[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If TDK came out today, would people still praise Heath Ledger
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: joker.jpg (69 KB, 900x470) Image search: [Google]
joker.jpg
69 KB, 900x470
If TDK came out today, would people still praise Heath Ledger for his "incredible" performance as the Joker? Or would it be seen as edgy and tryhard.

I personally never thought it was good acting. As an amateur actor myself, I know that pretending to be "crazy" or unhinged is probably the easiest part to play.

2008 Ledger was 9/10 in his time, but he would be 2/10 today, is my honest opinion familia.
>>
Yes because there'd have been no Heath Ledger's Joker.
>>
>>70432012
Lets pretend he would still be alive for the sake of discussion.
>>
It wasn't because it was crazy, it was because he was literally unrecognizable.

Going from playing a cowboy who likes to take it up the ass to that was a huge wtf moment for everybody. It was basically like daniel day lewis in there will be blood, but multiplied by 10 because of Ledger's death
>>
>>70431928

considering edgy villains with an elaborate plan wouldnt be so common currently without him probably not
>>
>>70431928
>I personally never thought it was good acting. As an amateur actor myself
That's why you're amateur and he won an Oscar
>>
>>70431928
>As an amateur actor myself, I know that pretending to be "crazy" or unhinged is probably the easiest part to play.

Let's see it then. Act better than the joker. Go. Right now. Do it. I want to see.
>>
>2008 Ledger was 9/10 in his time, but he would be 2/10 today, is my honest opinion familia.
What changed in 8 years?
>>
>>70431928
>As an amateur actor myself
There's no way this isn't bait. No one would purposely admit that, especially on here
>>
>>70432636
this, put your meme where your mouth is
>>
File: tip.jpg (75 KB, 800x816) Image search: [Google]
tip.jpg
75 KB, 800x816
>>70432636
>>70432721
>>
>>70432788
If I had to describe your current mood with a movie title, it would be Mad Max
>>
>>70432788
not an argument
>>
nothing easier than playing such a caricatural, exaggerated role.
what's hard is recreating the subtle emotions, the delicate folds of human's mind.
>>
>>70433061
No you're right and based on what you said he shouldn't have won the Oscar I'm glad you decided to post.
>>
>>70433061
> emo faggot the post
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsbIdSGwoEs
inb4 op posts something like this
>>

Making youtube videos with your little brother doesn't count anon.
>>
>>70433319
the cringe is real
>>
File: Beyond Mad.jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Beyond Mad.jpg
53 KB, 500x500
>>70432851
Beyond Thunderdome
>>
>>70431928
Yes it would.

Bad acting is when you see the acting, when you see the actor trying to be someone else while spouting lines that he remembered from a piece of paper.
Good acting is when you see none of that, when you actually believe everything that is portrayed like it is an actual character.

And for me Ledger did just that.
Not for one second could I see or recognize that it is actually Heath Ledger behind the Joker. Voice, movement, facial expressions, delivery, ticks everything. He was the Joker in every possible way.
Ofcourse the make up helps, but there are countless examples where actors with even heavier make up prosthetics gave unconvincing representations of certain characters.

tl;dr - ye he was good
>>
I watched TDK again a couple weeks ago and there are some great subtleties in his performance that I never noticed before. Also he inadvertently influenced like every fucking comic book movie villain after that, so maybe that's why it doesn't seem so special now to you
>>
>>70433810
edit: Thanks for the gold!
>>
>>70431928
He was a bad joker, but played a good character.
>>
>>70433965
>Le bad x good y meme

Joke yourself
>>
>>70433965
Fuck off, Mark Hamill fag
>>
>>70433860
Nice. I see that making quality posts is now reserved for Reddit.
>>
You know, I thought the same thing and did for probably the last year, and then I went back and watched it seriously for the first time in years like two weeks ago. Totally wrong and was entirely engaged.

His performance is gripping and over-the-top; there aren't many actors that make you forget that it's a person that's memorized some words on a page out there; there isn't a moment in that film where you catch a wink of what potentially could be Ledger's real life persona.

Jack Nicholson literally just played himself. But Ledger kinda just left himself behind.

Probably why he died tbhfam
>>
Whoa thats deep famalam.
>>
>>70431928
I will never forget going to see TDK in theaters for its midnight release. Honestly, I wasn't even that pumped to see the movie, but my friends and I decided to go on a whim.

It's really hard to describe, but I remember seeing the movie and experiencing it, taking it all in, etc. I knew right then it was something special. TDK as a film was okay, but Heath Ledger as The Joker was something on the same level as Brando as Vito Corleone. It knocked my socks off and it definitely deserved all the hype it got.

I rewatched the film a couple of years ago and it's every bit as good as it was the day it was released. The other two films don't really stand up to TDK, but that's to be expected.

Now, I know this is a drastic change of topic, but what are you guys opinions on Leto's Joker? I honestly can't fucking stand all the hype that faggot is getting and all the manufactured hype of the Suicide Squad movie. It looks like shit with shit actors with a shit story. Fuck Will Smith and fuck Harley Quinn.

