[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have ever gone to the movies by yourself? Is this even allowed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 5
File: going-to-cinema-alone.jpg (44 KB, 1024x447) Image search: [Google]
going-to-cinema-alone.jpg
44 KB, 1024x447
Have ever gone to the movies by yourself? Is this even allowed?
>>
I've seen 300, the revenant and BvS alone.
It's okay
>>
>>70452552
I do it all the time. I actually prefer it desu.
>>
Yes, I go matinee hour.
Only times singles are let in at my cinema anyways
It's usually empty, no people laughing or talking or munching on food
It's great
>>
>>70452552
Never before this year, but I've done it three or four times now and it's fine.
>>
I know one of the door guys so as long as I time my showings with his days I can get in alone.

He'll straight up refuse on a busy weekend night though because the boss is usually around.
>>
>>70452552
I've never done it. Is it true that people behind the counters and other customers treat you awkwardly?
>>
>>70452552
I only go with people. I need strangers to know that I have at least one friend. I also like talking during the movie and it looks better than talking to myself.
>>
>>70452770
You have to be 18 to post here, laddie.
>>
>>70452746
They don't admit singles in some areas. I'm not sure why. But sometimes you can get attitude about these things yeah, especially if you seem awkward and insecure.
>>
>>70452552

honestly i'd rather watch cinema shows by myself, and for with people, at someone's home with a decent video and audio setup.
>>
Yeah. I've gone three times in my life.

Most recently this past year since I moved to a different state and I don't know anyone here.

Kinda sucks but fuck it.
>>
>>70452770
>I also like talking during the movie
Fuck you. Fuck you long and hard. Fuck you long and hard with a wooden cactus. I hope you get splinters up your anus. I hope you get splinters up your anus and have those splinters severely infected. I hope you get splinters up your anus and have those splinters severely infected, requiring you to have a colonoscopy every single week. I hope the splinters cause you indescribable pain every time you take a shit. I hope the splinters cause you indescribable pain every time you take a shit, eventually rupturing your colon. I hope the splinters cause you indescribable pain every time you take a shit, eventually rupturing your colon and giving you an incurable case of excruciatingly horrifying hemorrhoids.
Fuck you.
>>
>>70452552

It's my preferred way to go. Combine going alone with going at odd ball times in the middle of the week and you have a personal theater.

I saw Dredd with only a single other person in the theater, and it was kickass.
>>
>Only person in theater
>They forget to start the movie
>Too embarrassed to say anything
>Look up how long the movie is on my phone
>Sit there for 2 and a half hours then leave
>>
>>70452679
Damn it, I read that as manatee hour...
>>
>>70452552
yeah, I just get super high

Thor in 3D at the discount theatre was awesome
>>
I just did, 4 times today to do covert patron counts.
>>
>>70453004

Fuck you're autistic.
>>
Go find a mom and pop movie theater, no one gives a shit there. I go to mine alone all the time and I see a lot of old people with nothing else to do or bored college kids. Everyone has their own story no big deal.
>>
>>70452552
I haven't been to the movies with another person since 2009. Partly because I have far fewer friends now than I did then and partly because the last time I went with friends they wouldn't shut up.

I like to go to weekday matinees after a movie has been out for a few weeks so that there are only a handful of other people there because I don't trust people to be quiet anymore.
>>
>>70452552
>Have ever gone to the movies by yourself?
Lots of times. Got no shame about it really, my ex used to ask me to tell her what was about to happen every movie.
>Is this even allowed?
Yes, don't get memed.
>>
>>70453053
Pretty much this.

I also can't stand hearing other people rustling thru popcorn bags, slurping their sodas or the sound of plastic nacho trays.
>>
>>70453004

I fucking kek'd
>>
>>70452552
Yeah i did one time. Wasn't bad. Once the lights are off it doesn't matter if you're with or without someone
>>
>>70452552

Done it a few times. Once cause I was away from home, and 2 other times cuz my friend and brother couldn't make it.

Who really gives a shit tho? Do you

Don't be a self-conscious beta
>>
>>70452746
No
>>
>>70452552
I almost never go to the movies, usually only when my friends want to do something. My friends are fucking retards in public though, and they're horrible to watch a movie with. They just fuck around the whole time and almost get us kicked out every time we go. Next time I go to a movie I'm definitely going alone.
>>
>>70452552
>9gag meme
fuck off, underage
>>
>>70452859

Never heard of a movie theatre denying to sell someone a ticket cause they're alone. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Not even sure if they have the right.

