[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Neon Demon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: the_neon_demon.jpg (175 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
the_neon_demon.jpg
175 KB, 1280x853
>"A horror film is what “The Neon Demon” is (sort of). It’s set in the Los Angeles fashion world, and it’s the kind of movie in which models look like mannequins that look like slasher-film corpses, and corpses look like love objects. Beauty mingles with mangled flesh, and each fastidiously slick image seems to have come out of “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me” or “The Shining” or a very sick version of a Calvin Klein commercial. Every scene, every shot, every line of dialogue, every pause is so hypnotically composed, so luxuriously overdeliberate, that the audience can’t help but assume that Refn knows exactly what he’s doing — that he’s setting us up for the kill."
> – Owen Gleiberman, Variety

I want to believe.
>>
>>69832759
Lol only a 15 Year old would be interested in seeing this pretentious shit. Its literally muh life as a women trying to be famous by being a whore. Pretty much what every woman on the planet secretly wants to do.
>>
>>69832831
You suck.
>>
>>69832759
It's probably good, but modern audiences can't stomach looking at the ugly side of themselves.

>"“I wanted to rub the human race in its own vomit, and force it to look in the mirror.”" - J.G. Ballard
>>
>>69832831
back to /b/
>>
>>69832759

Winding is notoriously OCD about every last fucking detail in his fucking films. He is one of the most deliberate directors for all the bad and good of it.
>>
>>69833668
>>69833793
At yesterday's press conference he stated that "The Neon Demon" was basically about living out his fantasy of being a 16-year-old girl through Elle. Now without wanting to reduce myself to "MUH DICK", I think this movie is going to be sexy as fuck.
Driver was all about male energy, heroic strength and cunning.
The Demon will be all about the heroic cunny.
>>
>>69832759
Hey, I actually saw this.

The reason it's getting shit on so much is because the dialogue is really, really bad (think Tommy Wiseau) and all the color effects look really forced, while the light in general looks really cheap and fake. (Odd, considering how amazing those things looked in OGF)
>>
>>69834035
so, all of it is bad?
>>
>>69833162
Is he wrong though?
>>
>>69834174
He's wrong for projecting his opinion on other people. That's just a sucky thing to do.
>>
>>69833162
>>69833752
>essentially states the same thing as the director
>get garbage responses

At least put some effort into it.
>>
the Cannes press conference was adorably awkward
>>
>>69833914
Can't wait, actually. I like to compare his Hollywood movies to Valhalla and those other films with Mads.
>>
>>69834297
OP here. It wasn't a statement but a quote. My statement was "I want to believe". Which implies that I'm sorta skeptical but still have high hopes.
>>
>>69834080
Some of the acting is good, as are some of the visual concepts. All together it's just really dull. His worst film IMO (although I haven't seen Fear X yet).
>>
>>69834606
>his worst film

disappointing, it seems drive was his apex and he can't come back from it
>>
This is going to be a "horror" film in the same way that Enter the Void and Black Swan are: it isn't.
>>
Love me a good body horror
>>
>>69834716
I thought the Pusher trilogy was better than Drive, personally.
>>
>>69834730
Collider review: "It’s the combination of the sound, imagery and design that keeps us mesmerized well more than the plot."

So, it's like 2001. Refn loves Kubrick.
>>
>>69834730
I'm >>69834035
It kind of is a horror movie, but it takes far too long to get there. The first ~90% of the film is like the daytime in the original Halloween, and then the last 10% is the nighttime in the original Halloween (with a Refn twist). Almost all of the first 90% consists of unusually bad dialogue (Refn trying to write young women and making it sound like a 12 year old's anime fan fiction) and what is essentially filler. There's a little bit of character and theme exploration here and there, but not much, and most of it is handled extremely awkwardly. Like I said before, it's just very dull with Wiseau dialogue.

