[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>everyone has american accents >humans literally use guns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 17
File: 4L_LqSzedPQ.jpg (776 KB, 800x1186) Image search: [Google]
4L_LqSzedPQ.jpg
776 KB, 800x1186
>everyone has american accents
>humans literally use guns and muskets
>muh quips in a "high fantasy" movie
>95% of the movie was made on a macbook

How did we go from LOTR to this shit? Goddamn I feel bad for millennials.
>>
>>70682086
Aragorn had an american accent. Checkmate.
>>
>>70682086
I never understood the "its fantasy so everyone must be british" shit. Its not UK, you know that right?
Just like the games
>muh quips in a "high fantasy" movie
Just like the games
>95% of the movie was made on a macbook
Just like the games, probably
>>
>>70682086
It's not written by some britbong autist in the 20th century that's why.
>>
>>70682248
Agreed. I don't know why they had to make everybody on game of thrones a Britbong. The books were written by an American and don't take place in England.
>>
>already surpassed force awakens in box office
disney kiddies in damage control lmao
>>
>>70683557
really?
>>
>>70682086
>Goddamn I feel bad for millennials.
Why do so many people think Millennial just means people younger than them? LOTR came about at the perfect time for Millennials
>>
>>70683557
>>70683604
Only in China
>>
>>70682248
>Just like the games, probably
>implying anyone who makes games would use a fucking mac
>>
>>70682086
First meme-line indicates you are retarded. Try again, anonymous.
>>
>>70683675
>this amount of damage control
shekels are shekels no matter where they come from
>>
>>70683753
>Cherry picking
Everything in China has beaten out star wars. Shit, even Zootopia beat out star wars an the chinese openly admitted to hating it

Accountants only care about global scale boyo and if its only a success in China, then those shekels aint worth much
>>
LOTR isn't old, mang.

Millennials watched LOTR when it came out.
>>
File: 1465349422462.png (284 KB, 1228x1380) Image search: [Google]
1465349422462.png
284 KB, 1228x1380
>>70682086

Too many characters: the movie.
>>
>>70683820
I'm sure the accountants at Legendary will be dissapointed getting only 55% of the total chinese revenue alone.

Also Europe got great money. Nobody cares about US desu you can keep your capeshit.
>>
>>70683995
Has only made $16.3m in yurop m8. Even less than the US
>>
File: CurseWorgen1CoverSample.jpg (84 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
CurseWorgen1CoverSample.jpg
84 KB, 400x600
>>70682086
Stormwind/Lordaeron's people all have American accents in the games/books/comics

Gilneas is based on England, however. If we get a 2nd film we will no doubt see pic related fighting because they probably don't want to wait for decades to pass for Worgen to fight in the movies.

Also, if we get a 2nd movie, we will get:

>Goblins
>Amai trolls
>Ogres
>more dwarves
>high elves
>Paladins
>Gen 1 Death Knights

And probably more that I can't remember all fighting.
>>

why don't people get that american and modern english accents are both equally descended from older ones. one isn't more old timey than the other
>>
>>70682086
>I've been force-fed the 'fantasy is British' cliche for years so anything different is WRONG!
>LotR didn't have guns so anything different must be WRONG!
>I am no man.
>Some of the best visuals of all-time.
They stayed true to the games cuck, deal with it.
>>
>>70682616
>Agreed. I don't know why they had to make everybody on game of thrones a Britbong. The books were written by an American and don't take place in England.
Uh, Westeros is shamelessly just the British Isles. Compare the maps. The whole plot is one big fantasy rewrite of the War of the Roses.

Characters from The North have Northern English accents (NOWETUNDS), etc.
>>
File: 13982093.jpg (177 KB, 1315x558) Image search: [Google]
13982093.jpg
177 KB, 1315x558
>they're extraordinary, beastmonetary

What did he mean?
>>
>>70682086
All humans in the Warcraft games have American accents
>>
File: warcraft quips.png (16 KB, 736x132) Image search: [Google]
warcraft quips.png
16 KB, 736x132
>>70682086
>>muh quips in a "high fantasy" movie

I heard otherwise.
>>
>>70683675
I'm surprised they're actually buying tickets
>>
>>70684067
>movieverse Teron Gorefiend
Yes pls
>>
>>70682086
I'm like 90% certain you're a millennial, faggot.
>>
File: multiculti.png (542 KB, 1265x530) Image search: [Google]
multiculti.png
542 KB, 1265x530
Jesus Christ, really?
>>
>>70686375
>Literally gives a movie a bad score because not enough quips
American critics everybody
>>
File: 2479432423.png (392 KB, 1267x526) Image search: [Google]
2479432423.png
392 KB, 1267x526
what did she mean by this?
>>
>>70683634
When they were 1?
>>
>>70687001
Do you just not know what Millennial means?

