[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
John Carpenter is coming to my city next month on tour. If I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9
John Carpenter is coming to my city next month on tour. If I can scrape up the cash in the next week, I'm gonna go.

I'll be allowed to bring two things for him to autograph. What would be something unique to get signed that wouldn't be cliche like a DVD or a poster?
>>
>>70592341
Action Figure like The Thing, or Snake Plissken.
>>
>>70592341
Sunglasses
>>
>>70592341
Your girlfriends tits.
He will enjoy that
>>
File: H3set1[1].jpg (95 KB, 900x416) Image search: [Google]
H3set1[1].jpg
95 KB, 900x416
Halloween III mask
>>
>>70592341
If you have a headboard on your bed that should be numero uno
>>
A pillow because his movies are fucking sleep inducing. The Thing is the only exception.
>>
>>70592341
Your plissken eye patch
>>
A copy of Metal Gear Solid.
>>
VHS copies of your favorite movies of his. Old media that shows obvious wear and tear is a sign of love for that media and I'm sure it would show that you're a true fan.

Other than that, idk famalama. What are your favorite Carpenter movies? Let's narrow it down with that.
>>
A legally binding document in which he relinquishes any liquid assets he has to the specified recipient (you).
>>
>>70592491
I'd like to avoid bringing movies, but if it came down to it, I guess I could for just one.

My favorite Carpenter kino is:

>Escape From New York/LA
>The Thing
>Big Trouble In Little China
>Body Bags
>They Live
>In the Mouth of Madness
>>
Force glasses onto his face.
>>
Get a replica of Christine's license plate. They sell them on etsy.

That would probably blow his mind.
>>
>>70592420
He didn't direct that movie, dipshit.
>>
>>70592487
Doesn't he hate Kojima? I could've sworn that I read something about him not being too fond of him because of how much he ripped off of Escape from NY.
>>
File: 1398634205454.png (283 KB, 623x469) Image search: [Google]
1398634205454.png
283 KB, 623x469
>>70592598
>Body Bags
>>
A poster of Leatherface and have him sign at "Wes C."
>>
>>70592954
He was involved with writing the screenplay and also the excellent OST
>>
>>70592341
a fuckin samurai sword

not the katana but a short one
>>
>>70593031
You just revealed your fedora level m8
>>
>>70593051
you just revealed your joke radar levels mate
>>
>>70593072
dont ever meme on me again friendo
>>
>>70592341
Ask him about his most famous films and do it in the most enthusiastic way possible, tell him you'e watched The Thing over a zillion times.
>>
Print the In the Mouth of Madness cover and glue it to some book. At the Mountains of Madness for bonus points
>>
File: thisisyourgod05[1].jpg (107 KB, 800x524) Image search: [Google]
thisisyourgod05[1].jpg
107 KB, 800x524
How about a magazine from They Live?

http://everyedition.ch/this-is-your-god/
>>
>>70593176
do celebs really hate this? i made a movie like the thing, i'd feel proud to know that it affected someone so profoundly.
>>
>>70592924
>>70593278
>>70593262

The only good ideas so far. These people get it.
>>
>>70593462
I don't know about all celebs, but Carpenter gets really pissed off when his fans do this.
>>
>>70593462
He will REALLY hate it. Because he's pissed off that The Thing is only appreciated now.

He told Gorilla Del Toro that "what fucking good does that do me now?! when gorilla told him that people love the thing now.
>>
OP again. Thanks for the ideas so far, guys. Keep em coming.

Also, is there anything about Carpenter I should know before going in there? It would be a VIP package where I'd get to meet him and shoot the shit. I know his body of work really well, but are there any topics I should steer clear of? I know The Thing is a sore sport for him.
>>
File: 111.png (93 KB, 637x785) Image search: [Google]
111.png
93 KB, 637x785
>>70593589
>>70593552
>>70593659
>>
File: HoustonTourCoach.jpg (20 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
HoustonTourCoach.jpg
20 KB, 350x350
Pic related
>>
>>70593659
I get the feeling he's really tired of hearing about the usual pleb stuff like Escape, Big Trouble, and especially The Thing. I'm sure he doesn't get asked questions enough about his older less recognized stuff or even the newer stuff that didn't blow over too well, so you might as well ask him about those. You said you liked Body Bags; how often does he have a chance to talk about that?

Also, it would probably be best not to bring up David Lynch or Eli Roth if you talk about the horror genre seeing as how he hates them.
>>
Let me just check with what mike from rlm thinks

oy yeah this is shit
>>
>>70593861
>David Lynch or Eli Roth if you talk about the horror genre seeing as how he hates them.

source on eli roth hate?
>>
>>70593020
No, he wasn't involved in writing it.
>>
Have him autograph DVDs of Rob Zombie's Halloween and the 2011 Thing prequel.
>>
>>70593889
It was in some kind of interview about Masters of Horror where he was talking about how shitty it is now. He mentioned how Eli Roth is a big shitstain.

Also, I got some of my info wrong: it wasn't Lynch he talked about hating, it was Cronenberg. Apparently he used to be super cool and now he thinks he's an artist who's above the genre and all this pleb stuff.
>>
>>70593958
>hating based Cronenberg
wow and I thought he was a smart guy
>>
>>70592341

Tell him you thought he'd be taller.
>>
>>70593861
>You said you liked Body Bags; how often does he have a chance to talk about that?

this is a good point. ask/bring shit about his post-'80s work and he'll probably warm up to you and you might even get some cool new stories.

ask him if he still wants to do that western with amy adams, or if amber heard seemed like a psychopathic gold digger when they were making the ward.
>>
>>70594056
>or if amber heard seemed like a psychopathic gold digger when they were making the ward.

trying to get him sued too?
>>
>>70592434
here's a free (You)
>>
File: 1310728279736.jpg (98 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
1310728279736.jpg
98 KB, 776x602
>>70593589
>>70593589
>how dare this movie I always wanted to get recognition and praise is finally getting recognition and praise!

