[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just saw the drinking documentary, i feel very good about not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 18
File: louis.jpg (33 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
louis.jpg
33 KB, 600x300
just saw the drinking documentary, i feel very good about not having had any alcohol to drink for about two months now
>>
Has he done any about weed?
>>
>>69734245
>i feel very good about not having had any alcohol to drink for about two months now

I had been sober for about a year up until a few days ago. I decided to have a few beers just to see if I would still enjoy it.

It wasn't nearly as good as I remember. I have no idea why I use to drink so much.
>>
>>69734324
I think with booze it's more of a habit thing, if you're able to observe the effects after a spell of clarity you'll notice the shittier effects of it more prominently.
>>
>>69734311
stoners who have their decisions challenged are the most combative people in the entire world, not even louis could reach them
>>
>>69734245
Glad I'm Muslim t b h
>>
>alcohol is a drug
When will this meme die?
>>
Alcohol isn't any more a problem than coffee or the Internet. The problem isn't in the substance itself, it's in the overuse.

There's a strong correlation between abstaining altogether and a shorter lifespan. http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2017200,00.html

Moderation in all things, and refrain from harming others. That's how you live a good life.
>>
Heartbreaking.
>>
That was my introduction to Louis. I don't understand the hype.
>>
>get sober
>realize I've wasted almost a decade of my life doing nothing but getting blackout drunk every day

This was a terrible idea.
>>
>>69734324
Really? I almost don't drink anymore, but every time I have a beer I cream my pants. I don't really like being drunk, but having a light buzz after 2 or 3 beers is the best feeling in the world.
>>
>>69734442
which is why it'd be interesting.
>>
>>69734448
Hey Achmed, did you guys blow up that plane? Be honest now.
>>
>>69734458
You need a diciprine.>>69734488
What
>>
where to watch this one from the US?
>>
>>69734589
Man I fucked that up.
>>69734488
Watch Weird Weekends. It's the greatest thing ever.
>>
File: s4dTtBy.jpg (86 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
s4dTtBy.jpg
86 KB, 384x313
Is cider the only alcoholic drink that actually tastes good?
>>
>>69734608
passthepopcorn.me
>>
>>69734458
>There's a strong correlation between abstaining altogether and a shorter lifespan

Seems like utter nonsense. Jews don't drink.
>>
>>69734631
If you're underage yes
>>
>>69734631
>black French lady from the documentary detected
>>
>>69734562
A terrorist never reveals his tricks :^)
>>
>>69734448
yeah me too, converted for my wife and her sons
>>
By the way is the scientology one out?
I feel like we've been taking about it for at least an year
>>
>>69734680
what are you even talking about
>>
>>69734631
I don't know how people drink that shit, it's too sweet
>>
>>69734701

+1 You've just outed yourself son.
>>
Who /etsubatsu/ here
>>
>>69734680
Jews drink as long as it is kosher.
You are thinking about muslims.
>>
>>69734631
>>69734631
>>69734631
Beer is delicious you fucking pathetic child

You think all those monks were sitting around chugging wheat beers before frat parties pretending they liked it to seem cool? Nah, you're just a faggot.

>lol le beer actually tastes bad everyone is pretending
>>
>>69734680
>Jews don't drink.
At Pesach you have drink 4 glasses of red wine each dinner for 8 days straight.
This includes KIDS who already did their Bar Mitzvah, so 13-14 years old kids have to drink that shit too.

If you can't endure because you're a little bitch you're allowed to use a smaller glass but it still has to be 4 glasses.
Every Qiddush, which is the dinner before Shabbath you have to drink wine.
Every fucking party and religious occurrence and shit you have to drink wine.
There are Kosher versions of every popular wine type like Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Pinot, Prosecco etc.etc.
You're full of shit.
>>
>thank goodness this British filmmaker told me what to do, I'm so weak willed I can't enjoy the odd drink without becoming an alcoholic
>>
>>69734458
Coffee is Bad?
>>
>>69734631
No. Keep missing out if you like.
>>
File: thorax.png (196 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
thorax.png
196 KB, 500x281
>>69734810
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZabjNlrOEo
What does etusbatsu even mean?
>>
>>69734631

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lPtr6dQrnY

if you dislike manly drinks you're a fag
>>
>>69734458
I can absolutely believe abstinence is correlated with lower life expectancy as the sort of people who need black and white solutions to alcohol are probably also making stupid decisions in other areas of life.
>>
File: 1462522405901.gif (3 MB, 294x238) Image search: [Google]
1462522405901.gif
3 MB, 294x238
>>69734990
>>
>>69734631
Yes. If you're a 17 year old girl.
>>
>>69734631
No... cocktails, wines (some), Baileys, whiskey-cola. its all about mixing i guess. some beers are good.
>>
>>69735189
>whiskey-cola
Holy shit you need to commit suicide right now you rancid piece of shit. You're human garbage, a disgusting, smelly pile of vaginal discharge and you should chew down at the barrel of a shotgun and pull the trigger this instant.
>>
>>69734967
I really don't understand how they determined that Asperger's and Autism are together.

Like Asperger's people have a hard time reading emotions and need to have things done their way but they're still aware of the world. They still think and write.