Almost everyone here is a millennial. People who are 30 today are Millennials. The people at prime age for LOTR, myself included were millennials
>>
File: huh.png (31 KB, 339x414) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
31 KB, 339x414
I literally have no clue what these mongos are trying to say.

Are they saying the plot is too complicated unless you actually played warcraft 1?
>>
>>70682086
>>70686375
>>70686798
There's only 2 quips in the movie.

"Well that was tearful" and "cutting off its head was a good idea".

Humor, even dry humor, is not quips. A quips is an sarcastic comment said in a snarky fashion, most of the time without context.
>>
>>70682086
lothar had an american accent?
>>
>World of Warcraft
>"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""High Fantasy"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

No.

WoW is a plebeian-tier MMO with a plebeian-tier Fantasy setting.
>>
>>70682086
its based on a videogame..you pleb
>>
File: sKwkmbN.jpg (27 KB, 300x295) Image search: [Google]
sKwkmbN.jpg
27 KB, 300x295
>>70688108
>confusing warcraft with wow
>>
>>70686960
so killing you will bring me more honor
>>
>>70687767
fucking casuals
>>
>>70687346
I think a distinction should be made between millennials, and those who grew up after the internet became standard.

I think growing up with the internet being an ever-present normality is going to seriously affect this recent generation. There are kids the age of 16 out there who cannot conceive of a world without smartphones. That's very different from those who actually witnessed the rise of the consumer internet clearly.
>>
>>70682086
>american
>accent
>>
can we finally admit lotr was boring

it took me me 5 years of by the chance watching to plow through that shit
>>
>Durotan is the best part of the movie
>Gets fel AIDS and dies like a bitch
wew

Why does Gul'Dan walk around like a hobbled old coot when he's a buff green bodybuilder?
>>
How can this be from the guy that made Moon and a source Code?
>>
>>70688900
makes enemies think that he's a hobbled old coot
>>
>>70682248
>making games on macbooks
>>
>>70682190

... no he didn't.
>>
>>70682248

>I never understood the "its fantasy so everyone must be british" shit. Its not UK, you know that right?

It's because the American accent isn't old. It has no real history, so it sounds fake and out-of-place in any medieval fantasy story.

Now, a fantasy western, that could only have American accents.
>>
>>70690754
So it doesn't sound out of place when almost everyone voicing a character in the games has an american accent?

>glad you could bake it uther
>>
>>70690805

It sounds out of place in the games, too. But, even worse than that is when they try to fake another accent, like those damn "Scottish" Dwarves.
>>
>>70690754
>It's because the American accent isn't old
The modern british one isn't either

Both modern english and American evolved from the same dialects, neither anything like the accent that would have been heard in the middle ages. Most evidence suggests it is actually american southern accents which are most similar to the british accent spoke in the days of America's birth
>>
>>70690805
No, not at all
As long as a world has internal consistency, thats all that matters

Now when brothers have different regional accents or something like that, that sounds bad
>>
>>70690872

No, if anything it sounded like a mixture between Welsh and Latin.

https://youtu.be/tCckcTHWqKw
>>
>>70690938
I was talking about english at the time the American and British accents split, not middle ages english
>>
>>70690992

And why would you when we're talking medieval accents? There's centuries between the two, so the time of the split is irrelevant.
>>
>>70691030
because the assertion was
"American accent isn't old. It has no real history" when in fact both the american and british accents of today evolved from the same dialects. Its rather silly to suggest one has more history when they have a shared history
>>
>>70691076

But you're missing the entire point: one is AMERICAN, and the other is ENGLISH. One is clearly going to have more history, because one has existed for longer.
>>
>>70688900
because he has massive fel spikes growing from his back?

