[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that Hollywood always releases two of the same mov
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: civilwar.jpg (3 MB, 2560x2944) Image search: [Google]
civilwar.jpg
3 MB, 2560x2944
Why is it that Hollywood always releases two of the same movie a year
2 volcano movies
2 asteroid movies
2 mall cop movies
2 dueling magician movies
2 talking pig movies
2 CGI bug movies
2 white house takeover movies
2 snow white movies
2 Truman Capote movies
Now two civil war movies
www.ew.com/article/2016/05/02/men-go-to-battle-trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_38WdArR20
>>
>>70102314
>2 volcano movies
>2 asteroid movies
want ;_;
>>
>>70102314
My favourite kids movie was an antz life
>>
>>70102343
idiot
>>
>>70102314
I just always assumed it was studios competing with each other? One studio gets wind of "asteroid movie coming out in 199x" by another studio so they decide fuck that we can make one quicker and better, and then try to shove theirs out first so it looks like the other studio s ripping THEM off.
>>
>>70102314
>why do Coke and Pepsi exist?
>why do Republicans and Democrats exist?
there are different studios in Hollywood and they are too unoriginal to come up with their own shit so they copy another movie
>>
>>70102314

one is high budget high profile

the second is trying to capitalize on the first ones buzz at less promotion and productions costs

it's a rip-off
>>
>>70102314
>period movie
>No Paul Dano
>>
2 alien invasion movies

mars attacks and independence day came out in 1996
>>
1989 had like a billion underwater movies
>>
Studio A makes a movie regarding XYZ. Trade papers figure it will be a good success.

Studio B hears about it. Figures they can make money just by shitting out a cheaper movie based on riding on coattails.

It's why it's particularly common among childrens cartoons. There are people who are having watercooler conversations like "Hey Jim, took my kid to the talking fish cartoon, and it shut them up for two hours. Oh yeah, Bill, that sounds good, guess I'll take my kid to the talking fish thing too." So then even months or years after Finding Nemo came out, Jim takes is kid to the movie where Will Smith plays a talking fish.

And those incredibly bad direct-to-DVD cartoon knock offs like "How to Ratatwang Your Panda" work on the same principal.
>>
>>70102314
This is an old conversation that has been going around since Antz and a Bug's Life
>>
2015 had 2 snow Westerns
>>
>>70102736
>Tarantula
What was the other one?
>>
>>70102761
Revenant
>>
>>70102314
Add to that:
2 Wyatt Earp Movies
2 Capeshit-Infighting movies
>>
>>70102314
Competing studios. They watch each other and copy each other.
>>
we are also getting two jungle books

there are 2 competing pinocchio adaptations that aren't backing down

there are 2 or 3 janis joplin biopics being shopped around.

endless number of examples of the bankruptcy of hollywood "creatives"
>>
>>70102769
Fuck i'm tired
>>
>>70102314
>Traitorous northern apologists: the movie

Scum, the lot of them.
>>
>>70102836
t. cuck
>>
>>70102314
Why?? WHY?!? I'll tell you why you stupid mother fucker. It's because your mother is a fucking cunt!
>>
>>70102905
edgy
>>
File: 1460536270870.jpg (10 KB, 183x200) Image search: [Google]
1460536270870.jpg
10 KB, 183x200
>>70102905
>>
Captain America: Civil war and Batman v Superman had an obvious amount of this:

>cold open of wealthy hero's "origins"(Stark assasination and Death of the waynes)
>opening scene taking place in Africa
>superheroics go wrong calling the ethics of having unregulated superheroes in question
>wealthy hero tries to keep iconic role model hero in check
>unassuming, timid looking villain conspires to pit both heroes against each other
>wealthy hero discovers the existence of another, game changing hero
>A foreign-born hero that is royalty from an obscure country that avoids the outside world for the most part becomes signifigant
>final act fight scene hinges on a character's mother/ origin cold open from the beginning
>>
File: 1463940540360.jpg (34 KB, 338x305) Image search: [Google]
1463940540360.jpg
34 KB, 338x305
>confederates are the 'bad guys'
>>
>>70102423
As an animated Film director, I had to study what you are saying and is tru, at least, for animated movies.
A BugĀ“s life/Antz
Finding Nemo/Shark tale
Road to El Dorado/Treasure Planet

You can go all day. Personally, I like companies competition, that has 0 damage to the public, and 100% reward, as you have double to see and can pick between them.
>>
>>70102423
Yes. Some companies basically live like this.
After a script gets passed around, one of the big studios will start making it.
Then a smaller studio will buy/commission a script on a similar subject, make a cheaper film, beat the big studio to market and ride on a hype wave they didn't pay for.

t. a guy that watched that Canon documentary.
>>
>>70102686
It's a lot older than that.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.