Autism just seems like there's apart of their mind that's just missing. Like they're closer to a dog than a person.
>>
>>69735568
schizoid is basically on the spectrum too for some stupid reason.
>>
>>69735568
They're pooled together because they share common traits. It's really not that hard to understand you autist.
>>
>>69735712
What's the common trait between some obessed nerd and a fucking Space Cadet? I just don't see how those two are linked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4PTf7LgsIE
>>
I just want to see the one about scientology release it already you fuck
>>
>>69734854
Because those monks were retarded germanics that couldn't make anything better, unlike their superior Roman masters.
>>
>>69735772
Severely is the keyword here. That's an extremely bad case. I know some autists who aren't nearly this bad, who for example are able to keep up a simple conversation and even to a degree participate in smalltalk if they're given the right topic and feel comortable.
>>
>>69734324
that's good anon.
I think you made the right choice, in my opinion just holding off and not giving yourself the chance to prove your force of will can hurt you inside and then maybe force you to re spiral back into it. I dont get those "20 years sober" types of dudes, if you HAVE to just not drink in order to control yourself then you havent cured shit
>>
>>69734458
this.
abstaining is not good both for the soul and for chance of relapse.
It's harder to actually learn how to control yourself
>>
>>69734442
*alcoholics who have their decisions challenged

Fixed that for you
>>
>>69736809
*addicts who have their decisions challanged

FTFY
>>
>>69737048
*people who have their life choices mocked

RFTFY
>>
>>69734442
They are.
>it's not addicitve
>so, why do you smoke 5 times a day?
>fuck you
>>
>>69737048
You're not wrong. Society still coddles alcoholics way more than they do to potsmokers, though. You can reference all the stoner movies/shows you want and spam "DUDE WEED LMAO" ad nauseum, but people will essentially get emotionally involved and all riled up when you start talking about the detrimental effects alcohol can have when used in excess.

>>69739458
Addiction isn't a "life choice". If you can "choose" to be addicted, then you might as well choose to get fucking sober.

>t. live with not one but two life-long alcoholics
>>
>>69739566
>brah alcohol's not a drug brah
>so why do you need to drink within an hour of waking up at the risk of getting "the shakes"?
>FUCK YOU BRAH I DO WHAT I WANT WITH MY BODY PROHIBITION NEVER WORKED ALCOHOL IS IN MUH CULTURE LOAN ME 2SQUID SO I CAN GO BUY A COUPLE TALLBOYS
>>
>>69734458
Unfortunately, alcohol is one of the only drugs that can kill you if you stop cold turkey.

Once you've crossed that alcoholic threshold, it's really, really hard to get back to normal. This is why alcoholism is much more of a problem than "coffee and the internet".
>>
>>69734526
>I don't really like being drunk, but having a light buzz after 2 or 3 beers is the best feeling in the world.

Agreed. Getting drunk seems like an egregious waste, when you can just ride the buzz and feel good longer/the next morn.
>>
File: 1461596889532.jpg (45 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1461596889532.jpg
45 KB, 500x375
tfw can consume drugs and drink in moderate without any issues of addiction

feel sorry for the people who cant but feels good for me though.

once a weekend or two i go out and get absolutely fucked and maybe once or twice a month i take mdma or xtc. watching drinking to the oblivion was really hard to watch, but made me glad i didnt have it this bad. weird how some people cant control themselves around substances and alcohol.
>>
>>69734962
Too much is, yes. Hence why it's mentioned in a call for moderation.
>>
>>69739590
>Society still coddles alcoholics way more than they do to potsmokers, though.
>people will essentially get emotionally involved and all riled up when you start talking about the detrimental effects alcohol can have when used in excess.
Yeah, I don't disagree with you, but surely you must understand that this is due to the fact that alcohol has a longer, and culturally significant history here in the west and is more widespread through our society.
>>
>>69739629
lol dudebros who say booze isn't a drug definitely aren't the ones taking medicinal shots of cheap vodka to stave off the shakes.
>>
>>69739566
Its not physically addictive like tobacco and other drugs.

But fuqqing lol'd at my stoners friends who smoke daily and tell me its not a problem. They are same way as fatsos who cant stop eating.
>>
>>69739669
>Getting drunk seems like an egregious waste
Yeah I get what you're talking about, but it's not that. It's more that I don't enjoy the sensation of loosing controll and my inhibitions.
>>
>>69739781
Slamming down shots of distilled spirits hasn't been part of any society's "culture" for longer than ~100yrs. Russia, Finland, and a lot of the Baltic countries do have traditions of drinking hard liquor, but not in excess.

>>69739828
Except they are. I went to school with and partied/drank with a lot of those "dudebros" who say "alcohol isn't a drug brah"; these guys would literally end up telling me stories like
>yeah brah I woke up one morning and I started vomiting blood
>so I went to the doctor and he told me I cant drink hard liquor anymore cuz I got an ulcer in my esophagus
>so now I just slam tallboys and 40s all day brah

These guys literally (yes, literally) start slamming down vodka and rum when they hit ~14-16 years old. One guy I knew who ended up getting esophageal polyps (ulcers in your food-tube) said that he was drinking a handle of vodka a fucking day
>>
>>69736748
actually, modern neuroscience research that you're right—absolute abstinence is more harmful to an alcoholic than regulated moderation. also, other studies show that those who can police themselves to drink moderately have a lower risk of relapse.

the psychological studies (i.e., not hard science) still suggest a period of abstinence before adjusting to moderation. exciting times
>>
>>69734245
>Louis the Roux

What kind of a stupid fucking nickname is that.
>>
>>69739992
>One guy I knew who ended up getting esophageal polyps (ulcers in your food-tube) said that he was drinking a handle of vodka a fucking day
Well, then he's obviously lying to himself out of shame.

