[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /tv/ im thinking of buying up Babylon 5 the complete series.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: babylon5.jpg (67 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
babylon5.jpg
67 KB, 1024x768
hey /tv/ im thinking of buying up Babylon 5 the complete series. The problem is unlike stargate or farscape which I watched when I was younger and remember almost everything about. I remember like nothing about the Babylon 5 except that I enjoyed it. is this a good idea? does the series still hold up or am I cruisein for a bruisin?

also Babylon 5 discussion I guess.
>>
It's a great idea, go for it. B5 hasn't aged as well as its deep space competition, but you're still in for a fun ride.
>>
I really enjoyed B5 when it first ran. It seemed to have a depth and nuance that the Star Trek franchises of the time couldn't match.

Cut to 2014 or so, and I want to introduce my girlfriend to B5. (She's a science fiction fan, but grew up in France and never saw the show.) Rewatching the first few episodes with her, B5 seemed like a cheap soap opera with elaborate costumes and bad CGI establishing shots. It literally put us both to sleep every time we tried another episode.

Sad to say, but I don't believe Babylon 5 holds up at all.
>>
>>70371416
>>70371978

B5 is fantastic for the acting and plot, 1st season can be hard to get through though, and the CGI is very dated

still one of my favorite sci-fi's of all time and absolutely worth getting/watching even today
>>
>>70371978

Seems like along with a gf you lost your taste in good sci-fi. It happens

Season 1 was a load of ground-setting and procedurals, I remember season 2 being noticeably better once Sheridan comes aboard
>>
>>70371911
>>70371978
>>70372039

in truth the CGI doesn't really bother me, hell I still love TNG's early CGI if for no other reason than to appreciate it as a product of the time. my big concern was/is does the story hold up, as iv been told once you get past season one it really picks up.
>>
>>70372114

CGI was literally the only issue I had on a recent rewatch, so if you're not a graphics whore like most of these other peasants you're set. The story still holds up VERY very well, season 4 was fucking amazing to witness even the 2nd time although the last season felt like a laborious epilogue.
>>
It's boring as fuck. The first season is worse than DS9 and Next Generation first seasons combined.
>>
CGI is horribly dated but S2-4 remains probably the best televised SF. The less said about the acting in S1 or the attempts to make a S5 out of nothing after the main plot had been wrapped up already the better.
>>
>>70372039
This. Great story, excellent characters.
>>
It's a good show and good scifi
>>
>>70372182
Some of the monster of the week episodes aside, everything after Sheridan came in was amazing. Season 4 benefited from them thinking they were getting cancelled so they put all the serialized shit for the final two seasons into it.
>>
>>70371416
The fourth season is one of the greatest seasons of any TV series ever

Rest of the show is pretty good but not great
>>
>>70372114
It's a good story. The problem with the first season is the acting and that the idea of telling a story with narrative continuity week to week in tv. Both got better the next season, but given there's like 22 episodes to get through and some of the stuff is important later... yeah, it's a slog.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 250x242
>>70371978
Dam, I want a cutie French maid gf to watch sci fi with now.
>>
>>70372394
>the idea of telling a story with narrative continuity week to week in tv
*was still pretty new and not something they seemed to trust the audience to follow along with.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.