[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PREACHER
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: Dominic-Preacher.jpg (1 MB, 1400x840) Image search: [Google]
Dominic-Preacher.jpg
1 MB, 1400x840
Just marathoned the first episode and it was complete and utter shit.
What went wrong?

>shit casting
>le quirky camera movements and editing
>convoluted plot
>departures from source material don't add anything and only made it worst
>three main characters are all bad ass hand to hand combat experts
>arseface dad cop was stripped of everything that made him interesting
many more really
>>
>>70193780
>Just marathoned the first episode
>marathoned
>a 50 minute episode
>>
>>70193780
It's your own fault for thinking this would be good.

That being said, Preacher is an interesting concept that was ruined by Edgelord Teenage Angst. It's like the True Detective of comics, so full of promise, so fucking awful in execution and utterly devoid of any substance.
>>
>>70193780
>what went wrong?

Seth Rogan
>>
>>70193883
I read the comic a while ago and really liked it, it was edgy alright but i wouldn't say it was devoid of substance. At least Ennis knows how to write.
>>
>>70193948
You ever read his Punisher: MAX series? That's probably Garth at his peak
>>
>>70193948
It's pretty good my man, read sandman and Swamp thing next.
>>70193780
Best casting they did was for Cassidy, sadly the preacher himself was underwhelming and although Tulip was black i didn't mind too much, Just wish they had have started the series properly.
Yeah i feel like it could have been better, the only good casting was cassedy
>>
>>70193780

So those two kikes Rogen and Goldberg fucked up another production?

Color me fucking shocked
>>
>>70193930
he's like the showrunner right? but didn't write the teleplay. I bet they had a lot of compromise to make with the network. He's shit annyway.

>>70194018
yeah i did, awesome work.
>>
>>70194096
Read sandman already and loved it, gonna check out swamp next, thanks for the rec.

I agree cassidy was good, i liked him a lot in misfits, even tho he was only for the worst part of the shot. Tulip really disappointed me too, and why they didn't follow the intro baffled me, it was so good and concise.
>>
>>70194124
Can't wait to see how badly they fuck up their adaptation of The Boys.
>>
>>70195326
hows the boys? is it worth the read?
>>
>>70193780
No way it was ever going to work, but it's an alright effort.

They should've just made a show about Cassidy tbqh.
>>
>>70194018
Holy shit, it's great.
>>
I like Dominic Cooper as preacher.
>>
File: 1396891646204.jpg (29 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1396891646204.jpg
29 KB, 400x300
>>70193780
>Just marathoned the first episode

>one episode
>marathoned

How dumb can one OP be?
>>
gilgun is literally the only reason to watch
>>
source material is overrated trash and this tv adaptation is better

look at the ratings

normies don't like it, that means its really good.

OP exposed as pleb normie trash
>>
>marathoned one episode

Are you one of those retards who can't go a full episode of something without taking a break to shitpost or something?
>>
File: 1452080524284.png (30 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
1452080524284.png
30 KB, 493x402
>>70193853
>>70196408
>>
>>70193780
I know nothing of the source material and thought the first episode was good, and I'm intrigued as to what is going to happen next
>/tv/ btfo
>>
I liked it.

Also, Joseph Gilgun as Cassidy is excellent casting.
>>
>>70195598
I'm a huge fan of it. I wasn't sure about it at first, it just came across as really immature tryhard edgy shit, but the way it all came together in the end made it worth it. Just a brilliant, ridiculously entertaining hate-letter to the entire cape comics industry.
>>
File: 1402129903402.jpg (72 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1402129903402.jpg
72 KB, 323x323
>>70193780
>marathoned

>>70193780
>first episode
>>
>>70193780
>convoluted plot
wait till it gets going

>three main characters are all bad ass hand to hand combat experts
jesse and tulip were trained growing up. cassidy is a hundred years old and has been fighting since he was a teen

>arseface dad cop was stripped of everything that made him interesting
you mean the complete ignorance and unabashed racism and total disdain for his son that he showed in four issues?
>>
>>70193780
>departures from source material don't add anything and only made it worst
This I cannot agree with. The comic is an ugly boring overrated shit stuck in the 90s. It's literally a bitter neckbeard fantasy.
At least the show tries to make an awful material that only dudebros and nostalgiafags like into something fun and interesting.

Unless you think comic Jesse, comic Tulip and the saints of killers are good characters?
>>
>>70197199
Hi Seth
>>
>>70197320
Pretty sure Rogen is a fan of the comic.
>>
>>70197107
>jesse and tulip were trained growing up
they had a tough childhood but not a formal training in martial arts or something comparable to what we saw on the saw. they seemed like ninjas or something. Tulip couldnt eve shoot a guy point blank in the comic.

