[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you like Warcraft you will like the movie. I think the two
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 12
File: warcraft.jpg (131 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
warcraft.jpg
131 KB, 720x1080
If you like Warcraft you will like the movie.

I think the two major things that they fucked up is the pacing and the fact that they chose this story out of all they could choose. Honestly, how the orcs ended up in Azeroth is a real shit story. The movie fucks up with pacing so they can't really deliver a solid ending either IMO. Still I guess its an okay movie and a pretty good one if you actually like Warcraft.

>Some person working at the theater comes in and starts talking and asks how many in there have played something related to Warcraft
>literally every single person raises their hand
>>
>>70097950
Warcraft is a pretty well known brand. I also imagine a girl who only played hearthstone on her boyfriend's smartphone once would rise her hand too because "imma such a nerd xDD"
>>
>>70097950
Saw it today.

Ive played the game since 2006.

LOVED it.
>>
realer then real life #warcraft #awesome
>>
I hope this movie generates a lot of money so they can make one about Arthas and Illidan
>>
>>70097950
Alright, how much of the Warcraft lore should I know before going in?

Tried playing it, but RPGs aren't my style I guess. I dunno, grinding bores me after a while.
>>
>>70098209
>Alright, how much of the Warcraft lore should I know before going in?
Don't know really to be honest. I mean I have played World of Warcraft but honestly had no clue about who most of the people were. I liked it a lot. My friend who's more in to Warcraft lore also liked it.

Even though I dont know much about the characters or the lore before I never went "so why is this happening?" or "why is he important?".
>>
>>70098170

Likewise, I don't know why they chose to risk it all on the far less popular Warcraft 1 story. If they get to Warcraft 3 I'll be very excited, that's a movie I'd watch even if it were bad.
>>
>>70097950
I'm not sure why they ommited the whole "Genocided 90% of an entire race before they noped out in their magic spaceship" thing the orcs did.
>>
>>70098643

Haven't watched the film, but BC-onward Draenei are a lore abortion and I'm fine with them never showing up in anything outside of WoW.
>>
File: 1444377668621.png (30 KB, 153x334) Image search: [Google]
1444377668621.png
30 KB, 153x334
>>70097950
Not interested in this shitfest because I was too busy playing the superior MMO
>>
>>70098696
>Runescape
>Superior to anything
>>
>>70098687
i want my futa draenei waifus though
>>
>>70098727
1v1 me wildy kid
>>
File: rs (2).png (55 KB, 483x113) Image search: [Google]
rs (2).png
55 KB, 483x113
>>70098727
>>
>>70098727

>muh orcs
>muh elves

At least Runescape has some originality.
>>
Warcraft the Beginning™ Is great bros. Remember to buy your tickets early on select Regal Theaters ™ and Universal Artist Theaters™ For a free copy of Blizzard Entertainment © , World of Warcraft™ In theaters on Real 3D and I-MAX 3D this June 10th!
>>
warcraft will beat avatar?
>>
File: 1464043809921.jpg (279 KB, 1584x1475) Image search: [Google]
1464043809921.jpg
279 KB, 1584x1475
>>70097950
I just want a Arthas movie desu. Never bothered with the mmo shit, just played the RTS games.
>>
I love how people can only talk about WoW while discussing this movie when its based on Warcraft I and II.
>>
>>70098921

What even is the story to WoW?
>>
>>70098890
This to be honest, dont even get they why they started with this story for a movie. I've heard the excuse that they wanted "a foundation", but honestly I think the Arthas story could've worked better.

From the end of this one I doubt the next one will be about Arthas
>>
File: 1456077830181.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1456077830181.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
>>70098921
It's almost as if World of Warcraft has something to do with Warcraft I-III. Wow!!
>>
>>70099080
I didn't like Blizzard's decision to shift from RTS to MMO then, I still don't like or care now. I wish they just made Warcraft IV instead
>>
File: death-knight-1.jpg (145 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
death-knight-1.jpg
145 KB, 1024x768
>>70098890
>>70099031
An Arthas story would be even worse rated. Too many fucking characters to begin with.

