[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't really understand Coen brothers movies, does /tv/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: Fargo.jpg (351 KB, 2500x1667) Image search: [Google]
Fargo.jpg
351 KB, 2500x1667
I don't really understand Coen brothers movies, does /tv/ like them? Just a weird atmosphere
>>
>>69792053
>weird atmosphere
It's Coen brothers trademark sign. I wish there would be Malvo cameos in S3.
>>
>>69792053
I fucking love them.
>>
>>69792053

What do you mean you don't "understand" them?

Are you implying there is something super deep to them that you aren't already aware of?

Coen brothers films are praised for their competency. The best Coen brothers movies are just super fucking well made. A masterclass of editing, cinematography, writing, acting, etc.

They are just super solid films that appeal to a wide range of audiences, there isn't really anything super complex or deep about any of their movies.
>>
>>69792255
Are they comedies?
>>
>>69792053
>>69792332
some of them are

is impossible to -not- understand all their movies, some are complex but others are pretty simple.
>>
>Doesn't understand Coen brothers films
>Image is from TV Series
>>
>>69792053

Fargo season 2 really shit the bed with the whole aliens thing.
>>
File: barton-fink-gif.gif (781 KB, 430x230) Image search: [Google]
barton-fink-gif.gif
781 KB, 430x230
>>
>>69792053
What's not to understand? Have you actually watched a Coen brothers movie? Why is your OP of the /tv/ show where the Coen Brothers are only executive producers?

The Big Lebowski is as basic as it gets, literally what's not to understand about that movie?
>>
>>69793210
>literally what's not to understand about that movie?

who kidnapped the gril???
>>
>>69793234
No one, they explain that in plain English in the movie
>>
memorable characters, great dialogue, acting is never bad even if the movie is, over arching themes, John Goodman and Steve Buscimi, blending of humor and violence/drama, wonderful cinematography
>>
>>69792053
I love their sense of humor,
never thought I'd laugh my ass off at Brad Pitt getting shot but then the Coen's proved otherwise
>>
>>69793210
I've watched the Big Lebowski & Fargo which is their two most popular movies. I just didn't get the point
>>
>>69793975
There is no point. Why do movies need to have points? You need a big sappy speech at the end of the movie to tie the events all together? Is Big Daddy a better movie than Fargo because at the end Adam Sandler learns a lesson?
>>
>>69792255
>there isn't really anything super complex or deep about any of their movies
>BARTON FINK and A SERIOUS MAN exist

pls
>>
>>69794047
knew you'd say something like that. It just seems like pointless plots, I didn't say learning lessons
>>
CB films are basically not funny enough to be comedies and not suspensible enough to be taken seriously
>>
>>69794130
>Pointless plots

It's an adventure story. The Big Lebowski leaves a lot of loose ends, and doesn't really answer any of your questions. That isn't the point of the movie. You're following around the Dude and Walter on their insane adventure through madness. Having a real ending to that movie would betray everything you watched before it.

Fargo is just a crime drama. I don't even understand what you don't get. That movie has a very rigid plot structure with drama building up and eventually exploding followed by a resolution, all with comedy mixed in.

You sound like you're probably stupid, and maybe you should get smarter. Because if you don't "get" these movies, then there's probably a lot of other things you don't get.
>>
File: ending.png (2 MB, 1810x979) Image search: [Google]
ending.png
2 MB, 1810x979
>>69794130
Fargo is not a pointless movie, hell the message it does make at the end is as overt as the Coens get
>>
they transfer comfy from pen and paper into film
>>
>>69792053
YOUR MOMS JUST WEIRD ATMOSPHERE
>>
>>69794257

the big lebowski is a comedy, other than some light baby-boomer shit that's it's purpose. it is by no means purposeless, although i agree the plot is all over the place, and i suggest intentionally so.

fargo's intention is to lay a formulaic crime drama against the backdrop of the cheesy upper-midwest. it's satire, not "just a crime drama."

the coen brothers use surrealness to amplify their satire, and stuck with that atmosphere for their serious movies like no country or true grit. but mostly they are satirists.
>>
>>69794047

strong yes
>>
>>69794379
but it wasn't even a nice day
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.