[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The Americans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: the-americans-2013-5102fc86a84d8.jpg (783 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the-americans-2013-5102fc86a84d8.jpg
783 KB, 1920x1080
I see this shit rated as one of the best shows on television, a 9/10, possibly 10/10. For instance Season 4 has a 95/100 on Metacritic right now, and a 96% on RT.

Is this show really that good? What even is this show about?

Politically, is this a left or right wing leaning show?
>>
>>67535958
>Is this show really that good? What even is this show about?
Soviet spies dealing with american problems and trying to mix in family life and not getting got

>Politically, is this a left or right wing leaning show?
Its about russian spies in the 80's. Figure it out.

Watch it for yourself and see if you like the suspense and what not. Pro tip: season one is slow but it gets better
>>
>>67535958
>Is this show really that good?
Amazing one of my favorite shows on television
> What even is this show about?
Elevator pitch? Russian spies are living in 80's America and live across from an FBI agent working in counter intelligence. They do secret stuff like assassinations and kidnapping and other stuff
>Politically, is this a left or right wing leaning show?
It is more in the middle and let's you decide. The protagonists(who are anti heros) are very left wing and hate everything fm republicans stand for. However they are the bad guys in the show so
>>
>>67535958
It has a GREAT soundtrack. FX is putting all of its money into this and it's paying off. The show is actually still compelling in its 4th season.
>>
It's great. Undeniably one of the best things on television right now. I highly recommend it.

It's about Russian Sleeper Agents living in DC in the 1980s.

I don't think it has a political lean to it, it's a spy thriller/drama, it doesn't make any claims against or for communism/capitalism. These are people assigned to do a job and you follow their story. The husband spy actually seems to like capitalism and America whereas his wife is a soviet die-hard through and through

I think it's the 3rd best show FX has ever made behind The Shield and Justified
>>
>>67536050
>>67536221
>>67536288
>>67536395
OP here, you have sold me.

I'm giving it a go.
>>
oh snap I just remembered I downloaded the pilot of this ages ago and forgot about it. guess I'll give it a watch
>>
It's fucking excellent. Which is why there are never any threads on /tv/ about it
:^)
>>
>>67535958
I've finished season 3. I love the show

But it isn't 10/10 or anything like that. It is a great show, and that's it.
>>
The politics are mixed. Like they kidnap a white South African assassin, and the black south African rebel necklaces him like a filthy savage (setting someone on fire while restraining them with a tire) while the assassin is calling him a dumb kaffir, and that the communist's are just using him to plunder Africa's resources.
>>
Greatest show running on tv sir
>>
>>67538339
It's good but it's no Steven Universe
>>
>>67538354
Get the fuck out of here with that hipster bullshit
>>
>>67535958
Honestly, it's the one show currently airing that might join the Sopranos tier by the end of its run. Season 1 is 7-8/10, the rest is 10/10.

Besides reciting the premise to you, maybe this comparison will help: imagine the tense thriller bits of Breaking Bad with all the ruminative psychological themes of Mad Men.

It doesn't take an overt political stance; we get fully into the heads of the Soviet protagonists, but that includes us being witness to all the terrible shit they do for 'the cause'.

If guilt, paranoia, crises of national identity, and parallels between the layers of deceit involved in espionage and marriage sounds interesting to you then you won't regret watching.
>>
>>67535958
>>Is this show really that good? What even is this show about?
Not even close. Don't get me wrong it's solid television. It's just not AMAZING or anything like that.
>>
I don't get the hype about this show at all. Maybe it is because I have a Russian GF.

It just seems so cheesy and silly. The actors don't look Russian, they make up some silly excuse not to speak it. The accents are so fake.

Its just another low budget western "RUSSIAN SPIES LMAO"

It just seems far to fake and over the top.
>>
>>67539274
>It just seems so cheesy and silly. The actors don't look Russian, they make up some silly excuse not to speak it. The accents are so fake.

