[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Huns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9
File: General_Mandarin.jpg (73 KB, 672x576) Image search: [Google]
General_Mandarin.jpg
73 KB, 672x576
>"YOUR MAJESTY! THE HUNS HAVE CROSSED OUR NORTHERN BORDER!"

The "Huns"?

As in the Huns who've neither lived nor migrated anywhere NEAR China?

Did he mean Mongols?

Why didn't they just use Mongols?
>>
Top 5 Disney Renaissance flick
>>
>>70345399
LETS
>>
>>70345399
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiongnu
>>
>>70345399

Knowing nothing about the situation; probably because mongolians still exist and huns for all intensive purposes dont.
>>
>>70345434
DOWN
>>
>>70345452
Pro tip anon, it's "all intents and purposes". Maybe you were baiting, I don't know.

It happens. I keep pronouncing "courteous" wrong
>>
>>70345399
Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>70345482
EVERYONE
>>
>>70345399
'Hun' could have been a generic term for steppe hordes, like how the Romans called them all 'Scythians'
I know during WWI there was propaganda that called Germans 'huns' so it's not unheard of to match them with a bizarre group
>>
YOU'LL BRING HONOUR TO US ALL
>>
>>70345399
Nigga with all the nonsense in this movie that's what bothers you?
>>
The Huns are typically (at least in mainstream culture) considered to have been the descendants of Xiongnu, who were a people that had war with Han China, which the dynastic period Mulan legend is supposed to have taken place in. Mulan is filled with anachronism and popular conception taken at face value. Surprise, surprise, it wasn't really historically accurate, which is why the movie didn't do well in China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns#Origin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiongnu
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han–Xiongnu_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hua_Mulan
>>
>>70345399
>TO DEFEAT THE MONGOLS
yeah that sounds super catchy
>>
>>70345452
This is probably the reason actually.
Using mongols could offend someone and hurt disney's money making, calling them Huns offends nobody.
>>
>>70345399
He meant Xiongu but changed it so that dumb western audiences can understand
>>
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as the Huns, are in fact, The Mongol Empire, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, the Mongols.
>>
>>70345892
>offending modern day Mongolians
>all twelve of them
>>
>>70345445
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiongnu
>As in the case of the Rouran with the Avars, oversimplifications have led to the Xiongnu often being identified with the Huns, who populated the frontiers of Europe. The connection started with the writings of the 18th-century French historian Joseph de Guignes, who noticed that a few of the barbarian tribes north of China associated with the Xiongnu had been named "Hun" with varying Chinese characters. This theory remains at the level of speculation and although it is accepted by some scholars, including Chinese ones, the majority of Anglophone scholars flatly reject it.
>>
>>70346090
>forgetting we live in the age where minority's are given more power than the majority

how naive
>>
>>70346126
see >>70345765
>Mulan is filled with anachronism and popular conception taken at face value
>>
Let's get down to business
To defeat the mongols
Did they send me daughters
When I asked for songols
>>
File: genghis khan.jpg (110 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
genghis khan.jpg
110 KB, 1920x1080
>>70345399

sup. were you protecting Melbourne? shame what happened to them
>>
>>70346090
The weird thing is that modern day Chinese are still kind of afraid of offending the Mongols, they're treated with far more respect than any other ethnic minority in China
>>
>>70346268
Urgh this guy and that fucking Aztec sperg are so frustrating
>>
Fucking Mongs
>>
>>70346217
Mongols aren't even a minority in America. They're literally nonexistent.
>>
>>70346366
>Incans declare war early on
>take one of my cities
>take it back
>they try to negotiate peace
>lolno
>take one of their cities, then sign treaty
>declare war again and take another city halfway into the treaty

lol silly Mexicans
>>
>>70346253
I feel dumber having laughed at that.

Get bent.
>>
>>70346347
to be honest senpai the mongols were pretty terrifying back in the days
>>
>>70346347
Probably because the Chinese respect strength, so they respect a culture that conquered them once.