>>70688108
high fantasy refers to settings like Warcraft and D&D, low fantasy refers to settings like GoT and The witcher.
>>
>>70688813
can you finally admit ur a pleb m8?
>>
>>70691123
How do you not understand this?
They both have existed for just as long. Hell british people only stopped pronouncing their 'R's recently. The english spoken before America was a thing is just as strongly connected if not more so to the modern American accent as it is to the modern British accent
>>
>>70691256

>How do you not understand this?

Right, do me a favour and answer this: what came first, England or America?
>>
>>70691315
You mean the modern political establishments? Or the land itself? Or human habitation?

You seem to just be confusing 'modern' british with historical dialects
>>
>>70687767
They are probably the same type of people who don't like sci-fi because it's "too complicated" or "too unrealistic". If you're too dumb to follow on what's happening in the movie then you don't deserve to critique it.

Not that the movie was all that complicated or of high quality or anything.
>>
How about you eurocuckolds start making your own shit and you can use your own retarded accents

Until then, deal with it
>>
>>70690918
>As long as a world has internal consistency, thats all that matters

>>70691315
>>
>>70691347

No, you seem to be confusing the whole fucking shebang. English accents have existed since long before American ones. We know the accent of Shakespeare was probably like a mix between Irish and West Country, and that was at least 100 years BEFORE any American accent.

So, as I said before, the American accent has no history compared to the English one.
>>
>>70691468
You are fucking retarded, holy shit. Stop posting. You're the kind of poster I hope is trolling because otherwise you're too stupid to be serious.
>>
>>70682086
The movie was made for Warcraft/WoW fans. If you're not one of those and you watched the movie it's your own fucking fault.

All of us Blizzdrones loved it.
>>
>>70688667
>>70687001
you are thinking of generation Z, not millennials. fucking uneducated dullards.
>>
>>70691488
America literally became an entity from England. American english literally shares the same history as English.
>>
>>70686960

She was attempting to look like le evil femme fatal
>>
>>70691488
It's a good thing Stormwind isn't America then, and that Gilneas isn't Britain, It's also a good thing Azeroth isn't Earth.
>>
>>70691488
>English accents have existed since long before American ones
Accents that have been called english have, but certain not the accents people in england currently use
>>
>>70682086
> millennials

Nice buzzword.
>>
>>70691565

American history stops when America stops existing. Just as the accent stops when it's the English accent. Whereas the English accent is much, much older.

>>70691595

What the fuck are you even talking about? Read through the chain before you get your panties in a bunch.
>>
>>70691617

It depends on which parts of England you're in.
>>
>>70691650
>Whereas the English accent is much, much older.
No, the moern american accent is more closely related to historical english. The british accent only evolved recently when they decided to stop vocalizing "R".
>>
OH MUH DEAR, IT SURELY WOULD BE LOVELY TO DRINK TEA THIS AFTERNOON, DON'T YOU THINK SO TOO SIR ELIOTT? Nobody wants to hear that gay shit in every film.
>>
what was the plot? did they just take a videogame and make a movie? like, oh yeah mario is jumping lets make that into a movie bloop bloop woop woop
>>
>>70691681
there is no currently extant accent that has existed unchanged from accents of even 100 years ago
>>
>>70691650
"American" accents only exist because of Britain and come from British English, just like modern British accents. Same with Canadian, Indian, and Australian accents too.
>>
>>70691781
The fact is that modern american is way more historic and traditional than modern british
>>
>>70691707

>No, the moern american accent is more closely related to historical english.

Absolutely no basis for that, considering what's already been said about medieval English and Shakespearean English.

>The british accent only evolved recently when they decided to stop vocalizing "R".

We still say "r".

>>70691737

Yes, there are. Remember, WW1 was around 100 years ago. We've even got recordings from those days.

>>70691781

Let's stick with just the two accents, because this kid is still struggling as it is.

