[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Ridley Scott stop making good movies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 321x437) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 321x437
Why did Ridley Scott stop making good movies?
>>
>>70850461
The Martian was good.
>>
>>70851762
no it wasn't
>>
>>70850461
your thinking of Tony
>>
>>70850461
he's a very uneven director, most of his 90's movies are mediocre as well as everything he's done in the past 6 years
>>
Why did Tony have to kill himself? His movies were fun. He didn't take himself too seriously. He was by far the better director. Why couldn't Ridley have jumped off the bridge? At least then we wouldn't have to deal with the painful sequel to Blade Runner and this shitty Alien prequels/sequels/extended universe garbage.
>>
>>70850461
More important question is why did his brother stop making movies altogether?
>>
>>70851853
It was okay.
>>70852653
If Unstoppable was made in the 70's, it would be hailed as a classic.
>>
>>70852653
he had terminal cancer
>>
>>70852729
Not according to the coroner
That was a cover story because suicide due to mental illness is embarrassing to the family
>>
>>70850461
He didn't. "Ridley scott has got bad" is a stupid fucking meme.

Kingdom of Heaven was one of his strongest movies.

Body of Lies is probably the best modern spy thriller we've got out of mainstream moviemaking (fuck you Zero Dark Thirty)

Prometheus was a well made film with a seriously bad script.

Exodus G&K was supremely misunderstood and was actually a very decent film (and it's a disaster that it's not getting a DC since there was something like 1.5 hours cut out by the studio)

The Martian was a bit meme-tier but good nonetheless.

Granted, Robin Hood, A Good Year and Counselor were shite but that's a better hit rate than most directors - and the guy's making a movie faster than 1 every 2 years which is a rarity.
>>
>>70852012
You're
>>
>>70852710
I don't love Unstoppable, but it is a fun almost campy little movie, and that's why I liked Tony. Even if its not a masterpiece, you can enjoy it. Like Days of Thunder, Top Gun, True Romance, were all awesome. Then you get stuff like the The Fan, The Last Boyscout, and all those movies he did with Denzel Washington. They're fun entertaining movies.

Tony knew what film making was about and his presence is sorely missed.
>>
>>70852653
Evil wife.
>>
>>70852882
Man on Fire was pretty great I thought. I really enjoyed him pushing the modern frenetic editing style to its almost ridiculous logical conclusion.
>>
Was G.I. Jane his best movie?
>>
>>70852935
Man on Fire was intense. That scene with the cigar cutter and the cigarette lighter was fucking ridiculous.

Deja Vu wasn't bad either. Really, a lot of his movies straddled a fine line, but they are almost all worth a watch if only once.
>>
>le The Martian was bad meme
>>
>>70852012
...still too soon
>>
Ridley Scott was never much of a film maker. Alien is just as much a work of its crew than it is Scott's, so in Scott's perspective it was a fluke.

Tony Scott on the other hand was a far better director.
>>
>>70850461
He has always been really scattershot. He knows how to film a movie but he always seems lost with the character elements if they aren't hardwired into the script itself.
>>
>>70850461

All directors have a shelf life, usually right after a long hiatus.
>>
>>70852989
>Tfw no one ever talks about thelma and louise
>>
>>70851853
this. It was shit
>>
My rank is

1. Alien
2. Blade Runner
3. White Squall

Don't much care for anything else he's done...
>>
>>70850461
Imagine if he had died after making Blade Runner? His resume would look like this:
The Duellists
Alien
Blade Runner
He would be praised as one of the all time greatest filmmakers and people would say that he had the potential to be bigger than Kubrick
>>
>>70852710
Unstoppable was hilariously incredibly bad. I watched it because Tony Scott directed. Holy shit he lost his way. My favourite scene is where they hype up some 23 kid who just got back from Afghanistan. Tether him to a helicopter and repeatedly bounce him off the roof of the train. I remember showing it to other people just so they could see how bad it was. Also whose idea was it to put every camera in the damn movie on a constant rotation. Seriously it just spins around the actors non stop. That's not a replacement for cinematography ffs
>>
>>70852835
KoH sucks mokey balls
Its pure shit
>>
>>70852835
Kingdom of heaven is such a flawed master piece. Why o why Orlando bloom was cast I'll never understand. Also the frame rate chopping and filmic grit during action scenes was identical to black hawk down. I don't agree with the politics of that movie or the dick suckling the US military gets by default by hollywood but holy shit was it awesome.
>>
>>70855196
>>70855225
The extended edition/director's cut, whatever it's called adds a hell of a lot to the movie.
>>
The Counselor was the best film of 2013
>>
>>70857232
That's the one I watched, the critics rightly savaged the first release. It needed the 3 hours, but alas movie execs wanted 1 1/2 hours and that ruined R Scott's reputation until the directors cut. My previous assessment still stands: it's a flawed masterpiece
>>
>>70852835
>the counselor was shit
>gods and kings was good
has contrarianism gone too far?
>>
American Gangster is his last great film
>>
>>70857614
The theatrical version of that one was a lot better though
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.