They are struggling with Warcraft 1, WHICH HAS THE LEAST AMOUNT OF CHARACTERS, and they still somehow manage to get the critics confused as fuck.

Warcraft 2's story is pretty much one of the best, so I'd rather they adapt that next. Orgrim becomes a total badass, Lothar gets his shit done in, Khadgar becomes all badass as fuck.

Guldan's mother fucking death knights, which aren't anything like the lich king's emo death knights.
>>
>>70098966

Started good

Is now a broken, decaying husk

I do mean the story but also the game in general I guess
>>
>>70098038
youre a weird dude
>>
>>70098966
You are the player and do awesome shit?
More accurately, I think its
The Horde and the Humans are still having problems then the world goes to shit because of the Lich King.
Thrall is Jesus
Meanwhile the Dragonflights fuck shit up.
Thrall is Jesus
Illidan is still trying to get rid of the Lich King and gets killed for his trouble.
Thrall is Jesus
Garrosh raises hell, gets beaten up.
Thrall is Jesus
Arthas organises a tournament to draw the strongest warriors in order to create a massive army that will allow him to take over the world.
Thrall is Jesus
Arthas gets killed and a new Lich king ascends.
Thrall is Jesus
Garrosh goes back in time.
Thrall is Jesus

>>70099080
80% of the lore such as it is comes from Warcraft. But people can only talk about WoW when the only thing it did was killing any momentum the story might have had.
When you spend half your expansions revisiting the events of prevous games, something went wrong.
Point being that there used to be a game series before WoW. WoW is not the beginning of the IP. Look at this >>70098464 for an exemple.
>I mean I have played World of Warcraft but honestly had no clue about who most of the people were
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 590x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 590x500
Is Dafoe playing Moroes?
>>
Played the game since release day, know a decent amout about the lore and stopped playing around 4 years ago.

The dialogues are cringeworthy and the pacing is fucked to hell. It`s 2 hours of exposition.
Everyone who cares about WoW will know what happen anyway, and everyone who dosn't is probably confused as fuck.
What keeps this movie popular and makes retarded fanboys drool over it is that there is some recognizable stuff shoved in every few minutes. The movie basically goes like this:

10 minutes of shitty acting and dialogue -> HEY IS THAT A MURLOC? -> 10 minutes of shitty acting and dialogue -> HEY IS THAT WESTFALL??? I KNOW THAT I PLAYED THE GAME YOU KNOW! -> Action scene -> 10 minutes of shitty acting and dialogue -> rinse and repeat

I can`t remember the last time i was this bored during a movie. There were like 1 or 2 cool looking scenes like when gul'dan kills the deer , but that dosn`t excuse almost 2 hours of NOTHING HAPPENING

The CG looks okay on some parts, and absolutely terrible on other parts. Every time an actor is alone on screen with a CG character, (like when Lothar threatens to kill the orc if that wolf comes any closer ) the actor usually dosn't move at all, because they don' know what they are supposed to react to.

Also, i have no clue why they casted a fish to play the king.

Do yourself a favor and torrent it if you are curious. The low review scores are 100% justified, and it's not a movie for fans. It`s a movie for drooling retards that eat up everything that is well marketed.
>>
I've been playing Warcraft since the second game.
The movie was garbage, I hate when they make a product aimed at the fans and they put that as an excuse to deliver garbage.
It's like they think their fans are retards uncapable of recognizing when a movie is awful.
>>
>>70099218
Because they're not adapting Warcraft 1 the game.
They're adapting the retcon shitfest that is the First War.
>>
>>70100641
You don`t understand. It had things i know in it. That makes it good. Things i recognize are good because i'm familiar with them, and i can talk about how i recognized them online with other people who also recognized those things. It's EPIC.
>>
>>70098209
good thing most of the games are strategy then
>>
>>70100917
All the lore of the first two games has been retconned to hell and back.
There's no point in playing them if you want to see the plot.
A shame since the second game is the best of the series.
>>
Hello friends,

