[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Solid action movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11
File: Bourne-Identity-The_5.jpg (207 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Bourne-Identity-The_5.jpg
207 KB, 1000x1500
Action movies that are "solid."
>>
>>70555865
self bump
>>
File: markymarkthewintersoldier.jpg (41 KB, 390x300) Image search: [Google]
markymarkthewintersoldier.jpg
41 KB, 390x300
>>
>>70555940
self bump 2
>>
>>70555865
Con Air
>>
the fugitive, terminator 2, first blood, police story
>>
Lethal Weapon series
>>
>>70555940
do self bumps from the same ip work if noone else has posted yet?
>>
>The Raid 2
>>70556006
Police story fucking rocks.

>>70555865
Anyone else think Marie was oddly attractive in that movie?
>>
>>70555865
Speed
>>
File: 1451025155746.jpg (219 KB, 1538x1040) Image search: [Google]
1451025155746.jpg
219 KB, 1538x1040
>>70555971
I really didn't like that movie for some reason. I really just wanted the congressman to get away with it and I wanted Rooney's sister to die a painful death.
>>70555998
>the shot-in-the-arm scene
It's probably Cage's second best "Nicholas Cage" movie.
>>
>>70556114
>Anyone else think Marie was oddly attractive in that movie?
Shit taste. She looks like a gypsy.
>>
File: 210620v94bq6obns9ddavj.jpg (209 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
210620v94bq6obns9ddavj.jpg
209 KB, 600x900
The first Mad Max is my favorite of the series, even though the second one is seen as the classic. It's shorter, tighter, and more entertaining to me.
>>
File: ronin.jpg (24 KB, 302x427) Image search: [Google]
ronin.jpg
24 KB, 302x427
>>
>>70556177
I'm a sucker for Fuqua joints.

Watched No Retreat No Surrender 2 for the first time last month. Part martial arts movie, part MIA/Rambo 2/Uncommon Valour homage, directed by a Hong Kong guy. Solid as fuck. You can see the influence it had on Ong Bak in the fight scenes.
>>
File: image.jpg (448 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
448 KB, 1000x1500
>>
>>70556290
Which one was the one where Mel Gibson had very few lines?
>>
File: ZGyHz0p.jpg (21 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
ZGyHz0p.jpg
21 KB, 853x480
>>70556231
>implying
She was a total cutie. She also looked like a "normal" person; not like the near perfect super models you see as love interests nowadays, it really added to the gritty, slightly realistic tone of the movie. Also, the kiss scene was GOAT; great chemistry and very organic.
>>
>>70556430
The second one.
>>70556341
I hope this is bait
>>70556336
The title makes it sound like a spoof but I'll check it out.

Can't believe no one mentioned John Woo yet.
>>
>>70556430
The second one. I just googled it and according to reddit he only had 16 lines of dialogue.
>>
>>70556430
Speaking of Mel Gibson

If you count Payback, as a sorta action movie, its pretty damn solid.
>>
>>70556589
I really like "quiet" movies. Ones without too much dialogue especially from the main character have a certain quality to them. They're also very atmospheric. Drive is one example.
>>
>>70556563
The first one was a typical karate kid style movie with early Van Damme as the final boss and the ghost of Bruce Lee doing training montages. The second is far more serious in intent, although still very cheesy in many places.
>>
File: MPW-58751.jpg (47 KB, 500x744) Image search: [Google]
MPW-58751.jpg
47 KB, 500x744
>>
Why aren't there more action filmmakers not contaminated by the videogames/capeshit mentality?

99% of action movies aren't grounded in reality anymore, it's all supposed to be "awesome" for ADHD kids. Awful editing, dumb dialogues, toxic irony, the stakes are always getting bigger (save the cat formula) yet nothing ever matters. it's all so tiring and juvenile.

Then once in a while you get films like those of Michael Mann or Bigelow, maybe Greengrass or McQuarrie, and it's incredibly refreshing to see action scenes made for normal adults, where firearms are used tactically, where gun wounds really have consequences, with believable sound design and choreographies, etc. I get impressed when I see Bourne win a fight or when Bigelow's /k/ operatives suceed in a mission because all the characters in these movies are so human, and extraordinary talents stand out, whereas I couldn't give a shit if Superman beats up Batman. When the shit hits the fan, like when the mercs ambush the cops in Blackhat, it's genuinely tense, when one of the cops get shot, the reactions from the others is genuine shock and pain, etc Why is Mann the only filmmaker who fully understands how much more immersion and tension /k/ realism brings to an action scene?
>>
>>70556628
I'll definitely check both movies out, first one for the laughs. Speaking of Cory Yuen, The Transporter is also a very good example of a "solid" action film.

