[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why have puppets died out in favor for CG models when nice looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
Why have puppets died out in favor for CG models when nice looking puppetry looks way better than any CG ever could?
>>
>>70282546
Lazy directors.
>>
It takes less time and effort
>>
>>70282546
Puppets a shit.
>>
Cheaper and faster
>>
>>70282616
kys my man
>>
>>70282546
People will say it's money but it's not. A puppet is much cheaper than CGI.

The reason is that studios don't want to commit to anything. They don't want to make a puppet for a scene that might up on the cutting room floor. Making the puppet also means they'll have to decide on a design for the monster or ghost or whatever, so if they want to change the design of the puppet they'll have to reshoot the entire scene.

It's much less effort to just add in some tacky cgi in post production.
>>
puppets look fake as fuck, CGI does not.
>>
>>70282741
>CGI does not
>implying
>>
>>70282710
ie cheap and lazy jews
>>
>>70282741
But puppets literally exist
>>
>>70282546
Cheaper
Requires less skill
Bad puppets look much worse than bad CGI
>>
File: CGI.png (1 MB, 1350x559) Image search: [Google]
CGI.png
1 MB, 1350x559
>>70282546
Because directors and producers are lazy than what they used to be 20 years ago.

Just look how bad this falcon from force awakens is - completely CGI.
>>
>>70282861
a bad puppet looks better by the mere fact that its an actual thing that exists in the physical world and is something that actors can actually react too.

Bad cgi just looks like a fucking videogame and the actors always look like they are talking to nothing
>>
>>70282632
Not cheaper, but faster.

CGI costs more money, but practical effects take more effort.
>>
Here is a practical miniature from The Phantom Menace.
>>
File: Videodrome.png (510 KB, 862x467) Image search: [Google]
Videodrome.png
510 KB, 862x467
Practical effects will always be 100% more realistic than any CGI.

Just look at this clip from Videodrome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abFI9YTIW1U
>>
Laziness and convenience.
>>
>>70283006
Now that looks nice
>>
>>70282811
they also look like puppets. I never once believed a puppet was an organic lifeform. It's a puppet.
>>
>>70282546
Modern movies should utilize both CGI and practical effects for best effect, CGI is good to add things to a scene that you cannot do easily with practical effects it becomes shitty when they over use it ex: Starwars prequels
>>
>>70283179
I just finished watching that like 10 minutes before I saw this post.

It was so fucking good.
>>
>>70282741
Go to bed George.
>>
>>70287062
This. As an example, this is the mask they almost went with in first Toby Maguire spiderman for goblin https://youtu.be/QEZBhL5lpqg

Something about it is so unnerving and unsettling. It looks great, even if they threw a little cgi on top of could have been incredible
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.