[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How Captain America Beat Batman and Superman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: civil.jpg (125 KB, 2000x1111) Image search: [Google]
civil.jpg
125 KB, 2000x1111
>On paper, this season’s big superhero action films — “Captain America: Civil War” and “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” — from the rival studios Disney and Warner Bros. could almost be the same movie, so similar are their plots, action sequences and allusions to heavyweight themes of topical interest.

>Still, “Batman v Superman” would seem to have the edge where it really matters to the studios, which is at the box office. It opened first (on March 25). It had the two most valuable intellectual properties in the comic book universe, appearing together in starring roles. And it had enough A-list Hollywood talent to fill a multiplex.

>Yet the results are in, and it’s not even close. The theatrical run of “Batman v Superman” is all but over, with a worldwide box office gross of $871 million. “Captain America” has surged past $1 billion in just three weeks.

>Warner insists its film will earn a profit. But given that the studio gets only about half the box-office gross, any profit margin will be slim after deducting the film’s enormous production and marketing costs. And that has to be a disappointment considering what the studio must have expected. (Marvel’s “Avengers” topped $1.5 billion in 2012.)

>More worrisome for Warner and its parent, Time Warner Inc., is that “Batman v Superman” was supposed to reboot the entire DC Comics universe and create a multibillion-dollar superhero franchise to rival Marvel’s. Now that’s in question.

>“This is a significant misstep for the DC brand,” said Doug Creutz, senior media and entertainment analyst for Cowen & Company. “They’ve damaged their credibility with their audience. I’m not saying they can’t recover, but their next few movies had better be really good.
>>
>>70099832
>>70099831

we get it marvel, you hate dc
>>
>>70099832
>At one level, the explanation for the outcome is simple: “Captain America” is a much better movie. After a marathon of superhero moviegoing in Times Square this week, I can attest to that.

>But you don’t need to take my word for it, or that of the established critics who praised “Captain America” and panned “Batman v Superman.” After a big opening weekend, attendance at “Batman v Superman” plunged, suggesting bad word of mouth. On the website Rotten Tomatoes, 91 percent of the audience said they liked “Captain America.” Just 67 percent liked “Batman v Superman.”

>The starkly different outcomes show how difficult it is to make a successful blockbuster, even for a studio with an enviable track record like Warner Bros. (“Harry Potter,” “Lord of the Rings”). Sony faltered with its latest Spider-Man installment and forged a partnership with Marvel allowing its superhero to return to the Marvel fold. Fox has at times struggled with its X-Men franchise.

>But whatever secret code of art and science produces a superhero blockbuster, Disney seems to have cracked it. “Captain America” is the 13th consecutive successful installment in the Marvel film universe. After buying Marvel for $4 billion, Disney has turned even obscure comic book characters into box-office bonanzas (“Ant-Man”), and it has managed to combine them in unexpected yet captivating ways.
>>
Haven't watched either of them and ain't gonna fund them
>>
>>70099877

Well, that's the New York Times. Not Marvel.
>>
>>70099877
Yep.
>2 months
>OP is still mad.

>>70081214
>>
File: 1463479560293.jpg (383 KB, 1594x666) Image search: [Google]
1463479560293.jpg
383 KB, 1594x666
>>70099935
SJW Times
>>70081845
>Marvel nu-males hate Snyder

I'm not surprised. After all, their idols are Peyton Reed and Joss Whedon.

Seeing an alpha male like Zack Snyder causes them to remember how they were bullied by an alpha male and uncomfortable and lash out the only way they know how -impotently typing out hateful words on a Japanese jpeg board. Some, like Ant-Man director Peyton Reed when shown a statement from a capeflick rumor monger saying "DC directors can physically beat up Marvel directors," choose to withdraw into safe spaces instead. It's little wonder why /tv/ connects with Marvel more.

Snyder directs in sweatpants and Under Armour wristbands.

