[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pure, undiluted capekino coming through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 5
File: 5150_slip.jpg (1 MB, 1604x2026) Image search: [Google]
5150_slip.jpg
1 MB, 1604x2026
Pure, undiluted capekino coming through
>>
True. Who /Rorschach/ here?
>>
>>70111234
All capeshit is crap and an insult to actual film. Kill yourself you fucking faggot.
>>
any quality the watchmen movie had was attributable to the source material. The bits sndyer added/modified only served as detriment to the whole.
>>
>>70111302
This.
/thread
>>
File: Fedora.jpg (32 KB, 466x382) Image search: [Google]
Fedora.jpg
32 KB, 466x382
>>70111272
>>
File: 1bFcg3Y.jpg (53 KB, 1278x709) Image search: [Google]
1bFcg3Y.jpg
53 KB, 1278x709
>>70111302
>>70111302
>>
File: tips.gif (3 MB, 300x212) Image search: [Google]
tips.gif
3 MB, 300x212
>>70111272
t. butthurt marvel fan
>>
>>70111302
I actually think that ditching the ayylmaos bit in favor of blaming Doc Manhattan was a good call
>>
>>70111706
No you don't.
>>
>>70111234
ye
>>
>>70111234
Not enough Batman/10
>>
File: 1464061550967.jpg (72 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1464061550967.jpg
72 KB, 323x323
>>70113940
>>
>>70113766
I do. Even in the GN, it came off as a desperate eleventh hour inspiration on Moore's part to explain why other countries would give a shit if the U.S. alone was "attacked" by aliens with zero proof outside of a weird squid monster. Hell, the Soviets would have been itching to lay the blame on the "capitalist" Veidt's extradimensional energy research company.
>>
>>70116099
>Eleventh hour inspiration
>Gets hinted at in chapter III
>Is shown in a drawing in chapter VI
>>
>>70116185
What does? Psychics existing? The first I caught wind of it was in the "Missing Geniuses" article from the newspaper article. What was his name - Robert Deschain or something like that?
>>
>>70111272
Sup Alan moore how u doing
>>
>>70111234
for the most part, snyder added visual detail but lost the detailed ideas and subtext of the comic.

>>70111706
probably was a good decision. then again, the world would blame the US seeing as a god created in a US military lab destroyed all major cities
>>
>>70117632
My main problem is that for nations to have acquiesced to having Manhattan powered generators in their countries, they'd have to concede to a certain amount of American sovereignty over the planet. That's the exact opposite of what the Cold War embodied and is VERY important to the original work.
>>
>>70116099
>I haven't read the comic

Here comes the airplaine, open wide.

The squid was also psychic, programmed with the manufactured memories of it's homeworld and how it hated the humanses. Everyone on the planet knew, beyond all doubt, that it was an alien threat from another dimension. As to argue otherwise would mean saying their memories were wrong.
>>
>>70117853
Oh, I've read it. I'm also >>70116308.

The issue I had with the psychic squid is that Moore kept the door shut on superhuman abilities pretty hard to just introduce psychics as late in the game as he did.
>>
>>70117896
>Moore kept the door shut on superhuman abilities pretty hard
... doctor manhattan... literally god...
>>
>>70118018
Literally the only superhuman for the overwhelming majority of the GN, and that's all I'm saying.
>>
>>70118072
but you do realize that ozy needs a an island full of psychics to program the squid, right?
>>
>>70118203
All I'm saying is that we spend the majority of the GN getting hammered with:

>Manhattan - only legitimate superhuman
>Ozymandias - pretty much as good as it gets outside of Manhattan
>There are no people with powers of any sort besides Manhattan - just masked vigilantes
>literally none
>oh, except all these psychics

It's like he realized pretty late in the game that the only way to make his squid convincing was to make a backdoor allowance for legitimate psychic/telepathic ability, yet none of those people chose to "use their powers for good."

The only possible exception was Mothman, but he was far too crazy for us to be able to make that judgement with any real confidence.
>>
>>70118333
So did you get an abridged version where molloch was edited out?
>>
>>70118531
more likely he just watched the movie and thinks the squid was the only real change.
>>
The ultimate cut is way better.
>inb4 muh pacing
If you can't deal with five minutes at a time at the most edited in between scenes, so you can see the TFTBF then you are ADD and I don't know how you can sit down and watch watchmen in the first place.
>>
>>70118531
Nah, Moloch was in there, freaky elf ears and all. Did I miss where they referred to him as legitimately psychic? It's been a long time since I read it and I don't remember it ever being mentioned.
>>
>>70118623
>Did I miss where they referred to him as legitimately psychic?