They don't respect Japan since it's still a sore wound.
>>
>>70346761
>Incas
>Mexicans

mind your native american tribles nouns shitlord
>>
>>70345661
During the Boxer Rebellion, Kaiser Wilhelm II gave a speech that included this section. (This is why they got called Huns later on)

Should you encounter the enemy, he will be defeated! No quarter will be given! Prisoners will not be taken! Whoever falls into your hands is forfeited. Just as a thousand years ago the Huns under their King Attila made a name for themselves, one that even today makes them seem mighty in history and legend, may the name German be affirmed by you in such a way in China that no Chinese will ever again dare to look cross-eyed at a German.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (42 KB, 284x442) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
42 KB, 284x442
>>70346090
>all twelve of them
Er...
>>
>>70346907
>Czech republic

I wonder what they're plotting there...
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 292x146) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 292x146
>>70346749
not so fast
>>
>>70346907
>half of the world's Mongolians live in China

>There are more Mongols in China than in Mongolia
>>
>Huns

BUILD WARR!
>>
>>70346857
He didn't say Attila. He said Etzel, but I have no idea who this king Etzel is.
>>
>>70346996
Check out the Irish people man
>>
File: statscap.png (24 KB, 304x604) Image search: [Google]
statscap.png
24 KB, 304x604
>>70346907

>posting fake stats
>>
>>70347050
Wow, it's almost like that was a translation.
>>
>>70347099
I get it!
>>
>>70347152
But Atilla is called Atilla in German too.
>>
>>70347064
The Irish have tens of millions of them. Burgers with irish sounding names who's great-great-great-great granpappy may have been from Ireland don't count.

Literally half of all the world's mongols live in China. That would be like a third of the world's Irish living in Ulster.
>>
>>70347229
It's Middle High German. People who lived over thousand and then some years tend to talk differently.
>>
>>70347237
>Burgers with irish sounding names who's great-great-great-great granpappy may have been from Ireland don't count.

And chineses with mongol sounding names who's great-great-great-great granmommy may have been raped by a mongol do ?
>>
>>70347338
>And chineses with mongol sounding names who's great-great-great-great granmommy may have been raped by a mongol do ?

Except that's not what the Mongols in China are.
>>
>>70346253
5 star post anon
>>
>>70345531
Errors like this are a diamond dozen anon. But don't let it get you all riled up.
>>
>>70347338

This muh heritage stuff is limited to the new world, Mongols are in China because China took Monglia over
>>
>>70347444
>This muh heritage stuff is limited to the new world

It's really not, it's very present in western europe
>>
>>70345399
Try finding a few words that rhyme with mongols
Keep in mind dongles didn't exist
>>
>>70346126
>the Xiongnu had been named "Hun" with varying Chinese characters
So what's the problem? Maybe they weren't the same huns but it was still an alternative name that was in use.
>>
>>70347503

Pakis have no delusions about being Europeans with arab heritage
>>
File: Oh, you.jpg (434 KB, 2253x2592) Image search: [Google]
Oh, you.jpg
434 KB, 2253x2592
>>70346253
>>
>>70347577
Pakis aren't arabs.
>>
>>70346040
Nice post /g/ bro
>>
>>70346040
>the Mongol empire that existed one thousand years later

So how's the Norman invasion of England going? That's happening right now, right?
>>
>>70345399
/his/ here:
Because Mongols didn't even exist in the timeframe of Mulan's setting, fuckface.

Which is either the Han dynasty or the Sui-Táng Period, depending on which source material you believe in.
>>70346347
>The weird thing is that modern day Chinese are still kind of afraid of offending the Mongols, they're treated with far more respect than any other ethnic minority in China
Because it's fucking law not to be a racist piece of shit towards minorities in China.

THAT and the Mongols aren't rebellious cunts like Tibetans, nor Terroristic pieces of shit like the Uighurs.