The Russian characters speak Russian all the god damn time, what are you talking about? I'd guess about 25% of the show is in Russian.The protagonists don't, it's explained they're working for absolute mastery of American English so they never drop the American accent; I think that's a pretty clever work-around, actually.

I should also mention the main 3 characters who speak Russian are played by actors who are actually from fucking Russia, so you bitching about their accents is straight-up retarded.
>>
>>67535958
I have a wide and varied taste. I dont watch crap like the walking dead, and consider game of thrones a guilty pleasure.
I enjoy movies of directors like Tarkovsky, Bella, Bergman. I like art house cinema as well.
I can still enjoy blockbusters for what they are.
This show is definitely the best running series at the moment.
Is it perfect? No, its a bit too stylized and since its trying to be realistic I have to say the characters dont fit 100%. They are a bit too slick and their behavior and demeanor do not seem to fit completely with who they are suppose to be.
Some small details are retarded. Like the WW2 propaganda posters in the offices of the soviets.
Nobody would seriously hang those on walls in offices.
Could it have been smarter? It could have been.
I mean here you have characters who are immersed in US society for years, enjoy all its obvious material benefits and yet are still so vehemently pro SSSR? Such people, spies, that know both sides well, would be completely disillusioned, treating their job more as a necessary evil in global geopolitics then still repeating soviet high school mantras.

There are some other issues but overall its still well written, sexy and has some very touching moments.
The female actress has some amazing acting scenes, and she is simply perfect for the role.
The directing acting and casting really works for this character within the overall style of the series.
>>
>>67538077
Yeah, this was a great episode.
>>
>>67539274
I am russian. born in the USSR.
Of course its not perfect, Its a US rendition.
Still the russian dialogue is usually excellent, there are hardly any russian characters who have an in appropriate american accent and the fact the two main characters dont speak any Russian absolutely makes sense.
Its not perfect but its really really good.
I mean, what do you expect? Tinker soldier? Nobody would watch it.
>>
File: keri_russell.jpg (100 KB, 768x1152) Image search: [Google]
keri_russell.jpg
100 KB, 768x1152
>>67535958
It has based Keri Russell as a Soviet spy, what more do you need to know
>>
>>67540668
She is hot in a tender way.
>>
I would say there is a bit too much nudity and sex.
Sometimes its called for but sometimes its just feels like fan service.
>>
Keri Russell's character is a fucking beast on the show. That bitch is so down for her cause it's absurd. No remorse, no hesitation to kill whoever she thinks needs to go.

That episode where she beats the living shit out of her own commie handler and tries is drown her is as based as it gets.

"I'm gonna kill you, you stupid bitch...Tell whoever authorized this that your face is a message from me to them. Show them your face! Show it to them!"
>>
>>67540884
It was actually a bit off character. She is super patriotic and obedient.
One of the writers having a bad day when they were writing that episode.
>>
File: keri_russell_2.jpg (103 KB, 768x1152) Image search: [Google]
keri_russell_2.jpg
103 KB, 768x1152
>>67540717
Not to mention she's an amazing actress, literally one of the best working today

Fucking loved her in Dark Skies
>>
>>67540884
That episode was intense as fuck. I find Philip easier to sympathise with but Elizabeth is a stone-cold badass and is a great example of a genuine 'strong' woman; not just physically tough, but resilient
>>
>>67540986
I don't think it was out of character. She reacted that way because they were torturing them them to find out if they had defected to the US. She's incredibly loyal to the KGB and was insulted that they'd even think that, much less kidnap her and her husband and subject them to mental and physical trauma. It's exactly how a scorned lover would react, especially one prone to violence.
>>
>>67540986
In context it was understandable; hadn't they basically been abducted and tortured with their kids at risk just for a mind-game from the centre?

Elizabeth serves two masters with a passion; mother Russia and her kids. No wonder she flipped out
>>
File: lowEST.jpg (112 KB, 932x1000) Image search: [Google]
lowEST.jpg
112 KB, 932x1000
I just can't wait for another character to fuck a honeypot this season and have everything RUINED. AGAIN.
t. Stan "Semen Demon" Beeman
>>
>>67541322
The jailbait Phil was with last season surely has to come into play now?

