[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Idris Elba cast in The Dark Tower movie.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: 960.jpg (75 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
75 KB, 960x540
http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/18/first-look-idris-elba-looks-every-bit-the-gunslinger-on-the-dark-tower-set-5889693/

Really glad to see this amazing series finally brought to the light. What do you think, /tv/?
>>
The movie's already out buddy
>>
>>69710294
I'm from the future.

32%
>>
At least its not another "muh slavery" movie.
>>
>>69710294
I dunno, I'm not going to say Roland has to be white, but it just seems like the newest in a long line of unnecessary changes.

Honestly I haven't heard 1 thing thats made me excited for this, they're going to ruin muh book.

Not trying to bait or shitpost, but what have you guys heard to really look forward to this?
>>
>black
>overweight
They just don't care at all. Fuck this piece of shit. In what context does a black gunslinger make any sense?
>>
>>69710733
nothing. it's unnecessarily forcing talented black actors into non-black roles. it's only fair to expect a remake of Django with Ryan Gosling playing the lead.
>>
>>69710733
Idris Elba is in it. Memes aside he's a Viggo-tier screen presence and I'm really excited to see him being properly utilized as a leading man.
>>
>>69710843
Historically, there were a ton black cowboys. Newly freed slaves and black civil war vets headed out to frontier in record numbers, which makes sense when you think about it.
>>
>>69710848
I got no hate for Idris Elba, but I also dont think he can single handedly turn this shitshow around.
>>
>>69710294
BIG
>>
>>69710848
I can't believe the nigger cock slurping that Elba inspires
>>
>>69710294
I know a little about the Dark Tower series, not a huge fan. But I hate Idris "I am literally on the same level as Nelson Mandela because I played him in a movie" Elba, so I'm not happy about him getting more work.
>>
>>69711073
DARK
>>
Watch now they will make Susanah a racist white woman
>>
>>69711045
And that's fine, however the book isn't necessarily drawing from direct history, it has more influence from western's like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
>>
File: vm.gif (1018 KB, 375x167) Image search: [Google]
vm.gif
1018 KB, 375x167
>>69710848
>he's a Viggo-tier screen presence
>>
>>69711129
TOWER
>>
Are the books actually good?
>>
>>69711418
I'm on the third right now, the second one is the best so far. Parallel universes, time travel, mind control, giant lobsters, Trains that can talk. Shit like that.
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 183x276) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 183x276
>>69711418
It's been almost 10 years, but my 16 year old opinion was that it was very good, and it actually sparked my reading interests. It's still the longest series I've ever finished.

Looking bad its like if someone forced King to make a comic book, but then he ended up making a story out of it because he liked it.

Definitely spookier than any comic I've ever come across though, and I know a lot of people that read them during times of more frequent hallucinogenic use as it does have a way of slowly dissolving the standard boundaries of reality.

7 books is long as fuck, but if you even vaguely like Stephen King you would probably get a kick out of at least starting it, a lot of the weird concepts of King's other work wash up on the shores in the world of the Tower. The first book is the GOAT book - you can read that, look up the ending, and you get the basic idea.
>>
I can't wait for the shitstorm over that ugly bartender near the beginning begging to get blacked.
>>
>>69711418
I liked the series a lot. The first 2 books are very good and not too long. They drew me into the series real easy.

4, 5, and 7 are pretty long at 700+ pages, and the series slowed down a bit at 4.

But overall they're probably some of the best books I've read.
>>
Are we all forgetting that these books went to TOTAL shit on the 6th and 7th?

3 was the high point, 4 was unnecessary, 5 was a 7 samurai rip off that was mildly interesting, and 6/7 were total shit shows.

I can't even imagine these movies being good if they come even near close to fully adapting the series.
>>
Stringer's got it covered
>>
>>69710733
Where was it said that Roland is white?
>>
>>69713082
When they revealed he literally looks like Steven king.
>>
>>69713082
Second book. Many times.
>>
I like Idris Elba, and don't really know or care about the story. If it matters for the story, then that sucks, I guess, but I don't really care.

As far as all of this being to push a kind of post-national, post-ethnic globalist vision of the world though, I'm not really a fan of that. I don't think it's good for anyone. Cultures should produce their own art and media, not mix it all up completely. This unrealistic tokenism doesn't reflect actual reality as it is so far and is just kind of corny and forced.
>>
>>69713082

When Detta doesn't trust him because he's white. It's said repeatedly. He's called a honky motherfucker, a white devil, a blue eyed devil. He's definitely white in the books (that you obviously didn't read).
>>
>>69711082
it's like every cuck in denial picks one black actor to suck off so they don't feel like they are one
>>
>>69713082
>not knowing Roland is King's version of Clint Eastwood
>not knowing that Roland is described several times as being white

wew lad
>>
>>69713610
I believe you meant to say "Honky Mahfah"
>>
>>69711988
This is why I'm against the movie. It reduced the first book to some flashbacks and is starting with book 3.
>>
>>69710294
January release. That is all.
>>
>>69713802

My favorite one was when Roland was like, "Us 'honk mahfahs' can tread water for an awful long time" or whatever.
>>
>>69713975
That bit nearly had me in tears.
>>
Matthew would be perfect for Roland, why did he refuse?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.