[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any film that gets time travel right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: Dr. Kim, I'm Monarch.jpg (75 KB, 1279x678) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Kim, I'm Monarch.jpg
75 KB, 1279x678
Is there any film that gets time travel right?
>>
The Terminator
>>
You can't get time travel right or wrong, since it doesn't exist.
>>
>>70450335
Austin Powers 2
>>
File: radcliffe.jpg (153 KB, 762x1200) Image search: [Google]
radcliffe.jpg
153 KB, 762x1200
Herry Patter
>>
File: 1463537098506.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1463537098506.webm
2 MB, 720x404
Game of Thrones
>>
Primer was pretty cool.
But fuck a movie having me need a flowhcart to understand what's going on.
>>
Primer
>>
What do you mean by "right"? Time travel by definition doesn't have any logic

The best time travl movie is Back to the future
>>
Triangle and Timecrimes are the best time travel movies.
>>
Anything that doesn't do closed time loop bullshit.
>>
>>70450335
Galaxy Quest
>>
>>70450427
It has logic, it's just not possible yet
>>
Primer obviously

Coherence isnt time travel but also good
>>
>>70450481
>yet
it's impossible to travel faster than the speed of light and that's the only way to travel in time
>>
>>70450523
also you can't travel backwards
>>
>>70450546
what about the shit they do in interstellar? is something like that possible?
>>
>>70450546
>>70450523
See? It has rules, it has logic :^)
>>
>>70450335

Thinking about time travel is like eating junk food. Don't overdo it.

It's fun to speculate on a bit, but at the end of it all, it can't logic out. So don't give too much attention to it.
>>
>>70450481
There is no logic because all logic is derived from theoretical vague assertions and their favorite films/tv shows with time travel plots. Maybe if we ever did travel back in time our stepping foot out of time would cause a ripple in time that would instantly and irrevocably change the future, we have no idea how time travel works or it's consequences, not only that there is no way to test run time travel to see what effect it has on the continuum.
>>
>predestination
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 480x270
>>70450351
>tfw time is an illusion and everything that has happened or will ever happen already exists
>>
>>70450335
Go back in time, cease to exist
Go forward in time, learn about the future and return creating some loop.

Time travels fucked man.
>>
Time Lapse
Primer
>>
Primer /thread
>>
>>70450878
>>70450836
>>70450509
>>70450404
wrong
>>
>>70450666
Aka nigga makes a nonsense movie then says "muh paradox." Cheap and lame.
>>
>>70450335

12 Monkeys
>>
Looper.
>>
>>70450335
Is there any film where Adian isn't evil?
>>
>>70450335

The whole conclusion to this game was disappointing.

How was Serene unable to change the future after multiple attempts, yet Joyce was able to do it in one? I wanted it to be a bad ending where the closed loop theory was right. The open loop opens up a whole can of worms that never gets addressed.
>>
Time travel is impossible because you'd need to travel through space as well. The solar system moves dontcha know?

Basically you're not really sending one thing back in time, you're reversing the course of the whole universe.
>>
Time travel is a completely fictional concept.
It is an imaginative construct based on a faulty notion of how time works.
If's entirely up to an author in how they want to portray it.
>>
>>70452251
except most of these authors end up contradicting their own rules which is why people get triggered
>>
>>70450335
star trek
>>
>>70450335
The Time Machine
>>
About Time

Rachel McAdams is best time travel waifu. Fite me
>>
Flight of the Navigator
>>
>Ctrl-f
>no Time Bandits
new friends you should check out this awesome site it's called go-gaia.com
>>
>>70452112

The game implies you didn't change the future. Serene mistakenly believed the initial time travel incident was the one that caused the end of time, but there's evidence in Monarch HQ that shows information was being gathered up to the year 2020, which is probably when the real end of time causing catastrophe will happen.
>>
File: p9076140_p_v8_ac.jpg (402 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p9076140_p_v8_ac.jpg
402 KB, 960x1440
Looper at least made a noble attempt. It failed, but it tried.
>>
>>70450351
That's a stupid line of thinking actually.
>>
This was a disaster.
>>
If time travel were possible, why hasn't anyone ever come back in time? Surely they'd have shared the tech and there would already be time travel societies since the beginning of time
>>
>>70453544

I still don't understand while people got so triggered by the "It doesn't matter" line.

