[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gandalf vs Dumbledore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 11
File: hqdefault gd.jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault gd.jpg
25 KB, 480x360
Okay, in all seriousness, who would win?
>>
>AVADA KADABRA
>Gandalf's body ded
>comes back
>AVADA KADABRA
>...rinse and repeat
>>
>>70318905
the one who isnt a faggot
>>
The real question is who would've won if Gandalf had ended up going up against the Witch King.
>>
LotR magic is a lot slower and weaker than Harry Potter magic. Gandalf could catch pinecones on fire and make bright lights. If he was serious maybe he could throw a fireball.

Meanwhile Dumbledore can shoot out paralyzing beams, teleport, cast various hexes, fly, etc. There's no contest, Dumbledore would win easily.

As a comparison of the universe power levels, consider that in LotR only the most powerful badass evil wizard on the planet could make a phylactery, but in Harry Potter some mudblood bastard child managed to make 7 with little effort. He even made one by accident!
>>
>>70319110
Are you mad? Gandalf is literally a fucking demigod. Dumbedore would get his arse handed to him.
>>
>>70319191
>demigod

that's just a word. A demigod in LotR is weaker than a powerful wizard in Harry Potter. Yeah he's a Demigod but he was still running scared from orcs and wargs. Being a "demigod" doesn't really help him out much in a fight.

Imagine if Dumbledore was in the same position as Gandalf was in The Hobbit when they were running from Orcs.

Well, first of all, Dumbledore could just instantly teleport everybody to the mountain, but if he wanted to fight he could have effortlessly knocked them all out from long range.
>>
>>70319355
LotR demigods can tear down mountains and sheeeeiiiiiiiiit
>>
>>70318969
fucking hate how that bitch JK rowling made shit so OP in her universe

fucking unblockable curse so OP
>>
File: 1716558-olorin_super.jpg (42 KB, 400x534) Image search: [Google]
1716558-olorin_super.jpg
42 KB, 400x534
>>70319355
>I don't know lotr lore
Gandalf is a maiar (angel) who is sent to middle earth to GUIDE it's inhabitants to overcome sauron. He and the other wizards were forbidden from matching sauron in power. That said, if he wasn't forbidden from using his full power he could literally destroy dumbledore with a snap of his fingers.
>>
>>70319483
it's not unblockable though, this is established in the very first book/movie
>>
>>70318905
>a demi-god versus a school teacher

Hmm I wonder..
>>
>>70318905
Who has more prep time?
>>
>>70319569
>if he was a different character he could win!

that he can't do isn't really relevant, is it?

Anyway, he never established that he had any more power than he showed. The belief that he has hidden power is just fanfiction. He had to call for help to get off a tower for god sake.

>>70319407
Any proof that Gandalf specifically could do any of that? Not all the demigods had the same power level. I'll grant that some demigods could slap Dumbledor's shit easily, but Gandalf is not one of them.
>>
>>70319569
>believing the meme magic

muh muh plot holes, they are so powerful but the gods say HE CANT USE HIS POWER

lmfao, he'd be transfigured into a piece of elephant dung in a millisecond even if he was "allowed" to use his powers that he clearly doesnt have as he never used them lol

avada kedavra + teleport = GG

oh no it cant be blocked, oh no RIP

Don't get me wrong though, the HP universe is fucking dumb but the magic in it is the most powerful magic ever written so far (maybe GOT can beat it due to the fact of resurrection but thats about it
>>
03AHJ_VutgYk12xSkhh3MSHB2W9fnHC8ihoNo45MKeCuaH8oxg0utL1MdKBa8sctOwYyJhOqM2GKDmkJ6U9Q0T4Yix-jmSlQdvxmHK1TiFdBK5uPtR95FRFmDbK_sx3ylFxVaDEr1ABcOw3yRMX-6MbHzGngF0TJfd0bTabLIPiwQMRXQgMSqc1RZtvLfYavQFgmHSRVQHj80sPxFhdDEJxdXt0rMFFoQvKkcH09Hq4B77pNbaNhz66nP_F7wkAqudBtT8DXzBbT9gv1sUsHLgi8utV3MSIfdUL7RUzwBs-63fDJ1AL7yjh2zQwjax6Wr2w0OJ0q27JaM8-W7MEn5yE1FI9mzNWOy7w4Qdsk7iwJ7fXQYKXN1uDVl2mgDdXuA-nx8lxBP_D6PceU6ERuDLYj9l4S9Mj9aPMFMRnjAbmNE8BEsrVRloXTo
>>
>>70319355
Gandalf single-handedly killed a balrog, m8. Dumbledore can do his party tricks all he wants but he's still a total pussy.
>>
>>70319569
>if he wasn't forbidden from using his full power he could literally destroy dumbledore with a snap of his fingers
>if he wasn't forbidden
>if
that's a big if

