[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'Fargo' Creator John Landgraf Rails Against Netflix
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8
File: netflix-logo[1].png (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
netflix-logo[1].png
105 KB, 1280x720
>At the Produced By conference, the FX chief and 'Fargo' creator discussed the rapidly changing TV landscape, the lack of originality in most reboots and why Silicon Valley's "monopoly" business model is "terrible" for creatives.
>"There's a whole thing going on right now with Netflix and others in Silicon Valley saying algorithms are going to rule all and make decisions and I say, 'Posh.' You can't," said the FX Networks and FX Productions CEO during a Produced By conference panel with Fargo creator Noah Hawley. "It's not like making a computer program that can work in the fixed and formal rules of chess," he said, adding that there are too many variables involved in deciding what television shows to make.
>"I've spent a lot of time thinking about it. I think our society is best when storytellers are in the most empowered positions — and the thing that worries me a great deal is that if I look at Silicon Valley's fundamental business model, I look at it like Monopoly," he said, rattling off examples — Google, Airbnb, Uber, Amazo
>"I don't like this winner-take-all model, this Google model. I think that's a terrible model for the future of creative"
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fxs-john-landgraf-rails-netflix-899694

It's official. Netflix is the cancer that killed television
>>
I'm pretty sure Noah hawley created fargo
>>
Netflix is the chemo killing cancer that is cable and network television.
>>
Netflix is the waif humbling Arya Stark in close combat
>>
I really don't get what you mean by this.

Also Fargo > anything on Netflix.
>>
You've got to be pretty dumb if you don't realise that cable companies all get together and raise prices simultaneously so nobody can switch to a better deal. It's basically a monopoly, only legal. It's the same with every fucking industry, the idea that creativity is being hampered by the Netflix model, which is already crumbling as cable scum make competing services, is ludicrous.
>>
Who Cable + Streaming + Pirate master race here?
>>
Netflix is the big guy crashing network television with no survivors.
>>
>>70442060
test
>>
>>70442989

Read the fucking post Netflix uses algorithms to figure out what to make based on what people are watching, totally different from how tv stations evaluate what programming they're going to pick up.

Netflix just sees people jerking off to comfy meme tier shit like Kimmy Schmidt and Daredevil and just regurgitates more. Orange is the New Black is a prime example of this conflicting desire to have edgy mature content but then comfy pavlovian hooks.
>>
>>70443370
And? You've got to be dumb to think all media companies haven't been doing this shit with focus groups for years.

The Netflix system is no worse or better than the systems in place at 99% of media conglomerates today.
>>
>>70443065
>Cable
Is this bait?
>>
>>70443370
And how is this any different than the shit on cable television? FX just shows reruns of Two and a Half Men all day.
>>
>>70443822

With executive meddling and such you still have humans at work who the writer or director can appeal to and defend their creative choices. Justify trope subversions or pitch fringe ideas.

With algorithms you're running with bean counters that will demand it all adhere to the data. All you're doing is making everything defanged, inoffensive, predictable. You don't get made by committee mediocrIty. You don't get The Wire, or Mad Men, or Sopranos, or Breaking Bad, or Fargo, none of that shit.

Netflix doesn't give a fuck about the creatives. They want crowd pleasing content to keep people dropping dollars. When they want something with identifiable talent they go with Adam fucking Sandler.
>>
>>70444120
It's laughable to point out a few shows released over a few fucking decades and go "oh no, what if all of THIS goes away?"

A show worth watching every couple of years? I think I'll survive without them, honestly, if you're delusional enough to think that nothing of value will ever be produced by the spooky "algorithm" boogeyman.
>>
>>70442060
He's right though. Look at all those natural monopoly companies that emerged - Uber, Amazon, Netflix, Airbnb etc. All of them are objectively terrible and bad for business and have seriously degraded the quality of their respective industries.
>>
>>70444120
>They want crowd pleasing content to keep people dropping dollars

ONLY PATRICIAN KINO GOING MEN LIKE ME DECIDES WHAT PEOPLE SHOULD ENJOY

THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED TO ENJOY ADAM SANDLER HOW DARE THEY
>>
>>70442667

This. It's waking normies up. I just stream everything for free, but its a vital fist step for normies to get unfucked by cable
>>
>>70444397
>regular cabs better than uber

lol
>>
>>70444397
Why would I take a cab that will take an hour to show up, if it does so at all, and charge me a ridiculous fare when I can take an Uber that will be there in less than 2 minutes and cost $20 for a half hour ride tops?
>>
>>70442060
Anyone with half a brain can see this. Netflix shows are terrible, they would be cancelled in any real network.But thanks to binge watching people don't notice it
>>
>>70442060
I thought those two brothers created fargo
>>
>>70444864
They did but he's Executive so he's going to put his name on it anyways.
>>
File: 1465018176773.webm (3 MB, 808x624) Image search: [Google]
1465018176773.webm
3 MB, 808x624
>algorithm decides what people will like
>"Watch the new Netflix™ Original Series™: Now with more Cuckolding®!!"
lmaoo
>>
>>70444999
what exactly did she mean by that?
>>
>>70444434
Didn't say that at all.

