[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Lobster
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
Did anybody see The Lobster?

I just saw it yesterday and...I didn't really like it, neither did the people I saw it with. It was just too into it's own concept and the deadpan humor was just too much. The vibe of the movie was off...I liked the first bit in the hotel but the rest of the movie was just exhausting and too long. And the ending was unsatisfying.

Any thoughts?
>>
File: her career is attractive.jpg (143 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
her career is attractive.jpg
143 KB, 1280x688
>>70502352
>dating is equally hard for women

Stopped watching there.
>>
1st half I was laughing my ass off, 2nd half was total shit
I was really disappointed because I thought that the second half was leading up to some sort of "beta uprising" allegory (they were literally called "the loners", i don't think that was too ridiculous to expect), but then it just didn't go anywhere

Main problem with the film, to put it succinctly, is that when he leaves the hotel the allegory/satire stops making sense, so it just became a boring pile of shit
>>
>>70502461
Exactly, it's like the movie just lost it's point once he left. The allegory did stop making sense and I don't know...I wasn't afraid to tell my friends afterwords that at that point of the movie, I just "didn't get it."

I think you just had to buy into this world and this concept so much and I wasn't willing to, because they weren't making it very easy.
>>
>>70502352
First half is fucking brilliant, as has been said. It drops off after he leaves, but it really goes to shit when they find the diary. Then you don't have the intermittent narrator voice making you feel a little more comfortable and guiding you through.
>>
I loved the first half. When he left the hotel, I didn't hate it but it just wasn't as good. Like someone else said, I thought they were going to go take over the hotel with those guns but nothing came of that.

>>70502424
What the fuck, this wasn't in the version I watched
>>
>>70503011
Seriously?

You might have gone to the bathroom. The ass shaking was to increase the speed at which he gets an erection.
>>
>>70503213
I didn't see it in theaters. I went back and looked and it only shows where she tells him to take off his trousers, then nothing else. I remember thinking it was an odd cut
>>
>>70502352
I liked the whole thing. The only real critique I have would be that the pacing is a bit too slow at times. But it was funny, kind of frightening in a way, creative, and interesting throughout. Halfway through I though, "Man, this movie reminds me of Dogtooth". Sure enough, same director. I think one of the actresses was in Dogtooth too, but it's been years. I really liked that random exotic animals would roam around in the background. Idk, I just thought the whole thing was good.
>>
>>70502461
>when he leaves the hotel the allegory/satire stops making sense

How so? Are you suggesting that a group of people who shun society and favour solitude and who turn against those who don't follow their same mindset or patterns doesn't have any real life parallels? Whilst posting on 4chan?
>>
The neck beards on this board just wanted this movie to confirm their being alone as some sort of hip walden pond life style choice rather than just failure. I think that's why most people here didn't like the second half. It made the loners look just as bad as the people desperate to be in a couple.

The complete lack of agenda this movie had made me love it.

also dis waifu
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.