[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>asoiaf is so better than lotr it doesn't even have clearly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: snowsauron.png (546 KB, 449x683) Image search: [Google]
snowsauron.png
546 KB, 449x683
>asoiaf is so better than lotr it doesn't even have clearly defined villains!

Yeah, right.
>>
File: .png (362 KB, 640x629) Image search: [Google]
.png
362 KB, 640x629
>>
>LOTR sucks cuz of Eagles everytime xD

>GoT full of deus ex machina's save main characters whenever they are in danger (Daeny and her druguns, uncle Banejin)
>>
>>70269109
real talk though LotR is complete trash

obviously Tolkien is the founding father of high fantasy, but go watch Fellowship of the Ring right now. I dare you.
it has the most basic uneventful run of the mill plot you could possibly imagine. plot-wise the writing is capeshit-tier.
>>
>>>/lit/
>>
>>70269325
thanks fred
>>
keep it in your general idiots
>>
>>70269109
There's plenty of evidence that the Others are more than just evil ice demons that want to kill everyone.
>>
>>70270658
How could you possibly have such shit millennial taste.

GRRM can't even explain the most simplistic shit, like how magic works. His whole theology of "The good don't always live, and the bad don't always get what's coming to them", guess what, it was directly parroted from Gandalf talking to Frodo in the tunnels of Moria. Tolkien was very aware of the unfairness of the world, he just created a better story of good vs evil and how forces of good can be evil.

Tolkien is patrician birth of fantasy as we know it.

GRRM is copy-pasted edgy teenager garbage that has no actual creativity that relies 100% on shock value to keep people invested. It's TMZ fantasy.
>>
>>70270754
Not in the show.
In the show, the White Walkers are literally living weapons created to kill all humans.

The show is total shit now and has been for a while.
>>
>>70270860
>it was directly parroted from Gandalf talking to Frodo in the tunnels of Moria.
I just watched fellowship the other day and I laughed when I got to this part. Grrm obviously stole this entire conversation and built his entire series on it. The same guy who goes on record saying Tolkien was shit.
>>
>There are no villains and heroes in GoT
This is clearly untrue. Many of the characters make decisions which clearly coincide with cliche good and evil archetypes. It is undeniable that characters like Ramsay, Joffrey, the Night's King, Walder Frey, Roose Bolton, Euron Greyjoy etc. are all following a route of shameless rational self-interest, where they do not gain pleasure from the happiness of others.

Characters like Rob, Jon, Jorah, Tyrion, Eddard, Jaime, Brienne, Theon, Brann, Jojen, Meera, Melisandre, etc. all follow normal hero tropes, and even when they experience a "fall" such as Theon's betrayal of Robb, they redeem themselves by finding sympathy in another plight. They learn from their mistakes and develop into better people. Jaime is one of the best examples, as he changes an extreme amount from book one towards the most recent plots, to the point of favouring a character like Brienne, while he began as a potential child-killer.

There are a few characters that do not fit in either category, such as Daenerys, Stannis, Victarion, Tywin, Cersei, etc. but this is usually due to showcasing relatable and traditionally evil behaviours. The slavers are an excellent example of this, as they seem villainous in post-modern egalitarian moral philosophy, but their entire society is built on the foundation that people are property, thus changing their entire world-view at the core. You cannot condemn people as "evil" for living in a world where slavery is easily justifiable and traditional. Or, characters who have not had much backstory, such as the Three-Eyed Crow.
>>
>>70270754
Let's look at what we know about the Others:
>Mysterious, thought to be extinct.
>Shrouded the world in an ever-lasting night of suffering and ice.
>Defeated by man
>Quick to slaughter any living humanoids they come across
>Their presence brings blizzards and cold temperatures, while also raising the dead as Wights which kill humanoids as well
>Wights have some form of sentience, as they are able to retain memories and emotions from their life, and can potentially be fully conscious and intelligent as demonstrated by Coldhands
>As such, it's likely that being a Wight is torturous, since it forces them to obey the Others and retains negative emotions such as anger, like what Varamyr sees after attempting to warg with a wildling
>Others are associated with giant spiders, a predatory insect known for inciting fear and bringing death
>Others corrupt humans, forcing them to make blood-sacrifices as seen in the story of the Night's King.
>They steal away human children, a trait which is seen as absolutely morally condemnable and inhuman by cultures world-wide.
>>
>>70271433
The Others are GRRM's take on British/Irish Fairies.
It's pretty obvious that Westeros is like a giant Britain.

He's just taking more from the local mythology
>beautiful people from the North
>hidden and secretive
>dangerous
>steal children
>afraid of a type of metal
>>
>>70269325
But OP was talking shit about GOT
>>
>>70270658
I watched the entire LotR trilogy yesterday and still enjoyed them.
Can't say the same for current Game of Thrones.
Kill yourself, my man.
>>
>>70270658
>something is uneventful because there aren't meme deaths and rape
>>
>>70269109
The white walkers just want to purge the world of all the evil and make us all truly equal. Only capitalist amerifats could view them as the villain.
>>
>>70270981
>Grrm obviously stole this entire conversation and built his entire series on it.
The retardation here is astounding. Tolkien made a story that took heavy inspiration in medieval myth and then mixed in a lot of Catholicism and some of his other opinions like hating industrialization and having PTSD. You've got a guy who dies and comes back, there's a just war of good vs evil, the noble king, magic being a thing only divine beings can do, the ring being a fairly heavy handed representation of power and sin, the orcs destroying the environment and so on.

Martin on the other hand is a hippy atheist feminist with a more modern outlook on life who also hated the Vietnam war a lot. So he has a typical gritty story with a lot shock in it. There's a lot of heavy handed criticism of feudalism, religion, patriarchy and generally the whole cycle of violence thing. People are just people instead of being mythical heroes and are portrayed in a very cynical modernist way. Shit, the White Walkers in the books are called the Others which is pretty clear reference to what sociologists call "othering"

In Tolkien war is terrible but ultimately just and worth fighting against darkness. In Martin it's just assholes looking out for themselves while missing the bigger picture. Tolkien presents a rather quaint relationship between men and women with love on first sight being a common motif while Martin goes full horror house with rape and forced marriage and whatnot. I'll give you a tip: Martin is a feminist whose first gf tore him to shreds while Tolkien married the first woman he loved and stayed with her to death.

The 2 works actually couldn't be more different and present a true clash between 2 completely different personalities and generations.
>The same guy who goes on record saying Tolkien was shit.
Nice try, but he actually likes it and adores the way in which Tolkien ended his book in a bittersweet way and said he wants his ending in a similar style.
>>
>>70273371
>I'm a huge nerd please punch me in the face
>>
>>70270658
I think of the work of Albert Camus and his thoughts on sport as a superior cultural arena than the theatre. Lord of the Rings is simple, there's a defined enemy, the journey and the characters are established with clarity. It's so simple that it actually says more about humanity than any "political dark fantasy" ever could. Lotr establishes teamwork, respect for your friends and making the best of your life, working together to create a better future, family. I get more out of Boromir's character than I do from any ambiguously natured humourous memelord from GoT. By exposing the dark nature of humans, that they fight for "no reason", live to fuck and drink, rape and pillage and are inevitably consumed by power, it becomes simplistic in of itself.
>>
Anyone who actually thinks ASOIAF is better than LotR has to be brain-damaged
I suppose people really buy into the dark & gritty meme
>>
>>70269325
Fred is the saviour of /tv/
>>
>>70273499
ebin
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.