>>69834958
Not really. It's actually a very plot heavy film. It's just that the plot is so bad and boring that you have to ignore it.
>>
>>69835151
Thanks. Won't bother watching it then.
>>
>>69835186
Eh, if you've seen a Refn film before and you like unusual things, give it a shot. I don't care for it, but it has 'cult classic' written all over it. If you can sit through Argento's less inspired works you can sit through this.
>>
>>69835151
can you confirm that there is a scene that contains lesbian necrophilia and cannibalism at the end of the movie?

heard that's what caused all the booing and walkouts at cannes
>>
>>69835321
Yeah. On the one hand it's tasteless and you can tell it was improvised while filming (it was added just as they started filming and was not rehearsed and there was no pre-pro done for it), but it's also somewhat interesting because despite it's tackiness and tastelessness it's also quite genuine in a way. Refn and the actress (Jenna Malone) really gave their all right there.
>>
>>69835491
>>69835321
Also, people were already walking out right at the start when the Amazon logo popped up and a couple times afterwards. At the same time, at the end there were far more people clapping than booing.

From what I could tell in the dark Refn was looking kind of upset at first, but as the film went on he became more and more excited by people getting so upset. At the end he was just sitting there smiling, that glorious motherfucker.
>>
File: 1417416557563.jpg (249 KB, 1279x1923) Image search: [Google]
1417416557563.jpg
249 KB, 1279x1923
Superior actress, superior looks, superior personality... Superior Fanning.
>>
>>69835151
What are you? A Cannois or a journalist?
All these assumptions are clearly done by someone who didn't see it and only watched the scenes available on YouTube.

Je ne te crois pas.
>>
>>69835648
oh, hi Krager. Yes we know. You have made your point. Goodbye.
>>
>>69835227
I kind of wanted to see it just for the visuals. Your reply sounds like the visuals weren't very well done.
>>
>>69835651
Well, I do know, but I'm not Cannois (you can't get in as a filthy peasant anyway).

I work for one of the largest Dutch public broadcasting stations (which are a big deal in The Netherlands) and they were going to Cannes. One guy they had a ticket for dropped out and they had no direct replacement for him, so I just talked them into bringing me with them. They sent a huge team to TV-Cannes (I forgot the real name) earlier this year, but to them real Cannes apparently isn't really a big deal so they were like "sure, if you pay for your own hotel room".
>>
>>69835894
hard to believe desu
>>
File: charlotte riles.jpg (159 KB, 783x1172) Image search: [Google]
charlotte riles.jpg
159 KB, 783x1172
>>69835648
>krager the fagger

gtfo krager, nobody likes you here. you tripcode faggit. you fucked your momma yet, incestboi?
>>
>>69835701
Why would they be? Refn just likes to rip off Argento and Jodorowsky.
>>
Hope there's a bunch of fappable scenes
>>
>>69838106

>ripping off Jodoslavsky

I don't think anyone actually does this unless they want to make a deliberately shit movie.
>>
>>69837304
I guess we'll just need to see for ourselves...
So far I honestly don't give a rat's ass about what other think of this movie.
>>
>>69838076
>replying to tripfags
>>
>>69832759

So basically this is black swan but insteasd of a ballerina its fashion models.

I actually want to see this. Hopefully it steers away from being too shit
>>
>>69832831
who let you out of /r9gag/
>>
>>69838076
>gtfo krager, nobody likes you here. you tripcode faggit. you fucked your momma yet, incestboi?
you haven't figured out Krager's actually Redwood yet, have you
>>
>>69832831
Am I wrong to assume you spend your entire day on the internet?
>>
when are we getting a trailer?
>>
Refn's films are literally made to piss off critics, he even says so in the press conference. He is fucking based as fuck. FUCK ALL HATERS!!!
>>
>>69832831
Underrated
>>
WOW HE'S REALLY EXPOSING THE UNDERBELLY OF THE FASHION WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT AN ARTIST
>>
>>69842859
You are a fucking retard and if you're over 18 there's no hope for you.
>>
>>69832831
fpbp
>>
>>69843035
Project much, bitch?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.