If you can't use your power you might as well not have it, Dumbledore wins
>>
>>70319578
throwing your self in front of a bullet =/= blocking the bullet, you TOOK the bullet

>my dad was a secret service agent
>>
https://youtu.be/ZIMoQHpvFQQ
>>
>>70319569
This. Though he wouldn't have to fight, could simply use a word of command. Besides Dumbledore cant do shit without his wand
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIMoQHpvFQQ
>>
File: 270[1].png (125 KB, 270x256) Image search: [Google]
270[1].png
125 KB, 270x256
I feel like a lot of people in this thread just like the writing in LotR more so they feel the need to come up with excuses so it "wins" this fight

power levels don't have anything to do with how good the source material is... in fact I would say that overly powerful characters is a sign of bad writing and power creep.

Pic related. This guy could kill everybody in both LotR and Harry Potter universe by himself in about 5 minutes, including all the gods.
>>
>>70319759
I was waiting for someone to post this
>>
>>70319700
It's a no holds barred fight between two wizards. Gandalf isn't holding shit back.
>>
File: latest[1].gif (1 MB, 245x150) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].gif
1 MB, 245x150
>>70319766
Dumbledore can do wandless magic
>>
>>70319833
If it's no holds barred then Dumbledore just casts death magic at the start and Gandalf died.

Anyway, still waiting for a source that Gandalf specifically has any more power than shown in the books (not another wizard, Gandalf)
>>
>>70319796
The only God is Iluvatar. Valar and maiar are the same species (ainur) only different in power. Also, dbz has to have the most retarded writting ever.
>>
>>70319796
and this is why the faggot poofer would win, because JKunt rowling is a hack and cant write, so she made all powerful unblockable curses
>>
this is a pointless conversation. obviously Dumbledore would win but Gandalf is an infinitely better written and more beloved character. Gandalf is objectively the one who even if he lost the fight would be remembered and Dumbledore forgotten and hated
>>
>>70319860
And Gandalf can catch Dumbs clothes on fire just by looking at them
>>
>>70319912
Gandalf can't die, dumbass, he's a god.

>Anyway, still waiting for a source that Gandalf specifically has any more power than shown in the books
You obviously haven't read the books beyond the LoTR trilogy.
>>
>>70320009
>>70318969

didnt even read the second post lol autismo

>also the faggot poofer can erase minds sooooo yeah lol OP as fuck hack writing
>>
File: latest[1].png (260 KB, 638x265) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
260 KB, 638x265
>>70320009
Oh, wizards can't die? Somebody should have told that to Saruman.

Well, he did die to such a massive and amazingly powerful spell that it's understandable that he died anyway... oh wait no, he died from a fucking arrow. A normal arrow.
>>
>>70319833
He's forbidden.
>>
>>70319940
>and this is why the faggot poofer would win, because JKunt rowling is a hack and cant write, so she made all powerful unblockable curses
Even if Gandalf couldn't out-magic Dumbledore -which he could, but just supposing- he would rinse him in hand to hand combat. Dumbledore is a frail old man who can barely walk right, Gandalf is an invincible god who batters Uruks to death with a stick and jumped off a cliff to kill a hundred-foot tall fucking fire demon with a sword.
>>
>its a vs thread

And look at that. Its shit in under 10 posts.
>>
>>70319860
>>70319700
>>70319663
ffs his name is dumbledor,he already lost at life with that shit sandwich of hand dealt to him.
>>
>>70319578
can easily dodge unblockable curses, like harry does from book 4 onwards
>>
>>70320100
No, in LoTR he's forbidden because he isn't allowed to influence man because blah blah etc, but Sauron is dead, and Gandalf has nothing else on his plate, so, if Dumbledore has no effect on middle earth and is purely on a vendetta against Gandalf, Gandalf would not be restricted in any way, shape or form.
>>
>>70320144
his name is albus lol
>>
>>70320235
it literally translates to "white". god Rowling is a hack
>>
>>70320090
Saruman was a naughty boy and needed to be removed from middle earth so he could catch a slap from his elders. Of course they let him die, how else were they going to get him on the naughty step?
>>
Could Sauron with the one ring beat Voldemort with all of his horcruxes?
>>
>>70320276
So his name = WHITE BUMBLEBEE

Lol, just... lol.

White Bumblebee vs White Wizard.
>>
>>70320305
This question triggers my anus.
>>
>>70320305
Yes.