Someone who drinks a handle a day know what's going on in their body. You can feel it in your organs, in your mouth, in your fuckin' nerves.
>>
>want to get drunk
>have to drink disgusting alcohol\
I don't know how alcoholics do it, I know its an acquired taste, but sugar is sweet, that's easy to get addicted to. Being drunk feels very nice though, I guess its just that people are after
>>
>>69739676

This honestly

I drink heavily but I have no real urge to do it all the time and I have no problem quitting, not drinking for a weekend etc.

I don't want to appear like I have superhuman willpower because it actually isn't difficult at all even though I do like to drink etc. I am however acutely aware that its not something you can do every day (really) and that it's not a good thing to keep doing all the time.

I dunno man, it's weird that some people seemingly cannot drink at all in moderation and must keep going until they end up like the dude in he docu.
>>
>>69739992
Distillation has been widespread through europe since the 1500's.
>>
>>69740099
>Well, then he's obviously lying to himself out of shame.
Okay but that's a common trait among all addicts, not just alcoholics. Again, I'm speaking from experience as I live with two alcoholics (one on the sauce for 50 years, the other on the sauce for 30yrs).

I've taken them to the emergency room, I've picked them up off the floor from bars, I've bandaged their ribs when they were so drunk they fell and cracked them, I've cleaned up the bathroom after they get so blackout drunk they lose control of their bowels and crap their pants (this one happens a lot).

Someone who drinks a handle a day probably doesn't care about what's going on in their body anymore because they don't want to care.

An addict is usually a very proficient liar or deep in denial about something.

>>69740115
Try drinking gin and (tonic/juice/whatever).
>>
Who /gary/ here?
>>
>>69740232
"Slamming shots" has not. That's my point.

Do you really think Pjotr and Mikhail were trying to "race" eachother by seeing who could do the most shots of wodka in 1 hour, back in 1687?
>>
>>69740225
Its more about people having a need to block out pain and a desire for comfort rather than difference in willpower, although that does of course come into it. Most addicts have had trauma or a shitty life that they once enjoyed burying and now are in too deep.
>>
>>69740299

Yeah I know. It's just strange that the need to block something out becomes so strong and so manifested into consumption of a substance

Most people with good upbringings and good lives don't become alcoholics, at least not the types that are completely self-destructive
>>
File: 1434391320849.jpg (42 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1434391320849.jpg
42 KB, 657x527
>>69740365
>Most people with good upbringings and good lives don't become alcoholics
Sorry I cudlnt build a tiem machin & go back in time to tel my parents to rasie me beter
>>
About twice a month I buy one and a half litres of vodka and when I'm, going out, going to meetings, talking with lots of people, I take some of it and keep some in a tiny flask.

I am en expert at controlling my drinking and when I'm just rightly buzzed I'm a smooth mother fucker and get along with everyone so I like alcohol for that. I rarely get drunk, don't like it. Haven't drank now in over a week though since I don't need too.

Sometimes I'll drink beers and other spirits when in the mood, like rum or whiskey but in no way am I an addict. Though life can feel boring without alcohol; vidya, music, even reading can be bettered by a few glasses of alcohol I find.

I hate people who can't control themselves though - I had a friend who was the most talkative, lovely guy when sober but an absolute hellraiser when drunk. He was a lightweight but could drink forever. I once was there when he had two bottle of vodka and about four litres of beer - the cunt was still standing in between short bursts of dozing off.
>>
>>69740365
I think often it happens without people really knowing how deep they are digging themselves its like "oh shit this feels good gonna keep doing this" rather than acknowledging they are just painkilling
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dfaPbH-rmU
>>
>>69740115
Beer, whiskey, rum and 96 mixed with either coffee, warm water and sugar (pons) or warm water and meat broth all taste like fucking heaven. If you don't like the taste of alcohol, but you want to like it, I suggest you start with wheat-beer such as Erdinger (especially their Kristall brand). Or you could just accept that you're a bitch and drink cider or smirnoff.
>>
File: he sobs.jpg (371 KB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
he sobs.jpg
371 KB, 1280x1440
>>69740459
Honestly, i've abstained from drinking because it stops me from being an autist in social situations and I think if I did start it could become a crutch easily
>>
>>69739566
4chan is more addictive and lethal than any drug out there
>>
>>69740575
Alcohol makes you a sperg? First of your kind it seems.
>>
>this thread

