[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the everloving fuck did Lucas mean by, "Jar Jar being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12
File: JarJar.jpg (40 KB, 400x525) Image search: [Google]
JarJar.jpg
40 KB, 400x525
What the everloving fuck did Lucas mean by, "Jar Jar being the key"?
I've thought about it for weeks now.
>>
>>70562003

hes a Sith Lord behind it all. plenty of Sperglord theories online to satisfy your autism.
>>
>>70562003

Without Jar Jar based Sheev wouldn't have been able to take the senate

also he's supposed to be a nigger
>>
>>70562003
As Padme's replacement he voted that the Senate should give Palpatine emergency powers which he used to create the Grand Army
>>
He meant that Jar-Jar was the most important character for audience engagement and that he'd be the one they connected to and fell in love with, thus the entire film would work.

He was wrong.
>>
>>70562003
reddit meme answer: he's pulling all the strings and is part of the dark side

real answer: Episode I was all about exploring new technology and how it can be applied to film making. Having one of the main characters be entirely CGI is basically the purest embodiment of this desire.
>>
File: 703ea21e7b63a9b64f4bbf35a18.png (17 KB, 300x181) Image search: [Google]
703ea21e7b63a9b64f4bbf35a18.png
17 KB, 300x181
>>70562090
>he'd be the one they connected to
Who did Lucas imagine would be his audience?
>>
>>70562103
This.
>>
>>70562103
>>70562220

The reddit meme answer was actually completely right though. Way too much indicators backing it up. Even Jar Jar's voice actor sort of confirmed it.

Read this if you're interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar_jar_binks_was_a_trained_force_user/

Probably the best thing ever to come out of reddit tbqh.

tl;dr - Jar Jar was the ''anti-Yoda'', Sidious' Sith Master but due to fans objecting to the character after the first movie his role was completely rewritten (confirmed by voice actor) to be just the fool he turned out to be because Lucas' doesn't have the balls to go against what his fans like. Ironically I think if he went through with it the prequels would be better off.
>>
Honest answer: he meant he would be somebody the audience could empathise with and relate to as we're introduced to new worlds and characters.

Internet answer: HE LITERALLY MEANT HE'S A SITH LORD.
>>
File: khaled.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
khaled.png
1 MB, 1024x768
They don't want you to know the key senpai
>>
File: 4951391-star+wars+lol+jar+jar.jpg (118 KB, 765x960) Image search: [Google]
4951391-star+wars+lol+jar+jar.jpg
118 KB, 765x960
>>70562364
I used to think it was completely ridiculous but the little touches to the animation had to be deliberate.
>>
>>70562599
Darth Binks, rly?
>>
>>70562599
Yeah if you look at the individual snippets of proofs you are still going to think the whole theory is bonkers but there is just so much, all adding up in support of it.

My friend showed me the thread a few months ago and when he told me the general gist I said I was never going to believe him. Though after reading the post, watching the youtube videos and rewatching TPM I have to conclude it is quite convincing.
>>
File: 1325650539019.jpg (17 KB, 457x458) Image search: [Google]
1325650539019.jpg
17 KB, 457x458
>>70562364
I really hate how much this thread is drawing me in.
The Yoda thing is the most compelling part.
>>
>>70562364
>>70562599
>>70562811
I can't even tell if I'm being meme'd anymore.
>>
>>70562890
Yeah I went in with the full conviction to rip the theory apart with my logic but honestly the whole post is written down very well. Some parts of it may be reaching but indeed him being set up as the opposite of Yoda is one of the best arguments. We all know how much George Lucas loves his P O T T E R Y
>>
>>70562955
Just read the post and come up with counter-arguments friendo.
>>
So, it turns out that phantom menace is the "Usual suspects" remake?
>>
>>70563010
Counter-argument: That's fucking ridiculous, you are being silly.
>>
>>70563010

I watched the video and I can safely say one thing: any ideas drawn from Jar Jar's animation were fucking dense.

I say that speaking as an animator.
>>
>>70562986
I don't think it's the case though. It fits very well, and it's definitely cool headcanon, but there's not a single point in that thread that isn't mere speculation. If there was something from the production side that supported it, that would be another thing, but starting from "jar jar is le key" and then picking apart the animation and OT parallels isn't fully convincing.

Still cool though. Liked this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOf3hhsjtOg
>>
>>70563130
>I say that speaking as an animator.
So what?
>>
>>70563156
Well the voice actor confirming there was a MAJOR rewrite to his character is, for me, the most undeniable proof. Or could you tell me how the character differed from TPM in Clones and Revenge?

>>70563130
My dad works at nintendo.
No but honestly I see the animation based arguments as the weakest aswell, allthough the yellow eyes are a bit suspect.

>>70563099
10/10 counter argument.
>>
>>70563257

>undeniable proof

1. He is not the writer
2. Humans can lie to save face

Stay away from a jury.
>>
>>70562003
Read the fucking novels, he's behind everything.
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 240x165) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 240x165
>>70562122
>Who did Lucas imagine would be his audience?
Space niggers, kenny
>>
>>70563433
Really?
>>
File: 1424345784084.jpg (128 KB, 960x727) Image search: [Google]
1424345784084.jpg
128 KB, 960x727
>>70562003
>>
>>70563335
>production doesn't tell actors where they're going with the character

OK.

