[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on this film?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: Whiplash_poster.jpg (154 KB, 250x370) Image search: [Google]
Whiplash_poster.jpg
154 KB, 250x370
Thoughts on this film?
>>
it was alright. i thought the pacing was off though, not quite my tempo.
>>
>film
It's a visual score
>>
It's good, actually made me feel anxious.
>>
>>70323574
kek
>>
Intense.
Went to see as it looked interesting, left the cinema stunned. One of the best films of last year.
>>
It gave me whiplash!
>>
yeah
>>
The end nearly had me in tears, and I'm a calloused belligerent drunk 30 something.

Blew my fucking mind
>>
we should have more stuff like this, and less capeshit and comedies.
>>
Pretty good, but what was the message? Sadistic authoritarian coaching works? Andrew's victory is the acceptance of a sociopath? Also, it's a shit portrayal of jazz. Again though, solid movie, had me at the edge of my seat
>>
>>70323523
Total shit. Nothing to do with a real musical environment at all, try hard edgemaster shit that's just gay as fuck.
>>
not quite my tempo
>>
Really terrible cinematography but other than that it's alright
>>
>>70323523
Amazing
>>
>>70323972
>Sadistic authoritarian coaching works? Andrew's victory is the acceptance of a sociopath?
Yeah, basically. More levelheadedly: artistic obsession and sacrifice is not easy, is not romantic, and is not worth it, except for a few people who have the stomach to go all-in on their "potential".
>Also, it's a shit portrayal of jazz.
Yeah. Then again it's not trying to be a documentary.
>>
>>70323523
Got me in to Jazz.
>>
Not very accurate, but to me that's not a big deal in movies, it's still believable. I though it was really great. It's probably become one of my favourite movies.
>>
>>70323523
I thought it was good until an anon said "it's just a sports movie but about an orchestra"
I realized it wasn't as good afterwards.
>>
>>70323523
>jazz musicians playing with sheet music
lmao
>>
File: whipy.jpg (59 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
whipy.jpg
59 KB, 1920x800
I really liked it, it's a fun, well-made film. It's like an action movie with drums instead of guns. Anyone expecting something "deep" because there's jazz involved are asshats that probably don't even listen to jazz.
>>
>NOT MUH TEMPO
the movie

in all seriousness, a good movie
>>
>>70323972
>Also, it's a shit portrayal of jazz
I think that was intentional, Im pretty sure you'd be called a "square" by most jazz types if you were that obsessed with jazz drumming of all things.
Its like a fictional version of Jiro Dreams of Sushi. The commitment may seem pointless to an outsider and may be unpractical and unnecessary even to other professionals but it doesn't make the struggle any less valid.

Its like a sports movie with no trophy at the end.
>>
>>70325897
this, though. If only more brass players understood this
>>
>>70326035
It's not a shitty portrayal of jazz because he's obsessed with drumming.
It's a shitty portrayal of jazz because all the music is completely scripted.
>>
T E M P O
E
M
P
O
>>
It was good to see Paul Reiser again even though I never found him funny and Mad About You sucked.
>>
>>70326085
>>70326035
>>70325508
>>70323972
Look up Richard Brody's review in the New Yorker. He makes a great point - the film totally misses the point about Jazz. And the Miles Davis anecdote is utter crap.
>>
The reason they use sheet music is because its not some Jazz troupe playing improvisationally or their own music. It's a competition orchestra with a strict teacher who demands every note be perfect. Only the drummer improvises because he's good enough to. None of the other players are good enough to do anything but read sheet music
>>
Car crash scene was a bit... out of place?

Otherwise, excellent. So many people don't understand the ending. It wasn't about alienating all those around you and sacrificing your life to be considered great.

The whole time Mr. Fantastic is looking for OTHER PEOPLE to tell him he is great, only to realize in the end that if he truly wants to be great, he needs to just say fuck the rest and do his own thing.
>>
>>70326351
>It's a competition orchestra with a strict teacher who demands every note be perfect.
And this is why it's not jazz.
>>
>>70326466
It would've worked better if the music was jazz and he actually played jazz.

