[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm attending film school next year and it's like to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1444081265076.jpg (2 MB, 1185x1799) Image search: [Google]
1444081265076.jpg
2 MB, 1185x1799
I'm attending film school next year and it's like to be prepared. What would you say are essential movies to watch to understand cinema?
>>
I would recommend not going to film school.
>>
>>70817863
It's more of a trade school, actually. Really focused on production and getting students jobs. I'll probably end up doing color correction or some shit. I just want to be knowledgeable.
>>
Watch Die Hard as many times as possible.
It'll be on all the tests.
>>
Watch movies in general. Secluding yourself to only "masterpieces" will just make you extremely closed-minded and a bit of a fanboy. Watch movies outside of your comfort zone a lot. Mostly like sci-fi? Try French new wave. Like action movies? Try a slow-ass foreign drama. It'll round you out a lot and help you develop a style.
>>
>>70817846
Just watch the IMDb top 250 first.
>>
>>70817846
Problem Child 2
>>
Alright I get the point. Thanks, guys I'll just keep watching movies.
>>
>>70817937
Which film school? Best off trying everything and seeing what you like before you decide what you want to do. I tried everything at film school before I decided what I wanted to do
>>
>>70818474
Colorado film school
>>
>>70817846
I don't know if you know this, but for example, tarantino only went to films, and didn't go to film school. Look where he's at now. A lot of great director took the going to films route to learn filmmaking. Think about it senpai.
>>
>>70817846
Stop just watching movies and start thinking about movies. What exactly makes them good or bad. And I don't mean just dissect the plot, a great movie can get away with a shit plot if you know how to make a movie.

For a comparison, if you want to become a sports coach/athlete, you stop watching sport as a fan and start analysis why people win/lose, it's exactly the same.
>>
batman v superman

if you think its shit, then film school will be wasted on you.
>>
>>70818615
Nobody is going to give me money for a movie because I've seen a lot of movies. Tarantino is one in a million.
>>
>>70818642
I already do this. I didn't want to act cocky in my post but I'm well on my way to being ready. I was just looking for recommendations I guess.
>>
>>70818684
No problem anon, I just wanted to let you know. Some say if you won't go to film school it'll show, but idk.
>>
ok here's the thing, what's the best most grossed kino right now? in this age? that's right, it's fucking avatar, they got 2 fucking billion TWO billion, holy fuck, it's not about the story, it's about the goddamn visual effects, look at bvs, it's a shitty movie, OH BOY DO PEOPLE STILL WATCH IT? OF COURSE THEY STILL WATCH, CAUSE IT'S A BATMAN MOVIE, HECK EVEN I FUCKING WATCH IT 3 TIMES, CAUSE IT'S A GOD DAMN BATMAN MOVIE EVEN THOUGH IT'S SHIT, so what you gotta do son you gotta find a superhero/existing franchise bullshit be it from games whatever, and turning it, into movie, 100% guarantee you're going to succeed. -sincerely Rich Moore.
>>
>>70817846
When I took a film course at University, we had to watch Tootsie and Singin' in the Rain. I can't remember what else. Save your money.
>>
I'm in film school right now and one thing that really shocked me is how many plebs there are. I thought the memes were just memes but it's all true, all of it. All they watch is stuff in the theatres and occasionally a sundance approved indie but for the most part they are completely ignorant of anything outside of American cinema. Like the only Japanese director a lot of them know is Kurosawa and all they've seen is some youtube video about why Seven Samurai is good but they won't actually watch Seven Samurai because it's "too long". One thing that people have said in this thread and people that I have talked to that work in the industry (some in high places) is to really develop your own sensibilities. Watch a lot of movies and then if you like a film or a filmmaker, see what films or filmmakers inspired them and you will find a lot of interesting shit. Watch films from everywhere too there is a lot of great stuff out there.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.