'Base' sitcom/reality programming is something that provides networks stable income and fills timeslots. If not for it the drama stuff would be risky.

Hell even It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was a gamble for FX. Netflix wouldn't risk that. They'd want it to adhere to their madlibs bullshit.

And when everything is just a madlibs template it all has the same inevitable conclusion, it loses any actual chance at having theme or meaning - it's just trash made to spin wheels.
>>
>>70444999
wtf I hate ball crushing fetish videos now
>>
>>70444397
>uber in my country is 60% less than the normal cab fee
>they give you water
>chocolates
>put the music you want to hear if you ask
>with netflix you can watch whatever the fuck you want whenever you want without commercials for less than half the cable fees
this is literally free market in action and there is nothing wrong with it, the world needed this
old monopolies must die even if that means replacing them with a new better one, in time the cycle will repeat and we will get even better services
>>
>the president of a major tv network doesn't like Netflix

How is this even news? Of course he hates competition.
>>
>>70444120
Bernie go home.
>>
>>70445099
>put the music you want to hear if you ask
it's a nice feature but they only play pandora so I never ask
>>
>>70445213
I took lyft and was very happy with it. The car didn't smell like ass or armpits and I got to sit in a real car not some cumstained shitbox.
>>
>>70443370
>Major studios just sees people jerking off to trash tier shit like Paranormal Activity and Avengers and just regurgitates more.
>>
>>70444397
>Netflix
>monopoly
>>
>>70445099
>old monopolies
The internet companies are owned by broadcast companies. They're just losing one industry and gaining another
>>
>>70443370
>Netflix looks at what shows people are watching to determine what new shows people will want to watch
You aren't actually implying that cable and network television don't already do this, are you?
>normies get off my tv reeeee
I'm sorry not everybody likes what you like. Streaming services like netflix absolutley do have more freedom to experiment with content then they ever had on cable TV. I'm sorry that you forgot that tv programming was a business.
>>
>>70443370
that's not even how it works m8. Production companies make show and present them to distribution companies that either buy them or don't. The fargo guy seems to have missed that point. Netflix doesn't create shows based on some algorithm, they don't even create shows.
>>
>>70445420

Read

>>70445045
>>
>>70442060

This guy is full of shit. Netflix is a haven for people who have ideas not generic enough for cable
>>
>>70445495
>they don't even create shows.
did you forget about fuller house?

netflix has been making original content for a while and its only going to make more.
>>
>>70443370

an algorithm came up with arrested development season 4 and Trailer park boys season 8-10?

Smart machines

Those are some smart fucking computers
>>
>>70444397

I literally do all my shopping on amazon. Same day free delivery for almost anything I can think of with best or market prices on the Internet? How is that bad?

Also uber is better than any cab I've taken. People are friendlier, it's cheaper and faster and anyone can drive for uber and make more than minimum wage with their own hours

Theres a reason great ideas that are well executed take off
>>
>>70445495

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/how-netflix-uses-analytics/

Netflix tracks:

When you pause, rewind, or fast forward
What day you watch content (Netflix has found people watch TV shows during the week and movies during the weekend.)
The date you watch
What time you watch content
Where you watch (zip code)
What device you use to watch (Do you like to use your tablet for TV shows and your Roku for movies? Do people access the Just for Kids feature more on their iPads, etc.?)
When you pause and leave content (and if you ever come back)
The ratings given (about 4 million per day)
Searches (about 3 million per day)
Browsing and scrolling behavior
Netflix also looks at data within movies. They take various “screen shots” to look at “in the moment” characteristics. Netflix has confirmed they know when the credits start rolling; but there’s far more to it than just that. Some have figured these characteristics may be the volume, colors, and scenery that help Netflix find out what users like.
>>
>>70444820

Longmire, kimmy Schmidt and Trailer park boys are worse than 2 and a half men and the walking dead

Don't make me laff
>>
>>70445671
like I said, netflix doesn't create shit, they just distribute it. They didn't approach stamos and said they would fund it, stamos approached them and asked them if they would. He probably also approached every other network like nick at nite or whatever and netflix either had the best bid or the only one.
>>
>>70445797
that's nice and all, but it has nothing to do with what shows are created. You can argue that they use all that data for what shows they decide to purchase, but they're not going to the house of cards people or marvel and giving them notes.
>>
>>70445045

This is nonsense. Netflix consistently picks up shows that were cancelled on cable due to low ratimgs like longmire arrested development and some others.