I feel like Jared Leto is trying to "top" Ledger's performance and all the stories about his buffoonery on set is absolutely cringeworthy.

TLDR FUCK SUICIDE SQUAD
>>
>>70434439
>opinions on Leto's Joker?

It's exactly like if you or me was given the role and we based our entire performance on Heath.

It's just a random, talentless person doing an impression of a dead actor because money is involved. There is nothing more to him.
>>
TDK is really good on first viewing, simply because it really does live up to most of the hype.

Multiple viewings kinda kills it after a while
>>
>>70434439
Shut the fuck up mate. Bane was a way better villain than joker. And it's a much deeper story for Batman too, because he just can't beat Bane with physical power alone.
>>
>>70434569
I agree with what you are saying, but Jared Leto is a pretty good actor and up until the whole Suicide Squad hype, I really enjoyed watching him act.

I can't really put it into words, but I feel like he is trying to outdo ledger's joker, and to me that is completely and totally disrespectful. I mean what the fuck?
>>
>>70434636
plz no baneposting in this thread. plz plz plz.
>>
His performance was perfect. I was immersed, which hardly ever happens, especially in a theatre. Best action film since T2
>>
File: 1430948766183.jpg (25 KB, 537x417) Image search: [Google]
1430948766183.jpg
25 KB, 537x417
>>70434678
>>
>>70434581
That's because of Nolan. Every Nolan movie has bad replay value.

But always a great first experience tho.
>>
>>70434653
It seems like he's trying to outdo him but doesn't understand what made the character great. It's like if you watch the Godfather and think it's only a classic because people are really, really Italian.

And then you're cast in the remake and you play Don, and your character is AYEEE MAKE IM AN OFFUH HE CANT REFUSE HUH? LEMME GET DIS STRAIGHT, YOU COME INNA MY HOUSE, ON DA DAY OF MY DOWTUHS WEDDIN? YA DONT EVEN CALL ME GODFATHA AYE

And then he leaves cannoli and sausages in the trailers of his fellow castmates. The joker isn't just about being as wacky as humanly possible. There's subtlety, anger, sadness in the actual brain of Heath that brings out the charm.
>>
>>70434849
Yeah. I'm really hoping Suicide Squad flops harder than the Ghostbusters remake. Fuck that bullshit movie.

LOL JARED LETO AS JOKER IS SO RANDOM HOLDS UP SPORK XD
>>
>>70434914
>Sources from the brilliant minds at the studios behind the new Suicide Squad movie, a spin off from the ever popular Batman series, made popular by Christopher Nolan, have let us in on a few of the details of Jared Leto's stunts behind the scenes the new Joker
>"He came onto set one day, we were filming in the prison yard, and I notice a pall over the rest of the cast, I turned to look at Leto, who was carrying six ham sandwiches in one hand. He proceeded to eat one and put the rest back in his trailer on a table. I had to sit down after that one, it really blew my mind. It really is the type of depth that you need in order to fulfill a character that goes this far of the deep end."
>>
>>70431928
The original "le edgy realistic joker momma gonna freak"
Nicholson and Ramon are the true jokers
>>
>>70431928
He would still be praised, because he didn't play him as some tryhard edgy faggot, the character came across as legitimately edgy, unhinged and batshit insane.

For an example of someone TRYING to look edgy, unhinged and batshit insane see the Jared Leto mockery. Nothing about Ledger's joker felt like a put on, it came across as completely authentic.
>>
>>70434785
Nolan seems to be a master of plot, and his characters are mostly there to contribute to it. May lack replay value because the plot is already known, and you can identify how each of the characters' actions is supposed to contribute to it.

Surprisingly though Memento has good replay value
>>
For centuries titsfags have ruled the planet

I hope they all die. That bubble butt is perfect.

Fucking literal (WHITE) manchildren love tits because their fucked up (WHITE) brains want to fuck their mothers or some messed up shit. They want to go back to the 'intimacy' of suckling their mom's tits so they desire bigger and bigger tits like little baby men freaks.

Real masculine people prefer a nice juicy plump ass providing maximum comfort and cushioning for thrusting as well as providing a heavenly succulent meal before laying pipe.
>>
>>70434849
>The joker isn't just about being as wacky as humanly possible.

I do agree to some degree, but every Joker representation should be it's own.

I wouldn't mind Leto's Joker being an extremely wacky cartoony character if he could pull it off. But it seems like he will be just an edgy hardtry wannabe with no detail in his character besides being ABSOLUTELY CRAZY HEHEHEHHE TWITTER AM I RIGHT

Normies will say he is crazy just because he will do something edgy like eat someones eyeball or some shit like that in the movie, not because of his performance. You throw in some over the top laughs with that and there you go, we can sell that
>>
>>70435163
i think you have replied to the wrong thread friend
>>
>>70435119
YEAH!!

NEVER TOUCH ANOTHER MANS RUBARB *Shakes head quickly and sighs through a smile* XDDD
>>
>>70435154
I feel like the total opposite is true. Nolan's plots and small details are usually bad, but he hits emotional resonance and his actors give good performances or are really charismatic.
>>
>>70431928
Stopped reading
>>
>>70435519
*tip*
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.