[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>time is a flat circle What did he mean by this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 315x348) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 315x348
>time is a flat circle

What did he mean by this?
>>
That "time" only have two dimensions, namely space and actual time
>>
Everything happens over and over again. Only thing for him to do is to wait until he is reunited with his daughter, while knowing that price of it is to experience her death again.
>>
>>70574530

A flat circle. Imagine the rim of a bicycle tire. Run your finger along the edge. Eventually your finger will return to your starting point. What Rust Cohle meant that everything repeats given enough time.
>>
He meant that Pizzaman watched Prisoners before doing the final rewrites for True Detective Season 1.
>>
>>70574530
>Eternal return (also known as "eternal recurrence") is a concept that the universe and all existence and energy has been recurring, and will continue to recur, in a self-similar form an infinite number of times across infinite time or space. The concept is found in Indian philosophy and in ancient Egypt and was subsequently taken up by the Pythagoreans and Stoics. With the decline of antiquity and the spread of Christianity, the concept fell into disuse in the Western world, with the exception of Friedrich Nietzsche, who connected the thought to many of his other concepts, including amor fati.
>>
>>70574864
I see no correlation between the two. TD is a masterpiece in atmosphere and story telling, Prisoners is an empty crime movie with symbols for the sake of symbolism and much poorer execution
>>
Rejoice

Death is not the end
>>
>beer can go smush
>le circle
>>
>>70574869
>Friedrich Nietzsche
Why is this moron famous again?
>>
>>70574921
>I see no correlation
>Prisoners is an empty crime movie

You must be some special kind of retard
>>
>>70574530

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

-BSG
>>
>>70575005

He had cool mustache.
>>
>>70574530
It's Nietzsche

>>70574837
Yeah. It's actually pretty true I think. In an infinite universe where a finite number of possibilities exist, think have to repeat eventually, right?
>>
File: 200_s.gif (30 KB, 391x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
30 KB, 391x200
I just came for my files Marty
>>
File: true flat circle.jpg (94 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
true flat circle.jpg
94 KB, 500x281
>I like to mow my own garden

>>
>>70575065
>a finite number of possibilities
>implying
>>
>>70575024
It is though, the mazes and snakes, all these symbolic gestures, they do nothing. They're not an examination of anything, they simply serve to add the illusion of depth to the movie.

The same is certainly not true for Trye Detective
>>
>"What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.'"
>>
>>70575134

He trims his pubes.
>>
Philosophy is an insult to science and only bitter old men with too much time on their hands indulge in it.
>>
>>70575140
But there are set rules to the universe, and a set amount of matter/energy, so how can their be unlimited possibilities?
>>
>>70575134
oh fugg meant lawn :DD
>>
>>70575148
But what does any of the symbolism in True Detective mean? Their big break through is LOL GREEN EARS. All the symbolism around Audrey is totally meaningless and literally leads to nothing. The stuff related to Carcosa and the King in Yellow also yields to nothing in the end. He could have just as easily had them as devil worshiping Satanist but he went for the Lovecraftian flare, because.
>>
>>70575275
>everything needs to be concluded and wrapped up in a nice little bow with a cherry on top otherwise it's bad

ok
>>
>>70575275
Symbolism doesn't have to yield plot resolutions, it can have other purposes
>>
Aren't circles flat by definition?
>>
>>70575364
That's not what I said, I said TD has the same sort of meaningless symbolism that you claim Prisoners had. You really can't see any similarities between the two?

>>70575393
The symbolism in TD is almost entirely red herring, or to give you the impression that the show is actually deep. Pizzaman is criticized for plagiarisng and copying Ligotti, Chambers and others, but nobody sees any similarities with Prisoners, really?
>>
File: a53.jpg (32 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
a53.jpg
32 KB, 500x333
>>70574921
>TD is a masterpiece in atmosphere and story telling

Hola Reddito!
>>
>>70575533
Look at the little newfag trying to fit in. TD, to some degree, most certainly is good
>>
>>70575607
Yes, TD is good. It is however not a masterpiece of atmosphere and story telling. Not when all the interesting bits about it came from elsewhere.
>>
>>70575275
TD was less about the symbolism and more about the relationship between Rust and Marty. It was character driven, not plot driven.
>>
>>70575192

It could be random from the start and what we perceive as laws of nature are actually just one possible outcome of infinite amount of random events happening infinite amount of time.
>>
>>70575607
Season 1 is a fedora b8ting garbage that feels like a bad parody series of Fincher's work

Season 2 on the other hand is fanatastic, bordering on being a modern-day masterpiece.
>>
>>70575843
What an embarrassing series of opinions you have there my friend. Season 2, while severely underrated and hated for not being season 1, is far from fantastic. That's a beaten to death /tv/ meme. Season 1 isn't fedora garbage, solely because that fedora garbage comes from the mouth of Rust, who is regularly checked by his partner.

>>70575769
The symbolism was emphasized however, so that many people, including a lot of the folks here that watched it, thought the show was all about the symbolism, and when that turned out to not be the case, they raged out and turned on Season 1 and the show.
>>
>>70575079
Seriously though she was hot af.
>>
>>70575005
The people who think he's a moron are the people who've never picked up anything he's written

The Genealogy of Morals is a pretty great book fampai
>>
>>70575982
>the main "character's" entire being is revolved around spouting nihilistic garbage
>he spews this straight in the viewers faces throught the retarded flashbacks, so they don't have to make any conclusions about him for themselves
>throughout the entire first season Rust's proves Marty wrong whenever he tries to "check" him(at least the show want's you to believe this)
>not fedora garbage
please consider ending your pathetic existence
>>
>>70576527
See, it's not fedora garbage because the shit Rust is saying is because of the experiences he has gone through. Losing his daughter, his extensive undercover work. He has reason to feel that way and believe what he is saying. He isn't some 17 year old autistic fedoralord who is edgy on the internet because he ran out of GBP and can't afford any more chicken tendies for the week. And Rust never proves Marty wrong. Rust says some edgy shit, Marty either laughs him off or tells him to shut the fuck up.