Tell me bros, what is it about early to mid 2000s action movies that makes them so "solid"? Not all of them obviously, lots of them were shite fests but the good ones were very "solid".
>>
>>70556628
Also, Cynthia Rothrock's supporting character is atrociously acted, as you would expect from her.
>>
File: large_paris_texas_blu-ray4x.jpg (390 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
large_paris_texas_blu-ray4x.jpg
390 KB, 1920x1080
>>70556621
Me too. Mad Max 2 isn't really quiet though.

Pic related is a good one. Also Le Samourai.
>>
>>70556696
I dunno. Hard to define exactly what it was. It was real though.
>>
I think this >>70556652 partly answers this >>70556696 question. The directors you mention were more active in the early to mid 2000s and also because of changing consumer tastes; now it's more about polish, dialogue that would make teenagers say "woah! He's so AWESOME" and over the top action scenes rather than substance. Gone are the days of organic love stories like>>70556509 said. Now it's all about too-perfect looking models and "action movie" actors like Cavill and Captain America rather than more normal looking actors like Damon or Gibson. Nothing in action movies has any consequence anymore. It doesn't matter if a character gets shot because they'll be magically healed in the next scene. It doesn't matter how many people they kill or if their love interest dies in front of them; neither one is mentioned again.

>>70556780
>It was real though.
This.
>>
>>70556509
>there will never be a love interest like her again
Super model love interests belong in Bond movies.

>>70556845
>>70556780
>>70556696
>>70556652
Cape shit killed action movies. They set the standards now. They should have stopped at Iron Man 2 and the Nolan trilogy.
>>
>>70556696
>what is it about early to mid 2000s action movies that makes them so "solid"?
Besides Bourne, there's not a single good example. But the answer is probably nine eleven, which prompted a return to the Chuck Norris kind of 80's action. You get a lot of derivative shit following the Bourne/24 formula, with an ex special ops type of guy or rogue CIA agent going after a terrorist threat by himself, which is then revealed to be manipulated by a corrupt American agency/political figure. MI and Bond series get rebooted as Bourne-light. Capeshit starts getting more popular. You still get a few cringe-worthy post-matrix attempts, Paul WS Anderson gains power. HK cinema is basically dead except for Johnnie To, meanwhile John Woo and Jackie Chan make awful Hollywood movies for easy bucks. Luc Besson produces shit movies with scripts written in two hours, also co-opts Jet Li, then recycles the same formulas with Statham then Liam Neeson.
>>
>>70556966
>Besides Bourne, there's not a single good example.
As in there's no example of a solid early to mid 2000s action movie other than Bourne? Because if so then I disagree. I agree with the rest of your post though. All of those factors are part of the reason why action movies aren't so good in the current year.
>>
>>70556509
She was qt in Anatomy
>>
>>70557158
What makes her such a qt anon? She has a certain quality but I can't name it. Any thoughts?
>>
>>70555865
Hard Boiled and Internal Affairs.
>>
>>70557238
I feel it's sometimes best not to over-analyze these things. Just enjoy the qtness.

I thought she was in Crimson Rivers when I started watching it. Took me half the movie to realise it wasn't her. That was decent for a french action thriller too actually. That out-of-nowhere kickboxing scene with Vincent Cassel and the punk kids was gold.
>>
>>70557238
Maybe it's because she just looks "normal" like another anon said. She looks like the sort of person you could easily see on the street but still looks like a bit of a cutie.

>>70557382
>Just enjoy the qtness.
This is an infinitely better answer though.
>>
>>70557382
>Took me half the movie to realise it wasn't her
Top kek. I see the resemblance though Franka is cuter.
>That out-of-nowhere kickboxing scene with Vincent Cassel and the punk kids was gold.
This. I was expecting a shit fest when my father insisted that we watch it but it was decent. Check out La Haine. Cassel's in it and it's a very good movie, not action though.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.