Also why would it be necessary to ''save face''. Almost no one had issues with the voice actor, most of the hardcore fanbase were dissappointed how the character was written.

Why would they establish Yoda as Qui-Gon's former master and then shoehorn in Dooku?

On top of that the title ''Phantom Menace'' makes more sense when applied to Jar Jar instead of Sidious/Palpatine as that ''reveal'' was not a suprise for the people that saw the OT - he was never a ''phantom''.

I consider it as canon at this moment. Partly because, like many, I was a bit of dissappointed with the prequels but also simply because I can find more convincing arguments supporting the theory than against. But you're welcome to stay in the dark.
>>
You know, even if it's true:

1. Hiding your villain in plain sight and having him step in poody-doody is not a genius piece of subterfuge.
2. George dropped the whole thing and destroyed the trilogy because the critics were mean
3. Everything else was still utterly terrible so pulling a Keyser Soze doesn't legitimize any other aspect of that turd
>>
>>70563711
>Why would they establish Yoda as Qui-Gon's former master and then shoehorn in Dooku?
Why would they establish Yoda as Obiwan's master and then shoehorn in Qui-Gon? Because Lucas is a fucking hack.
>>
File: Dylan Beekler.jpg (47 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
Dylan Beekler.jpg
47 KB, 500x282
>>70563711
>I consider it as canon at this moment.
Absurd trolling, not even going to waste a rating on it.
>>
>>70563711

>But you're welcome to stay in the dark.

Hahahaha, okay you got me. I thought you were being serious.
>>
>>70563482
No. He's lying. Don't read the fucking prequel "novels"
>>
>>70562890
>>70562955
>>70563010
>>70563099
>>70562364
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUOwsRv6MLc
>>
File: stefan molycuck.png (60 KB, 261x135) Image search: [Google]
stefan molycuck.png
60 KB, 261x135
>>70563257
>the voice actor confirming there was a MAJOR rewrite to his character
>>
>>70563967
>>70564018
>>
>>70564045
It's really not the case that "every single motion is deliberate" because jar jar wasn't animated frame by frame, jar jar was animated via motion capture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g07s5FOc2Xs
>>
>>70563967
fuck...that can't be coincidental
>>
>>70564125
motion capture doesn't animate his mouth
>>
>>70564190
I can't argue with you because I have no idea how motion capture technology actually works.
I'll say this tho: I understand that the space between the balls on the suit, which I guess are sensors that the computer detects, are filled based on how the balls move, so if the ball on the actor's head moved relative to the ball on his sternum, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some facial animation as a result.

Happy to be proven wrong, because I think it would be cool if the jar jar = sith theory is right.
>>
I think at this point, Lucas is butthurt so badly if the theory were true he would've come out and said so, just to say, "See! I knew what I was doing!"

He's already said the new sequels went in a direction that he wouldn't have went with, or something to that effect, around the time before he called Disney "white slaveowners."
>>
>>70564288
Also he doesn't mouth "curious about the planet", which would be the case if it was an easter egg intended to be spotted by fans subsequent to an AOC reveal, but which would probably be the case if it was just a post-production oversight to jar jar's facial animation.
>>
>>70564018
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/236oks/iama_ahmed_best_actorwriterdirector_best_known/cgty74i
>>
>>70564375
How am I supposed to read this? Jar Jar's VA says that the story arc for jar jar changed because GL wanted more sabre fights and less gungans. I read that as "JJ was supposed to have more political scenes so his promotion from general to senator makes more sense, but instead we relegated him to the background so that there could be more anakin and obi-wan action sequences."
>>
I'm sure this has been said already, but I'm not reading this shit thread.

He was the key to the cgi and world building, as he was one of he first full cgi characters in a live action film
Absolutely sweet FA to do with plot m8
>>
>>70564288
face mocap look like these pics:

https://www.google.com/search?q=face+mocap&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi--K66kpbNAhUKTCYKHRsjBAcQ_AUIBygB&biw=1920&bih=920

jar-jar's actor isn't outfitted that way in the scenes and he doesn't emote in the pre-special effects shots i've seen. plus, the head portion of jar jar is above his head, so it's not the goal for the actor to emote it because he isn't its face.
>>
File: page of madness.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
page of madness.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
>>70562003
>>70562103
Non-meme answer: the original Star Wars originated with a concept lifted from Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, two irrelevant bumbling plebs get caught up in a hugely important conflict.