If that's not badass I don't know what is. Nerds can't stand that an alpha auteur is in control of their products, and he's elevating them to heights their puny brains can't comprehend. They can't stand that someone who appears on the outside as a manchild with a comic book fetish, is pushing the medium further than they thought possible.

Snyder, Affleck, and Cavill get the bitches and gays all juicy. They are just ripe with raw sexual energy. This offends the virginal fanboi. MoS and BvS deal with emotional issues and belief systems in a mature way. This doubly offends the fanboi, who is stuck in perpetual adolescence. They can't process or register mature emotions. And people hate what they don't understand.
>>
So why is Batman v Superman bad again?
>>
>>70100068
All that copy pasta and they still can't make a coherent story. Does a lot of good to be buff if all you do with it is make a crossfit comercial with Batman
>>
>>70099832
Delete this crap!
>>
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is quietly a little disappointed with Civil War's performance. I think they quietly were hoping for an Ultron-esque performer, and it hints that the MCU has peaked.

I mean, yes, it still made a shitload of money, but still.
>>
>>70099886
>After a big opening weekend, attendance at “Batman v Superman” plunged, suggesting bad word of mouth.

No way man /tv/ and leddit told me the movie bombed cause Disney paid off Rottentomatoes
>>
File: 1464367656901.jpg (169 KB, 720x1216) Image search: [Google]
1464367656901.jpg
169 KB, 720x1216
I passionately hate BvS for ruining my waifu.
>>
>>70100068

Just because you want to have sex with Snyder doesn't make him a good director. Your post reads like a tumblrina's slashfic, ffs.
>>
Anyone else thinks Marvel is being really agressive towards DC right now?

>Russos admitted that they made CW after BvS was released
>DC announcing rebirth - Marvel does HydraCap

they letting them no air to breathe
>>
File: 1GKMiFy.gif (2 MB, 431x264) Image search: [Google]
1GKMiFy.gif
2 MB, 431x264
>>70101007

It's called good business.
I'm amazed how HydraCap sucked all the air out of Rebirth.

2 words ended any hype from DC.
>>
File: 1463080734105[1].jpg (448 KB, 860x660) Image search: [Google]
1463080734105[1].jpg
448 KB, 860x660
>>70100935
The Marvel Studios fandom is full of generic cunts who try to seem quirky and unique by identifying heavily with a slightly offbeat fandom such as the Marvel Cinematic Universe "But wait, that's actually incredibly mainstream and not offbeat at all!" you say. And you're right. But actual offbeat things don't give as much 'nerd' cred, and these things have more creative value than reality TV so people on Tumblr can make posts such as "Why are all girls nowadays such idiots who watch Jersey Shore? I'm very unique because I like nerdy intelligent stuff like Iron Man 3, and I like quirky men like Tom Hiddleston and Mark Ruffalo teehee, look at this repeating gif of 0.5 seconds of Loki doing a thing with his face and a theory about how all the Marvel movies are connected and Thanos is going to collect all the Infinity Gems except in the movies none of them are really "gems" at all and here is some fanart of all the Avengers gender swapped and with less sexist costumes and they all have the exact same fucking face with that bulbous red nose also did you know that I am a girl who likes superheroes I know it's hard to believe but it is true I AM AN AVENGERS look at this gif of Tony Stark raising his eyebrow, anyway The Avengers is sexist because Black Widow's costume is too tight and unrealistic for a special agent so here is a redesign of her in figure hiding combat fatigues because I am progressive. Does anyone else think that Hulk and Iron Man would make a good couple? TEE HEE I LOVE GAYS BECAUSE I AM SO TOTALLY NOT HOMOPHOBIC EVEN THOUGH I TREAT GAYS AS AN AMUSING NOVELTY Rocket Racoon for president!"
>>
>>70100831
Did she have a legitimate purpose in the plot of the movie other than fighting Doomsday?
>>
>>70101397
She was there to set up the justice league, yea. But not really actual purpose.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.