What difference does it make if the patron is paying?
>>
I go to the movies every week, sometimes multiple times. I usually go with with my wife and friends but also go by myself at least once a month.
>>
>>70453268
It's a meme, anon. Theaters don't deny singles, and going to the theater alone is not social taboo.
>>
>>70453268
has anyone ever been shot in your local cinema
>>
>>70453268
Single theater goers are much more likely to be mentally unstable, pedofiles, or shooters so a lot of theaters ban them for the safety of their patrons.
>>
>>70453341
>>70453411
The time this happened the guy sneaked in through the back door.
>>
OP here. Not meming. I thought it was a literally a fact that in some countries local theaters do not admit people who go by themselves. Is this all just horseshit then?
>>
>>70452770

I hope a you get hit by a fucking bus.

And then when you get taken to the hospital the doctor tells you that you have ass cancer.

Then everybody you know abandons you as you lie in agony on the hospital bed with a throbbing asshole and you fucking die alone.
>>
>>70453480
After the batman shooting in colorado one theater owner was quoted saying he wouldn't sell tickets to single men any more. From that a meme was born.
There's never been any sign that this is a widespread practice but it's a popular meme here.
>>
>>70453411

What the fuck. This is like 50% of the chan userbase, Does that mean we're all socially mal-adjusted, autistic basement-dwellers that are capable of snapping at any moment to go on a massive fuck-it killing spree?

kek

But seriously, I live in Canada and not a single theater does that. It would make news and would go against our charter of rights and freedoms. You can't make ill-conceived notions on that based on purely speculative if not non-existent data. It's objectively wrong.

So much for the land of the free when you accept bullshit like that.
>>
Has anyone here been harassed or ribbed about going alone at the ticket booth or by someone else at the theater? Or is this actually not that unusual?
>>
>>70453609

No, never. Christ what third-world shithole are you living in?
>>
>>70453609
no one cares about you
>>
>>70453609
I went alone to a triple feature when the last batman came out and the servers at the theater bar said "look at you!" in this probably well-meaning but very patronizing tone.
>>
>>70453567
I'm a newfie. They haven't allowed singles in my theater for about 4 years now.
>>
>>70453620
It's not that far-fetched. Singles are somewhat marginalized by society.
>>
File: 1465019482598.jpg (65 KB, 523x520) Image search: [Google]
1465019482598.jpg
65 KB, 523x520
>>70452552
Never in my life. I see the theater as more of something you do just with mates and enjoy ripping it apart later on. This is partly because I have a hard time immersing myself into the film experience when I'm surrounded by strangers talking, rustling through their food and laughter, so I might as well just see shlock and capeshit with my mates and leave watching kino on my lonesome.

It's just weird and awkward going alone.
>>
>>70453698
so ever since the dark knight shooting?
>>
>>70453698

If you were really adamant about, a lawyer that specializes in civil-rights could take the theater owner to court and easily win.

There have been cases where businesses have been allowed to refuse service but that's if the patron is actively DOING something that is damaging to their business or committing a crime (physical or verbal conduct, loitering, crude language, intoxication, etc.). However, the charter or rights denies any kind of discrimination, to which this would specifically follow (denying single patrons service purely based on who they are coming in as singles).
>>
>>70453686

Holy shit that would've triggered me so hard

I would've responded with something snarky like "and look at you, working at a bar. What mistakes in life did you make that led you here?".

People are separated in life by those who take shit and those who don't. If you're taking shit, you gotta give it back.
>>
>>70453976
I don't need to bother with that. I just go with my wife or mum.
>>
>>70453567
>Charter of Rights and Freedoms
>Applying to anything that isn't government related (e.g. Movie Theater)
>>
File: 1444221032640.jpg (52 KB, 600x884) Image search: [Google]
1444221032640.jpg
52 KB, 600x884
>>70452770
>>
>>70453976
my man the Charter has nothing to do with it

are you in high school? It's Human Rights Code, totally different thing
>>
>>70452746
As long as your bring a licensed cinéma falcon, everything's cool
>>
>>70453609
the theaters in my area now have digital kiosks where you can buy tickets and bypass the booth, or you can just reserve a seat online. now the only interaction i have is with the person taking my ticket and usually they don't want to talk to anyone anyways

i can't say anyone at the booth (or at all) has ever given me a problem though. they're just there to work and besides, harassing a customer is a major no-go if you want to keep your job
>>
i'm a friendless loser but i like seeing movies in a theater so i've gone alone hundreds of times. i've never once felt self-conscious or noticed staff or patrons treat me differently. the idea that they would is just some irrational fear ingrained into properly socialized normies -- in reality no one gives a shit, no one is paying attention to you
>>
>>70452552
Yup, heard a few snickers here and there but who gives a fuck anyway
>>
>entire room is emoty
>nobody laughs during jokes
>no cheering and yelling during action scenes

