[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: X-Files season 1 discussion, favorite/least favorite episodes,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 250px-The_X-Files_Season_1.jpg (25 KB, 250x378) Image search: [Google]
250px-The_X-Files_Season_1.jpg
25 KB, 250x378
ITT: X-Files season 1 discussion, favorite/least favorite episodes, theories, etc.
>>
>that jersey devil episode

fuck, what a wasted opportunity.
>>
>>70144496
So shitty, I got excited when the sheriff was starting to be on Mulder's side but it went nowhere and the episode turned out to be almost comically bad.
>>
File: pilot02.jpg (47 KB, 710x534) Image search: [Google]
pilot02.jpg
47 KB, 710x534
>>70144270
Assistant Director Skinner, I'm Federal Agent
>>
>>70144270
S1 was pretty rough apart from Squeeze, Ice, Beyond the Sea and Darkness Falls.
>>
>>70145327
We're not alone
>>
>>70145452
Uh... you didn't bring evidence.
>>
Darkness Falls is a GOAT comfy MOTW episode.
>>
>>70145612
They were trying to abduct your prize
>>
Gonna start watching soon

Are there any absolute dud seasons or anything I should skip

I usually don't do it but I've heard some bad shit about some seasons

also wasn't there a guide to Xfiles episodes
>>
>>70145883
I'm a little bit into Season 2 and I'm cautiously enjoying it, there were bits in this episode called The Host (which is regarded as one of the best) that were legitimate nonsense but it pulled through in the end.
>>
>>70146011
>there were bits in this episode called The Host (which is regarded as one of the best)
The Host is by no means one of the best episodes. It's just one of the creepiest.
>>70145883
Season one has aged pretty badly. Nevertheless, it has some great episodes and the show just gets better from there.
>>
top 5/bottom 5 Season 1 episodes

1. Ice
2. Eve
3. Darkness Falls
4. Squeeze
5. Lazarus
bottom
1. Space
2. The Jersey Devil
3. Roland
4. E.B.E
5. Gender Bender
>>
>>70145883
>>70146011
Alright, I'm going to tell you how this is going to go, because I just went through this whole journey myself

>Season 1
Great, very shaky, but it has heart
>Season 2
Much better overall. It's easy to see how this show got the cult status it got
>Season 3
Best season. Easily some of the best hours of television of all time. Shit is amazing. Has the single best episode of the show, ever.
>Season 4
The OTHER best season. The budget has improved massively, and it shows. The mytharc episodes really start to come into their own, and a cohesive story starts to form
>Season 5
More of the same, but when you're on this level,that's not a bad thing at all. Two of the best mytharc episodes ever, and the season finale is legitimately jaw-dropping
>The Movie
Jesus Christ what a fucking train wreck. It's bad. You won't believe me how bad this is, but man, it's bad. It took me three months to "recover" and start watching the show again.
>Season 6
Some great episodes, but you can really feel it start getting long in the tooth.
>Season 7
Like, two good episodes. Lots of meh. They try taking the show in a much more cerebral, eraserhead-esque direction, and they fail at it miserably. They try to give the show a difinitive ending (this was supposed to be the last season) and they fail at THAT, too.
>Season 8 onward
Just stop. The actors don't care anymore, the writers CERTAINLY don't care anymore, the MOTW episodes are rote and predictable, the mytharc episodes have long-since stopped making any kind of sense at all. There's really no point in watching the show at all, at this point. One or two moments of brilliance just aren't worth wading through 22 hours of bullshit to get to.

>2009 movie
Nope.

>2016 revival
Actually, surprisingly, not terrible! Nowhere near the show's original heights, but it's made with a genuine passion for the show, which can't be said of the last couple seasons. Nothing hugely special, but worth watching
>>
>>70146496
The first film is pretty good t b h. Felt like a feature-length episode of the show, and that's exactly what I was looking for from it.
>>
File: 1443898627922.png (141 KB, 570x305) Image search: [Google]
1443898627922.png
141 KB, 570x305
>>70145883
Watch everything up to season 5 and the first movie, then a bit further and see if you'e still enjoying it. Skip to the meme episodes of 6 and 7 if you don't, and just forget about the rest.

Pay no attention to that guide pic that gets posted around here, it's shit.

>>70146011
>legitimate nonsense

Consider stopping it now m8, this might not be the show for you.

>>70146304
Never understood the Ice is best meme, it's just a shittier version of Who Goes There?/The Thing. The Disclaimer (pic related) at the beginning of the pilot is such a cool promise, but a lot of early MOTWs were just obvious rip-off of classic horror flicks.

>>70146652
I think the first half is really enjoyable, but once we get to Antarctica it's just a boring-ass tour on that expensive set they're showing off. It's like they actually wrote this plot with regular episode screentime in mind.
>>
>>70146652
Oh god that's a sore spot for me. I could go off on this for a while.

But no, no it doesn't feel like an episode of the show, at least, not in a good way.

The movie is weirdly formless and structureless. The characters have no real motivation, there's no "bouncing ball" of the plot to follow, the badguy's strategy makes no sense at all, and it manages to not feel at all like an episode of X-Files, while at the same time pulling off literally every single mytharc cliche it could.

It's just bad.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.