But you're fucking contrarian anyway. You probably can't even begin to attempt to explain what you thought was so great about Season 2. I actually enjoyed season 2 mind you, but I'd be willing to bet you're just going for the contrarian angle here.

You don't even want to have a substantive conversation, you just want to meme and shitpost. Please consider taking your own advice.
>>
>I am coming for my files Marty
>>
>>70576423
Thus Spake Zarathustra is pretty entertaining, especially for a book about philosophy.
>>
>>70577467
That it wasn't Marty's wife that aroused him, it was a potential break in the case that made him climax. It was his way of apologizing for having sex with his wife.
>>
>>70577467
That Marty should go to his place in the cuckshed
>>
>>70574837
A flat circle isn't a moebius strip, but is in fact a 2-Dimensional shape with a perimeter and an area.
>>
>>70576711
boom. toasted
>>
>>70578177
what kind of bicycles do you ride?
>>
>I like to fuck my own wife
Did Marty insinuate he likes to mow his lawn?
>>
>>70574612
...What?

Time is a concept AND it's own dimension (duration). It's not two dimensions.
>>
>>70574612
Einstein is that you?
>>
>>70574530
While the concept has been around for a while, people keep linking it to Nietszhe even though he only used it like this:

"If you knew that you would end up repeating your existence over and over again, what would you do differently?"
>>
>>70575065
Except there are infinite possibilities.

There's you bald, there's you with one hair on your head, there's you with two hairs on your head, there's you with 10^10^10 hairs on your head.
>>
File: 1455748283462.jpg (97 KB, 400x508) Image search: [Google]
1455748283462.jpg
97 KB, 400x508
>>70574530
>>
>>70574956
But what if you're a poor little African kid and time does in fact repeat itself an infinite amount of times and you're then forced to live the same excruciating existence over and over?

Would you rejoice then?

Check your privileges
>>
>>70574530
Time is a glib facsimile.
>>
>>70575275
Protip: Pizza man is a hack, almost every remotely interesting part of TD that elevated it above the level of standard police procedural was lifted directly from Thomas Ligotti (seriously, look up the original drafts of the script, almost every Rust line is lifted from Conspiracy Against the Human Race), expecting him to have a payoff for his stolen tension is pointless.
>>
>>70574612
>time has 2 dimensions
>>
>>70576711
>what you thought was so great about Season 2.
Better, more fleshed out, more relateable characters, which obviously makes them, and the entire season overall more enjoyable than s1.
Better acting, better music, better cinematography than s1
Better atmosphere and tone throughout than s1.
But more than all that, it was better because it was a great emotional rollercoaster, as oppose to s1 which was ompletely devoid of any sort of emotional resonance whatsoever due to the fact that it was so poorly written
>He isn't some 17 year old autistic fedoralord who is edgy on the internet because he ran out of GBP and can't afford any more chicken tendies for the week.
yeah i know, which is what makes him even worse than an edgy teen
He's a grown man that unironically believes all that garbage which makes his character pretty unrealistic, and therefore pretty uinrelatable and unintentionally funny

>But you're fucking contrarian anyway.
>he holds an opinion that differs from the general consensus
>le he must be contrarian xD
Having a mindset like this is worse than memeing and shitposting, so my previous advice for you still stands, or if killing yourself isn't very appealing to you, i at least suiggest that you return to leddit and give your buddies upvotes when they post about Breaking Bad being the best show of all time
>>
>>70582070
>great characters

Velcoro and Frank were the only OK characters, and even they were run of the mill "bad guy going straight" or "bad father great cop" tropes. There was absolutely no point in Taylor Kitchs character being in it. I won't bother addressing the music or cinematography charges as they're as close to objectively wrong as you can be.
>>
>>70581203
That's not infinite. It's impossible to have 10^10^10 hairs on your head. There are physical rules of the universe that make it so. You can't have more hairs than atoms in the universe
>>
sheeeeeit
>>
all circles are flat, they're 2-dimensional
>>
File: tumblr_n8zz4redF01qh402go3_500.png (172 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8zz4redF01qh402go3_500.png
172 KB, 500x270
>>70574530
Hey Morty I just came to get my things that reminds me I just came in your wife's butt Morty pancake butt like a flat circle Morty cya later Morty got to mow your lawn when you're not looking
>>
>>70575148
No, both Prisoners and True Detective are "shallow." Although TD is a very good show, it's not because it is smart or insightful. It doesn't "say anything" about the world or human life beyond the surface level, particularly its dialogue. TD really excels in atmosphere (especially combined with occult elements of the plot), setting, photography, and the two leads.

For an actual work with depth, you could cite The Sopranos.
>>
>>70582243
Degrading complex characters like Ray and Frank to mere labels like "bad guy going straight" and "bad father great cop" is just sad even for a pleb
Also it's a completely wrong assumption that Taylor's chareacter had no point.
He was by far the most tragic character of them all, he represented the dying of a certain breed of men, a certain kind of people that are being choked out of existence through the machinations of monsters like chessani and holloway.
The cinematography and music were better because they perfectly accompanied the tone and atmosphere of the season
And the music just by itself is better than the music of s1, but i guess it should be a surprise that someone with bad taste in televison/film would also have a bad taste in music aswell
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.