[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cannes day 6. Today Loving and Personal Shopper. Loving morning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 6
File: 22x30_72.jpg (524 KB, 624x850) Image search: [Google]
22x30_72.jpg
524 KB, 624x850
Cannes day 6.
Today Loving and Personal Shopper.

Loving morning screening just ended, you can check twitter for the first reactions
>>
Loving has middling/bad reviews.

Fandor review roundups: https://www.fandor.com/keyframe/category/daily
micropsia poll: http://www.todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2016
Screening times: http://wask.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Grille_Cannes2016_wask.pdf
>>
>>69587502
i haven't been following cans this year. anything genuinely good yet?
>>
>>69587933
toni erdman and paterson seems to be the favorite for now
>>
>>69587876
Well What I read from french critics at least is that they either love it or hate it. No mixed critic at all.
Some were moved to tears, some think Nichols showed a complete lack of style.
I believe it's because Loving isn't about the big story of racism but simply about the daily life of an interracial couple. They can't handle Nichols simplicity, they want the big show.
>>
>>69587502
The various polls:
http://www.todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2016
http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/cannes/cannes-toni-erdmann-sets-screen-jury-grid-record/5103942.article
http://www.ioncinema.com/news/film-festivals/2016-cannes-critics-panel-day-4-the-jokes-on-you-with-maren-ade-toni-erdmann
http://icsfilm.org/features/cannes-2016-the-grid/
http://www.lefilmfrancais.com/tags/3094/etoiles-de-la-critique
>>
>>69587982
thanks. jarmusch is in good form? cool.
>>
>>69588380
what
does
the
acronym mean

tell me

please god in heaven above

ill stop calling you people pedophiles if you just tell me what it means

WHAT DOES IT MEAN
>>
File: 1439596802893.jpg (42 KB, 544x499) Image search: [Google]
1439596802893.jpg
42 KB, 544x499
>>69587933
>>69588133
>>69588399
impressive, very nice
>>
>>69588399
lurk moar
>>
So Loving is getting shat on?
>>
I only see Clouds of Sils-Maria mentioned here in waifu threads, but it was a brilliant, underrated film, so I've got hopes for Personal Shopper
>>
>>69588202
Paterson looks like Night on Earth for me
>>
>>69588133
>The Handmaiden
i didn't expected that low
>>
Who's the Leicester this year, lads?
>>
>>69587502
I want to see the press reviews of the Neon Demon, i don't know if will be good or bad but will be fun to talk about it
>>
>>69591850
even as a non NFW fan this is clearly what art should do.
>>
Cannes brings out the worst in critics, they live in a small bubble, the context feeds their ego for a week to delirious levels of vulgarity. It also reveals that most of them are simply awful at their job, they behave like children, any critic's tweeter is usually filled with narcissistic bullshit and objective shit taste. Time is always the best judge of a film's merits. And most of the films shown at Cannes get forgotten a week later. The typical contempt for pop cinema or empty stylists mean nothing. PCW and NWR are the obvious outsiders this year, they're the punks, and they're also the most talented visually. Of fucking course a horror film about cannibalism and lolitas or a throwback to 70's Jap pinku BDSM/lesbian films aren't going to generate a consensus from middle-aged out-of-touch morons trying to impress each other with a false aura of "grown man taste" respectability and gimmicky spiteful reviews for whatever doesn't fit their narrow world views.

The element of surprise is always the jury. Miller is a visual punk as well. You can be certain where his sensibilities belong. But even when you get a guy like him in the jury, the rest of them are usually retarded French actresses or clueless Iranian directors who are only there for political reasons.

People like PWC and NWR get pity "best director" awards but they'll never get it for best films, even though everybody agrees their skills and visions are far ahead of others. Cannes is fucking trash, it's filled with enemies of cinema.
>>
>>69591977
NFW*
>>
>>69591977
>>69592139
NWR**
>>
>>69587502
Did you fellas enjoy this little ditty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMq1PiUbf-M
>>
American Honey is being praised in letterboxd
>>
>>69592371
i wouldn't trust letterboxd desu
Critics seems to either love it or hate it
>>
>>69589073
>>69592371
I'm only following the Cinema Scope guys at Cannes.

Blake Williams @Astrostic
Loving (3.9): How do you make a movie about this case, in 2016, that is this devoid of vitality. Feels like a robot made it.

American Honey (4.1): I know Andrea Arnold has been to America, perhaps even many times, but like, HAS SHE?