But it wasn't, and he didn't. So it doesn't work. He's a selfish piece of shit and he'll never amount to greatness because he drew himself into the narrowest, smallest box imaginable: sheet music reading, rehearsed big band shit.
>>
>>70323881
Irony being both Simmons and Teller have been in capeshit films.
>>
>>70323523
I felt really motivated after watching this film but then I jerked off and that was that.
>>
File: 50314_288865372137_2985807_n.jpg (12 KB, 200x219) Image search: [Google]
50314_288865372137_2985807_n.jpg
12 KB, 200x219
>>70326718
>>
>>70326952
He's right though.
>>
>>70323972
>movies have to have a message

r/movies is truly here. this kino is a study in tunnel-vision obsession.
>>
>>70326994
i don't know the first thing about jazz. care to expand? do you mean that jazz is supposed to be a small-band, improvised effort?
>>
>>70326718
that's cause he's white
>>
>>70323523
Good, not great. Many similarities to Black Swan in the direction. J. K. deserved the Oscar he won.
>>
>>70327130
No, even in the big band era people like Duke Ellington, Count Basie still had a degree of improvisation on it, even though the bandleader still reigned supreme over the musicians.

What happened is that people had massive shit taste and were pretty racist back then, so the most popular big bands back then were shit like Glenn Miller that was square as shit, so that's why we get this idea that big band swing jazz has no improvisation and all and was basically "classical dance music" when that's not the case, at all.
>>
File: big_1419180885_image.jpg (86 KB, 1280x532) Image search: [Google]
big_1419180885_image.jpg
86 KB, 1280x532
>>70323574

WAS IT RUSHING OR WAS IT DRAGGING
>>
File: 1462336363837.jpg (32 KB, 600x446) Image search: [Google]
1462336363837.jpg
32 KB, 600x446
>>70326994

You're butt hurt brah?
>>
>>70323972

Does there need to be a """""""message""""""" you moronic cunt?

Go back to capeshit, that seems like more your tempo
>>
>>70327384
Shitpost harder
>>
>>70323972
His methods worked, yes. It's not about if it works or not, it's about if it's worth it.

I think his previous successful student who killed himself is part of that.

I'm probably projecting but i feel like part of that has to do with music being more than technical school, considering another casualty of his teaching style being the countless of musicians who didn't make the cut and quit music as a result, like andrew nearly did.
>>
>>70327599
That literally isn't a shitpost, you thick cunt. Films don't need to have a message
>>
File: getmovieposter_miles_ahead.jpg (669 KB, 1382x2047) Image search: [Google]
getmovieposter_miles_ahead.jpg
669 KB, 1382x2047
>>70323523
superior jazz movie incoming
>>
>>70327892
This is the mentality that breeds mediocre students.
>>
>>70328070
I mean it's objective but as someone who's really into music, i'd rather listen to music that's interesting but technically 'mediocre' than something that's technically really impressive but uncreative and dull.

Technical skill isn't everything. If it was, music like the blues (and by extention, rock) would be nothing. And instead most people would look at kids on youtube shredding covers as the greatest musicians.
>>
>>70328054
Whiplash isn't a jazz movie you big ol poop brain
>>
Pretty great film. The only thing I've learned from these threads is that jazzfags are insufferable
>>
>>70323523
hipster garbage.

Also, shouting at students like that is NOT a good way to teach.
>>
>>70327892
>>70328141

I've always interpreted the Fletcher character as someone who didn't really care about the artistry behind jazz and just wanted the conservatory to win money. Sure he said he was just hard on students to create another jazz master, but I can't see that as anything other than a lie to lift Whiplash's spirits up before smashing him down for his revenge later.
>>
>>70329730
As a jazzfag I confirm.
>>
>>70323523
I absolutely loved it. One of my favorite movies of all time (mostly because of that amazing ending)
>>70323574
Kek
>>
>>70323523
Poor plot but when I found myself gritting my teeth throughout multiple scenes I knew it was a very intense film. Probably one of my favourites. Awesome soundtrack too
>>
>>70326273
>New Yorker
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.