[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Studio Ghibli key animator Futaki dies at 58:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: spirited-away-1272x716.jpg (166 KB, 1272x716) Image search: [Google]
spirited-away-1272x716.jpg
166 KB, 1272x716
Makiko Futaki worked on Akira and Lupin III as well as every one of Miyazaki's works, including Princess Mononoke, My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.

http://www.easternkicks.com/news/in-memoriam-makiko-futaki-animator

AMD with examples of her animation work: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qvii9_makiko-futaki-%E4%BA%8C%E6%9C%A8%E7%9C%9F%E5%B8%8C%E5%AD%90-mad_shortfilms

I know we're often focused on directors and actors, but fuck, man, end of a fucking era. Press 'F' to pay respects.
>>
/a/
>>
>>70159696
Spirited Away won an Oscar, it's fucking /tv/
>>
literally who?
>>
>>70159779

/co/
>>
>>70159681
Damn. RIP
>>
It's a shame how little credit the animators behind the animated films get.
>>
58? That's really low for a country where everyone lives to like 100 years old.
>>
/fit/
>>
>>70159994
Everybody smokes in Japan. They have a pretty low life expectancy for a first world country.
>>
Another Ghibli guy worked to death? When will it end?

>>70159681
That clip of Ponyo chasing the car is fucking spectacular
>>
>>70159994
Probably work exhaustion, she was a reknowned perfectionist and Miyazaki's chosen successor died the same way after his first movie (Whisper Of The Heart). It was a big part of what influenced the autobiographical aspect of The Wind Rises, especially the comment about pyramids (which of course were built by back-breaking slave labour).
>>
>>70160077
Would you rather live in a world with pyramids, or a world without?
>>
>>70160077
You're on hand praising hard work while on the other criticizing it. What's it going to be?
>>
>>70160132
>>70160163
>admiring the final product =\= admiring abusive work ethics
You can do great work and have a life, you know
>>
>>70160296
Yes and then you get western animation which doesn't come close to what Studio Ghibli does. Hard work gives results. It's that simple.
>>
>>70160296
Can you, anon? Let's see you make an animated film on the level of Studio Ghibli. Or even take any kind of technical part in one.
>>
File: miyazaki.png (228 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
miyazaki.png
228 KB, 500x281
>>
>>70159681
F
>>
>>70159681
F
>>
Is this not going to get a sticky? I know crew don't normally get stickies but for such a key figure in the film output of an entire country measuring by cultural permanence and popularity (Akira? Spirited Away?) I think it's more than deserved.
>>
File: incredibles.jpg (78 KB, 640x497) Image search: [Google]
incredibles.jpg
78 KB, 640x497
>>70160387
>>70160392
Sappy narratives aside, Pixar was producing technical wonders ten years ago and was one of the most sought after companies to work for
>>
F
>>
>>70160455
That documentary was so fucking comfy.
>>
File: miyazaki2.png (277 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
miyazaki2.png
277 KB, 540x304
>>70160455
>>
>/a/ doesn't care
Of course, too busy pretending that animated drawling are their girlfriends and talking about high quality patrician anime that has compelling plots and no fan service.
>>
>>70160673
CGI doesn't really compare to hand-drawn in work flow. CGI is easier to work with for big studios which is why western corporations so quickly threw away hand-drawn in favor of CGI. Hand-drawn animation requires time and talent. Which is unfortunately why it's dying.
>>
wow.. 58?!
live hard play hard die young
>>
>>70160937
still love the older movies using cell painting. the movements are fluid and colors are brilliant, compare new Disney films to the old classics.. no contest

Lost another great artist and story teller, not just a film maker, very sad
>>
>>70160937
Heres something for you, it goes farther than production cost and time constraints by studios
>in art colleges it is common place to have students only learn CGI for animation just to meet their brief requirements
>alot of these students have no idea how to draw and rely entirely on the CG software to produce assets
>the ones that could draw and were animating were taking so long with their briefs that they would ultimately have their grades suffer. So this leads to these students opting for CGI work rather than traditional hand drawn animation or even animation made using computer software to draw because it takes too long
>2d animation is coming to rely more on "tweening" than actually drawing animation because its quicker and easier to get right, something that would take days to animate traditionally takes minutes with tweening. The effects of this are seen in modern cartoons and their stylistic looks, they all appear to look flat, with copy paste details, this is because they are literally copy and pasting the details and using software to move and switch between them, not actually drawing them
>the result is that fluid animation that looks natural and actually has a feeling of motion is flat out dead, noone is learning to do it and studios arent willing to spend time working with it
Standards in art appear to be going backwards as time progresses.
>>
>>70160937
Zootopia is gorgeous.
>>
>>70160937
The real reason hand drawn is dying is because of the stigma of "animations are for children" so studios arent going to give an arm and a leg to make them happen when alot of people will flat out not watch it on the grounds that its animated, despite the subject matter, kids dont give a fuck if its hand drawn or CGI, so naturally, to appeal to the market that will generate returns, they take they easiest and most efficient route.

I know several people that wouldnt see Anomalisa because they heard it was animated. Also recall a conversation with people I use to work with and someone brought up "have you seen Ghost in the Shell?", and someone else remarked "I dont watch cartoons". People really do think animation is a kids thing, and theres no point in putting effort into something that only adults would appreciate but not see.
>>
>>70160070
>low life expectancy
>Okinawans are the longest living people on Earth
Ayyyylmao
>>
>>70159681
Rest in peace
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.