Wtf /tv/ are you borderline alcoholic closet drinkers?
>>
>>69740679

>being this surprised people on 4chan drink heavily
>>
>>69740575
>i'm in the worst pain ever, i literally cannot go on any longer Louie
>....do you want a Lucozade??
that moment was topkek
>>
>>69740679
It happens to all lonely people at some point.
>>
>tfw i can drink a litre of vodka and half a litre of whiskey in one night

glad it only happens every saturday night
>>
My time with Anon had come to an end. During our time together, I learned about his general cynicism and misanthropy but also his irrelevant, self-deprecating style of humour and his ability to show compassion forward those who shared his "feels". What had started as a journey into the "dark side of the internet" had become a poignant investigation into the lives of wayward young men. With no community to fall back on and plenty of free time to spend online, they had forged an alliance not out of common interests but common sense of displacement. Although they have been attacked in the media as nazis, perverts and nihilists, the picture I was presented was one of loneliness and desperation. I finally realised that the "Internet Hate Machine" hates nothing more than itself.
>>
File: louistheroux.gif (811 KB, 500x267) Image search: [Google]
louistheroux.gif
811 KB, 500x267
>>
>>69740648
Im saying it stops making a sperg m8, read it again
>>
>>69740724
>>69740728
I was under the assumption people on here were to young to have these problems
>>
>>69740274
I don't think that's true though. Or, I should rather say, I really wonder were you take this from. Sounds to me like you're just making an assumption based on nothing.
>>
>>69740853
I mean if you're an alcoholic it likely begins in your formative years
>>
>>69734701
cider can be more alcoholic than beer though
>>
why are brits such degenerates?
>>
>>69740853
Being moderately drunk and shitposting/baiting on here is some of the best fun a man can have.
>>
George W Bush had autism and he ran a country. Look what he accomplished.
>>
>>69740679
>borderline
>>
>>69740930
He created deep rents in just about every thread of life from which everyone is still recovering.
>>
>>69740679
I'd rather drink alone or with my loved ones without superficial judgement of drunk assholes and the police to meddle in my affairs.
>>
>>69741001
If you can keep yourself from getting plastered though and just maintain a steady buzz, fucking with drunks in the bar is great.

It's how I pass the time when I'm out... besides chatting with the odd qt
>>
>>69734245
i drink in moderation like you should with most things
>>
>>69740612
This is the one self-aware post in this thread

Feeling superior about not drinking while getting anxious if you can't visit your mongolian cuisine enthusiast club.

We all have our weakness, none of us are sacred.
>>
>Did you support Arsenal before the brain injury?

Absolute gold. Thorax will never lose it.
>>
What were you guys' thoughts on the Brain Injury one?
>tfw I just know there's some people out there who think they're all faking it
>>
where do i watch his stuff?
can't find a lot on youtube
>>
>>69741380
dailymotion has some
>>
>>69741372

Pretty tedious, but it's a boring subject.
>>
>>69741380
The whole situation with that family where the mother had the brain injury pissed me off. Its hell for those kids and the husband that they have to tolerate her even though she can't be a wife or a mother
>>
>>69734631
There's a Californian wine by Paul Masson, inspired by excellent French champagne.
You should try it
>>
File: 1460884105367.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1460884105367.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>69741706

Don't ever talk to me or Masson again
>>
>>69740876
Post some proof that Europeans were slamming down distilled spirits until they blacked out.

You're the one making assumptions based on no evidence, cuck.
>>
>>69741312

I know I'm addicted to 4chan, but I always figured it would die/get shut down eventually but here I am 12 years later and it's still going strong. Fuck it, I love 4chan.
>>
>>69740612
Everyone has a vice

Ours is 4chan and coffee for me some people just drink
>>
File: 1437666209792.gif (992 KB, 389x259) Image search: [Google]
1437666209792.gif
992 KB, 389x259
>>69741870
wasn't expecting that, kek'd heartily
>>
>>69742074
Have you never heard of the gin craze? Drunkeness was widely accepted in the 17th and the 18th century.
>>
>>69742167
What if I drink, smoke, 4chan and masturbate? Is that bad?
>>
>>69742688
Do you do it all at the same time?
>>
>>69734324
Same here. Strangely it took only couple weeks/month for me to loose the high. After few beers I skipped straight to the dizzyness without the good feel.

I still love the taste of beer though. I also get the urge to do something "fun" in Fridays e.g get drunk or high. I don't do it nowadays because I know it's no use in the end.
>>
>>69742741
Sometimes.
>>
>>69736785

Truly the words of someone who doesnt understand true alcoholism.
>>
I stopped after I used the rationale that nothing tasted good enough to be that expensive, while also make it harder for me to be a functional human being when I already have enough problems to deal with
>>
>fine during the day
>as soon as 10pm hits, get a sudden urge to drink an ice cold beer or drink a big glass of whiskey
>if I do I want another immediately after
>will keep drinking until 2am or I run out of booze
How do I shake this habit?
>>
>>69745762
get some help laddo and do something that'll take your mind off it before 10
>>
>>69745762
also get some other shit to drink that isnt booze
>>
>>69734889
>''''endure it''''

lol bro it's alcohol it's not hard to drink a lot
bro lol
>>
>>69740299

I used to be a heavy drinker/pothead. To the point of getting stoned when I woke up all day until I went to bed, I even did it at work risking my job because I felt compelled to do it; and if I wasn't stoned it'd be on my mind all night. I tried to stop so many times but it would be like nothing I could do would get it off my mind.