I honestly barely could stand it
>>
>>70453004
>be 15 min late
>ask the guy if the ads are still running
>"I guess I can turn it on for you!"
>whole cinema for myself

I don't know how they stay in business
>>
>>70452552
I've gone to movies more often by myself than with friends. Maybe yanks have banned it, it I don't know. I live in a free country.
>>
>>70456153

That last sentence is the key to life if you only dare use it
>>
>>70452552
Never have desu, but why would i even make the effort to see some popular film, wouldnt even torrent half the shit cinema's play
>>
>>70452679

Singles are always let in at whatever theater it is that you go to, and you know it. Your meme is a lie, as much of a lie as penis inspection day.
>>
>>70452824
>>70452969
>>70453526
>>70455923
He was obviously memeing you dumb faggots. You have to be really socially inadequate to respond seriously to this kind of post.

Kill yourselves.
>>
>>70452859

First sentence is false. it's a /tv/ meme which is so persistent that /tv/ regularly mistakes it for reality, which it isn't.

If it were real, then /tv/ would be able to produce some sort of photographic or video evidence of the hard-or-soft policy's enforcement, somewhere, sometime. /tv/ never never done so, not one time.

Anecdote: Tonight, I watched Citizen Kane in a theater all by myself, without incident.
>>
i saw room alone, it was bredy gud
>>
File: 1464417297502.jpg (22 KB, 550x283) Image search: [Google]
1464417297502.jpg
22 KB, 550x283
I went once by myself bc my gf had work and i really wanted to see the Revenant.
Was awkward at first seeing a 12pm show with a bunch of singles (50+ year old men) and a few group of friends or family. But eventually when the movie actually started, it was fine. It's not like I talk to the person beside me during a movie anyways, just sucks that I have to resort to strangers on the Internet to strike up a convo about the movie after its over instead of a real human beside me.
>>
>>70456302
>needs laughter and cheering during a movie

why
>>
I've literally gone to the movies by myself, every week, since 2010. It's comfy as fuc.
>>
>>70452859
>>70453268
It's a meme. There's no theater in the U.S. that does this but supposedly some in Europe to because they're Islamified regressive faggots
>>
>>70452552
I did once.
I was waiting for my sisters to end at the mall but I still had an hour. I went to the movie theater and watched batman begins.
It was like 10 in the morning so almost no one was there.
I've never gone alone since.
>>
>>70456926
I've also done this and have seen tons of movies completely by myself as I go on Friday afternoons when not many people are there.

Having your own screening is comfier.
>>
>>70452552
Yes I watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens alone when it released.
>>
When I watched civil war I was sat in a room with 200 others who acted like it wasent a big deal they were eating snacks they brought from home. It pissed me off
>>
>>70452552

I used to go whenever I needed to recharge and have some alone time after a stressful week.

It's good for that.
>>
>>70456780
>kill yourselves
Lead by example.
>>
>>70457060

I did the same.

Before doing so, I literally cased the theater and its exits by doing a lap around it, to understand what's up in case someone decides to get silly. I also positioned myself close to an exit, to have a decent option.
>>
>>70452552
Yes. Most people who go to the last late viewings on the cheap night are alone.
>>
>>70456112
Why go to the cinema if you don't buy ice cream and a drink? Not even American
>>
>>70457307
What do you mean by 'get silly'?
>>
>>70458232

don't be stupid.
>>
Alamo Drafthouse is the best place to go alone
>>
I always found it funny how going to the movies is so strongly considered a social thing, to the point where people won't see movies they have been wanting to see unless they go with other people

I mean, it's like the ONE activity where actually socializing, talking, is frowned upon.

Why is it like this? Did theaters just push ads about going to the theaters back in the day? Like what happened with engagement rings?
>>
>>70452746

if you make a habit of it you'll freak out the girls behind the counter if they recognise you
>>
>>70454380
>I would've responded with something snarky like "and look at you, working at a bar. What mistakes in life did you make that led you here?".

thats just sad
>>
>>70460732
no you won't
>>
>>70452552
I was the only one when they showed Prometheus.
Someone was constantly checking on me to not record or fap during the movie is my guess.
>>
>>70452552
Yep, I watched Star Wars 7, Avengers 2 , Ant-Man and Deadpool
It was pretty comfy to see those movies without a pleb companion who doesn´t know the name of the characters
>>
>>70452552
I go on days off during the week.
It's mostly other loners and old people.
It's nice.
>>
>>70452552
>try this for first time
>go see night at the museum thinking it will be zoolander type movie
>giant bearded man all alone surrounded by kids and parents
>fuck it im still gonna watch this shit till the end
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.