Yep.
>>
>>70118639
About what point? I just remember him having a stage magician kind of shtick while he was active.
>>
>>70118662
>a stage magician kind of shtick
Mentalist.
>>
>>70116099
>Hell, the Soviets would have been itching to lay the blame on the "capitalist" Veidt's extradimensional energy research company.
How much more likely is it that the Soviets would blame America for what Veidt did in the comics, than it is that they'd blame America for what Dr Manhattan did in the movie?
>>
Capekino is an oxymoron
>>
>>70118788
Depends on how you define it.
Nothing stops a film maker from making a better Hollywoodland.
>>
>>70118773
That's my point. Either one involves a suspension of disbelief. I don't think one's necessarily all that weightier than the other, and having just read Moloch's wikpage on the Watchmen wikia, I'm leaning toward my initial recollection of Robert Deschaines having been the first mention of psychic ability being on the table.
>>
>>70118773
blame would be moot, as everyone on the planet knew beyond all doubt the squid monsters were coming.
>>
>>70118880
So you're building your argument that psychics came from nowhere in watchmen by removing watchmen from the time in which it was written.

Cool.
>>
>>70118852
So far it is at least, watchmen has probably came closest though
>>
>>70118900
Yeah, part of why I pointed it out.

>>70118880
The problem is, that there is a lot more to blaming America for Dr Manhattan, than blaming America for getting the attention of space squids.

Space squids are like a force of nature to the world when they are encountered. It doesn't matter if America is to blame. Point is, humanity needs to concentrate on the threat of Space squids, any grudges and blames are second to it.

Dr. Mahatten however is an intelligent being.
When he does something, it is for a reason.

When he starts blowing up shit, you can actually ask yourself "Why is he doing this?" and "What can we do to appease his rage?"

Let's look at his recent track record! Got attacked publically by capitalist american media, antagonized beyond all reason, and he seems eager to take revenge by taking human lives.

Putting this together, it could be argued that Dr. Manhattan is pissed off at the people who antagonized him and that's why he attacked the world.
You also can't do anything against him, so gearing up to "fight god" is pointless. What is left there for you to do then?
Take out America, since clearly if there was anyone that pissed Manhattan off, they live there, and maybe that will calm him down.

Now of course this isn't a neccessary conclusion, but it's a much more "reasonable" conclusion than continuing to bomb half of the world's military, when a threat which doesn't care about your differences could steam-roll you in the foreseeable future.
>>
>>70118940
The Amazing Randy's challenge went unclaimed through the 80s too, anon. Sure, that doesn't stop some people from believing in them. It just doesn't make them real.

And just to clarify, I'm not trying to claim that either the movie's choice or Moore's choice were deal-breakers for me - just that both require a different type of disbelief-suspension.
>>
>>70119036
Didn't the newscasts in the movie already have a "our nuclear god is angry because we kids aren't playing nice" spin to them when Ozy hit the remote?
>>
>>70119108
Well that's one way to spin the story.

Wouldn't people question though why the god who is against nuclear warfare, would then go on to enact nuclear warfare on the entire planet?

How long until people question if that was the reason, if Dr Manhattan disappears into the wild green yonder?
>>
>>70119036
You're implying a lot more thought than would actually happen if cities were destroyed in a fashion unmistakable for "AMERICAN SUPER WEAPON." The USSR would assume america was striking first, the US would assume manhattan had defected and the USSR was striking first, and every nuke that could be launched would be launched. For manhattan was also established as an anti-missile defense, so both sides would be trying to flood out his capacity to disable nukes.

So, yea, movie's ending was stupid.
>>
>>70119040
Randi was almost a complete non-entity in the 80s. You only know he exists because of that netflix documentary that came out recently.

Yuri Gellar, though, everyone knew that nigga was psychic. Hell, that bit where they were trying to test for psychic ability under controlled circumstances, failed, then the guys went in later and bent all the spoons when no one was looking/monitoring was spun as absolute proof of psychic abilities.

As far as anyone was concerned in the 80s, psychics were real.
>>
>>70119168
Given Rorschach's journal, how long was it going to be regardless?

>>70119188
Except the way it's presented in the film, the devastation is pretty clearly not from any sort of conventional weapon. As near as I could tell, there was little to no radiation besides what everyone already recognized as Manhattan's own energy signature. He certainly did.
>>
>>70119253
Manhattan was america's superweapon in the comics and movie, yo. Both sides had full knowledge of his capabilities.
>>
>>70111397
>>70111467
Back to /v/
>>
>>70119249
I was alive in the 80s. I knew who he was. He made all the talk show rounds and appeared on several different variety shows. His feud with Uri Gellar was tabloid fodder for years.
>>
>>70119253
>Rorschach's journal
He sent it to quite possibly the worst place he could. Which was simultaneously the only place that even might print it.

So... forever in either case. For even if the shitty rag did print it, no one would take the shitty rag seriously.
>>
>>70119328
That's a good point. By the same token, though, look at the Moon hoax conspiracy theorists.

No, on second thought, please don't.
>>
>>70119287
>I was alive during the 80s
>direct quote from the recent randi documentary

>>
garbage film trying to rip off the dark knight... trash/10
>>
>>70119367
Born in 1971. Insomniac and fanatical late-night shitposter.
>>
Mr 376 that was some rotten b8
You don't even get a (you)
>>
>>70119376
>comic book older than the first batman movie in that trilogy
>was being worked on before TDK came out
>only thing even remotely similar is the fact there are vigilantes even though they have COMPLETELY different morals than batman
>ripping off the dark knight
You are a special kind of stupid.
>>
>>70119457
well, to be fair, the only reason the watchmen movie entered serious production is because TDK did well and wasn't completely mindless dross.