It doesn't. Time travel was a plot device to further the story and the character, it was not the focal point OF the story. The actual minutiae of how the time travel works don't matter to the overall movie.
>>
>>70453632
yes, time travel is stupid
>>
>>70450523
>it's impossible to travel faster than the speed of light and that's the only way to travel in time
You don't have to travel faster than light to go into the future.
>>
MIB 3 has done it best. There's no real right or wrong but it dealt with most of the problems of it in a decent way.
>>
>>70453520

So there were still 4 more years of stutters that were going to happen? Weren't things accelerating?
>>
To all "it will work/might work" fags, how do you reconcile the fact that if you go back in time to change something and succeed then you never would have had a reason to go back in time?

It is inherently, unavoidably, illogical and there is no evidence to suggest that it works.
>>
Terminator
that one harry potter film with time travel
Back to the Future
Looper
>>
liked the game.

the episode setup was pretty good.
>>
>>70453313
in the book the husband goes back in time to fuck his younger self, to "comfort" himself, but won't bang his 13 year old future wife even though she begs for his cock.
Typical SJW fujoshi bullshit
>>
>>70453852
das "Time Traveler's Wife," dummy.
>>
>>70450335
Deer Hunter
>>
>ctrl f
>Bill and Ted
>0 matches
>>
>>70450747
Shut up with that Nische shit.
>>
BANE?
>>
>>70453745
Another anon here. I think it means there will be another rupture. The 2016 one was fixed, but Serene didn't know. The other rupture might be related with Hatch who appears at the end implying that there will be more stuff (he's a shifter that comes from the end of time)
>>
>>70450335
What show is this. pls?
>>
>>70453745
Things were accelerating but the stutters were always going to be stopped by the Joyces. There is a naturally existing time machine that Hatch has access to, and its possible someone else creates one in between 2016 and 2020.
>>
>>70450335
Back to the future 2
>>
The concept of time travel is based off of an unproven hypothesis. There is no substantial evidence showing that it's actually possible, and I've obviously we've never managed to do it, so any movie that takes on the concept won't really be able to "get it right." The closest thing I can think of to accurate time related science is that part in Interstellar where they're on the alien planet and to them only 4 hours pass by, but 20 years pass by on Earth. That is more related to light than it is to time, but it's still surprisingly "right" for a Hollywood blockbuster. Anything time related beyond that is pure fiction at this point.
>>
>>70450404
fuck no
>>
>>70450335
Donnie darko talks about the "spear" being the will of God and having to follow that path. That's the only way time travel exists since he is the only all knowing omnipresent thing. Bring on the fedora tipping
>>
>>70453907
Quantum Break
>>
>>70450335
Predestination was a fun watch, OP

Taught the concept of predestination paradox quite well, also Ethan Hawke is BASED so watch it
>>
>>70453632
>>70453675
It should to be internally consistent, like all fantasy.
Time travel in Looper is garbage, but the film is still solid despite it.
>>
>>70453959
danke
>>
>>70453649
It's possible the moment a working time machine is created, that moment is the earliest period you can travel back to.
>>
File: 1463982270758.png (71 KB, 291x343) Image search: [Google]
1463982270758.png
71 KB, 291x343
>>70453641
>you will never go back in time to delete this thread
>>
>>70450427
>old biff goes back in time and changes major things
>biff should be a billionaire and there should be no mcfly family save for slut old lady mom
>when old biff returns he is exactly where and when he left outside future Marty's house which shouldn't exist in that sense, if at all
>doc brown later makes a chart showing that this exact type situation couldnt occur, there should be a tangent as evidenced when they go BACK in time and young biff is rich, etc
When old biff "returns" to his present, Marty and docs future, he should be seeing evidence of his changings
>>
>>70453794
it depends on how the time travel works - does each time travel create a new timeline, or is there 1 singular fixed time?

With the former idea you're effectively abandoning your present timeline forever when you're time traveling. I wonder if there's any sci-fi story that deals with this. I've imagined a society that thinks it's had time travel figured out. There'd be a prime universe where the first 'successful' time traveler just disappeared forever, but in universe B it appeared successful. The next time travel didn't, but in universe C the universe B guy appears. Eventually you'd have thousands of apparently successful travels in some particular universe and then one day it just stops working, forever. Not sure how you'd make a good story of that though.
>>
>>70453660
ITS JUST A MOVIE BRO
JUST TURN OFF YER BRAIN BRO

The movies breaks it's own rules, it's LOST level of bullshit.
>>
>>70453987
you can't write your own inconsistencies into a story

if the magic time machine doesn't cause mcgoobybooby paradox. Get stuffed, it doesn't happen.
>>
>>70453660
That's why I think looper does it well

Like you said it didn't really delve into the time travel aspect.