Anyone can kill a horcrux or Voldemorte (providing all horcrux' are dead, don't give me BS about only harry can kill, harry was horcrux that's why prophecy)
>>
File: whatthefuckimcasting.jpg (28 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuckimcasting.jpg
28 KB, 600x338
>>70319766
Easy:

Gandalf: "Dumblendore, your Wand is broken".
>>
>>70319355
Gandalf was essentially told by god to avoid using his powers during the events of lotr.
>>
>>70319688
>Don't get me wrong though, the HP universe is fucking dumb but the magic in it is the most powerful magic ever written so far

not even close, actually.
>>
>>70319569
So were the balrogs and two got killed by pussy elves
>>
>>70319696
So did two elves
>>
>>70320009
Tell that to sauron, who is a maiar just like gandalf
>>
>>70320330
>>70320276
>13 years old on iphones telling a multi million how to write.
>>
>>70320659
No, gods who sent Gandalf didn't knew about the Balrog. So when Gandalf came back, they realised he was underpowered, so they sent him back with more power.
>>
Dumbledore because Harry Potter is kind of bullshit. Gollum could fuck up any house elf though.
>>
>>70320793
>. So when Gandalf came back, they realised he was underpowered, so they sent him back with more power.

there we have it, even if dumbledor was stronger which he isnt. gandalf just gets buffed with the next patch and becomes stronger
>>
>>70319483
it's not really unblockable. dumbledore blocked it with either his own spells or statues when he fought voldemort. Harry blocked it with a disarming spell in goblet of fire, but that might be a special case.it's at least easily dodgeable.
>>
>>70320793
The balrogs would not have had their maiar powers limited. And they got punked by elves. Gandalf also isn't fucking doomsday
>>
Dumbledore has better magic (as actually shown in movies/books), but Gandalf outclasses in every other way.

Strength, durability, intelligence, etc.

>>70320761
I'm not sure if sauron actually died, but was in such a state that he could never recover into physical form.
>>
>>70320941
Morgoth was cast into the void, but I'm pretty sure sauron was actually destroyed
>>
>>70320844
It's not buff. It's more like.
>"Oh, you had to fight Balrogs? That's why failed? Then you know what, go back, and this time you can use more of your powers"

Wizard was only his physical form, that he took when he came to ME. We know about his real origins and powers very little.
>>
>>70320979
Sauron's spirits is still wondering ME, but he's unable to do anything.
>>
>>70320693
>implying elves aren't actually hard as fuck
>>
>>70320941
If Gandalf can get in close he has it. Harry Potter characters can't do cqc.
>>
>>70318979
They're both faggots though
>>
>>70320807
No.

House Elf magic is most powerful magic in HP universe.

Guns are most powerful weapon in HP universe.
>>
>>70320923
He doesn't block killing curse, just dodges. Since you HAVE to shout the words and dumble + voldys fight is all quick cast silent magics.
>>
>>70321019
>for now
>>
>>70320775
I'm on an Android, thank you very much.
>>
File: faust.jpg (99 KB, 400x373) Image search: [Google]
faust.jpg
99 KB, 400x373
>>70319110
That's like saying Faust could take out the archangel Gabriel.
>>
>>70320565
as already mentioned, Dumbledore can cast magic without a wand
>>
>>70320775
im 12 and wat is this
>>
>>70321151
I don't expect Tolkien rising from his grave in any foreseeable time.
>>
Serious question, who would have won in a fight, Sauron or Tom Bombadil?
>>
>>70321171
Michael > Lucifer > Raphael > Gabriel
>>
>>70319700
Ok sure, but if Dumbledore was in character he'd never fight Gandalf anyway. I think this fight scenario assumes there's no holds barred.
>>
File: numenor-map.jpg (118 KB, 850x665) Image search: [Google]
numenor-map.jpg
118 KB, 850x665
>>70319355
Last time Gandalf and his ilk went at it, they sunk a continent.
>>
>>70321200
Just pray to the gods that no one does a girl with the dragon tattoo on him.

>tfw it's only a matter of time before this happens and GRRM is probably already considering it
>>
>>70321239
is the unfinished tales worth a read? i saw this map in it
>>
>>70321229
Nice list. Where is Mephistopheles on that Dragonball Z-tier power rankings?
>>
>>70321283
>no one does a girl with the dragon tattoo on him.
what?
You mean reboot? I haven't seen them, are they this terrible?
>>
>>70321239
Did gandalf personally sink the island? No? Then it's not relevant.

You know, a human dropped a nuclear bomb once IRL. So, should we consider all human characters to have the power to drop a nuke whenever they want?

Just because somebody else of his species could do something doesn't mean Gandalf can.
>>
>>70321326
Some other writer took it upon himself to write the next book in the series because Steig Larsson is dead and had no say in it.
>>
>>70320380

Sauron couldn't even send his servants to find his ring that had part of his soul in it. How the hell would he be able to locate 7 horcruxes?
>>
>>70321326
I thought they were referring to raping his corpse, but they already made The Hobbit trilogy
>>
>>70321283
the tolkien family is incredibly protective
probably not gonna happen until a bunch of them die off
>>
>>70321344
>You know, a human dropped a nuclear bomb once IRL. So, should we consider all human characters to have the power to drop a nuke whenever they want?