The American accent is younger than the English accent. And it has to be, since it's a branch of the English accent.
>>
>>70691879
>Absolutely no basis for that
except that thats what academics agree upon
>>
>critics score: 26%
>audience score: 86% liked it

kek
>>
>>70684067
>Stormwind/Lordaeron's people all have American accents in the games/books/comics
>accents in the books
I, too, liked their voices better in the books.
>>
>>70691879
>The American accent is younger than the English accent.
Thats just not how it works. Just because an accent existed in englan in the past doesn't mean modern english accents are older than modern american ones

If you are only trying to say that english has been spoken in some form in England for longer than America, well then of course, but that doesn't make either modern form older
>>
>>70691934

And yet, it isn't. Go listen to some actual recitals of Shakespeare.

>>70692000

I am saying that the American accent is younger than the English accent. I'm saying that even as a nation, America has obviously existed for less time than England. I'm saying everything about America is lacking in history compared to England. So trying to act like America can somehow piggyback on English history to give it some medieval credibility is clearly bollocks.

Hence, American accents always sound worse for medieval fantasy than the English accent.
>>
Director Duncan Jones will live to fight another day. But you leave the mostly worthless Warcraft with just two words ringing in your ear: Game over.
>>
>>70691934
>except that thats what academics agree upon
You read a fucking pop linguistics article and now think you're an expert. American accents are not closer to 16th century English than British accents. You're just focusing on one single feature which is rhoticity, i.e. pronouncing 'r's when they're not before a vowel as in 'cart', but there are way more features that have changed in the last few centuries. For example almost all Canadians and about half of Americans and rising pronounce 'cot' and 'caught' the same. Only a few British accents do. By this criteria British accents are more conservative.
>>70691879
>>70692104
You're so fucking dense. If a British couple has two children and one of them moves to America, according to you the one that stayed in Britain has a much older family history.
>>
>>70691191
>Low fantasy
What? isn't it called dark fantasy?
>>
>>70692104
You keep confusing 'an english accent' with 'the current english accent'

The english accent has not existed longer than America, accents in england have but they are not currently spoken
>>
>>70692158

>You're so fucking dense. If a British couple has two children and one of them moves to America, according to you the one that stayed in Britain has a much older family history.

The irony of calling someone else dense and then coming out with something that makes you look like a fucking ball of lead.

What would happen is this: one kid will have a shorter American history, while the other has a longer British history.
>>
>>70692158
>For example almost all Canadians and about half of Americans and rising pronounce 'cot' and 'caught' the same
Sorry, I don't have a California accent, the standard american accent does not do that shit
>>
>>70683883
>Too many characters: the movie.
More like too many characters nobody gives a shit about
>>
>>70692214

>The english accent has not existed longer than America

Yes, it has. Listen to Shakespeare's accent compared to modern West Country. It's practically the same, and that's at least a century older than America.
>>
>>70692175
no, because high fantasy can be dark and low fantasy can be "bright." Low and high only refer to the level of supernatural/fantastic/magical elements.
>>
>>70692354
Confirmation bias my friend, I think it sounds more American
>>
>>70692402

Then you're a moron.
>>
>>70682086
Is Grom in it or what?
>>
>>70692263
Yes and clearly because that's the only feature I mentioned you sound exactly like people in Shakespeares times. You probably pronounce 'whine' and 'wine' and 'horse' and 'hoarse' the same, 'father' and 'bother' likely rhyme for you and if you're from the US you 100% pronounce 'toe' and 'tow', 'pane' and 'pain' and 'fir' and 'fur the same which they didn't in the 16th century and even some modern British accents.
>>
>>70683995
I find it funny how absolutely no one provides any sources regarding all this.
I mean, that percentage of sales is increasing everytime someone mentions it.
>>
>>70687767
>fat nerd surprised when people laugh at his garbage videogame flicks
>>
File: those crazy boatmun.jpg (198 KB, 1181x1920) Image search: [Google]
those crazy boatmun.jpg
198 KB, 1181x1920
This movie sucked ass and WoW is terrible, but what the fuck is wrong with guns in fantasy? you know guns are a pretty ye olde invention right.
>>
>>70692414
do you not think there isn't an equal list of things that have changed in the modern british accent?
>>
>>70691953
Audience score always begins at 100%, even BvS, which dropped to about 66%.
If the score has already dropped 14%, it's quite hilarious because it means those people came back to change the score.