Jordan Cronk @JordanCronk
LOVING (Nichols): Gotta assume material dictated the form here. But there's no excuse for this being so dramatically inert. C- #Cannes2016

AMERICAN HONEY (Arnold): This is an actual movie. It exists. I've seen it. I cannot un-see it. [D] #Cannes2016
>>
>>69592589
jesus
>>
Cinema Scope @CinemaScopeMag
MIMOSAS: BIRDSONG featuring Lisandro Alonso and Nicólas Pereda.
>>
>>69592589
>in 2016
nice memes
>>
>>69592589
>these pass as "serious film critics"
>>
>>69592984
If you actually read their reviews.
>>
just discovered there's new Larrain (Neruda) on Directors Fortnight today
cant wait for reviews
>>
>>69593040
It screened 3 days ago. Reviews are lukewarm. https://www.fandor.com/keyframe/daily-cannes-2016-pablo-larrains-neruda. 5.67/10 on the Apichatpoll
>>
>>69593105
The Club was very good, i will watch this anyway
>>
>>69593105
Good

Pablo Larrain is the fucking chilean Tom Hooper
>>
I'm glad Paterson is getting such rave reviews. not surprised by Loving getting (semi-) panned.

>>69592371
primarily by Eli Hayes, who, truth be told, lacks any sort of critical judgement. not saying it's bad (I've obviously not seen it) nor that he isn't allowed to like it (art is subjective) but he likes eeeeverything. him endorsing a film says as much as a starving homeless man saying "this is the best hamburger I've tasted!"
>>
>>69594684
kek, so far his worst rating is 3/5
>>
>>69592371
Some critics said was too long and repetitive
>>
>>69595808
I just can't take him seriously.
>>
>>69596279
I don't know this guy but would it not be reasonable to think that he goes out of hsi way to see good/interesting films?
>>
>>69592107
Who, at Cannes, believes Park and Refn aren't talented and skillful directors. 'Oldboy' received the Grand Prix, and Drive won 'Refn' Best Director. Most directors would kill, not only to premiere their film at Cannes, but to also win those awards.

AND isn't PCW's film a front runner for the Palme d'Or, atm?
>>
>>69596631
For The Handmaiden? i doubt it
>>
>>69596337
so does every reasonably intelligent movie-goer, but if you watch and rate 2 500 films, it's not realistic that >50% of the films are 4/5 or more -- especially not if you want to write about films professionally (he covered Cannes for Way Too Indie last year and gave every film he watched at least 8.5/10). in a sense I'm jealous of him; I wish I could enjoy everything as much as he (supposedly) does, but I think a critic (an aspiring one, too) is questionable if he gives the first 50 films in his "best of 2015" a 5/5 or 4.5/5. maybe it's just me that's unrealistically bothered by it, but yeah, it annoys me.
>>
>>69596933
Way Too Indie is not reputable site. I met one of their critics and he was only interested in big name films with celebrities.
>>
>>69596933
if it was 3.5/5 would it be better? if he shifted everything one point or two points to the left woudl it be ok? (don't get me wrong I agree that giving so many films 5/5 or 4.5/5 is ridiculous)
>>
File: n1.gif (3 KB, 300x206) Image search: [Google]
n1.gif
3 KB, 300x206
>>69597736
If you want to give faire ratings, your ratings are supposed to have a normal repartition ( like pic related ). The peak should be at 2.5/5, while i agree that he should seek movies he enjoy, and shifting the courb to the right is reasonnable, for him it's too much. His peak is at 4/5, so it doesn't leave enough margin for precision in his rating. If it was at 3 or 3.5 it would be better imo.
>>
is hong sang soo really making another movie with isabelle huppert at cannes? i read it somewhere but didn't see many people talking about it.
>>
>>69598229
if most of his ratings were 3.5 with a few 3 and a few 4 and then very very few past either end would that be acceptable or shud it be most 3
>>
Man, it's a shame that Loving is getting shit on, i wanted Nichols to finally break into into Oscar game and that seemed like a perfect movie for it. Great casting too, everyone looked exactly like real-life counterparts
>>
>>69592371
They know jack shit about their hobby
>>
http://www.todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2015

They have pretty mainstream taste for so-called "highbrow"critics. It's pretty much the Senses of Cinema end of the year poll without films that were screened outside of Cannes.
>>
>>69599462
>those average ratings
Wew, that's criminal
>>
>>69599462
>The Assassin
>8.89
Jesus, I can't deny it's a beautiful film, but why it's so highly praised? There is clearly an enormous bias towards certain directors.
>>
>>69599462
>All those 10s for Carol and The Assassin
They shouldn't be given like candy
>>
>>69599026
depends on ppl, plus on letterboxd it starts at 0.5, so the median is 3 instead of 2.5, so 3.5 is fine.
>>
I dont keep up with these festivals, but is my fav qt director Nicolas Maduro Refn showing Neon Demon there?
>>
>>69599874
Yes, expect trashing.
>>
>>69599736
I don't give many 10s, maybe 1 10 every 100 films or something but I would seriously consider giving the assassin a 10.
>>
>rating art
The biggest meme of our times.
>>
>>69600827
There's nothing wrong in rating art
>>
>>69600854
Caring about those precious percentages on RT is wrong.
>>
>>69600827
I don't like it in theory but we have to, people only have so much time especially if you don't work in the industry.
>>
>>69587876
So basically