Jar Jar was supposed to fill that role but George fucked it up and probably reduced his part in the sequels after everybody hated Jar Jar,
>>
>>70564368
to defend that point, it could also be a freely-offered excuse by panaka. jar-jar could have only offered the first part (the main thrust of the argument) and panaka followed up with the second himself to coincide with the mind-controlled first. sort of like he had to justify what he was saying to himself to relieve his cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>70562003
https://m.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar_jar_binks_was_a_trained_force_user/
>>
>>70564578
I thought of that too, it's definitely possible. But you're trying to make out that this is a deliberately subtle easter egg, and that's an extra layer of subtlety that seems unlikely to have been contemplated desu
>>
>>70564643
certainly seems unlikely given the bunglesome nature of the movies, yup. but i think interesting all the same
>>
>>70562003
Jar Jar was supposed to end up being a sith lord, but Lucas scrapped the idea after he was badly received in Episode I
>>
>>70563967

I want off this ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOf3hhsjtOg#t=0.2945
>>
>>70564434
That in combination with this https://mobile.twitter.com/ahmedbest/status/661221044712148993
does it for me. Maybe I'm just less of a sceptic than you though.

I agree ''confirmed'' is a strong word and even I'm not 100% convinced it's true. But I'm definitely more inclined to accept this theory than that Jar Jar was meant for nothing more than be le clumsy funny sidekick.
>>
File: too bad.png (85 KB, 219x229) Image search: [Google]
too bad.png
85 KB, 219x229
>>70564832
>>
>>70564832
Yeah the whole Gungan City sequence is another thing.

It's never explained why Jar Jar was banned or why every gungan is afraid of him. But considering the reaction other Gungans have towards Jar Jar it's probably a lot more serious than clumsily knocking over some boxes.

Also from a filmmaking standpoint, if you want to make Jar Jar a funny character you explain why or how he was banned from Gungan City, probably with a funny anecdote. However, it's kept in mystery. Why do this and never expand on it?
>>
>>70564845
Idk senpai, there's a million fan theories that "fit" for any tv show, movie or book you can name. If you want to believe that's how the story plays out, you can do that, that's your personal experience of the story. If I ever rewatch tpm I'll probably be watching it through this lens, so in that sense it might as well be true in that respect.

But when you start trying to argue that it was actually intended to be read that way, the standard of proof goes way tf up, bc like I said, there's lots of stuff that fits, and some that fits very well. You can't just let yourself be convinced by everything you read.
>>
when he said jar jar was the key he meant it literally. Jar jars finger was supposed to open the vault doors that protect the source of the force. Jar jar was to open it for anakin so he could go inside and bring balance to it.

Rumour has it that anakin couldn't bring friends and that the procedure would be extremely painful.
>>
>>70565004
I haven't read anything more fitting to the PT/Jar Jar though. And to me atleast there's is just way too much snippets of evidence all pointing towards the same thing to ignore it. I've never liked or accepted writers putting Jar Jar in purely as a comic relief character (which he is in the trilogy as it is viewed now) so maybe I had just been waiting for a theory like this to pop up ever since I've watched TPM.

But yeah, viewing media is highly subjective so anyone is free to think just about anything about the movie/book/whatever they're consuming.
>>
>>70565065
this
>>
>>70565065
>source of the force
>in a vault

uwotm8
>>
>>70562003
>What the everloving fuck did Lucas mean by, "Jar Jar being the key"?

He didn't. That was never something he said. It's just a meme.

Dexter Jettster was the key to all this.
>>
>>70562003
He was the key to sell merchandise to children.
Wait, you thought he was talking about the plot?
>>
>>70562003
Jar Jar represented everything new about the movies, technologically wise, stylewise, the kind of comedy and interactions they were aiming at etc.

In other words it was a symbol of impending doom.
>>
>>70562122
Children, my friend loved jar jar as well as my brother

He is simple comedic relief for the kiddies
>>
>>70562364
This is what we call overthinking things.
>>
>>70563967
>>70565484
>>
>>70564832
If Jar Jar had been slightly less silly and this had been kept, it would have been the twist of the century.
>>
>>70562003
jar-jar being the key to the film being mediocre unlike the other films
>>
jar-jar binks really is a Sith lord.
Snoke was his padawan.

jar-jar was trained by the sheev as a back-up plan for Darth Vader's inevitabale failure.
There will be at least 2 spinoff movies about Jar-Jar descent into evil.
screencap this.
>>
>>70562364

This is a cool idea, the problem is that Lucas went full retard and tried to the stretch the "annoying Jar Jar" schtick across multiple movies in the hopes of a big reveal.

With Yoda Lucas had Yoda go from little local creature to Jedi Master reveal in about 5 minutes.

If the Jar Jar reveal happened at the end of The Phantom Menace, the response to the movie and the character would have been more positive.
>>
File: 1445667795272.gif (536 KB, 381x512) Image search: [Google]
1445667795272.gif
536 KB, 381x512
>>70566548
>There will be at least 2 spinoff movies about Jar-Jar descent into evil.

I did not know what I missed in my life until you told me
>>
>>70563257
>Well the voice actor confirming there was a MAJOR rewrite to his character is, for me, the most undeniable proof. Or could you tell me how the character differed from TPM in Clones and Revenge?

He was barely in Attack of the Clones and RotS, maybe that's what he was getting at, the fact that he was close to being kicked out of the movies.
>>
>>70564288
My guess is that they just set some animations to run, so he doesn't seem lifeless.
And then anytime time his mouth moving lines up with something someone else is saying people jump on and claim he's a sith.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.