I get that Hollywood screwed him over in that regard, but he should feel vindicated in knowing that people are praising him as a visionary even if it's years after the fact.
>>
Have him sign your big irish cock.
>>
>>70594155
>praising him as a visionary even if it's years after the fact.

But that doesn't help him now.
He could have used that recognition in his prime to make a bunch more high quality shit like the thing, if people liked it then.

Now it doesn't do much for him as he's tarnished his filmography with schlock.
>>
>>70593889
>I haven’t gone in a long time [to a Masters of Horror dinner]. I went to the first few and it was a lot of fun. [..] Then, it sort of became something else. I think the night that got me– David Cronenberg showed up. And he’s an old friend of mine. And unfortunately, he takes himself so seriously these days…He’s an artist now. And literally, he was holding court in the middle of the room, so I came over to talk to him. And he didn’t look at me. And I thought, this is enough of this, forget it, goodbye. And I walked out, I thought, I don’t need this anymore. And you know, fine, Eli Roth with his Hollywood hair … Darren Aronofsky, secretly I think hates horror films… Let the geniuses go. Let them go– let them be geniuses. I’ll stay home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=l-DJtmE9gvQ#t=1325
>>
>>70594279
>>70593958
Thanks.

Cronenberg sounds like a piece of shit.
>>
>>70594155
>make a ton of good movies in your youth that redefine the horror/cyberpunk/sci-fi genres
>the only one that has lasting influence is Halloween which will go on to create a whole new subgenre filled with schlock while it slowly descends into schlock itself
>the others either underperform at the box office or are panned as complete trash even though you put your all into them, as was the case with The Thing
>eventually fall out of public favor and start putting out bad movie after bad movie as you start losing your enthusiasm and become disillusioned with the Hollywood machine
>and now, years and years later when you have absolutely no desire to make movies anymore, your greatest "failure" is suddenly lauded as this visionary masterpiece and people love it

I'd be fucking pissed, too. And like he said, it doesn't do him any good now when he could've used that praise years and years ago.
>>
>>70594414
Oh fuck off.
Most of the people who praise The Thing weren't even born when it was released. The fuck he wants us to do?
He's just another great filmmaker gone senile and shouting nonsense.
And he has no right to shit on Cronenberg who (unlike him) has been making great movies for 4 decades straight.
>>
Was Carpenter a one trick pony? All of his "fans" are the same: people who all like the meme Kurt Russell movies and The Thing, the same old shit every time. Aside from those movies, nothing he has done has ever achieved the same success or interest.
>>
File: halloween-poster[1].jpg (47 KB, 580x902) Image search: [Google]
halloween-poster[1].jpg
47 KB, 580x902
>>70594582
>Aside from those movies, nothing he has done has ever achieved the same success or interest.
Aren't you forgetting something?
>>
>>70594547
>Most of the people who praise The Thing weren't even born when it was released. The fuck he wants us to do?

Even critics who hated The Thing when it was released have turned around and changed their opinions. He's probably not mad at his younger fans because why would he be, but why the fuck would he be okay with having this big personal failure shoved in his face constantly when his career is shit now and he could have used the possible success it could have generated in the 80s to go on to do bigger and better stuff on its scale?

>And he has no right to shit on Cronenberg who (unlike him) has been making great movies for 4 decades straight.

Cronenberg sounds like a pretentious ass. He owes his success to the horror genre because if it wasn't for stuff like Videodrome, The Fly, Scanners and The Dead Zone, he'd still be just another relic from the 80s. You don't just bite the hand that feeds you just because you think you're too "good" for it. That's a dick move.
>>
>>70594625
never saw it.
sounds gay
>>
Just get copies of his latest albums ,vinyl if possible
>>
>>70594547
but Cosmopolis was shit
>>
>>70594742
>he could have used the possible success it could have generated in the 80s to go on to do bigger and better stuff on its scale?

i don't get this logic. plenty of filmmakers have a flop or two and it doesn't affect their long term creativity or ability to go on making good movies. speilberg didn't descend into schlockery just because 1941 and hook bombed.
>>
>>70594813
He had too many setbacks, too many stones thrown his way. Understandable thst this wears a man down.
>>
>>70594625
Overrated and boring. The only reason people like Halloween is because it started the slasher genre.
>>
File: 1360651481591.png (297 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1360651481591.png
297 KB, 375x500
OP should save his money. Reading through all of these accounts of Carpenter and the excuses his fans are making for him just makes him seem like a bitter cunt. If you can't even compliment him on the movies of his that you like, what's the point?
>>
Ask him whether Childs was The Thing or not.
>>
>>70592999
No, he likes Kojima and his games. The studio wanted to go after him in court but Based Carpenter refused.
>>
>>70594582
You're a bitter cunt, ain't you? He's more influental to cinema, than you'll ever be, piss-stain.
>>
>>70592341
>two things for him to autograph
Just tell him I can't stop listening to the theme song to EFNY and I saw it in theaters when it came out
>>
Was Childs the Thing?
>>
>>70593918
Yes, he was.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.