>not MUH EDGY FLICK THAT APPEALS TO BLM
>>
>>69587989
Oh please, can we not do the "critics are dishonest and dumb" dismissals? Film festivals are built on small scale intimate dramas. Maybe it just isn't amazing
>>
>>69592371
The main criticism I've read is that it's ok but way too long, the good parts spread too thin
>>
even though loving isn't doing that well in cannes it'll do well in the u.s. it'll probably get oscar noms just because muh diversity
https://twitter.com/THR/status/732253808504545281
>>
>>69589117
It was a good film. I don't think it was brilliant, but it was good.
>>
>>69599135
If something itll be catnip for the Academy. Critics are irrelevant when it comes to industry awards
>>
>>69596631
It is, the journalist which is covering Cannes for my country said that it was the most applaused movie and seems that Miller loved it.
>>
>>69602256
Not quite. In many stages of the 'race', the critical consensus has weight.
>>
>>69602317
It can win something, but it's not exactly loved by the Critics. I'm guessing Miller could enjoy it.
>>
>>69599462
>The Assasin

I find this shocking, i searched about this movie on internet and everyobody found it boring and pretty bad
>>
http://cannes-rurban.rhcloud.com/2016?t=1#1

http://www.todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2016
>>
>>69603148
how comes Elle already got one review ?
>>
How does it feel that capeshit is more culturally relevant than any film in this competition?
>>
>>69603755
i think nobody really cares about capeshit here
if you ask me, i want that generic bubble to burst, it's sad when film studios like warner don't want to make more original films just for make more capeshit
>>
>>69603755
(You)
>>
>>69598923
Yes. He's filming it on site.

>>69596631
>AND isn't PCW's film a front runner for the Palme d'Or, atm?

No. But PCW/Refn fanboys are going to believe whatever they want, anyway.

>>69599462
Not sure what your intuition of "mainstream" is. There's more of an inverse correlation between what they rate highly and what's rated highly on, say, imdb/letterboxd. Check out how The Assassin, The Other Side or One Floor Below fare compared to Sicario.

Yes, if you take Senses to be "mainstream" then you'd be right. Quite a handful of people that are on the poll also take part in the Senses poll. But it's one of the last publications on my mind when I think of the word "mainstream". If your issue is how the poll is regarded as "highbrow", then just dispense with the word entirely.
>>
Are Europeans allowed to make right-wing nationalist films? Could a film like Die Nibelungen be made today?
I'm not even /pol/, but it seems like 99% of filmmakers lean to the left. And the only ones allowed to make nationalist cinema are from former colonies or other poor countries.
>>
>>69604504
That's just because all the right-wing filmmakers are dumbasses.

I'm sure there are tons of examples of that in modern Russian cinema.
>>
>>69604566
Nice assumption, tumblr.
>>
>>69602728
Dheepan wasn't loved by the critics and got the Palm d'Or
>>
>>69604504
>allowed
That's not what it's about faggot. It's called the free market. People don't wanna pay for that shit. If you're really seriously conservative nationalist you'd be against globalist big business like Hollywood anyway.
>>
>>69603525
There was a press screening few weeks ago in paris. The movie is already reviewed in the May issue of les cahiers and positif
>>
>>69604504
first you have to question who would make those films, who would fund them and who would star in them. That pool of people is pretty low, that's why you're not seeing them.