And then i took an acid trip 7 months ago, I never smoked weed after that. It revealed to me that I was depressed and bored with life; and that I smoked weed/drank alcohol to pass the time because life for me was just waiting around to die. It showed me that boredom was my trigger.

LSD has cured me of my addiction to weed and alcohol; I know LSD is risky stuff but I'm telling you bros it can be used to change the lives of people drastically. I believe LSD and psychiatry in a controlled enviroment could be used to save alcoholics and heroin addicts.
>>
>>69746373
I believe it, shrooms are looking that way too
>>
>>69746373
Samefag here

I've had a few trips since then, I usually trip once a month. It gave me the power to knuckle down for the first time in 7 years and get fit enough for a boxing match. For years I tried and always failed to stick to training 6 days a week and eating clean, but thanks to LSD it showed me what I needed to sacrifice to commit and all the steps I needed to take to get me to where I wanted to be.

I won my boxing match and realized it wasn't what I wanted at all.

I tripped again and it showed me that it was all about proving to the world that I wasn't a pussy, it was all about being scared of what people thought of me. After 7 years of martial arts/boxing I've finally quit training for the first time in my life, and I've finally 100% committed myself to buddhism. It's shown me multiple other things which I've been doing wrong and I'm working on them.

I'm going on another trip tomorrow night. I'll drop two tabs and then spend 10 hours listening to Alan Watts or Ajahn Brahm giving buddhist lecures. I'll maybe go for a walk if I feel brave enough.
>>
>people don't do a white month every year
why?
>>
>>69745762
I don't know, but I have the same problem. Once I start, I don't stop til I pass out or it's gone. Thus, I never buy in bulk. 12-pack of beer or a pint of whiskey at most.

I also mitigate this by starting late so that what meager stash I have will run out when the stores are closed, so no chance of drunk driving and re-upping.
>>
>1.5L vodka in one sitting
Not bad!!
>>
>>69739676
>feel sorry for the people who cant
Everyone can ,at first.

Basically as soon as you go over the line with X, you can't have a healthy relationship with X anymore unless you first abstain for like 20 years.

IT's the same with 4chan. There are people in this thread who just view 4chan as a website, and there are people in this thread who are currently on 4chan even though their life is collapsing around them. The second type needs to leave 4chan for 20 years. Only a few will do this.
>>
>>69746497

>I quit training

I can understand not wanting to train for the wrong reasons, but why not find a smaller, more traditionalist dojo and train just for the fitness and self-discipline?
>>
>>69746781
>>69745762 here
This exact behaviour is what killed my Gran. I think it's some form of depression, where you can't be arsed to go to bed because you don't expect anything of the next day and you drink because you're too bored to stay up.
>>
>tfw only not an alcoholic because I literally have no money at any given time
>>
>>69746373
>>69746497
based

I wonder if the reason why my shit has gone off the rails over the years is because I quit doing psychedelics a couple times a year. I had a streak of bad trips, even under ideal circumstances, and just gave it up. It was the right decision at the time, but I wonder if it'd do me some good now.
>>
>>69734245
You make is seem like having a beer once in a while is a bad thing.

There is a difference between enjoying alcohol as a normal sane human and completely abusing
>>
>>69734324
>I have no idea why I use to drink so much.

Alcohol is a drug and that's a normal reaction of former drug users.
>>
>>69746983
Sounds about right. Sorry about your Gran.

>see you soon
>>
>Aurélie's boyfriend who is drunk as fuck during the middle of the day
SO sad.

They are pretty articulate for people who are drunk tho.
>>
>>69746828
Addiction is closely linked with depression, if you dont have any mental problems, being heavily addicted to something is not very likely.

You "checking 4chan everyday" is not really a proper addiction.

Unless you do it to cancel out your own reality. Which means you have some for of depression/mental health issues. Which confirms the link between them.
>>
File: 1320245080091.png (351 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1320245080091.png
351 KB, 500x334
>thread about substances with vastly more detrimental effects than beneficial
>users come in defending their habits and saying it's "OK in moderation"

Every time.
>>
>>69747366
After a while it just stops affecting you. My boss knows a guy that's a proper alcoholic. He's a plumber and drives his van around even though he drinks like 20 beers a day. Still does his job although he probably shouldn't.

That said, the landlady of my local is also a total pisshead and she's incomprehensibly shitfaced by 11pm most nights.
>>
>tfw finished my rum yesterday night
>tfw out of alcohol
>tfw can't afford more
what do?
I think my parents don't want to give me any more money and it's almost 2 weeks til pay day
>>
>>69747513
>what do?
The hardest thing in the world, actually face your problems.
>>
>>69747482
I've interacted with alcoholics.. They usually are completely incoherent, slurring words etc.
>>
>>69747448
>Implying beer is not good for you
>>
>>69747664
Depends on their drink and how far into their bender they are when you see them
>>
>>69747664
it varies
>>
Can we all shut up for a second and acknowledge internet addiction is the worst?
>>
>>69747642
I don't like that idea at all
>>
File: orsonlouis.png (1 MB, 1040x700) Image search: [Google]
orsonlouis.png
1 MB, 1040x700
>>69741706
>my time with Orson had come to its end
>>
>>69747707
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>69747707
why is it?
>>
>>69747707
Wasting your life doesn't kill you any quicker
>>
>>69734245
I don't really understand the whole "Addiction to alcohol" thing.

