[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ten episodes in. Does it ever stop being a monster-of-the-week
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: The-X-Files-T-1920x1080_v2.jpg (40 KB, 556x313) Image search: [Google]
The-X-Files-T-1920x1080_v2.jpg
40 KB, 556x313
Ten episodes in.

Does it ever stop being a monster-of-the-week format and turn into an overarching story? The meetings with Deep Throat have tapered off, sharply.

Does Scully ever quit shooting down every single one of Mulder's theories with her anti-skepticism or is she an unbeliever the whole time? If so, I might have to drop it. There have already been multiple times where the only explanation is the existence of otherworldly forces and a unchanging protagonist is boring af.

So far, it's a good show but it's so frustrating being "in the know" way before the main characters rather than following them to their conclusions. Does the style of storytelling ever change?
>>
>>69672281
Youll enjoy as the show goes on. Just keep watching. Although it wont work if you watch them one episode every sitting, you need 3 at least. Also some episodes you can skip but check on the wiki if they are related to the seasons plot or just a monster of the week. Scully mellows out.
>>
>>69672329
Oh yeah I am enjoying it. I'm just predicting that I'll get tired of the dynamic if it never changes for 9 seasons, 20+ eps each. But I literally just finished the one where Deep Throat stops the bureau from firing him for going against orders and it pulled me right back in.
>>
There's a story that develops into as big a formula as the monster of the week stuff. It's enjoyable, but never really satisfying

I got midway through the third season and put it on hold for other shows. The constant formulaics, subpar monster of the weeks and lack of any resolutions started to wear me down. Plus Clyde Bruckman was just so fucking good that everything else looked bad by comparison. I'll pick it back up eventually
>>
Get a few seasons in and you'll realize the mytharc is complete shit.

Darin morgan and Vince Gilligan MotW episodes are the heart of the show.

The combination of episodic and serial made the show unique at the time, but the stand alone episodes are by far the best.
>>
>>69672281
It's all there.

If you pay VERY VERY close attention to the varying stories in the MOTW episodes (most especially in the 1st season) you will see a correlation that connects them into a larger story.

The down-side of this is that it never leads anywhere and a whole other story develops early in S2.
>>
The MOTW stuff is really what makes the show what it is.

The conspiracy story line ends up being a bit of a letdown, and is at its best when it's sort of lurking in the background of an episode anyways. Sort of like Lost - the mystery was a lot more fun than the actual result.
>>
>>69672505
If you're talking abut the Scully/Mulder dynamic, they both slowly evolve with Scully becoming less skeptical and Mulder becoming less of a nut
>>
>>69672281
ayy lmao
>>
>tfw don't want to watch the show because I know they just drop mulder for like a whole season
Feels weird desu
>>
>>69672281
I like Monster of the week episodes. If I wanted a story I'd watch a hbo show or a movie
>>
>>69677922
those seasons are still decent
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 400x300
I always wonderd what would happen if mulder went unhinged
>>
>>69672281
>Does the style of storytelling ever change?
there's more comedic episodes in the middle, most are good fun
>>
>meetings with deep throat have tapered off

>mulder, we can't keep meeting. it's too dangerous. this is the last time
>calls him 16 more times
>thinks he's being investigated and spied on
>puts big x on his window to signal he wants a meet with his super secret info pipeline
>>
millenials will never understand having to wait every week for a new episode of comfy tv

go back to your Game of Thrones subreddit
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.