As for "tough guy"image: not really. Mongolians in modern China are memed as either steppe hicks or as singers. Mongols in China have this unusual propensity to join in showbiz. Mongol singers are a dime in a dozen there.

That said, horse-warrior shenanigans continue as the Chinese have one of the last remaining mounted cavalry units in the world: the 1st and 2nd Battalions of Cavalry, which draws its recruits from Mongolia. They serve as border guards in Mongolia/China border, which is often the site of smuggling and poaching of wildlife in both sides of the border.
>>
>>70347830

>Because Mongols didn't even exist in the timeframe of Mulan's setting, fuckface

Do you mean the empire because I'm pretty sure the people still existed
>>
>>70345399
You fucking idiot, Mulan shows the Han period, not Medieval China. Guess what, the Han did have a war against the Huns, upon which the original epos of Mulan is based on.
>>
>>70345399
The Huns are no longer a culture. The Mongolians are.

Don't want to offend the actual living people.
>>
>>70347973
>Han
>Hun
CONSPIRACY
>>
>>70347973

They had a war with the Xiongnu, not the Huns. But whatever, it's a disney movie.
>>
File: OiratVictory.png (28 KB, 284x202) Image search: [Google]
OiratVictory.png
28 KB, 284x202
>chinese """""""""""""""""troops"""""""""""""""
>>
>>70347830
The Mongolian prostitutes in Beijing are some of the best paid fucks around.
>>
>>70345399
>As in the Huns who've neither lived nor migrated anywhere NEAR China?
There's a dragon and this is too unreal for you.
>>
>>70347099
I laughed
>>
>>70345531
In a time of "epic" shit grammar memes, posts like these are a blessing in the skies. I don't mean to put your post on a petal stool, I just wanted to let you know I'm not taking your efforts for granite. I had a feel day reading this, and admitting that you sometimes mispronounce "courteous" was just ice king on the cake.
>>
>>70347954
Nope. The Ancestors of Mongols were around, but the Mongols were only ever a thing following the unification of a bunch of tribes under Genghiz Khan in northeast Central Asia.

That said, the problem-people of Han & Sui-Táng China were:
>Han Dynasty
Xiongnu.
>Sui-Táng Period
Take your pick:
-Gokturks.
-Uighurs
-Karluk Turks.
-*insert grouping or confederacy name* Turks
>>
>>70347830
Speaking as someone who's actually lived in China and Mongolia here's a list of all the things you're wrong about:
A. Just because it's against the law to discriminate against minorities doesn't mean that they don't do it, especially against minorities in the South like the Hmong
B. Mongols can be pretty rebellious cunts, they treat ethnic Han in Mongolia like shit and they're fairly rebellious against the Communist party, especially it's persecution of Tibet(keep in mind most Mongols are Tibetan Buddhist)
C. Mongols have a slight hick reputation but their main stereotype is still a very "tough guy" image, as for Mongols entering showbiz that's mainly because they naturally have extremely pale skin which is popular in China
D. Quite a few countries still have mounted calvary units since it's kind of hard to invade remote mountainous areas of places like Afghanistan in a Humvee
E. It's a really bold statement to say that Mongols didn't exist during the timeframe of Mulan, they may not have had much of a country yet but tribes in Northern Asia have been calling themselves Mongols since before the Han dynasty
>>
>>70347792
no you're thinking of the Abbasid caliphate
>>
>>70346366
Shaka is far worse.
>>
>>70349985
Its always so darn satisfactory to steam-roll that piece of shit.
>>
>>70349616
>yet but tribes in Northern Asia have been calling themselves Mongols since before the Han dynasty
Just plain fucking wrong.

Only their ancestors like the Donghu or Xianbei were around. But the Mongols as we know them showed up roughly around the 700;s AD.

That said: non were major headaches to the Chinese of the Han-Tang Periods as the likes or the Xiongnu or Turkics.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.