weakest film, however
>>
>>70945923
>it's a "ankle-deep millenial scoffs at art because he's been conditioned to view anything with a modicum of heart and aesthetic sensibility as pretentious and self-indulgent" episode again
EPIC
>>
>>70946171
>a millenial who literally thinks in maymays thinks student film: the director is impressive because hes never been exposed to student film
>>
>>70946069
>that consensus
>diminishing narrative returns
>watching malickino for the plot

famalam...
>>
> To the Wonder shouldn't be passed off as "self-parody," but as Malick's self-destructed misfire.
>To the Wonder is visually deep and beautiful, but the characters and story are complete non-factors for the film.
> There are ideas that are trying to come out in this film, but as to how successful Malick is in conveying those ideas on screen is where the film loses a lot of its effect.
> Will Malick ever tire of his soulful child-women? How long can you linger on feet bouncing off sea-soaked mudflats before it becomes a poetic indulgence?
> The film breaks faith with its audience by asking us to care about two profoundly antipathetic characters spouting pseudo-poetic banalities.
> Maybe I've been hanging out with the wrong women my whole life, but I don't know anyone who spins this much. Instructors in spin classes don't spin this much.
what's the deal with the spinning anyway?
>>
>>70946069
Because they're much more... not coherent, but more comprehensible, I suppose. And much, much more relatable. Yes, even TTRL, as the themes from those movies, while not being somethong that everyone can relate to, are universal in the sense that wwe've all been exposed to them.

TToL is just like that, too. KoC seems much more relatable to depressed males, while most people can relate to the characters and themes from TToL.

On that note, I think that one of the main reasons why people defend KoC so much (myself included) is because they can relate to what the films portrays, which is depression.

So yeah, it's because it's not as "coherent" as TToL.
>>
>>70946235
>films
*film
>as the themes from those movies
*as the themes from that movie
>>
> Malick risks wandering into self-parody, and the only thing that holds him back is that the themes in Knight of Cups at least feel worth exploring.
> Terrence Malick is pushing it.
> More often than not Malick's pursuit of beauty feels like self-parody, culminating in a frustrating experience where meaning is as elusive as plot.
> By pushing his experimental inclinations further than ever before, [Malick has] ended up with something that's strangely bereft of poetry or emotional resonance.
> How many times do we need to see Terrence Malick tell the same pointless wisp of a story before someone starts to wonder if he has any other stories to tell at all?
> With vacant eyes and mouth agape, man continues his seemingly irrevocable fall from innocence, in Terrence Malick's eternally juvenile seventh feature Knight of Cups.
> Malick has a history of confounding moviegoers. But his latest piece of foggy strangeness plays like a two-hour trailer for a more linear 100-hour movie.
>>
>>70946208
>it's an autist who can't see past the technical aspects to the mood it is trying to evoke
>>
>>70946319
waahhh mommy what's going on mommy i dont get it what's going on waaahhh whose that is he the killer waahhhhh
>>
Who else can't take bale seriously anymore?
He just tries too hard and his "american" accent is a joke.
>>
>>70936906
>Days of Heaven
>TTRL
>hardly widely acclaimed
Wut

The former is considered one of the greatest films of the 20th century and the latter had pretty much everyone trying to get a part
>>
>>70946753
Critically acclaimed, sure, but the majority of people wouldnt know them, whereas many that aren't even into movies have likely heard of Tree of Life
>>
>>70937312
>So is this /pretentiouscunt/ central?

Its always been that way here.
>>
>>70948434
If only it were, if fucking only. It NEVER has been, and it's now more 'plebbed' than ever
>>
>>70948600
I think people rating shit films highly and claiming "you just dont understand it" is pretentious and that happens all the time here. Pretentious and plebs are not opposite, i would argue this board is filled with pretentious plebs.
>>
>>70925559
where's za warudo
>>
File: thin red hill.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
thin red hill.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Ranked based on personal enjoyment
1. The Thin Red Line
2. Badlands
3. The Tree of Life
4. Knight of Cups
5. To the Wonder
6. Day's of Heaven
7. The New World
>>
File: Screenshot_20160618-083614.png (705 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160618-083614.png
705 KB, 1920x1080
Fantastic director
>>
>>70924424
>He makes True Detective tier movies
how dare you compare that fedora trash to malick
>>
>>70951335
Why feed troll? Either he is one from the irc shitpost group or just a lost case
>>
>>70951335
>anything popular is bad
Typical malickautist
>>
>>70949968
You assuming rating Malick films high with said reasoning is pretentious.

Of course, board filled with gameofhtornes and superhero worship wouldn't have the sense to appreciate art
>>
File: To the Wonder.jpg (706 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
To the Wonder.jpg
706 KB, 1920x816
You will love, whether you like it or not.
>>
>>70924318
i loved it
>>
>>70924318
>>70924347
>>70924424
>>70924544
>>70924682
>>70925953
>>70926193
>>70928910
>>70931528
>>70931752
>>70934932
>>70937312

The movie is "structured" the way it is for a reason. It's the greatest part about the film, and also the most unbearable. It represents the theme of the film moreso than any of the scenes themselves. I don't want to just spell it out for you, because it's something that's better for you to discover for yourself, but if you must know then keep reading.

The film is about a man trying to find meaning in his life. This isn't something unique. Mankind has been trying to find meaning in life since the very beginning. One of the ways we do this is by telling stories. We use stories to explain the things we don't understand, and fill in the blanks. We construct narratives for ourselves and for others to justify how we've lived. We love stories and always have. The popularity of movies is a prime example of this, and the backlash towards this film shows you just how much we cling to a narrative. But life does not have a narrative. Life is a series of events unfolding seemingly at random. We witness these events, and we create narratives from them. Remember again that Rick is trying to find meaning in his life. He is unable to find his own narrative. When he looks back through his memories all he sees is a series of seemingly unrelated moments. Not gonna get into the parts about Buddhism and Catholicism, but both of those conversations really add to the film when you look at it through this lens.
>>
File: Bale goes swimming.jpg (1019 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Bale goes swimming.jpg
1019 KB, 1920x1080
>>70952131
Lets pray they see the light
>>
>>70925559
>minor arcana
>significant
>>
>>70924318
this is literally Tree of Life: Senility Edition
>>
>>70924318
One of my favorite flicks desu senpai
>>
thin red line is the greatest film of all time and a complete masterpiece on an epic scale... changed my outlook on life literally, only film to ever do that. for that, he can be forgiven for some nonsensical films sometimes.
>>
>>70935332
Badlands is top tier though
>>
Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.