I enjoy drinking, but it's not exactly addictive. If I'm in the mood to get completely shitfaced, then I'll do that every once in a while, but usually I don't drink, and when I do drink, I don't get blackout, just drunk enough to have a good time.

Hangovers are the fucking worst, it's not worth dealing with that shit, especially if you're not doing anything fun, or you're not hanging out with qts or something.
>>
>>69747825
You dont understand addiction at all then, read the thread
>>
>>69734967
Reminder that the original has been up for months, and we don't need to keep posting the meme version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTU8WbTbZMI
>>
Glad I'm no alcoholic. I love drinking too much, but I'm Asian and I have that thing that keeps us from drinking our livers off. I was addicted to gambling for 15 years. Addiction to anything is the worst. It's a slow, painful, miserable existence. It kills me when someone just days, "why don't you just stop?" Hard to do when you literally feel demonically possessed by your desires over half of the time.
>>
>>69747825
>Having hangover
You either never drink or drink a fuckload when ya do.
>>
>>69747482

Depends on how your body metabolizes alcohol.

Some people get to the point where drinking does little to effect how they behave but if they stop drinking every day, they fucking die.

Some people actually lose tolerance and fiend for the first drink like a junkie and get hammered after only a couple. If they stop drinking every day, they fucking die.

There are so many drugs where quitting cold turkey will suck but won't kill you, I don't know how alcohol got a pass.

I guess it's just been around too long.
>>
>>69747920
>half a bottle of liquor
>fuckload

You sipping tiny glasses cake boy?
>>
>>69747972
>I guess it's just been around too long.
And almost everyone does it, but the vast majority are fine
>>
>>69748002
The fck u talking about m8?
>>
>>69748008
whats your point?
>>
>>69747972

for comparison - a heroin withdrawal will brutalize you but it WON'T kill you

if you're an alcoholic and stop drinking it might very well kill you
>>
File: alcohol is humanity's friend.jpg (140 KB, 1279x960) Image search: [Google]
alcohol is humanity's friend.jpg
140 KB, 1279x960
>>69740099
That's a lie. All you feel is a shortness of breath, a dryness of the mouth and a desperate longing when you know the time is nigh. Then, as you feel it burning down your throat, you feel a tremendous sense relief, peace and euphoria. Then the next day there's the bloody shit and vomit of course, but that wears off by the evening and then it's party time!
>>
>>69734854

To be fair, olden time beer was used for hydration because the alcohol content was lower but still high enough to be safe to drink.

But you're right though, beer is delish and that dude's a pussy
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
People say alcohol's a drug.

It's not a drug, it's a drink.
>>
>>69747920
I understand fatty food addition. I understand social addition. I understand any sort of addition that increases those dopamine levels, where you're rewarded physically for partaking in that action.

Alcohol is different, though. You're punished for drinking. Yeah it's a delayed punishment, but at times a severe one. There's no sort of pleasure you get from Alcohol. Maybe a feeling of apathy, however you're still emotional, and things still hurt. There have been times where I've been way sadder with alcohol than without, and if you drink to excess, you just pass out and wake up the next day feeling like shit.

Alcohol addiction is just baffling to me.
>>
Joe did it. He had a moment of lucidity!!
>>
>>69748394
>There's no sort of pleasure you get from Alcohol
Are you serious? What is dopamine?

Also, the ups and downs have their own appeal.
>>
>>69748394
That's why you begins drinking again once you wake up!
>>
SHOW ME THE WAY TO GO HOME
>>
>>69747386
>You "checking 4chan everyday" is not really a proper addiction.
Yes it is, for a lot of people. "You're here forever" is only funny because it's true. 4chan has exactly the same properties as a slot machine. Every now and then you see something interesting, so you keep grinding.
>>
>>69748394
>There's no sort of pleasure you get from Alcohol
evidently you haven't had rum
alcohol high is one of the best feelings there is
>>
>>69747758
>Wasting your life doesn't kill you any quicker
Yes it does. It causes dementia, which puts you into a lower socioeconomic class, do you die quicker.
>>
>>69748686
Rum is probably my favorite drink, and don't get me wrong, I enjoy getting drunk, but it's one of those once in a while things, it's not something I want to regularly do.

And I wouldn't consider being drunk "One of the best feelings there is". It's just sort of fun being so open about everything and being able to enjoy anyone's company, regardless of how you feel about them sober. Alcohol brings people together, and that's probably why it's the most abused drug.

I just don't understand alcohol as a life style. Yeah it's fun, but drinking alone really isn't fun, and doesn't really feel good. It feels the same as what I'm doing right now, just sitting here alone. Then the next day you just feel like shit. Yeah, there's people that wake up and slam half a fifth and get right back on with their day, but you can't live like that for long without feeling like absolute shit. Even while drunk you'll be constantly sick and nauseous and it won't be enjoyable.

I understand alcohol dependence, because at a certain point, if you drink long enough your body can't live without it, and you need to keep going or you'll have to suffer through horrible withdrawal symptoms, possibly even death.