It just said it exists, this is how we use it
>>
>>70450523
Time travel WILL NEVER and CAN NEVER exist for this very fact
>if at any point in the future time travel was figured out, someone would have come back and let people of the past know about it whether for knowledge or personal gain
>>
>>70454111
>le many worlds quantum mysticism

no
>>
>>70454177
>i'm le shitposter

Time travel isn't real in the first place, fuck off if you aren't going to play along and explore the concepts
>>
>>70453660
>we would be sitting here drawing diagrams and shit on the table with ketchup
I love that scene
>>
File: Basiago3.jpg (109 KB, 553x370) Image search: [Google]
Basiago3.jpg
109 KB, 553x370
>>70450351
Delete this.
>>
>>70454195
It's a stupid concept.
>>
Harry potter 3 actually works.
>>
Looper is the only good use of time travel precisely because Bruce Willis straight up says it's retarded and doesn't fucking matter. Just watch the movie.
>>
>>70454239
what if time travel makes you retarded as the polychronons interfere with your neurons?
>>
>>70453794

Well logically speaking, because things that happened in the past have already happened by definition, that those can never be erased. They happened because they still exist in your brain and you remember them... Like the birth of your son, or the death of your father.

As a time traveler, what happens is when you go back and, for example, stop your father from marrying your mother, do you cease to exist?

I contend that you don't cease to exist. What happens is, you've created an alternate reality. There is no way for you to go back to the other reality.

When you go back to the present, it is in a world that you never existed...a timeline you did not exist in.

So hypothetically speaking, if you made time travel work, you'd create a fork at the point in the past that you travel to with two time lines paralleling eachother.

Let's say you didn't screw up your own existence... You just messed with another event. Then what happens is you go back to the present and there's another version of you there... And nothing you can do about it other than murder and bury him.
>>
Yes, but it you haven't seen it yet.
>>
>>70450581
no. interstellar is retarded and so is every other Nolan sci-fi
>>
>>70454195
>>70454177
multiverse isn't time travel tho
>>
>>70454118

>JUST TURN OFF YER BRAIN BRO

Bullshit. Telling people that time travel isn't all the movie is about doesn't mean TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF. It's not Johnson's fault that any time a movie with time travel comes out people only focus on how the "rules" work and ignore literally every other aspect of the film.

>breaks its own rules

No one knows what the fucking rules are. It's shown in-universe that the mob doesn't even know the rules for how time travel works, it's why they do as little to the timeline as they possibly can.
>>
>>70454207
Love whenever I see this picture lol. So clearly Photoshopped just enhance the pixels
>>
>>70453892
that's eternalism, and McTaggart, and probably true
>>
>>70454143
see>>70454045
>>
>>70454264
Thing is there's no evidence for any of this and I was specifically addressing the people who think it could really work, so just saying

>it makes a fork bro, through magic or some shit

doesn't really make me think it's possible
>>
>>70454288
see>>70454239
Looper literally admits it's TRASH in the middle of the movie in between ripping off Terminator and 12 Monkeys, you fucking cringey millennial turd.
>>
>>70450666
>>70453985
predestination was shit
>>
>>70454288
I think the saddest part about looper is not that people keep dissecting how time travel works when they themselves don't even understand how it works, and it's plainly stated in the film not to give a fuck, is that Looper is one of the most mediocre films ever created. I mean the whole things is just one dull plotline to the next. It's so mediocre, I don't understand why people keep talking about it.
>>
>>70454277
it can appear to be time travel, which is all that's really needed

Plus if you travel back into the past/future of a different universe, you're still traveling time
>>
>>70450976
>This
>>
>>70454347

>THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IN A MOVIE ARE THE RULES

>DIRECTION, ACTING, THEMATIC CONTENT, SUSPENSE, HUMOUR, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

>ONLY RULESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>70454076
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=124-bZmfbPQ
I think they tried to justify that with this scene of Biff getting erased from the timeline.
>>
>>70450335
>Is there any film that gets time travel right?
HARRY POTTER
ITS FUCKING MAGIC
I AIN'T GOTTA EXPLAIN SHIT

And ironically enough she keeps it internally consistent and logical, unlike most faux SF trash.
>>
>implying the general concept of time travel doesn't null if itself
If time travel was possible eventually someone would go back to stop people fucking with time, thereby causing it to never happen in the first place, repeat ad nauseam.
>>
>>70450581
Yes. Time dilation is real. The black hole stuff was not based on real science though.
>>
>>70454415
>time travel movie
>shits on time travel
ITS SUPPOSED TO BE BAD BRO
TURN OFF YOUR BRAIN
>>
people who find time travel plot holes are on par with shipper fanfiction writers
>>
>>70454494
>implying it takes effort to 'find' them
>>
>>70454484

>time travel movie

It's stops being a "time travel movie" after the first act.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QeGUl017aI
>>
>>70454336

>le I don't want to think about it so the logic doesn't make sense... Leaaaave me aloooone!!!