Of course they handed it to zack snyder, so the result was mindless dross.
>>
>>70119520
Something opening up the door for something else doesn't mean that thing is copying the other. For example deadpool opened up the door for R rated old man Logan, but it is most certainly not copying deadpool.
>>
>>70119571
It does if you understand how hollywood works.
>>
>it's a "play 99 luftballoons super loudly while two characters stare at each other awkwardly" episode

>lets use a 5 dollar nixon makeup kit for this extremely expensive movie

>HAALLEEELUJJAAHHH
>>
>>70119588
So you're saying that old man Logan is copying deadpool? You're literally too stupid to argue with. Yes deadpool opened the door for more R rated capeshit, but every one to ever come out from here on out is not copying deadpool. Although I am certain there will be a couple deadpool clones in the next few years.
>>
what's even the message of this film when the ends hints that it's back to normal in a week anyways
>>
>Absolute garbage coming through*
FTFY
>>
>>70121420
The point of the GN was that if superheroes existed in the real world they would be deeply flawed and fucked up people. Batman would be a cold blooded killer (Rorschach), superman wouldn't give a fuck about humanity (Doctor Manhattan), Captain America would have been killed for being such a Boy Scout (the dude in the beginning that got killed in the obvious Captain America rip off suit). But Hack Snyder missed the point entirely, so I don't know what the point of the movie was.
>>
>>70119662
So you admit x is the reason y happened, but you're blocking yourself from realizing x is the reason y happened.

Cool.
>>
>>70121716
x opened the door for y to happen. y needed to be rated R in the first place. No it probably wouldn't have happened if deadpool wasn't as successful, because studios are pussies about R rated comic book movies. But the comic has been around for longer than the deadpool movie has so no, it is not copying it. How fucking retarded do you have to be to not get this?
>>
>>70121839
Your argument would only be sound if the production was in progress and planned as X before Y.

It's not like there's a little progress bar next to every ip that isn't a movie yet that makes it into a movie when filled.

What usually happens is when someone else takes a risk and is successful, others start scrambling for a similar IP to adapt in the same way.

Its like if one asshole wears a new shirt he just bought and then it rains money on him. Then another asshole buys a similar, older shirt from a thrift store and wears it in hopes of it raining money on him. Just because the second asshole's shirt is older doesn't mean he isn't copying the first asshole.
>>
>>70122094
You are genuinely retarded if you think wolverine 3 wasn't greenlit before deadpool came out, and if it was greenlit that means they already knew what story they were going to adapt. They don't get to work on shit without at the very least a basic outline of what they're doing. The only thing deadpool did was give fox the confidence to make it rated R. You are literally too stupid to argue with.
>>
>>70122301
and then deadpool was reasonably successful with an R rating, so huge jackedman changed into the R shirt.

Unless you're talking about something completely different, in which case, you went into a complete non-sequitur and you can feel superior in tricking someone to follow you.
>>
>>70122384
You are as fucking stupid as someone can be. Wolverine has always needed to be rated R, the fact that they've managed to actually do him some justice with PG13 is fucking mind blowing. But people have been talking about how he needs to be rated R for years, it's not copying just because they finally decided to do it. It's actually very fitting because it's for his last movie. I'm abandoning this thread, I'm not replying to any more bait.
>>
>>70122556
and the people with money, who actually matter, were never willing to give wolvy his R-shirt until deadpool pranced about in his R-shirt.
>>
>>70122556
>tfw when called stupid by someone trying to claim ANY of the solo-wolverine movies were good
>>
>>70122821
Never said the solo movies were good, I said that I was surprised they did wolverine some justice as PG13, which they did, in the X-men movies, not the solos. Even though the unrated cut of the wolverine was decent, it still wasn't great.
>>
>>70122556
its interesting how resistant you are to the idea there is more than one person making the new wolverine movie.
>>
the new ending that Snyder has added to Tails of the Black Freighter in ultimate cut ws a good foreshadowing of how much he'll fuck up DCEU
>>
>>70123889
What was the new ending?
>>
>>70111302
No?
Original comic looked terrible, same as most comics. Snyder made something good out of shitty source material.
>>
>yfw capeshitters ruined the kino meme
>>
>>70111302
>adapting a masterpiece is somehow not commendable

Because Moore framed every shot, directed every actor in the comic right?

Dumbass!
>>
>>70126696
I hope you pile on the same praise for Sin City
>>
>>70126581
Kill yourself fucking pleb
You know jack shit about composition, and it shows.
>>
>>70116337
underrated post
>>
>>70111234
I want to like this movie
I really want to

I think it merely holds a candle to the source material

I don't want to be that guy.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.