Don't know why neckbeards are surprised people don't like this shit.
>>
>>70691191
Incorrect. ASOIAF or GoT and the Witcher are both labeled as high fantasy.
>>
>>70692525
GoT/ASOIAF is pretty much always termed low fantasy
>>
>>70692366
Oh i see, thanks.
>>
http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2012/07/original-pronunciation.html

just gonna leave this here.
>>
This movie was fun and gave me another tasty nonhuman fetish
>>
>>70686779
its literally the hub of the human race with a fucking port. what do you expect you cuckold?
>>
>>70692488
Yes I do which is why it's pointless to say either General American or Received Pronunciation is significantly closer to the accents spoken before American and British English split. All English accents even superficially conservative sounding ones like Scottish or West Country English have changed a lot.
>>
why didn't he kiss her when she was trying to makeout with him? what a cuck
>>
>>70692462

I think it's the other way around. I'm laughing at those "top" critics
>>
>>70682086
the movie needed more orcs females and more interracial elfs
>>
>>70692411
He's in a few medium shots but never called out by name and isn't important to the story.
>>
>>70692741
he was grieving the death of his son

honestly her coming on to him was pretty inappropriate
>>
>>70688813
>I have the attention span of a child: the post
>>
I loved how the the movie looked. I loved the sound and music. I even thought the acting was pretty...decent.

But the story. Oh my god.
The overall story is pretty much the same as the original lore. But apparently mr Metzen and Jones thought it would be a good idea to go "Jackson does the Hobbit"

There is no invovlement with the character. The whole story just seem a bit random with zero explanation to why anything is happening.
And thats a shame. Because Warcraft got some really deep and epic lore.
The whole story of how Medieval got processed by Sargeres and how he went into a coma at his younger age is just...magnificent.

And how is this explained in the movie? It's not. Instead we get Medivh go "I got fel inside me lol sorry gg" for no freaking reason.
And why is Khadgar somehow no longer his apprentice? For what reason did they change this? If Medivh and Khadgar still had the same bound as in "The Last Guardian" we might actually feel something for them.

I could go on with lore changes that does nothing but dumbing down the story.
Like why is Dalaran floating? We visit the city once! And why do we go there? To visit some black box that is very special. And the box opens! This has never happened before! This should be some epic and once in a life time experince. The box is opening!! But I have no idea of what this box is. I simply dont care.

And what do we find inside the box? A dark shadow that appears to be an old women. And what magical and epic thing does she give? What kind of special truth will she share? NOTHING! She tells Khadgar what he already knew. The whole trip to Dalaran did nothing! Why did we even spent time here!?

I get it. The old women is Aegwynn. I know that because I like reading Warcraft lore. But my girlfriend who sat next to me and looked at me saying "Who is that? Why is she there? Whats the point?"
>>
So did the guy general when he was out in the pub having a few pints fuck that half orc when she came apparently have condolence sex with him?

Will in the next film she give birth to his son or some shit that will make it "ok" that she killed king Preacher?
>>
>>70688813
I am surprised that you got people to buy into the bait.
Good job.
>>
>>70691538

>Generation Z

How fitting.
>>
>>70682086
What does Warcraft have to do with LOTR, douchebag?
>>
The british accent thing is because the American accent is inherently modern, but its an alternate universe so whatever
>>
>China: $91,400,000
>Russia - CIS: $17,363,697

Why do enemies of freedom and apple pie like this flick so much?
>>
>>70683675
>Only in China where people are literally born into slavery to play the actual game to farm gold for gold selling websites
>laughingjew.jpg
>>
>>70693248
>people in usa are forced to go to school
>in china instead they get to play games and get paid also
whos the slave now cuck
>>
File: Hitler frostbitten soldier.jpg (64 KB, 852x640) Image search: [Google]
Hitler frostbitten soldier.jpg
64 KB, 852x640
the first 10 minutes or so of the movie was so amazing.....I thought it was going to be great all movie.

Guldan came off as so bad ass.

And then the rest of the movie happened.
>>
File: justcraft.webm (3 MB, 980x403) Image search: [Google]
justcraft.webm
3 MB, 980x403
>>
>>70693219
isn't WoW the most pirated game of all time?
>>
>>70682086
>How did we go from LOTR to this shit?
The what I thought about The Hobbit.
>>
>>70693449
pretty cute
>>
>>70692409
And you're a retard.