What ever
>>
>>70454415
I bet you loved Prometheus too.
>>
>>70454126
>you can't write your own inconsistencies into a story

>"Device A does X but not Y."
>character makes Device A do Y
>no one comments on it

That's an inconsistency.

>"Action B results in Reaction Z in all circumstances."
>Action B results in Reaction Z in most cases
>Action B results in Reaction W one time
>it's never addressed

That's an inconsistency.

If you don't follow your own rules, you're being inconsistent. So yes, you can write inconsistencies into your own stories, even for things you personally invent which can't happen in real life. If you set rules and don't follow them that's literally what inconsistency is.
>>
Traveling backwards in time will never happen unless you're using some scientific semantics like "I'm traveling near light speed so it's 2:00pm in the ship but 3:00pm outside" because time is an abstract concept. Even if we could travel back in time we would have no idea where the Earth was in space relative to where it is now. Could you travel back to 1955 but where California is now, you'd land in deep space. I'm not even just talking about orbit because the Sun is also being pulled along one of the spiral arms of the Milky Way galaxy at incredible speeds. And even if we could do that no one would be insane enough to do because even the smallest change would have huge ramifications. If you went back 100 years and stood in a line ahead of your grandparents which delayed them from getting home by 5 minutes to have sex so a different sperm fertilizes her then poof 3 generations of your family gone. There's just no way to predict what might happen.
>>
>>70454494
Plot holes in time travel fiction are usually fucking massive. It's impossible not to see them.
>>
>About Time
>you can't go back to before your kid was born, it'll change them as the slightest change to you will alter your sperm in the future
>well if you travel back to when you're a kid and we hang out, things shouldn't change
>>
File: 1465018265918.png (4 KB, 438x499) Image search: [Google]
1465018265918.png
4 KB, 438x499
>>70454533
>JGL shoots himself at the end
>Bruce disappears
>nothing else is affected
FUCK YOU CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNT
>>
>>70454480
Traveling to past will always create an alternate timeline. If someone in our own timeline in the future was able to create time travel, he could never come back here,
>>
>>70453649
We still have yet to reach the moment in the future where someone did travel back in time to change the past. The past couldn't have been impacted because the time travel hasn't happened yet
>>
>>70454545

No, because the characters in Prometheus were terrible and the thematic content was weak and stale.

>>70454599

But that's exactly how it works when Classic Paul Dano is crippled. How is that not consistent?
>>
>>70454207
debunked pic, try again
>>
>>70454624
Plus they couldn't come back here. Time travelers will never be able to go back in time becaus as soon as you go backwards, you've created a new timeline.
>>
>>70450335
Timecrimes

Wasn't really good, but it did time travel right.
>>
>>70454631
Yes, the entire way time-travel works is both FUCKING RETARDED and CRUCIAL to the plot.

That's why Looper is garbage.
You don't see Back to the Future fans tout them as accurate serious movies depicting time travel, unlike Looper-rats.
>>
>ctr+f
>no Upstream Color
might as well be called /plebs/ - Capeshit and GoT
>>
When I first saw Looper, I thought JGL was the future kid, and he fucked his own mom.
I don't know why.
>>
>>70454747
calm yer autism.
Looper is pretty great, time travel aside.
>>
>>70454438
Neato
>>
>>70454733
I love casual European nudity
>>
>>70454760
that was about aliens or some shit, man
>>
Primer
Time Crimes
El Jetee
>>
File: AustinPowersCrossEyed[1].png (181 KB, 612x256) Image search: [Google]
AustinPowersCrossEyed[1].png
181 KB, 612x256
>>70454631
Because the badguy from the future is the kid and the reason he became a badguy was Bruce Willis trying to kill him but time travelers in the past are effected by their past selves so if someone from the future was changing the past wouldn't the future guy's future past be altered? meaning the events leading to Bruce going back hadn't happened until he changed things yet when people's past selves are altered it doesn't effect their course of action it just effects their physical form.
>>
File: 1465015126197.jpg (277 KB, 1000x801) Image search: [Google]
1465015126197.jpg
277 KB, 1000x801
>>70454786
yer into incest.