>tfw they get her to assert that Pastor Tim is a diddler
>>
>>67542063
oh SHIT. I completely forgot about that asset. Her dad was a DoD/DARPA whatsit and they blazed heavy doobies
>>
Left wing show that /pol/ babies won't like because they can't deal with the fact that the communists are the good guys
>>
>>67535958

i watched the first season, really good stuff just not my bag
>>
>>67542247
But they aren't the good guys; they're shown to be pretty bad people. Just last episode Phillip choked a guy to death for asking if the airline pilot was ok(which was his job). The show itself is neutral, but Phillip and Elizabeth are cold-blooded killers, it's what they do. They just happen to also love their kids, which isn't exactly uncommon.
>>
>>67542395
>but Phillip and Elizabeth are cold-blooded killers

Nyeeeeh I'd say thats pushing it. Especially Phillip, who pretty often shows how much he hates doing that shit.
He looks more dead inside every time.
>>
>>67535958
They shoehorned an interracial cuckold plotline into the show midway through the first season with the lead actress fucking no joke a black panther nigger.

Just saying...
>>
>>67543174
good lookin out

i was gonna download this, should have known /tv/ would be into cuckold shit
>>
>>67535958
It's aite.

I rage quit after the FBI guy breaks into their garage without a warrant when he has no real reason to suspect them.
>>
File: wuymlf.png (883 KB, 851x640) Image search: [Google]
wuymlf.png
883 KB, 851x640
>>67543174
Which was entirely used to show her early life in America making connections as a protester, while also showing the struggle over her lack of love for her husband (whom she ultimately chooses over the BBC).

And then BBC literally commits Dindu Suicide death by cops.
>>
>>67543174
>>67543214
She recruited a black dude as an agent for the KGB, and when it comes time to choose, she chooses her husband (who refuses to back down about wanting his wife to tell the dindu to fuck off), and the nig does his nogging and gets blasted by cops.

Pretty much the opposite of cuck shit.
>>
>>67543271
>>67543477
>It's totally OK guise, it was really necessary for the plot of the show
>>
>>67543525

You only focus on it because the guy is black, yet you'll ignore all the other men she sleeps with not to mention Philip sleeps with just as many women.

Fuck off.
>>
>>67543525
Nobody said that. You called it cuck shit, it was pointed out that it was the opposite. Nig gets passed over, then dies like a nog.

Plus they fuck people all the time to get information, it's like their main method of getting close to people. The guy you're saying got cucked has 2 wives and last season was fucking a 15 year old girl. You couldn't be more wrong. Seriously, the dude gets strange pussy constantly in the name of gathering intel, it's like you read about one small detail of a couple episodes and didn't bother to put it into context.

Phillip is a fucking ass-slaying pussy magnet, and if anybody gets in his way or threatens his wife, they die.
>>
The real cucking happens when the pastor is allowed to have some sort of close relationship with their daughter. Why would anyone let a grown man spend so much time with his/her daughter/son.
>>
>>67544299
this famile
>>
>>67543715
>The guy you're saying got cucked has 2 wives and last season was fucking a 15 year old girl.

welp, time to pick this up
>>
>>67544973
>and last season was fucking a 15 year old girl.

NOT YET, SOON THOUGH
>>
Incest in this show when?
>>
>>67545412
Never.
>>
>>67540777
There's never any nudity
>>
>>67546334
You mean no nips dicks or pussy..
>>
>>67535958
>Politically, is this a left or right wing leaning show

It's not leaning either side, interestingly. What they show is probably closer to what happened than any other cold war show/movie. Main quality tbqh
>>
>>
>>67546564
Am I the only one who just wants to hold and kiss her gently as she quietly cries because of her hard life?
>>
it's boring as fuck
>>
>>67546618
With qt 15yo Paige, yes
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.