Get the fuck off this American board Nigel.

>inb4 hurr durr hiroshima owns it now
>>
>>70693460
>Pirating
>WoW
Pick one, game has a subscription so you can't play without paying unless you play on buggy private servers.
>>
>>70682616
It's based on medieval europe, having an american accent just sounds fucking awful
>>
>>70693449
that was a top 10 moment of the movie
>>
>>70693880
Can't wait for thrall. Wonder if Jaina will show up.
>>
>>70682086
Someone post the neckbreak webm plz.
>>
>>70682086
LOTR has quips all through it too you fucking tard.
>>
>>70693841
oh, didn't know.
>>
>>70693029
>There is no invovlement with the character. The whole story just seem a bit random with zero explanation to why anything is happening.

are you joking? The human world was perfectly un touched. The orc world is near death after Gul Dan plagued it with Fel. Gul Dan uses souls to fuel a portal to the nearby Earth world, for every soul he kills he can transport a member of the Horde. They arrive on Human world to take human souls to fuel the gate, they have acquired many thousand souls so they can summon their horde, which they do.

The human kingdom is large and at peace, being attacked by 'giants'

The humans have their women and children stolen so they need to attack the gate,

The orcs need the gate and human sacrifice to bring the horde from dying world to new world

all was perfectly explained in narration, dialogue, exposition and onscreen information.
>>
also anyone else notice the wilhelm scream during the movie?
>>
>>70682086
I liked it.
>>
>>70690754
Fucking Received Pronunciation is like 150 years old. Medieval English people didn't walk around speaking the queens and it's a shit accent in general. Tired of hearing bongspeak especially in fiction and fantasy. American accents were a good call.
>>
>>70694008
Yeah, was really loud actually. Pretty hard NOT to notice it.
>>
>>70691535
Speaking as a Blizzdrone, I was somewhat underwhelmed.
>>70693449
If they DO make a second one, just skip to Thrall as a teenager - gives us a definate viewpoint character.
>>
>>70682086
This movie is more for fans than normies.

Critics are right about all its flaws...as long as it beats bvs thats all I care about.
>>
I thought "yep, this movie was pretty much as meh as expected" and then in retrospect I thought, "well hey, at least people died in this shit".

I can appreciate the fact that many characters actually died. It wasn't just your average bullshit where only say one character dies, and its in this really contrived manner. People just straight up get their shit wrecked all over the place.
>>
>>70694206
no.

Warcraft 2 needs to happen.
>>
Was the murloc really necessary?
>>
>>70694261
This
It would have:
>Ner'zhul
>Cho'gall
>trolls
>ogres
>naval warfare
>Teron Gorefiend
>Death Knights
>undead
I know there's more I'm forgetting
>>
>>70694287
or the wilhelm scream?
>>
>>70694360
>not mentioning guldan when he was the only good thing in the warcraft movie

Opinion discarded.
>>
Just watched this last night

The Good
>Wasn't afraid to be true to roots
>Was "fun" in the sense that it was bright and colorful, had plenty of action, and a lighthearted cartoonish tone, despite it's best efforts on that last part
>The environments were pretty

The Bad
>The plot was basic, and while this isn't really a bad thing in and of itself, it just didn't feel very full. The end of the film makes you think "that's it?". Nothing is really accomplished by the end.
>The writing was really bad. It was corny and cartoony, which I guess is okay if you are young and can't grasp very complex dialogue, but what was written was very much tailored to be understood by children as young as 8. Even the more "subtle" moments, like Medivh basically telling the orc girl that he fucked her mom was just obvious as fuck.
>The acting was pretty bad. No on in the movie really stood out. Granted, they didn't have a lot to work with, but outside of the orc, who to their credit played orcs as well as a person could play an orc, there wasn't really anyone who could be said to have been a good actor, and most looked horribly miscast. Medivh in particular looked like a Dungeon Master ultra virgin instead of a powerful wizard. The whole movie he felt like a joke just because he actor was so horribly miscast. All the rest of the actors also seemed like bargain bin versions of other actors I couldn't quite put my finger on. I enjoyed some of the main characters moments, and even some of the mage kid's moments, but they all left me feeling like "this would have been great with a good actor doing it".