I just can't ever imagine getting to that point.
>>
>>69748683
I actually took 2 days off 4chan. Didn't miss em. If you're addicted to this site you must be addicted to refreshing your browser also like a tweak
>>
>>69748900
>I actually took 2 days off
You've lost perspective. Why would that even be something impressive, to not go on a specific website for TWO DAYS.
>>
So is it just me, or has anyone else thought, that the guy, who was allegedly drinking a bottle of vodka everyday for three years, was just a hired actor? All his scenes felt scripted.

Can anyone confirm that?
>>
>>69748871
I enjoy craft ale and top shelf spirits alone. I sip and take time because it tastes good. I drink some cheap beer like pbr when I'm socializing. Drinking cheap, rotgut booze alone. That's what's gonn a get ya. Drink alone, drink the good, pricier stuff only
>>
>>69734245
Never had a drink in my entire life and have an extremely hard time understanding why people do it. So people hate each other so much that they need something to tolerate their company?
Jeez. Get better friends I guess?
Just slightly worse than being an edgy smoker past your teens. I'll always wonder why people like to kill themselves so early into the run.
Fat people, drug addicts, drinkers and smokers. Just kill yourselves, all of you.
>>
File: top lou.png (914 KB, 1007x833) Image search: [Google]
top lou.png
914 KB, 1007x833
For everybody not in the Americas, it's May 20 now.
Happy birthday, Louis!
>>
>>69748394
>if you drink to excess, you just pass out
You got it. I can't sleep worth shit except the one or two nights a week I get blackout drunk
>>
>>69749155
>Never had a drink in my entire life
>have an extremely hard time understanding why people do it
you are either underage or autistic or both
>>
>>69749210
Eventually you get tired enough and you will sleep. Insomnia is the worst excuse for alcohol.
>>
File: 1463145015987.png (3 KB, 343x543) Image search: [Google]
1463145015987.png
3 KB, 343x543
>>69734450
>When will this meme die?

Never, because it isn't a meme. Alcohol is poison. Delicious, amazing fucking poison.
>>
>>69749259
Literally not true. I live it. You do not know.
>>
>>69749242
Or maybe he's a member of a community that figured out that there is literally no long-term benefit to messing with your mind?

I figured this out, but I'm already too old to be extremely successful. I'll pass the lesson on to my children.
>>
>>69748284
GOAT tv show
What the fuck is Morris up to now
>>
>>69749309
>Literally not true

That's how the body works friendo. If you're averaging 1-2 hours of sleep a night, or even less, there's going to be a point where you crash. Unless you're constantly bombarded with some sort of shocking stimuli, then you will just pass out.

You're not passing out because of alcohol, you're passing out because you're piss tired.
>>
as someone who suffers from alcoholism and drug addiction, it's not a fucking joke .. stop now or it will kill you .. ive lost too many friends and almost died myself too many times dudes .. its hard but possible DO IT!
>>
>>69749327
Everybody gets high on something whether its drugs or exercising. I get high on both. My life is wonderful. Being fit and proud of my body makes me not want to overindulge
>>
>>69749646
>Everybody gets high on something whether its drugs or exercising. I get high on both.
But you can see the difference, right?

It's good that exercise gets you high, because it makes you associate good feelings with getting healthier.

Drugs make you associate good feelings with either getting unhealthier or staying the same.

Successful people have the hedonic map of a caveman. Survival and improvement are pleasurable, everything else isn't.
>>
>>69749715
>exercising = healthier

TRIGGERED

HEATHLY AT ANY SIZE YOU PISSLORD
>>
>>69749780
This.
>>
>>69747448
detrimental to what? your workplace productivity? oi vey, good goy
>>
>>69734448
Are you not allowed to eat swine because it would be cannibalism?
>>
>>69749983
Thats an insult to pigs.
>>
>>69734458
>rape in moderation
that's all I got from that post
>>
File: 1452205696673.jpg (54 KB, 650x924) Image search: [Google]
1452205696673.jpg
54 KB, 650x924
>>69734245
Britain's favorite drug is their piss beer?

USA will stick with it's prescription pain killers.
>>
>>69750008
sry porkers, swine are actually very lovable animals. I don't recall the last time a pig has ever beheaded anyone
>>
>>69734631
Maybe if you're a kid.
>>
>>69734631
it may be a weak ass pussy drink for absolute faggots, but Hooch is tasty as fuck
>>
>>69750124
hooch is great with a bit of turner
>>
>>69749715
>Successful people have the hedonic map of a caveman. Survival and improvement are pleasurable, everything else isn't.

How do i reprogram my hedonic map to this?
>>
>>69750259
You'll never forget that degenerate things are pleasurable, so you have to choose to act as if you had the correct hedonic map.

