[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3 Women
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
i really liked this, especially the visuals and how natural the dialogue was, and duvall was really good in it

does altman have any other movies worth watching that are stylistically similar
>>
>>70869125
McCabe
>>
>>70869166
the western aesthetic isnt really appealing to me, but i will watch it anyways. thank you
>>
>>70869248
I think you'll like it if you're into naturalism. It's very authentic.
>>
>>70869286
i am. i read that he doesn't script a lot of climactic scenes, which is great. i imagine with bad casting it could turn out poorly though, but duvall and spacek had good chemistry
>>
Have you seen Persona? He was inspired by that.

More movies inspired by Persona.

http://www.indiewire.com/2015/03/watch-29-movies-shaped-by-and-preceding-ingmar-bergmans-persona-a-video-essay-133043/

I recommend Mulholland Drive.
>>
>>70871537
this is good
>>
>>70869125
I loved 3 women! I watched it with my family and they kept making fun of that scene when duvall says "you dont smoke, you dont drink, you dont do what you're suppose to do" and when Duvall's character kept having her dress outside her car. They thought it was an awkward film though. I would also recommend McCabe. Has anyone watched Brewster Mccloud?
>>
>>70871711
yeah i like it. everything he did post mash was good pretty much, he has his own production company and a lot more creative freedom
>>
If you're interested in movies about young women in the 70s, maybe Foxes. Paper Moon. Taxi Driver. Just about anything by catherine breillat. You might like all the movies by Ken Russel.

As for Altman, he kind of prided himself on making a completely different movie every time. The only thing he made close to this was maybe Quintet. I'll warn you though, Quintet was boring as fuck.

Naturalistic portrayals of normal women could include Looking for Mr. Goodbar. Various Woody Allen. There's other stuff out there, but can't think of it off the top of my head. Sally Field in Norma Rae was pretty top notch.
>>
>>70871772
*had
>>
>>70871711
The only good thing about Brewster is that you get to see Duval naked. After that it's pretty shit.
>>
>>70871841
haha thanks! I'll be sure to stay away from it. I thought the same about thieves like us. Any opinions about buffalo bill and the indians? Ive been looking for something from altman that is similar to 3 women and McCabe.
>>
>>70871984
Unfortunately, like I said, he tries to be really different every time. Really unusual in the modern era. Any era really.

I don't think he did anything close to 3 Women again. I liked it too.

I got on an Altman kick a few years back and watched all his stuff. The Long Goodbye is one of his better ones after 3 Women, I think. But it's not like 3 women really. 3 women is his most artsy movie and then Quintet which is really slow.

Images is slow. A Wedding is slow. Thieves Like Us has really great cinematography. It was shot by some French New wave cinematographer and looks amazing. Prarie Home Companion is good if you like Garrison Keilor. Mrs. Parker is all right, directed by his protoge, Alan Rudolph.

Buffalo Bill is all right. I really wish it had been better. It looks great and the performances are great they just have a shit script to work with.

I think Countdown from 67 is one of his best, actually. Great script, great performances. It's dated though, because it's about going to the moon before we went to the moon.

I actually really liked OC and Stiggs. His attempt at an 80s comedy. Very unusual.

Haven't seen everything on his resume but I'm not sure if the other ones are worth watching. There's some thing on there I didn't mention and it's for good reason. They're so forgettable. He vacillates between doing artistic movies and shameless box office bait. Sometimes, he tries to mix the two and like in MASH, it sometimes works. Ironically, I think all his box office bait movies completely tanked.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.