Overall it was a solid 4/10 for average movie goers, a 6/10 for Warcraft fans. I enjoyed it for what it was, but would never say it's a good movie or recommend it to anyway.
>>
>>70694360
>Alleria
>Uther
>Turalyon
>>
>>70694482
>The whole movie he felt like a joke just because he actor was so horribly miscast.
What do you know of Medivh?
>>
>>70687767

They are saying this is an elitist movie, made for people who posses a deep knowledge of a very exclusive field, so exclusive that the normal people lilke you or me are excluded from it.

That´s what you want anon?, movie that pander to the elite, to the man?, we should fight together to defeat the elite.

Raw raw for the power!!!!!
>>
>>70694635
The fuck? Are you trying to call people out on their knowledge of warcraft lore?
>>
>>70694635
I won't lie, I never played the first Warcraft, but in Warcraft III he was a old mage who had seen some shit. He had an air of importance about him.

In the film he is the kind of person who would be in the corner at a party and no one would talk to, even if he was saying "Hey everyone, I'm the guardian of Azeroth. Notice me, please?" He just came off as very awkward and unlikable for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>70694787
He came off awkward because he was fighting sargaeras in him the whole time.
>>
>>70682086
As opposed to what British? Just wait for the Gilneans, they are literally the British humans in Azeroth
Those exist in lore, fuck there is a giant subway system between Stormwind and Ironforge.
>>
File: 1376250199259.jpg (110 KB, 682x600) Image search: [Google]
1376250199259.jpg
110 KB, 682x600
>>70682248
>it's just like muh games
You do realize that's not necessarily a good thing, right?

This is a movie. Not a game. If the only way you can defend something is to say it's "like muh games" then it's probably utter shit.
>>
>>70695173
>fuck there is a giant subway system between Stormwind and Ironforge.
That wasn't around during the First War.
>>
Watched it yesterday, came in with zero knowledge of the games. This was painful. I went in thinking it might be so bad it was hilarious, ended up with it just being bad. It felt like it managed to be just good enough to be more disappointing with all of its flaws. Human cast was dreadful. Flat characters, shoddy delivery, although that can be chalked up to the script. Painful pacing, and not enough explanation. If they had better explained the black cube and medivhs whole possession thing it really would have helped. The whole confrontation scene with him was confusing with the jump cuts, probably a cut scene was there. And the ending was really anticlimactic. Should have at least delivered a satisfying endnote as opposed to just "kill me! It'll solve everything!" Felt like nothing was lost or gained really. Final verdict: just charming enough to disappoint me in how poorly executed it was. The Orc stuff was pretty good. Decent cgi and action sequences.
>>
>>70695624
Nor were guns. Dwarven units got introduced in Tides of Darkness
>>
>>70691256
>American accebt is closer to olde accent than English accent
This meme needs to die. Its as bad as the "WE WUZ GERMANZ" shit
>>
>>70695928
http://the-toast.net/2014/03/19/a-linguist-explains-british-accents-of-yore/
http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2012/07/original-pronunciation.html

Sure thing bucko
>>
>>70682086
>quips
Where
I probably heard like 1 or 2 compared to every single other fucking movie out this year
>a movie needs quips to be good
God I HATE this industry
>>
>>70692525
>ASOIAF or GoT and the Witcher are both labeled as high fantasy

Maybe the Witcher is, but GoT definitely isn't.

Anytime you have a setting where a majority of the population doesn't believe that magic exists and/or the only magic is strange, vague rituals that even the people performing it don't know how it works, then you have low fantasy.
>>
but Lotr was for Millenials too
>>
File: 1363631474949.jpg (1 MB, 1061x1500) Image search: [Google]
1363631474949.jpg
1 MB, 1061x1500
I saw it today with my family and I really don't understand the hate for it
Me and my father played WoW for a long time and I've played Warcraft so they plot and everything definitely wasn't lost on me
1 of my sisters understood it completely and followed the plot perfectly
The other one didn't understand anything that happened except that she liked the Orc parts and hated the Human parts

I don't get it
The movie has a pretty clear and cut plot, how everyone is so lost completely fucking baffles me

Not enough demons
>>
File: 1457333412649.jpg (120 KB, 716x768) Image search: [Google]
1457333412649.jpg
120 KB, 716x768
>>70692891
God I loved the few Orc females that I saw
>you will never be dominated by an angry hungry for sex Orc female
>>
>>70682086

The film would have been much, much better had they kept to the original story, characters, looks etc. A lot of the scenes in this film were pointless and tagged on. At one point the film is going on its own path saying "its for the normies" -- then in the film its leaving thing unexplained which is "for the fans!"