Long time lurker, first time poster.
I just wanted to add that Warcraft is indeed a great movie. I just watched it with my friends and it was so good, we are coming back to see it again, and are bring our girlfriends and even family members! When we were leaving the theater we chatted up some other guys who looked like gamers and they told us it was their third viewing! The hype is real guys!
>>
>>70100678
It still has less characters than Warcraft 3. A Warcraft 3 movie would be dogshit. The only way to do it is through a tv series.
>>
>>70100951
Some things were retconned because it was necessary. You gotta realize that Warcraft 1 and 2 had split timelines for orcs and humans. If you play as humans, humans win, and as orcs, orcs win. The lore tries to take stuff from both timelines and merge it into one.

This only stopped with Beyond the Dark Portal, if I'm correct.
>>
>>70098817
>muh mahjarrat
>muh other "big" questlines that were secretly about mahjarrat the whole time

damn that so original
>>
>>70099340
you skipped half of the expansions
>>
>>70101174
I'm talking about shit like Lothar dying in an "honorable duel" or Doomhammer being a noble orc.

They've been basically whitewashing orcs since WC3.
>>
>>70098038
well she'd be right to since hearthstone is directly related to warcraft
>>
Why would liking a video game mean that you would like a movie based around said video game. You probably liked the video game because of the gameplay, not the story, and this movie will have no gameplay.
>>
File: 1463753294584.png (238 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
1463753294584.png
238 KB, 1360x768
For those interested in the RTS games, Warcraft 2 is fantastic.

There's an HD version of Warcraft 2 that's running the stratagus engine. Here it is. (For those who can't be bothered to buy Warcraft 2 Battle.net edition)

https://mega.nz/#!7YZFCZII!XB7OGRNNFWcQr9By4KlR7VBmZpWG_2M0Qke__EQQwiI
>>
>>70101262
I don't disagree with that retcon.

If Durotan didn't exist, then it would make sense, but since he was added in the lore later, it wouldn't make sense for Orgrim to act like such a douchebag. Durotan's values must have rubbed on him
>>
I think I know why the pacing is weird.
People have said that scenes that were in trailer and even the leaked comic con footage weren't in the movie. Supposedly, the film was intended to be 30 minutes longer.
Duncan said in a recent Twitter Q&A that he might release a directors cut.
>>
>>70101332
people like both the story and the game
there are plenty of people who played the rts campaigns for the story
>>
File: btfo.png (371 KB, 1554x888) Image search: [Google]
btfo.png
371 KB, 1554x888
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>70101370
Yeah, and that's why it's a retcon, because they changed the personality of a character 180º just because they wanted to make orcs seem honorable warriors instead of bloodthirsty savages.
That thing about the demon pact is also a retcon in my eyes, however, since in WC2 it was only implied that they controlled demons and not otherwise but never said outright, I can't really defend it.
>>
>>70101445
pfft movie critics obviously have no idea what they are talking about! They probably don't even play the game! They are NOT the target audience! NO THE MOVIE IS NOT BAD!
IT HAS THE NAME OF SOMETHING I LIKE ON IT, IT CANT BE BAD, STOP SAYING IT.
>>
>>70101485
But it's an okay retcon, makes it more interesting than the black & white of the 1st 2 games.
>>
>>70101318
anon pls
>>
>>70098696
Would RuneScape make a good movie?
>>
>>70101541
It's not an okay retcon because they could've expanded on the orcs without having to retcon anything in the first place.
That stuff about the demon pact and the Frostwolf being the only clan could've been done without the need for retconning Doomhammer character, just say that they didn't participate on the wars and there you have it, but instead they have to turn all the race into honorable warriors that didn't do anything wrong.
>>
>>70098170
I heard it cost $100 million.
Unless it makes $600 million they will consider it too risky to make another, especially when you can just crank out some more capeshit and make a billion.
>>
>>70101556
I dont think so. Maybe they could do a god wars movie or a wise old man when he was younger movie
>>
>>70101541
You mean it makes it basically identical to every fantasy story of the last couple decades?
>>
Eh, it was okay. I expected a lot worse

Pacing and editing was dogshit, and I wish good luck for anyone who hasnt played the games to try to follow the story
>>
>>70101645
You have to consider all the tie in merchandise as well, all those, uhm... wow acccounts?
>implying all the money won't go to the superior warcraft that just came out
>>
>that intro with the guy versus the orc because OMG THAT WAS THE INTRO IM SUCH A NERD XD

>it literally has nothing to do with anything
>>
>>70101697
which ones?
>>
>>70101752
>I wish good luck for anyone who hasnt played the games to try to follow the story.