That's much riskier than anything cable channels do, except tbs picking up american dad
>>
tbqh it just sounds to me like netflix turned down fargo and someone is just bitter about it. There is literally nothing formulaic about the shows on netflix and they could easily be found on amc or fx or hbo.
>>
>>70443370

>algorithms to figure out what to make based on what people are watching, totally different from how tv stations evaluate what programming they're going to pick up.

You must be one dumb mother fucker if you don't know that networks choose shows based on focus grouping and ratings. You think they're creative bastions or something? I mean goddamn what a moron.

All netflix does is take that number data and crunch it on a computer instead of having people analyse it. Same process, more efficient.
>>
>>70445881

And if they did, it would be no different from standard executive meddling on network or cable
>>
>>70444120
Please have sex
>>
>>70445892

>picks up an old le quirky meme show with proven cult following

>riskier than greenlighting something like You're the Worst or Man Seeking Woman....or Broad City or any other unproven comedy
>>
File: 1462463535156.jpg (30 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1462463535156.jpg
30 KB, 320x320
>>70444397
>>
>>70444999
DELETE THIS
>>
>>70445892
How is that risky? They don't need ratings, they need subscribers. Picking up some show that got canceled and still has a fanbase is the best way to get new subscribers.

Also, Arrested Development got cancelled because of a reason. Season 3 was already bad, the Netflix one was completely garbage.
>>
>>70446289

Shit logic. Dragging a group of viewers into any time slot would boost viewers for shows before and after it. Youre assuming groups of people are subscribing for single shows. That wouldn't make sense. The way to maximize viewers would be for each show to appeal to as many people as possible to increase the likelihood of individuals liking more than a single shoe, making the subscription worth it. In your fantasy world network have just as much reason to only pick up cancelled shows with followings because it's a guranteed market for each timeslot
>>
>>70446100

>Man Seeking Woman....or Broad City

>DUDE WEED LMAO comedy
>unproven

Okay chucklefuck
>>
>>70446558
>Youre assuming groups of people are subscribing for single shows

Not him, but that's what my mom did for Fuller House.
>>
>>70442731
The Waif is perfection.
>>
>>70445099
they are cheap as fug since they dont have to pay taxi cab regulations same with Air BnB
>>
>>70444999
i wonder if the guy is wearing a cup or if he is a ball busting fag
>>
>>70444397

Yes Amazon is terrible and I wish I could go back to paying twice as much for shit from Walmart.
>>
File: 1456505585519.jpg (6 KB, 168x148) Image search: [Google]
1456505585519.jpg
6 KB, 168x148
>It's official. Netflix is the cancer that killed television

Good. Netflix has almost entirely good shows and television is almost entirely shit.
>>
File: wj9EqnxmgjahzqdgzqmpZUCEo1_500.jpg (14 KB, 469x351) Image search: [Google]
wj9EqnxmgjahzqdgzqmpZUCEo1_500.jpg
14 KB, 469x351
>>70445797
>TFW someone at Netflix knows I started the Blue is the Warmest color's sex scenes 10 minutes before bed every night for two months
>>
File: 1446222781550.jpg (47 KB, 383x504) Image search: [Google]
1446222781550.jpg
47 KB, 383x504
>>70447977
>Netflix has almost entirely good shows
>>
>>70442060
Oh yes, because Cable TV was a lot more story writer friendly then Netflix.

Of course.
>>
>>70442060
Fargo is the cancer my bro. You should know better.
>>
File: 084.png (298 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
084.png
298 KB, 600x512
>>70442060
That's a really long way of saying "People don't know what they want until you show them".

I agree, but that bitch is salty AF.
>>
>>70442656
i'm pretty sure the coen brothers created fargo
>>
>>70443370
But isn't that exactly how ratings are considered? Well this show is tanking so let's cut it and well this show is succeeding so let's make more like it.
>>
Can we blame algorithms on Powers?
>>
>>70450712
Nope. Pure incompetence from Sony is the only explanation for that.
>>
>>70444997
Even if he makes good points, Why doesn't he create something original and then blast people?
>>
>>70445765
preach
>>
>>70445804
I admit the last season of Trailer Park Boys was bad. Netflix has hits and misses just like very other network. The only difference is that they have the capitol to create multiple shows simultaneously.

And Kimmy Schmidt aint no 30rock but that show is ahead of its time
>>
Netflix needs to work on content before they give me recommendations.Im watching Zoolander now which is about as good as it gets unfortunately
>>
None of what he said made any sense
>>
>>70448772
Vince McMahon's known about this for years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mwpsWs7JSY
>>
Believe it or not, I've actually found a cable plan that is better value than straight Internet, so for the first time in more than a decade I'm actually watching cable again.

Spoiler alert: it's 90% shit and the good stuff is still better to pirate (with cable you've got issues like signal loss)
>>
File: 48d.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
48d.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>70445414
amazon, netflix, Airbnb, and Uber are all independent companies,
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.