The only solution that I've ever seen actually work (and the one that finally worked for me) is to be convinced that God is real, and follow his instructions.
>>
>>69740889
This. The people I've known who developed serious drinking problems invariably started young and were drinking HARD and frequently in their high school years.
>>
>>69734854
>lol le beer actually tastes bad everyone is pretending

there was an xkcd strip not long ago that literally stated this, completely straight-faced
>>
>>69734631
UNDERAGE DETECTED
>>
>>69747664
There's three different guys in my town (with about 500 inhabitants) who are all alcoholics and all between the age of 56 and 62. One of them looks and smells like you would imagine a raging alcoholic would, a tall, lanky fucker with a shaggy beard, unwashed clothes and hair, a big golden ear-ring and he smells like something dead that was just pulled out of a lake after 3 weeks. He cant walk properly, but doesn't have shakes to the point where you could mistake him for someone with parkinsons. He's able to work, atleast to some extent and doesn't really slur to bad. Apart from the smell and the unclean appearance you couldn't possibly tell that he's a raging alcoholic when he's prime drunk, which is usually after 10 beers or so. He's the youngest one and has had 6 heartattacks. Could drop over dead at any moment.
The second one, the middle one, age 57 is just as big a drinker, hasn't been sober for as long as anyone can remember. Looks like a healthy, jolly old fellow. Not morbidly obese, but fat. Has a drunkards face, a nose as red as Rudolph's. Is clean enough, doesn't have any noticeable shakes and could easily be mistaken for a functioning, stand-up citizen. Never had any health problems, works as a life guard at the local swimming pool (really surprised people allow this) and is verry social and well liked, and no one seems to mind his drinking. Looks to be fully functional in every way and has a steady job.
Part 1/2.
>>
>>69750329
What does God have to do with this? Am i supposed to be motivated by his wrath if i "sin" or?
>>
>>69747664
>>69750406
The oldest one doesn't have any teeth left, shakes like a parkinsons patient during an earthquake, can't really eat anymore, but seems to have relatively good personal hygiene. Has been unemployed for well over 30 years now, and can't really do anything other than drinking. Brews moonshine. Has only ever been hospitalized once as far as I know, when he started throwing up a lot of blood a couple of years ago. Is also turning senile.
Even though they're all about the same age, one of them looks like he's already dead, one looks like a pretty normal 95 year old, and another looks like a normal fat man who enjoys a glass of scotch.
People handle it differently, both physically and mentally, and at different speeds. They all end up sick and prematurely dead due to their alcoholism anyways.
>>
>>69750478
No, you don't have to have any preconceived notions of God. In fact, if you bring preconceived notions into it, that just proves you're not really convinced.

Start with the basics. Is there a God? If not, why do you know you should change? There's no logical reason based in this world. You'll die either way, just like everyone will, and eventually it won't matter what sort of life you had.

So why do you know you ought to change? Who is telling you that? Identify that person, and follow his instructions as much as you can. He can't have any worse ideas than you do.
>>
>>69749064
You mean the guy who ended up living with his dad in Brigthon? It felt really contrived, but that was clearly because he was out looking for attention. Seemed like a major pussy.
>>
>>69750329
So you've accepted the Profet Muhammad and the one true faith of Islam into your heart? Good to hear.
Alhamdulillah my brother.
>>
>>69750893
it wont last long bro, but goodluck
>>
>>69750690
>why do you know you should change?
The same reason i do anything. To achieve less pain and more pleasure.

I am not trying to fedora you here but i honestly don't understand the sudden jump to God in this process.

What if i wake up tomorrow and instead of going for a run and having a productive day i just jerk off and eat pizza, is that Satan telling me to do that? Or is it just years and year of reinforcing certain neural pathways?
>>
>>69751002
>The same reason i do anything. To achieve less pain and more pleasure.
From my experience, you can never get out of your rut by thinking like that. Because that's how your brain already operates. Your brain has calculated that you should be doing EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING, according to pleasure/pain calculations.

The truth is, going straight is very hard. It's painful. And then you get sick and die anyway.

I think addicts have accidentally stumbled onto a great truth, but they haven't thought it all the way through. There really is no fundamentally good reason to go straight, if you're a materialist. There's no reason to become an addict, either. There's no reason to do anything.
>>
>>69750960
Shakar?
>>
>>69751114
>Your brain has calculated that you should be doing EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING, according to pleasure/pain calculations.

I think it's little more nuanced than that. Your lizard brain is programmed for prefering short term and intensive pleasure. So things like binge drinking or orgasms. From my experience these things lower your long term pleasure levels and it's all about tricking your brain into doing shit like excercising, eating well or meditating. Things that might not be pleasurable right away but make your average "idle state" in which you spent most of your life way more pleasurable.

These tricks are something i am trying to perfect and if God is one of them them i'd use it right away but i guess i am too autistic to understand the mechanics of how to God.
>>
>>69749715
I actually exercise more than I get drunk or high but I don't unwind when I workout. I feel great and enjoy it but it's not relaxing. Drugs and booze, in moderation allows me this
>>
>>69751447
>i guess i am too autistic to understand the mechanics of how to God.
It's not a matter of autism. I'm pretty autistic myself, and I figured out pretty early on in my life that you can get a scientific theory of the whole physical world that doesn't include God.

I didn't try to convince myself that God exists. I honestly came to that conclusion by being autistic about some evidence I had never noticed before.

Which are the following:
>the fact that I have subjective experience
>the fact that I know what I ought to be doing whenever I "listen", and this knowledge has no relation to any cost/benefit calculation I can imagine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsAzlFS91A
Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.