Oh god this, i can't even imagine it.
What are those blue people in the cages?
Why was everyone laughing when that weird frog monster showed up for half a second, what the fuck was that?
Why are some of the orcs brown, what the fuck is fel?
Why is that apprentice guy somehow just as strong as that watcher guy that is supposed to be so strong?
Were that elves sitting at the round table? There are elves in this world?What the fuck are they doing there and why don't they do anything.

I could go on forever
>>
Saw it today.
I guess it could have been confusing for someone who is completely new to the setting.
I liked it, the gryphon ride for example felt really nice because it seemed to be straight from old WoW.
>>
>>70098696
Said the high schooler.
>>
Why did Medith die when he was in Warcraft 3?

Who is going to give Thrall a tutorial now?
>>
>>70101623
It's not like they didn't do anything wrong, they invaded, were lead by someone that didn't even drink the blood, and lost in the end.
>>
>>70101645
Uh, no... Where the fuck did you get the concept a movie has to make 6x it's budget to make a profit? It's nowhere near that much.

Also Marvel capeshit is the only thing making 1B+ because it's part of a massive universe that is feeding off each other after 8 years of growth. The initial movies before Avengers didn't even make $600M.
>>
>>70097950
I saw it yesterday and it sucks.
>>
File: 1451908330549.gif (1 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
1451908330549.gif
1 MB, 853x480
>>70101970
>when the gryffon landed in the old gryffon window of Stormwind
>>
They should have started with the Draenor story of how they were corrupted, and then ended with the opening of the dark portal. Warcraft hasnt been good since Warcraft 2. The stories were much better back then and were way more straightforward. Now they get into this orc hippy shit made popular by wow and its total ass.
>>
Can you guys be more specific beyond "it sucks"? The level of discussion is so low on the internet. Why do people come here?
>>
>>70102160
>>70100135
>>
>>70102151
>Now they get into this orc hippy shit made popular by wow
By wow?

Don't you mean 3?
>>
>>70100135
Basically this. The acting performance of humans was fucking abysmal. The story is shit with too much being crammed into it and no stakes at all. Only the action scenes were ok. It's watchable but it's certainly not good. I give it a 5/10
>>
>orcs dont lie, it's not honorable

>orcs continue to lie constantly
>>
>>70102272
Lothar or whoever was good, the rest were crap

Half-orc girl was severely hindered by the Halloween plastic Dracula teeth
>>
>>70102208
They had a new "unarguably evil" enemy in w3 and frozen throne though. Not to mention they balanced hippy orcs against HYPER hippie elves.

But the orcs could still be pretty big assholes in w3 because all four sides could balance out the tones of one-another.

But once wow hit, every playable race had to be equally good for some reason. They even made THE UNDEAD into faggots.

Point being, it all worked in w3 because there was a bigger enemy. In the warcraft movie, its just orcs and humans again, and the orcs are faggots and the humans are retards.
>>
>>70101970
>I guess it could have been confusing for someone who is completely new to the setting.
Which is why it's justified in receiving such shit ratings.
It's a major release and the first film of a "new" fantasy universe. If the only way to understand anything that's going on is to have read/seen it in other media, then a lot of people involved in making it have royally fucked up.
>>
>>70102485
>But once wow hit, every playable race had to be equally good for some reason
Well, that's mmos for ya. There is a reason most expac stories are flashbacks, they know the lore is all fucked

