[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>GIVE UP THE HALFLING SHE-ELF!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: flighttotheford80.jpg (56 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
flighttotheford80.jpg
56 KB, 850x400
>GIVE UP THE HALFLING SHE-ELF!
>>
post kissbacks
>>
>>70693108
how did they know she was a she-elf, did they even bother to ask her pronouns??
>>
>>70693162
They can see her female and half-elven soul just by looking at her, they don't see what she is wearing.
>>
>>70693108
Love this scene but it was kind of annoying reading the book a few months ago only to find out it wasn't even her carrying frodo.

Was hackson on a forced strong womenz ting?
>>
>>70693217
It made sense for arwen to replace glorfindel

it was a better introduction for her character, especially in terms of the whole love story

glorfindel was just an unnecessary in a movie context
>>
>>70693217
Yeah it's a damn shame my nigga Glorfindel didn't appear in the films, would have been great.

I don't mind it terribly though, Arwen was alright and more prime Liv Tyler screentime wasn't necessarily a bad thing.
>>
>>70693217
No, it's because you need a love story in your hollywood movie. Arwen is incredibly secondary in the books, even more so than characters like Grimtongue.There is absolutely no love story in the Hobbit book, so he added Tauriel and made that other dwarf look like a human, so it wouldn't look that weird to viewers (imagine Tauriel x Bombur)

The strong womenz thing was in Eowyn, but that's from Tolkien's books.
>>
>>70693287
>>70693348

I guess so, Like I said I did love this scene and she is one of the rare cases where being a 'strong' woman actually works without being cringe worthy.. It was a great way of demonstrating her power after a tense chase scene, instead of hacking up men or wraiths with her sword.
>>
>>70693415
was Tolkien a misogynist?
>>
>>70693656
All intelligent men are
>>
>>70693656
No, otherwise there would have been no Eowyn character in his plot.

And there are some badass women in The Silmarillion.
>>
>>70693217
Arwen's story is deeply embedded in the overall plot because of how much Aragorn's love for her propels his character. This was fine as it was in the books because TLOTR was just Tolkien's longterm comparative mythology project that was explicitly supposed to read like a pre-Christian medieval European myth lost to time. But it wouldn't be fine in a movie adaptation because there isn't the same literary precedent for that type of storytelling in film. So Arwen needed to be more prominent in the plot, hence condensing several of the less-important background elf characters into her role.

>>70693656
>what is Eowyn
And no, the 90% male-centric nature of the Middle Earth stories is because he was emulating the style of medieval sagas (unlike the many fantasy writers who've come after him who write """medieval""" stories with modern sensibilities).
>>
File: -0249-023.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
-0249-023.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>70693415
speaking of the hobbit I absolutely hated how they made legolas into a main character when he only appears in like 1 paragraph in the book. Not only that, they made him into some gary stu (choked, bear hugged and thrown across the room by a orc twice your size? no damage, didnt even mess up his face! no problem!)
>>
>>70693108
>GIVE UP THE HALF LINK SHELF
I dunno what Jackson was trying to convey here.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.