>you mean the complete ignorance and unabashed racism and total disdain for his son that he showed in four issues?
exactly what i mean. that was great, it made him more of a rounded character and more believable.
>>
>>70196319
I agree, he was cool. I liked it. Hope it gets better. Gilgun was also alight.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 600x600
Just watched too.
Will never watch again and turned it off when the little boy said "where's ur boyfriend to protect u" and the girl says "women don't need no stupid men!"

DROPPED
>>
>>70197199
> a bitter neckbeard fantasy
what's wrong with that? what do you think we are? It would have been a breath of fresh air in this current PC tv climate.
>>
>>70197541
The comic is fedora-core.
The show looks like it cool be GOAT, if only for the cast and creativity of it all.
>>
File: weebey.gif (1 MB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
weebey.gif
1 MB, 288x288
>Dominic Cooper as Jesse, Ruth Negga as Tulip
>they play King Llane and Lady Taria Wrynn, respectively, in Warcraft
>>
>>70197629
still haven't explained what makes it good in your opinion. Care to share what you liked about it
>>
>>70197836
>old-school sci-fi instead of really biased and empty take on religion
>actual priest rather than a guy dressed like a priest because it's cool
>no endless expositions in bars and restaurants
>tulip isn't a useless blonde bimbo in plain cloth
>scenes and characters are tied together rather than just being an excuse for walls of text and violence towards a category of people the author doesn't like

"the list could go on"
>>
>>70198203
i can see some of your points even tho i don't agree with them.
>old school sci fi?
don't really get why you would say that.

>scenes and characters are tied together rather than just being an excuse for walls of text and violence towards a category of people the author doesn't like
i think its the same thing just that your own biases makes you agree with the authors hate.
take what this anon said for example >>70197433
>>
>>70198513
>take what this anon said for example >>70197433
Would you rather teach kids that they need someone in their lives for it to be fulfilled?
Nobody needs anyone but themselves. It's not a gender thing. The "stupid boy" line was obviously a joke made for a 10yo girl.

>don't really get why you would say that.
I think the intro for the episode and the teabag-eating "angel" make it pretty clear they're going kitch sci-fi rather than kitch paranormal.
They know Constantine failed because the Good vs Evil trope doesn't have much room for deep or even intelligent writing, especially in the post-9/11 world.
The sci-fi tone clearly shows they don't want Preacher to suck as much as its comic counterpart, rather than just being a senseless deviation.
>>
I'm only watching for gligun tbqhwu

>>70197433
It's almost comedic how forced it felt
>>
>>70198860
>I'm only watching for gligun
This desu

Can we talk about how good the fight choreography is?
>>
>>70198797
i get what your saying with the kitsch sci fi thing, and kinda agree, it feels a lot more lighthearted than the comic.

In regards to the other point we do need other people for our lives to be fulfilled, not many hermits around eh? idc what they teach, it's just that they deviated so much from the comic that it made it feel completely different, and at that stage you ask yourself why bother?
maybe they saw some potential, but they should have anticipated the righteous anger from fans of the original, who identified with the story.
>>
>>70196528
>all the reviews are saying it's good
>uses the word normie
>is one
>>
>>70193780
Puttin two jews in charge of a story about Catholics.
>>
>>70199199
>and at that stage you ask yourself why bother?
The fact that Tulip doesn't let a farmgirl think she needs a dick to be happy is character development. It shows she's chaotic good, basically.

>but they should have anticipated the righteous anger from fans of the original, who identified with the story.
I think real fans should be happy it's good, even though it's different. No point in a faithful adaptation of something so stuck in its era if only fans are going to like it.
It's more of a well-crafted 2016 take on the material than just a "bad adaptation".
>>
>>70199520
>show is called preacher
>hurr da jews don't understand catholicism
retard
>>
I marathoned your mom last night op.
>>
Preacher and Cassidy were GOAT.
>>
>>70195598
It's okay, but it really showcases how badly Ennis needs an editor. The beginning and end are great, but the middle just drags on for so long I wound up skipping a lot and not feeling like I really missed much. Plus there's the typical edgemaster stuff.
>>
>>70198921
>fight choreography
I dunno, that tulip scene had me feeling dizzy
I get that they're trying to be different but c'mon that was a bit much
>>
>>70199524
i just hope it introduces new people to the old material, and for that i am happy, the direction of where things are headed im not happy about but i guess well just to wait and see.

>>70199828
sounds neat, gonna check it out. I agree with Ennis needing an editor sometimes, and it's wierd because hes also pretty great at conveying a lot in a few pages. I guess meandering its not his thing.
>>
>>70200272
>tulip scene

Terrible. One of the shittiest post-2000 greenscreen I've ever seen.