Film couldn't make its mind up, Duncan Jones wanted to make his own film and couldn't be assed keeping to the original story for some reason. I don't know why it kept jumping from scenes, or why characters doing things unfitting for their personalities.
>>
>>70682248

Humans don't use guns and muskets though.

Dwarves were the tech race, and were the ones that utilized guns and machines.

Humans were knights and Paladins. Some practiced sorcery. But in WC3 literally none of the humans were gun users.
>>
>>70693846
contemporary british accents sounded nothing like british accents back during the renaissance and medieval ages though, the only reason you think rhotic accents sound horrible in those antiquated settings is because popular media has just always used modern british accents in those settings. it's just what you're used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s
>>
File: 1452524844014.png (316 KB, 658x575) Image search: [Google]
1452524844014.png
316 KB, 658x575
>>70696112

This guy is full of shit, allow me to explain simply:

You think America -- a land that was immigrated to be Irish, Dutch, Germans, Italians etc - on mass mixing together with their accents produced what a type of English accent sounded like in Tudor England? Reflect on that for a moment because you'll realize it's a half-baked idea made up by American bloggers to feel good about themselves. If you looked at the link you'll see the Original Pronunciation video, this is what birthed the meme "Americans sound like the English before the 18th!"

Now if you cite the original professor who conducted the study on reproducing Shakespeare plays in original accents you discover he completely dismisses the claim as wrong -- as the accents used by the plays (even Shakespeare himself) was West Country. What you're doing is confusing how people pronounce words - lingua. Now here's some actual recordings from the play:

https://soundcloud.com/evie-jeffreys/romeo-and-juliet-extract
https://soundcloud.com/evie-jeffreys/sonnet-116
https://soundcloud.com/evie-jeffreys/macbeth-from-act-2
>>
>>70682616
because HBO made it in partnership with the british actors guild
>>
>>70682086
>>everyone has american accents
That's not a problem.
Really.
You're incredibly fucking stupid if you think this is an issue.
t. non-american
>>humans literally use guns and muskets
This is a problem you are right.
This doesn't fit the time frame of the first war at all and it ruins the movie.
It's like going to see a battle of hastings movie and seeing a Tank.
>>muh quips in a "high fantasy" movie
Not a problem
>>95% of the movie was made on a macbook
Problably a problem
>>
>>70682086

As someone who never played WoW, the movie did just enough to get people up to speed. There was some godawful scene transitions here and there, and some scenes needed a few more seconds before fading to another, but all in all I liked it. The quips were fine, and were hardly jarring or self-aware like in Marvel flicks.

I'm interested in seeing a second one. They made an interesting world to watch, and let the color palette do a lot of the story-telling.
>>
>>70687842
Shh anon. Quip is the fun new buzzword we meme about whenever we want to say a movie is bad but we don't know how.
>>
>>70691954
You do know an accent isn't just how a language sounds right? At least in the way hes describing. We all speak dialect so the choice of words can be an indicator as to where the person is from.

I don't know even know why I'm talking to some /tv/ autist who probably thinks BOOKS ARE TOTS LAME ITS SUMMER I DON'T HAVE TO READ THOSE FOR 2 MORE MONTHS!
>>
Just got back from watching it. I liked the characters and cgi. Sure the plot felt rushed and if you looked really closely the cgi was of. However, if I went in expecting it to be shit and I was surprised to find a fun action/fantasy movie.

Can't wait to see the directors cut on blue-ray, I heard they cut a lot out of the movie...
>>
File: 1465450630033.gif (111 KB, 294x233) Image search: [Google]
1465450630033.gif
111 KB, 294x233
>>70688108
>not knowing what high fantasy means
>>
>>70692325
Which is usually what makes "too many" too many.
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.