Back to the Future is so much more interesting after you realize you want to fuck your own mother and fantasize about fucking her when she was younger.
>>
>>70454539
I understand the logic I'm just saying I don't find it to be a compelling argument.

Alternate timelines could get around shit like killing yourself in the past or stopping the time machine from being invented but what reason is there to believe they exist? What physical force/process would cause that?

If you can't answer that you're basically saying
>maybe magic happens?
>>
>>70455016
if you're already accepting time travel as a thing, it's no stretch to accept alternate timelines. Practical time travel is already nonsensical enough on its own. If anything, alternate timelines help make time travel more logical since you don't have to deal with paradoxes at all.
>>
>>70455016
It's just suspension of disbelief then.

You either accept Superman can fly or not, etc.
>>
>>70455045
But what causes them anon? You don't seem to understand what I'm getting at.
>>
File: theflashfinale[1].jpg (39 KB, 957x703) Image search: [Google]
theflashfinale[1].jpg
39 KB, 957x703
Why did past future Flash dissapear when he saw his mom was saved? wouldn't he be a time remnant?
>>
>>70455092
Alternate timelines?
They are everywhere, always were, infinite, everything possible no matter how improbable can and did happen.

There are several unrelated theories about it in science, but it's just a jumping off point for stories mostly about regret.
>>
>>70455113
>capeshit
nope
>>
Time travel can't exist. Energy and matter cannot be created or destroyed. Time travel would insert matter and energy into a universe where it did not exist previously, therefore creating it.
>>
>>70455113
Can Flash go back in time, I thought he could only go forward
>>
>>70455293
When did he go forward?
>>
>>70455310
comics
>>
>>70455113
time remnants are really stupid in flash and don't make sense

but here our Barry basically wrote himself out of the timeline, he's dead
>>
If any movie does Time Travel where they go backward they did it wrong no exceptions

You cannot travel backward through time
>>
>>70455280
Yer retarded, it's about being unable to reverses entropic causality, not the 2nd law.
Time Travel moves matter in time it doesn't create it.
>>
>>70454600
>BRO IT LIKE SEPARATES INTO AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE FOR... REASONS
>>
>>70454556
>so a different sperm fertilizes her then poof 3 generations of your family gone.

Only in that timeline.
>>
>>70455362
>movie has <premise> for story
>wow, <premise> would never happen, what idiots
>>
File: 1465015100394.jpg (19 KB, 320x290) Image search: [Google]
1465015100394.jpg
19 KB, 320x290
>>70455362
Are you always this fucking stupid aspie fuck everywhere or only online?
>>
There a show or movie where some try to change an event in the past and everything starts trying to kill him. I thought it was a pretty based idea.
>>
>>70455420
Where's the proof that time travel """""""Separates into a new timeline"""""""" what does that even mean? You sound like a fucking moron.

Time travel backwards is impossible anyway.
>>
File: 1456770979739.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1456770979739.png
296 KB, 649x649
>>70455427
>>70455453
It will have massive plot holes that people will constantly point out, time travel backward just doesn't work. Not my fault movie makers cant into science you retards
>>
>>70455457

11/22/63 the series does that. Some good moments of the past actively trying to fuck with James Franco.
>>
File: hhEt9YVJ[1].jpg (18 KB, 372x372) Image search: [Google]
hhEt9YVJ[1].jpg
18 KB, 372x372
>>70455362
All moivies are time travel movies because we are constantly travelling forward in time
>>
>>70455458
how autistic are you? are you formally diagnosed? do you go into comic book movie threads raging about how superpowers are impossible?
>>
>>70455458
>Where's the proof that time travel """""""Separates into a new timeline"""""""" what does that even mean? You sound like a fucking moron.

It means that history would change but it wouldn't invalidate the fact that you travelled back in time. If you stopped your parents from creating you, you wouldn't just disappear. That can't happen.
>>
>>70455458
>Where's the proof
it's a premise, dipshit.
We are on /tv/ not /sci/, you fucking idiot.

Also moving through parallel universe/multiverse isn't time travel, USE YER FUCKING BRAIN.
>>
>>70455524
but it can in a movie
>>
>>70454556

Maybe humans figure out how to accurately move through space first.
>>
>>70455498
there are some movies like 12 Monkeys that don't have plot holes given how they established time travel. Just because most people are too dumb to write time travel to have some internal consistency doesn't mean the premise is fundamentally flawed.