That's a bullshit analogy. We're not talking about a government body of technology here, we're talking about personal power. A fairer analogy would be that just because Bruce Lee could knock someone over with a 1 inch punch doesn't mean everyone else can. Although, of course, if anyone else put the same dedication into training that he did then they absolutely could.
>>
>>70321376
Oh, that's sad. I know this can happen sometimes, one famous czech author wrote a two really good post-apo books, but then simply refused to continue. One of his fans then write a continuation, but nobody really cared.

What happens after Tolkien's son dies? Who will get the rights?

>>70321432
Please don't remind me. I'm trying to forget.
>>
>>70321179
Gandalf: "Dumblendore, your head is broken"
>>
i would have thought this was a really worthwhile thread when I was 13
>>
>>70321461
Copyright only lasts 70 years after the author dies; it will stay in his estate for another 30-odd years and they it will be open season for anyone to use.
>>
>>70319110
>phylactery
>a small leather box containing Hebrew texts on vellum, worn by Jewish men at morning prayer as a reminder to keep the law.
huh
>>
>>70321530
40-odd, that is
>>
>>70321491
... but I've been 15 for a while now so I spend most of my time discussing superpowers in endless threads about the MCU
>>
>>70321530
Will be picked up by the ruddy, wobbling spawn of GRRM. Calling it.
>>
>>70321224
Sauron would run over that prancing faggot without breaking a sweat.
>>
>>70321142
I know for a fact he stops a few by putting items in front of him such as statues. harry also stopped a spoken avada kedavra at the end of goblet of fire. even if they had sister wands, harry's wand should not be able to cast a counter-spell if no counter-spell exists. he also had a dbz-beam fight with voldemort at the end of the series. the only way that it's unblockable is that protection charms such as protego don't work against it. But most higher level spells aren't stopped by protection charms either.
>>
File: fus_roh_da.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fus_roh_da.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>70319688
>>
File: dun_goofed.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dun_goofed.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>70319688
>Don't get me wrong though, the HP universe is fucking dumb but the magic in it is the most powerful magic ever written so far (maybe GOT can beat it due to the fact of resurrection but thats about it
>>
>>70321239
>Numenor shaped like a 5-pointed star
>5 peninsulas literally called stars
Why was he so butthurt about Soviets? As if basing his 'literally Satan' character on Stalin wasn't enough.
Also that lone fuckhuge mountain in the middle of a plain, far from the other mountain massifs is top tier fantasy geology.
>>
>>70321819
>>70321859
that's hardly impressive...
get your childish games out of my board.
>>
>>70321929
No
>>
>>70321325
>putting demons on an angel list

ishygddt
>>
>>70321689
yeah, good point about the statues

you can block with and object summoned by magic so I guess it counts.

harry only stopped it because hes harry potter, with his connection

all spells bar avada can be blocked with Dumbledores giant silver shield spell from OOTP
>>
>>70318905
>it's a virgin thinks life works like a videogame thread
>>
File: 800px-Yamcha_found_dead.jpg (34 KB, 800x445) Image search: [Google]
800px-Yamcha_found_dead.jpg
34 KB, 800x445
>>70322062
The poster was trying to say that Faust got his powers from Satan, and was therefore more powerful than Gabriel. That's retarded because he got his powers form Mephistopheles, and demon who is somewhere in the Yamcha or Krelin power ranges.

Also saying that Satan is more powerful than any of the non-fallen angels is controversial in and of itself with a lot of people.
>>
>>70321188
nice
>>
They're literally the same person
>>
>>70318969
>AVADA KADABRA

is there any evidence that dumbledore can even cast this?
>>
>>70322202
Satan can't make a man more powerful than an angel.

So I guess this demon would be after the power gap under the arch angels.
>>
>>70322419
much lesser wizards than him have cast it. so long as he has the intent, he can. Besides, it's hardly the only deadly curse. Ron's mother exploded bellatrix into a million peices. Only difference with avada kedavra, and the reason it's an unforgivable curse, is that it kills the soul not the body.
>>
>>70323003
>Only difference with avada kedavra, and the reason it's an unforgivable curse, is that it kills the soul not the body.
>it kills the soul not the body.
Christ the HP universe is so dumb. And love beat Professor Quirrel?
The universe has no consistency or valid internal logic.
>>
>>70324144
They're children's novels you dumb bitch
>>
>>70324144
The later books basically retcon the earlier ones to circumvent the "power of love" sentiments and instil a "supr-edgee" adult tone
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.