[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post your top 5 black-and-white films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: Filming-Low-Angle.jpg (286 KB, 786x619) Image search: [Google]
Filming-Low-Angle.jpg
286 KB, 786x619
Sátántangó
Citizen Kane
Bicycle Thieves
The Gold Rush
Greed
>>
Through a Glass Darkly
Harakiri
The Mother and the Whore
Marketa Lazarová
Diary of a Country Priest
>>
7 samurai
double indemnity
raging bull
some like it hot
memento (if that counts)
>>
>>69911240
counts, because we are nice like that
>>
pleb coming thru

tokyo twilight
dr strangelove
marketa lazarova
casablanca
the man who shot liberty valance
>>
>>69911600
you know you are automatically patrician if you have 5 favorite black-and-white films
>>
File: sneak chocolate.jpg (31 KB, 552x440) Image search: [Google]
sneak chocolate.jpg
31 KB, 552x440
Manhattan
Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Paths of Glory
Sunset Boulevard
>>
>>69911600
and btw nice list
>>
>>69911799
The fuck
>>
>>69910609

Wings of Desire
>>
>>69913628
Nice five

>>69913693
>le pretentious
You'll be missed
>>
>citizen kane
Kill yourselves.
>>
I loved Nebraska
>>
>>69913811
>>69913841
How can you be this pathetic and insecure?
>>
>>69913841
>>69913892
CKs plot lets it down.
>>
>>69913994
>le plot kid
But even on that matter, it's a spectacular screenplay. How does it let the film down?
>>
>>69914171
The entire driving force of the narrative is about something nobody knows about. That's bad writing.
>>
>>69914343
>The entire driving force of the narrative is about something nobody knows about. That's bad writing.
LMAO
>>
>>69914520
People know his dying words despite nobody being present which set's off the entire narrative.
The oversight fucks the rest of the story.
>>
>>69914600
This is a minimal thing; and essentially irrelevant to the quality of the film. Only >le plotholes seekers could care about it, and even then anyone willing can think of an exterior or meta explanation that answers the 'problem', if this hurts someone's autism.
>>
>>69913811
OP here. Yes Citizen Kane if one of my most favorite films. I do understand the hate, it is only because it appeared multiple times as #1 film in different rankings. No one cares about #2 films like Bicycle Thieves or Battleship Potemkin or The Rules of the Game, but Citizen Kane gets all the hate. It is understandable. Please let me defend this film since I like it. It's not that much about plot or anything else, because if it were about plot I'd read books instead. It is that the cinematography is incredible (shadows and mirrors), also very inventive, but I won't count all the things there are too many, like the fact they used fake ceilings to hide recording devices above it and shoot the scenes with ceilings. Yes currently it's not a problem and we have CGI wherever we need it, but it's a gem from 1941 and I like it.
>>
>>69914781
>anyone willing can think of an exterior or meta explanation that answers the 'problem'
Which is bad writing, plain and simple.
This movie is praised as one of the greatest films of all time, yet has a horrible plot-hole at its core which negates the narrative.
>>
>>69914994
Not at all. Plot-holes are only a care for plebs who have them as an accessible tool for 'criticism'.
>>
L'Avventura
seven samourais

so far
>>
>>69915036
You can't pass judgement with out criticisms anon.
You can enjoy it for all it's worth but when you start to spout garbage and rank things, you're attempting to impose a validity to your arguments and demean those that disagree with you.
>>
>>69914994
literally pleb: the post. how can you not understand that normal (not youtube) critics are praising films NOT for a fucking plot. it's not literature, it's cinema. films are getting praised for directing and cinematographic work.
>>
>>69915174
>you're attempting to impose a validity to your arguments and demean those that disagree with you.
Yes
>>
>>69915285
Film is a combination of all those elements and more.
If all you care about is cinematography and directing, you're a bigger pleb and pretentious cunt than you originally came across as and my advice still stands, kill yourself.
>>
>>69915419
>when the got babbys try to act tough
:^)
>>
File: 1448241161603.jpg (8 KB, 182x246) Image search: [Google]
1448241161603.jpg
8 KB, 182x246
>>69915501
>>
>>69915419
Ok now imagine, one critic likes love stories and will praise all love films, another one lives space and will prase interstellar star wars etc what will we have in the end? on the other hand everyone will agree how Kane was inventive in the approach of cinematographic work. plot is your personal business, you watch stories that you like, objective criticism should not imply on plot, or should but only slightly, if the plot disappoints obviously it can be noted. otherwise we would have fucking fight club or something at the top of every critic list
>>
I enjoyed:
Casablanca
Some like it hot (though it's in technicolour)
Laura
Citizen Kane
Sunset Blvd
>>
Paths of Glory
Double Indemnity
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Third Man
Nosferatu
>>
Stagecoach
High and Low
Late Spring
Raging Bull
City Girl
>>
Winter Light
Au Hasard Balthazar
The Night of the Hunter
My Winnipeg
The Exterminating Angel
>>
Sunset Boulevard
The Maltese Falcon
Strangers on a Train
Double Indemnity
Witness For the Prosecution
>>
>>69910609
1. Rachat de la pénitentiaire (1994)
2. Le Parrain (1972)
3. Le Parrain II (1974)
4. Chevalier noir (2008)
5. La Liste de Juifs (1993)
6. Douze hommes en colère (1957)
7. Pulpe Récit (1994)
8. Le Seigneur des Anneaux: Le Retour du Roi (2003)
9. Le Bon, la Brute et le Truand (1966)
10. Club du Combat (1999)
>>
>>69917058
Fucking frog
>>
La Haine
Raging Bull
Fort Apache
Black Sunday
Sunset Boulevard
>>
File: Oui.gif (2 MB, 350x269) Image search: [Google]
Oui.gif
2 MB, 350x269
>>69917058
>La Liste de Juifs

My fucking sides.
>>
L'arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat (1895)
Roundhay Garden Scene (1888)
Carmaux, défournage du coke (1896)
La Sortie de l'Usine Lumière à Lyon (1895)
Traffic Crossing Leeds Bridge (1888)
>>
La Haine
Schindler's List
Pi
Clerks
Frances Ha
>>
>>69910609
Dark Days is good.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.