>>70198921 means the part when Cassidy goes Bane on the plane though.
>>
>>70199621
If the show isn't a polemic against Christianity I'll buy a copy of every seth rogan dvd.
>>
>>70200598
>there's no difference between catholics and protestants
wew lad
>>
>>70200945
eat shit friend and don't be so obtuse. he is right about how it's going to be shit towards christianity.
>>
It was good. OP's an idiot. The sky is blue.
>>
>>70201259
>obtuse
go fuck yourself with a jesus dildo faggot
>>
The whole thing felt like it was written by a middle schooler who only read the back of Preacher: Gone to Texas. Sure, Tulip is a cool character, but what if she WERE A FUCKING SUPER ASSASSIN WITH A MYSTERIOUS BACKSTORY who used to date the main character AND BLOWS UP HELICOPTERS WITH GARBAGE WHILE WISECRACKING

Cassidy is awesome, right? SO LETS HAVE HIM KILL A BUNCH OF PEOPLE IN A PLANE AFTER DOING A TON OF DRUGS AND OH YEAH HE ALSO HAS A MYSTERIOUS BACKSTORY

I love all the plotlines in Preacher, SO LETS SHOVE ALL OF THEM INTO THE PREMIER BECAUSE WHO CARES, THIS DRECK WILL NEVER GET A SECOND SEASON

Give me a fucking break. Whoever made this shit saw From Dusk Till Dawn and decided to be the next Tarantino with none of the subtlety.
>>
>>70193780
>ywn make an impossible bazooka out soup cans with a mixed qt
>>
>>70203458
It's more entertaining that whatever the fuck the comic was about.
If your comic adaptation isn't a bit whacky you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>70199621
Jews literally killed Jesus cause they were jealous
>>
How the fuck do you marathon an episode?
>>
File: 1462846331656.png (276 KB, 504x492) Image search: [Google]
1462846331656.png
276 KB, 504x492
>>70204205
>if you comic adaption doesn't shit on the source material you're doing something wrong
>>
>>70200598
The comic series depicted God as a cowardly sociopath who needed to get assassinated in order for mankind to move forward. You dumbass sack of shit.
>>
>>70193780

Ruth Negga was consistently the worst part of Agents of Shield episodes she was in, which is actually kind of impressive given how bad Chloe Bennet was and how incredibly shit the Lincoln/Daisy stuff was in most of the episodes Negga was a part of.

She hasn't improved since then in Preacher. If anything, she's worse.

The rest didn't bother me so much. I couldn't even give a shit that they made Tulip black, the problem is they cast one of the worst actresses going around in that role.

Domenic Cooper and Irish Vampire Dude are busting their asses though.

Lucifer didn't win me over for a few episodes and we all know how rough the first few eps of Spartacus were. I'll give it a few more eps and try to ignore Tulip as much as possible.
>>
>>70197199
>Unless you think comic Jesse, comic Tulip and the saints of killers are good characters?

They are a lot better characters in comic than the pilot episode. They are flawed main characters in the comic and fucking smug ninjas on the pilot, how that is an improvement.
>>
>>70197199
>It's literally a bitter neckbeard fantasy.
Bitter about what?
>>
>>70204205
You the kind of nigga who thinks Better Call Saul is boring, huh.
>>
>>70196528
>look at the ratings

2 mill for a debut of a show that is expected to be the new The Walking dead for AMC is not good

With luck their rating for the rest of the seasson will be between 1 mill to 1.5 mill. Constantine ratings was 1.7 mill and went cancelled.
>>
>>70193780
is that young Howard Stark
>>
huge let down from source material but still a good 1st episode if taken as a new concept. Cassidy's actor is really good and so is dominic cooper as
>>
File: triggeringemulsifies.jpg (114 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
triggeringemulsifies.jpg
114 KB, 894x894
Tulip is a proud black woman who likes arts and crafts.
>>
>>70205769
Don't mind changing tulip one bit, it's just that the actress is really shit
>>
>>70205646
Better Call Saul IS boring.
>lame-ass sibling rivalry
>Mike storylines with no tension since neither he nor the people he cares about can die
>Kim starts her own law firm
Yeah fucking riveting.
>>
How will they adapt this?
There's so much fucked up things from the comics that I bet my ass on that they'll never touch.
fudge?
>>
>>70204573
>>>70193853
>>70196408
>>70196715
Come on anon's lets me honest, It's AMC that is a bit of a challenge to sit though as it is, pretending their premium television while still struggling to be anything more than glorified basic cable

Unless he got it through different means in which case what the fuck is wrong with you OP.
>>
>>70205878
There is some issues with their change. I mean, there is some arch where her background is important and now I really wondering how the fuck they will adapt her story to make it fit with her new character.
>>
>>70206014
>Better Call Saul IS boring
>slow is boring

What is Attention-Deficit Disorder?
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.