>no common enemy
What about the Fel, Gul'dan and opening the gate that would be bad for everybody
>>
>>70102545
b-but w-wow has touched b-billions of p-people!
>>
>>70102592
>hey, this is bad for everyone
>lets go along with it anyway despite the fact we can totally take this old dick

so warcraft movie orcs are hippy faggots AND retarded.
>>
>>70102661
Could they? He has an instakill just pointing his hand at you
>>
>>70102696
HORDE.
>>
>movie ends with For the Alliance

FUCKING NORMIES BETRAYING THEIR TRUE FANS WHO PLAYED HORDE SINCE 2004 EVERY DAY

THEY CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS
>>
>>70102845
Horde is and always has been for edgy teens and manchildren.
>>
>>70102881
Honestly if you weren't edgy as a kid you failed your entire childhood
>>
>>70102545
go watch the movie faggot.
I ujnderstood everything perfectly
>>
>>70102958
>t. someone who's played WoW/Warcraft
>>
>>70102958
Why didn't the female draenei have dick sucking lips and big ol titties?
>>
>>70102990
If you see the draenei in the movie and go "WHAT WAS THAT?" and the movie is ruined for you then congrats - You are autistic for real. They play no role except a life force.

Did you react the same when the Haradrim or Easterlings appear in RotK?
>>
File: ha.jpg (84 KB, 682x600) Image search: [Google]
ha.jpg
84 KB, 682x600
>after seeing it mentioned in these threads, decide to see the front page of mmo-champion to see if it's as much of a cancerous circlejerk as it used to be
>they are literally already praising Warcraft as the #1 film of all time that changed cinema forever
It's like a cult at this point
>>
>>70100135
>torrent
is there a torrent yet?
>>
>>70102990
I admit I played it but I was never one for the lore. What was so hard to follow in this plot? It moved a bit too fast that was my only problem.
You dont need to explain every little thing.

After the screening I overheard some faggots speaking and they could'nt even remember Gul'Dan's name.... that is why this movie is rated so low.
>>
>>70103052
>Why didn't the female draenei have dick sucking lips and big ol titties?

So you dont start wanking your pee pee during the movie
>>
File: 1464137240116.png (208 KB, 403x430) Image search: [Google]
1464137240116.png
208 KB, 403x430
>>70101445
>bu-but its good guys I swear! critics don't understand pure vidyakino
>>
>>70102545

In order to properly understand WoW lore, you have to read the books. Pretty much anyone who isn't Thrall only has their characterisation fleshed out in the books.

The set-up for Warlords wasn't even in the game. I'm not defending this, just saying that there's a lot of past form for this.
>>
>>70104120
>In order to properly understand WoW lore, you have to read the books.
I don't have time for that shit, and I have time to waste on /tv/.
>>
>>70103073
Can't say I'm surprised. Blizzcucks are literally the worst fanbase of all internet.
>>
>>70104120
Any book recommendation? Like, fairly well written ones?

I played all WC, and WoW up to current expansion. I just never bothered with the books.
>>
I've read lore and played the games, and I loved the movie. I doubt anyone would think of it as anything but a generic fantasy flick if they already didn't appreciate the universe. It was surprisingly violent, though.
>>
>>70104324

I've never read any of them, just the wowwiki/wowpedia articles that use them as a source.
>>
>>70098921
All of the orcs in the movie are in WoW, and also some of the alliance characters.
>>
>that Gul'dan without the armor
Pretty cool
>>
>>70104609
But none of the events surrounding those characters and their actual importance.
>>
>>70104765
Gul'dan is a physically weak, old orc. The fact that he is still so fearsome and powerfull makes him an interesting character, and it shows how powerfull and unique warlocks are.
The second they turned him into a brute he went from "mysterious powerfull guy" to "evil dumb dumb bad guy".
>>
>>70104324
Not that guy but any of the Christie Golden books are pretty good, knaak ones are a can be a bit hit or miss and blood and honor by Metzen is pretty good
>>
I don't get how a "true" warcraft fan can enjoy this movie. Metzen completely rapes the original story. It has almost nothing to do with the lore of the original 2 games.
>>
>>70106011
clearly true warcraft fans are the people still paying monthly to grind daily quests for welfare epics so they can grind daily quests faster.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.