[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Western kino
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.jpg (239 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.jpg
239 KB, 1024x768
>essential western films
I've neglected this genre for a long time. Give me some pointers so I can get started, please.
>>
>>70449336
>The Good the Bad and the Ugly
>Once Upon a Time in the West
>The Wild Bunch
>McCabe and Mrs. Miller
>Unforgiven
>Dead Man
>The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Start there, OP.
>>
>>70449425
wild bunch is super overrated but great cinematography
>>
>>70449336
Western isn't a genre, it's a set design.
>>
>>
File: 1453713008172.gif (1 MB, 209x180) Image search: [Google]
1453713008172.gif
1 MB, 209x180
>>70449425
Thanks
Is Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid worth watching? (if you've seen it)
>>
>>70449425
>start with the 3rd in the series

yeah, naw.

If you want to watch the good the bad and the ugly start with yojimbo and work your way from there.
>>
>>70449663
not that anon but yes definitely, one of my favourite westerns
>>
>>70449663
Yes.

Also:
Stagecoach
My Darling Clementine
Red River
Johnny Guitar
Winchester 73
The Furies
>>
>>70449336
that poster is bothering me. At least put the characters in the same order as the title
>>
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Johnny Guitar
McCabe and Mrs Miller
>>
>>70449729
They're in the correct order though.
>>
File: Western.jpg (1 MB, 2800x2632) Image search: [Google]
Western.jpg
1 MB, 2800x2632
Here's a bunch, leans maybe too heavily on post-60s and spaghetti westerns for me but it's wide ranging

>>70449663
It's very popular but I personally hated it. It's a tonal mess and Butch and Sundance have the likability of homoerotic frat brothers convinced they're the coolest guys around

It also borrows a ton from better movies made around the same time, and in my opinion uses those elements very poorly
>hyper violent "death of the west" theme (Wild Bunch), but bounces between that, a goofy buddy comedy and bad love triangle so it never really works
>doomed lovers on the run (Bonnie and Clyde), but Butch and Sundance never really feel tragic the way Bonnie and Clyde do
>folk song on the soundtrack (The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy), but used in the most useless, tonally inappropriate way imaginable
>>
File: 1447425823078.png (90 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1447425823078.png
90 KB, 250x250
>>70449657
>>70449711
>>70449772
Thanks
Making a list
>>
I say this every western thread, but...
Watch every Leone western chronologically: The Dollars Trilogy, Once Upon A Time In America and Duck, You Sucker.
Then watch his ultimate masterpiece, Once Upon A Time In America.
>>
>>70449425
>>Once Upon a Time in the West
>>Dead Man

Do not like. Especially the first one. There are a couple of good scenes, but it drags.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.