Most science fiction has some premise or detail that's impossible or at least highly improbable, so to rage over time travel in particular doesn't make sense.
>>
>>70455517
Some people are talking about time travel in movies but this has also become a "is time travel possible or not?" discussion
>>
>>70455524
Yes I understand that because you're already there, but how does that prove you have entered a new timeline and left behind your original universe?

it doesn't
>>
>>70455498
That's why the most common premise is closed loop timeline where everything is accounted for.

It's considered too vanilla and writers always try to create different situations, they know ppl don't care about plotholes, just movie stars and guns.
>>
>>70455524
>If you stopped your parents from creating you,
THEN DON'T, kinda simple.
>>
File: Wolverine-XMDoFP.jpg (765 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
Wolverine-XMDoFP.jpg
765 KB, 2048x1350
OK

no wait

so

In Days of Future Past, when Wolverine returns to the future and everything is back to normal, what happened to the mind of the Wolverine in that timeline? Did the time travelling one just take over his brain?
>>
>>70455596
Because if you altered the future the events leading to you going back wouldn't have happened and you wouldn't have gone back to change it in the first place.
>>
>>70455524
>That can't happen.
why not? Maybe a paradox destroys the universe and resets it into a new big bang and you have to avoid that?
Retard.
>>
>>70455596
>but how does that prove you have entered a new timeline and left behind your original universe?

Because the universe you're in now cannot be the same, since you exist in the past where you did not before.
>>
>>70455643
basically yes, we saw a Wolverine officially die

It's possible Xavier could "unlock" the past Wolverine but he didn't seem particularly concerned that the Logan he knew for decades just got wiped out. Instead he called the Logan he knew for a few days "old friend".
>>
>>70455660
>Maybe a paradox destroys the universe

lol

So everything just explodes because of an error of logic?
>>
>>70455648
That depends if the means to travel through time come with you or not.

If a device just sends you back, then you fuck up everything and it cannot be made later it does not mean you left your original universe. There is no alternate timeline separate from the original, you just changed the current one.
>>
>>70455690
You said
>That can't happen.
Now YOU have to account for that pardox, retard.
>>
>>70455640
You don't understand if you did something so simple as buy a newspaper which means when your great grandpappy went to buy one they were sold out on shelves so he had to wait five minutes for the clerk to get more from the back which delayed him getting home 5 minutes delaying when he fucks your grandmother with another sperm meaning you and your father never existed now, presuming by then they didn't get distracted even longer by deciding they were hungry instead, one of them starting a fight given the extra time, even if it was a different city who knows whether the one you delayed didn't then offset something which offsets something that will still eventually lead to the whole world being different now presuming you're not blipped out of existence in a paradox to see it.
>>
>>70455667
If time travel BACKWARDS is possible then yes you can exist in the past where you did not before.

You're thinking of traveling between universes or dimensions which is even more hypothetical than time travel
>>
File: hqdefault(4).jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault(4).jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>70455690
A RIP IN TIME
TEAR IN THE FABRIC OF SPACE AND TIME
WATCH OUT FOR THE LANGOLIERS
THEY EAT YOU UP
DON'T FUCK YOUR MOM MARTY
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 273x185) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 273x185
>>
>>70455708
>That depends if the means to travel through time come with you or not.
No. The events of your travelling back have changed in that universe but they had to have happened or else you wouldn't be there. Just having the time machine with you wouldn't change anything.
>>
>>70455764
But that never happened because you exist already, there is nothing you can do to alter the past, it's set in steel, what ever you think you will due as a time traveler was and always haven been dome already in the past.
>>
Man time travel really gets the tism going.

Glad there are others who see how stupid this
>the timeline just splits bro... Cause it does
Shit is

