[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Birdman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: a_900x0.jpg (168 KB, 900x1333) Image search: [Google]
a_900x0.jpg
168 KB, 900x1333
What do people think of this film?
Honestly one of my favourites.
>>
Artsy fartsy crap.
>>
It's not a straightforward "fun" flick nor dark edgy thriller so people here hate it
>>
>>70837693
Pretty good.
In pleb terms: it looks very nice and it's a fun watch.
In not-so-pleb terms: Keaton's acting is terrific, there's multiple sub-texts throughout and it's refreshing in terms of style and setting.
>>
>>70837835
oh and i forgot the most important part, it makes me feel better than those who didn't like it
>>
>>70837835
It's very sadly ironic that now Keaton will play the Vulture in the next Spiderman capeshit, I hope he did it for the express purpose of irony.
>>
>>70838055
yeah that kinda disappointed me in a way
I almost wanna go see it, just to see if Keaton is blatantly being ironic and parodying himself some more, but I'm reminded that capeshit is garbage and I might as well rewatch Tim Burton's Batman films (which aren't too great themselves) and Birdman
>>
run of the mill arthouse flick with enough actors that normies recognize to make them feel comfortable with it while still allowing them to feel smarter than their peers. really bland and trite narrative. keaton was ok in it in spurts. there are dozens of remarkably similar movies made annually, this one just had the right gestalt aesthetic with the quasi-superhero element to garner just enough attention, but not too much.

overall, a very tired and played out movie. some of the dialogue is sincerely outright bad, also.
>>
>>70837693

American shite.
>>
Too self involved and unimportant. I'm open for a good interpretation tho.
>>
loved the soundtrack and found it really great
you really dont see a lot of movies like it
>>
I liked it, every subplot is intriguing, keaton is just grand (but I prefer norton's interpretation ), great visuals, appropriate ost

Not one of my favs but hey there's plenty of things to like here, you have to try hard to dislike it as a whole

>>70838202
>some of the dialogue is sincerely outright bad
gotta agree with this, everything else you said makes sense as well, it's not a revolutionary movie, but it's incredibly well done
>>
>>70837693
That film was influenced by a gorilla playing the drums, Naomi Watts was cast solely to invoke King Kong.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAOZ14Tjg7A
>>
Boring and tedious. Same plot with the same desultory subtext has been done ad nauseam. One of those American Beauty type narratives that late teens and early 20s college intellectuals like to fasten their identity to and wear like a fashion accessory around their friends who like superhero movies.

Someone said it above, but this same movie is made and often done better like 10 times a year. Blah.
>>
The film is a "long one shot" because it tries to show the viewer the dynamism of the 3 days of Keaton's character life. The big problem is, due to this idea, the development of the character is flawed, every single one of the character besides Keaton and the NY Times critic are pointless for the movie, these other characters have no importance to the plot at all and/or a interesting concept (Norton may be a exception, yet for me he's not a interesting character). The plot of the movie is good and could be better if it wasn't for the ending, while the ending is an allegory that when the meteor crashes and Keaton's character and Birdman will merge, but Keaton's character kills himself in the end denying the sucess he achieved to become Birdman, trashing the hole concept about his character. The greatest thing about the movie is the score, it was the only thing I could think about after I saw the movie.
>>
I wasn't particularly impressed which is fairly par for the course with most of Iñárritu's films to date.
>>
>>70838489
Keaton is about stereotypes, it's a parody on his own life, he played Batman and then is career just, just.

Keaton crossed into mainstream capeshit and spent the rest of his career trying to prove he was an actor.
>>
>>70838633
That's obvious, my previous post is my reading of the film, which I'd give 6,5
>>
File: Chivo 5.png (858 KB, 1273x521) Image search: [Google]
Chivo 5.png
858 KB, 1273x521
I walked out loving it but over time I like it less and less. A lot of it seemed frivolous, Kat Dennings and King Kong 2005 making out didn't add anything and I find less and less substance the more I see past all the snappy dialogue and beautiful directing.

But I walked out of the Revenant thoroughly impressed on a technical level but underwhelmed story-wise and now I think its far better than Birdman.
>>
>>70838633
>capeshit
no one is going to take you seriously outside of whatever hbo general you came from if you keep doing this. it's understood that those movies aren't very good and don't have much value. you don't have to make sure everyone knows that you think of yourself as above them in every post.

birdman is as bad as capeshit, relatively speaking, btw.
>>
>>70838770
I came from /sp/ via /pol/
>>
Movies that try really really hard to be taken seriously as art or as intelligent come off really badly.

A skilled director like Welles or Lean can accomplish so much more characterization and insight just with photography and mis en scene than Inarritu can with outright screaming dialogue.
>>
>>70838693
I think that it's possible to read the ending as a case of magical realism, especially judging from his daughter's reaction to what is supposedly suicide. Or, if he does die, whether he dies on stage (and the hospital room is some kind of afterlife) or after jumping out of the window.
>>
>>70837835
I like Keaton a lot, and he wasn't bad at all, but I think he's much more suited to roles that require subtle acting. I really think his work as the cop in Jackie Brown and Batman is better than him in Birdman. When he's being very melodramatic and screaming, he's just another competent actor who can be melodramatic and scream convincingly, but i don't think that many actors could pull off his subtler work as well and as memorably.
>>
>>70838873
sounds like a big cop out given the tone and nature of the entire film that preceded it.
>>
>>70839016
4u
>>
>>70838873
I think not, specially because of the sound of something crashing at the end and not to mention the meteoryte
>>
>>70838055
>>70838100
Or you could acknowledge that birdman is just a film, not a realistic portrayal of Keaton
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.