[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck did they get a cat aboard the Nostromo?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
How the fuck did they get a cat aboard the Nostromo?
>>
>>70280010
just like they get any pussy aboard anything.
>>
>>70280010
He was an alien all along
>>
>>70280010
he was all over that shit once he caught wind of the bonus situation
>>
File: how much my movie made?!.gif (1 MB, 245x350) Image search: [Google]
how much my movie made?!.gif
1 MB, 245x350
>>70280774
>the dog in The Thing
>the cat in Alien
P O U L T R Y
>>
>>70280010
They didn't. It escaped from Yutani's kitchen.
>>
>>70280010
It was a bonus from the goddamn company.
>>
>>70280837
>being this dumb

fucking Lambert literally pulls the cat out of the egg and then it latches to his face
>>
Cats on ships is a thing.
>>
File: finalbattle.jpg (54 KB, 600x460) Image search: [Google]
finalbattle.jpg
54 KB, 600x460
>>70280010

The trope of having a companion animal aboard the space-ship was previously used by Dan O'Bannon etc when they made Dark Star. In that film, the pet is an "alien" which is literally just a painted beach-ball, which leads Pinback (Played by O'Bannon himself) into trouble - just as the cat leads some crew members into trouble in Alien.

O'Bannon is therefore recycling this trope for a more serious picture, in his collaboration with Shusett. The cat as plot device was present from the start, and remained intact in the rewrites.

I found this cute sketch from the (earlier) screenplay, which contains regular references to "the cat", as yet un-named.
>>
The cat was the bonus
>>
>>70281008

Also what this guy said. Jonesey :3 even earns a purr-fectly nice entry in the "fictional ship's cats" section:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship's_cat

Ship's cats earned their keep by checking the rodent population on boats, and when cats are kept for this express purpose by a crew or other people, they are actually performing a named function which has some value: the cat is a /mouser/, in that it is actually finding and killing vermin. Freelance pest control.

On the RL tip it even bears mentioning that the space race was fresh in everyone's brains, and various animals were sent into orbit, since we have dominion over the animals and all and I guess we shoot the gorilla and so on. :'( The notion of animals in outer space was science fact even by that point, so it was all the more natural to include it in science fiction.
>>
File: kek.jpg (19 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
19 KB, 480x270
A still of the "beach-ball alien-pet" from Dark Star. The proto-Jones.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.