You're only argument seems to be that that has to be true for it to make sense but that's a really shitty argument, maybe it just doesn't make sense, maybe it just doesn't work.
>>
>>70455643
That's his own brain, dude. Discard literal interpretations and take it as Past-Wolverine waking up from a nightmare about him being hunted by robots.
>>
>>70455576
>oesn't mean the premise is fundamentally flawed.
fuck you time travel doesn't work.
Its fiction. Its not explained at all in 12 monkeys, its a magic device
>>
So much autism here
>>
>>70455813
Unless there are alternate realities.
>>
File: cubic.jpg (123 KB, 1300x961) Image search: [Google]
cubic.jpg
123 KB, 1300x961
>>70450335
Cube 2 : Hypercube
>>
File: poiuhg.jpg (18 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
poiuhg.jpg
18 KB, 259x194
>>
>>70455819
>what is a plot device
autism
>>
>>70455814
>the timeline just splits bro... Cause it does
Who said that?
>>
>>70455842
ONE WORLD
ONE TIMELINE
ONE JESUS, OUR LORD AND SAVIOR
EVERYTHING ELSE IS HERESY AND THE DEVIL'S LIES
>>
Paycheck is objectively the only movie to get time travel right, or rather, time viewing.
>>
>>70455824
DUDE ANY CONVERSATION THAT ISNT SHITPOSTING IS AUTISM LMAO
>>
>>70455860
Literally everyone "arguing" for alternate universes/timelines

No one has explained how or why that would happen they just say it would apparently because that would make time travel make sense and they want it to make sense but you can't just say x is true cause it would make y possible and I want y to be possible. That's not how science works.
>>
>>70455900
Philip K. Dick's adapted movies except for Blade Runner are all garbage, read his actual short stories, much much better.
>>
>>70455945
Paycheck is pretty bad but

>Total Recall 1990
>Minority Report
>garbage

I thought A Scanner Darkly was great, but it is kind of all over the place. I just thought it made sense to be like that since everyone is tweaking out on drugs the whole time.
>>
>>70455936
>No one has explained how or why that would happen they just say it would
Dude, have you ever read a science book written past 1950's?
Quantum physics, string theory, M-branes, 11 dimensions.
It's modern science you fucking illiterate burger dumbfuck.

It's where these fictional premises are coming from, Cletus.
>>
>>70455993
ASD is great IMO, you're right that its all over the place but it still works.
>>
>>70455936
Do you have some kind of selective memory or did you just not read?
>>70455993
Total Recall doesn't have time travel.
>>
>>70455993
Total Recall's pretty tight but the story is completely diff.
Minority Report is conepone Spielberg schlock.
>>
>>70456031
>still hasn't said WHY the timeline splits
>>
>>70455819
>dude dragons are impossible let me rage in every /got/ thread
>oh wait I don't do that
>>
File: 1465015376309.jpg (113 KB, 428x456) Image search: [Google]
1465015376309.jpg
113 KB, 428x456
>>70456087
Fucking seriously?
Are you just pretending to be retarded now?
Seriously?
>>
>>70456087
It's ALWAYS splitting, everywhere, all the time.
The traveler just SLIDES to diff. lines.
You are American, yes?
>>
>>70456115
>time travel might be real because I like this movie and its better then that other movie with time travel because its made up logic is better
fuck off
>>
>>70456087
>dude why does this device that allows me to travel through the dimension of time also allow me to travel through a different dimension
>lmao1!!!
>>
>>70456123
>STRING THEORY QUANTUM MECHANICS 11 DIMENSIONS STUPID AMERICAN

Are you pretending?
>>
File: 1465015818421.png (124 KB, 249x272) Image search: [Google]
1465015818421.png
124 KB, 249x272
>>70456178
So you are retarded and just ass blasted by your own ignorance, thank you.
>>
>>70456175
But we were talking about traveling backwards through time like in the movies.

Reversing time, not traveling between dimensions
>>
>>70456031
>throwing around science buzz words

String theory/m theory are not that widely accepted and the different dimensions proposed by those theories are not alternate universes/timelines they are literally different spacial dimensions.

The many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is the only serious scientific theory I know of that deals with anything like alternate universes/timelines and again it is not the scientific consensus, and the inability to explain the mechanism of world splitting is actually one of the main reasons for that.

The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics is actually still the most widely accepted.
>>
>>70456170
>most sci-fi movies have some premise that's supposed to be taken as a given so the story can happen
>wait I want to be triggered by time travel movies in particular
>>
>>70456178

