[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it me or is this movie unintentionally depressing? I see
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: boyhood.jpg (111 KB, 464x345) Image search: [Google]
boyhood.jpg
111 KB, 464x345
Is it me or is this movie unintentionally depressing?

I see it as a tragedy of a boy who takes that shitty "live in the moment, bro" philosophy too close to heart and then ends up being an aimless pothead.

I guess the movie tried to give him something by making him a photographer, but he shows very little ambition towards that craft.

I would love to see a Boyhood movie where the kid grows up to be a hard-working and influential scientist or writer. Instead he's on the way to lamenting his unlived life as an old man, if he even lives to be old.
>>
>>70057790

I guarantee you that Linklater was like Mason and he has turned out to be one of the most respected American filmmakers of his generation.

Get fucked.
>>
It's written for the Jews. Don't think too much into it.
>>
TWELVE
>>
I thought it was really good but then tailed off when he started becoming a weird fuck as he got older
>>
>>70061904
YEARS
>>
>>70061943
TO
>>
T W E L V E
W
E
L
V
E
>>
>>70061943
A SLAVE
>>
>>70061967
FUCK
>>
>>70057790
I guess around the age of 18 - 20 young adults often believe that they become "wise" just to be reminded a few years later that they are in fact still immature and that the process of learning and trying and working never ends. I think the movie ends a good note.
>>
File: VRT-Ryan.jpg (36 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
VRT-Ryan.jpg
36 KB, 620x620
I'M THAT GUY
'
M

T
H
A
T

G
U
Y
>>
>>70057790
>mfw this movie is EXACTLY my life except for the parents' divorce (until now)
>>
I attended a q and a with the actor and some female writer or producer or something.

They more or less based the movie around the kid irl. I remember her saying jf he'd turned into a 200 pound wrestler then that's where the story had went.

Tbh I liked the movie. I think it's like into the wild where normies who are so used to perfect protagonists will think the lead is so cool and inspiring, when really the movie felt, to me, that it's kind of a reflection of growing up. Not everybody does amazing things and people fuck shit up. Last time I said this someone green texted >it's supposed to be shit, which isn't what I'm saying at all. It spoke to me in the same way as dazed and confused. But a 90s version with a greater focus on thr uneventful lead character instead of ensemble. Like if Freak and Geeks was about the main kid instead of like ten kids. But I can see how and why others would rightfully dislike it.

Also muh twelve years. Yeah, any movie that uses a gimmick this unusual (but it was used once or twice before... yeah senpai that still makes it rare) is gonna be the main thing people talk about. The production doesn't make it good, but it does service the story, which is all I ask for in a gimmick
>>
>>70057790
well I'm sure it's a little bit based on Linklater himself, who grew up as an artsy fag amidst a bunch of sports loving chads (though Linklater does like sports so he wasn't a complete goth).
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.