You're a fucking faggot piece of shit. FUCK YOU FUCK OFF PIECE OF SHIT BLAH BLAH
>>
>>70456206
reversing time means reversing the whole universe essentially, the power for that is kind of impractical

you're better off inventing a machine that lets you travel to an alternate universe whose "present" is the past or future you want to ravel to
>>
>>70456067
I was responding to a guy that said every Philip K Dick adaptation besides Bladerunner is trash, so I listed out some other adaptations I thought were pretty good.
>>
>>70456251
Well there you go faggot, thats not traveling backwards through time. Exactly what i have been saying traveling backwards is impossible.
>>
>>70456280
I actually realised that after i posted.
Minority Report technically has time travel though.
>>
>>70456283
yeah but are you the one who's been triggered about the alternate timelines? there's raging autists on both sides of this argument and we've all been talking to each other so pls be nice
>>
>>70456217
Time travel doesn't work.
12 monkeys is no better then Back to the future when depicting it.
Time travel films are fundamentally stupid and you have to be stupid to take them seriously.
The only people triggered are the ones finding plot holes.
>>
File: 1465016919028.jpg (94 KB, 601x508) Image search: [Google]
1465016919028.jpg
94 KB, 601x508
>>70456364
>>70456207
>yfw talking to aspies who can't pass a Turing Test
>>
>>70456351
No theres probably about three of us sorry m8 but you know autism is an insult thrown around way too easily here.

Also multiverses are practically as implausible as backwards time travel. If the universe is infinite that means you would have to travel forward in time, or be able to travel so far out into the universe (which would be forward time travel) to find an earth with the perfect circumstances you are looking for, even more impossible than backwards time travel
>>
HOLD THE DOOR

Being a time traveller means having to travel in time to do things to keep your current timeline consistent or else risk reality breaking.
>>
>>70450335
Sound of Thunder.
>>
>>70456462
multiverse isn't implausible, just the idea you can travel to them
>>
>>70456411
Are you giving us the Turing test which means we're dumber than stupid computers? or we cant tell we're arguing with robots?

Quit throwing around scientific buzzwords
>>
>>70456477
>reality breaking
how does it "break?"
What happens if I do kill my grandpa?
>>
>>70450445
one of these things is not like the other
>>
Primer da best
>>
>>70456504
Yer a common aspie who can context any real conversation, but spastic bullet points and will reply 'til the heat death of the universe became your mind is fundamentally broken.
>>
>>70456511
if you kill him you were always supposed to kill him, and indeed, fated to kill him as it t'were inevitable
>>
>>70455310
everytime he runs its forward, anon
>>
>>70456552
Nah.
>>
>>70456564
wat
>>
>>70456577

>>70455842
>>
>>70456564
I really hope you are just pretending to be retarded
>>
File: 1465091583563.jpg (140 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
1465091583563.jpg
140 KB, 620x350
what movie?
>>
>>70456600
He's gonna stop talking to you because you are right and he was wrong, anon.
>>
>>70456364
I hope you're just pretending to be retarded
>>
>>70456620
not time travel, Falling Down
>>
>>70450335
Interstellar & Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
>>
>>70456511
Maybe you disappear
Maybe you destroy the universe
Maybe you create a paradox and the universe just doesn't give a shit about paradoxes and its fine you just keep living even though you were now never born
Maybe you go to a different universe/timeline
Maybe you would simply be unable to kill your grandpa no matter what you did

No one knows. Most likely it just doesn't work and will never come up.
>>
>>70456616
He's retarded, you're autistic.
You should marry.
>>
>>70450335
The Adjustment Bureau
>>
>>70456692
go back in time and have you as a baby
>>
>>70456706
They were angels
>>
>>70456729
That would explain the inbred retardation due to autistic genes.
>>
>>70456706
NEPHALEMS_
E
P
H
A
L
E
M
S
>>
It's a Wonderful Life.
>>
>>70456802
>>70456734
time traveling angels
>>
File: Fringe_intertitle.png (180 KB, 548x266) Image search: [Google]
Fringe_intertitle.png
180 KB, 548x266
>>70450335
the One and Only answer

/thread tbqh
>>
>>70456939
The end doesn't make sense.
>>
>>70456939
The ending makes sense at least
>>
File: 1465019426141.jpg (140 KB, 1552x1152) Image search: [Google]
1465019426141.jpg
140 KB, 1552x1152
>>70456980
>>70456939
>Abrams
>>
>>70456980
the flower made perfect sense. *Season 3*
>>
>>70456993
>Walt goes to the future to stop watchers being created
>Peter is from Earth 2 and only goes to Earth 1 because September interrupted Walt 2 and was kidnapped by Walt 1
>Somehow Peter is with Olivia 1 despite September not existing.
>>
>>70456594
name a better time travel movie
>>
>>70457125
Every single movie listed here except for Looper.
You only like it because the charterers are literally you.
>>
>>70457224
learn to spell, faggot
>>
File: 1465090585836.gif (1003 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
1465090585836.gif
1003 KB, 220x220
>>70450592
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.