There are examples though: those Ayn Rand films were privately funded by conservatives and probably did well enough. Never saw them though. They probably aren't overtly conservative.
>>
>>69602399
Just barely though. Mad Max is a prime example but that was quite beloved by the industry. And American critics are mostly cucks so they'll just promote it in the end of the year awards
>>
>>69603755
if you have friends that actually care about capeshit that says something about your social circle and the people you choose to hang out with. No one my age that I know cares about that stuff.
>>
>>69604777
I hope dumb amerilards don't crap on it. They've never understood maestro Verhoeven
>>
>>69604767
>People don't wanna pay for that shit
I though we are talking about art film. People also don't care about them. And yet, what won the Berlin? A documentary about refugees. It's something that really bother me because it seems like the modern auteurs are really out of touch with reality.
>>
>>69604991
More like reality isn't as good as it was 20 years ago
>>
>>69604991
>modern auteurs are really out of touch with reality
I genuinely don't know what you mean by this. Surely making a documentry about refugees is the result of someone who is aware of contemporary problems?
>>
>>69605246
Why aren't there any films portraying the dangers of mass immigration? Right wing parties are getting more popular, people are becoming more conservative. Why is this not reflected in the movies?
>>
>>69604991
>>69605441
Alright, this is just /pol/ shit. Surely you can't be surprised that 99.99999% of filmmakers making art films all (strongly) lean to the left. If you want something equivalent to the right-wing Michael Moore, just look up whoever's affiliated with Putin.
>>
>>69605441
>Right wing parties are getting more popular
maybe in some countries, in others not
>people are becoming more conservative
i doubt this talking in general
>>
>>69605441
It does take a lot to catch up. Many of these films were shot in early to mid 2015, some in 2014. Around that time, no one cared for the rise of the right wing. Besides, this is unfortunately a very left leaning industry. It will however probably change when Turmp gets elected to office.
>>
>>69605533
>it will however probably change when Trump gets elected to office.
Even if trump gets elected, which he wont, how will he suddenly make artists change their political views?
>>
rip cannes thread day 6
>>
>>69605575
Art reflects the state of the society.

I'm seriously questioning Hillary's chances desu.
>>
>>69605607
It had a good run. /pol/ ruins everything.
>>
>>69605613
You don't think artists will be reactionary against trump? Unless you think that Trump will ban certain types of films which seems outside even his insanity.
>>
>>69604868
I don't blame them, capeshit gets a lot of attention on the social media actually, somethig i dont understand at this point when everything is the same
>>
>>69605607
>>69605685
still ~3 hours until we hear anything about Personal Shopper, at least /pol/ will bump it until then
>>
>>69605810
Probably goes up in 10 minutes, I think.
>>
>>69605441
Because storytelling is general built on empathy, it stands that artists who tell stories would side with a humanitarian issue like refugees
>>
>>69605735
Masses tend to follow trends. This doesn't exclude artists, which despite the desire to create art are generally dimwitted. The trend now is to hate Trump despite him being a harmless entity because of an air of racial entitlement and liberal delusion, something that was provoked upon the beginning of the Obama administration.

There will probably still be an opposite party but they are likelier to be seen even tackier and more wannabe as they are now.
>>
>>69605852
oh oops, didn't notice the earlier screening. good shit, this thread only has to last a bit longer then
>>
>>69605991
Dispensing with the shitty insipid /pol/ discussion in a Cannes thread of all places, only early word is that Personal Shopper got boos. Reviews forthcoming.
>>
>>69605810
>>69587502
>Ben Croll @becroll 2m2 minutes ago PERSONAL SHOPPER: well, there's the hot mess we've all been waiting for!

>Peter Debruge @AskDebruge 1m1 minute ago Olivier Assayas' PERSONAL SHOPPER gets first boos I've heard in #Cannes2016 competition (though I missed the poorly received Nicole Garcia).

>Alex Billington @firstshowing 1m1 minute ago Personal Shopper - Wtf? Kristen Stewart text msgs with a ghost half the film. A metaphor of feeling fear as being alive? Idk. That sucked.

>erickohn @erickohn 2m2 minutes ago Alpes Maritimes, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
I get people not liking a slow, ambiguous movie like PERSONAL SHOPPER, but those boos have a real kicking-a-small-child vibe. #Cannes2016

>Nikola Grozdanović @nikgroz 1m1 minute ago PERSONAL SHOPPER is unnerving, super moody & mysterious w/ a seriously great turn by Kristen Stewart.. but...that ending. WTF? #Cannes2016

>Catherine Bray @catherinebray 2m2 minutes ago Personal Shopper was 100% nothing like what I was expecting - full-on ghosts! - but I rather liked it. Kristen Stewart is aces.

>Jason Gorber @filmfest_ca 1m1 minute ago PERSONAL SHOPPER - Sporadic boos at Kristen Stewart starrer. Hard, wacky film to love, but had moments that work very well #cannes2016

>Benjamin Lee @benfraserlee 1m1 minute ago Kristen Stewart tries her best but Personal Shopper is an ill-fitting jumble of espressos, ectoplasm and endless texting #Cannes2016
>>
>>69605984
Mainstream American film is pretty conservative anyway, I don't know why you think someone like terence malick or harmony korine would suddenly start making more right wing films.
>>
>>69606131
A /pol/ discussion in a Berlinae thread could be more chaotic
>>
Peter Debruge @AskDebruge
Olivier Assayas' PERSONAL SHOPPER gets first boos I've heard in #Cannes2016 competition (though I missed the poorly received Nicole Garcia).

david ehrlich @davidehrlich
judging by the boos that PERSONAL SHOPPER just got at #Cannes, it might just be one of the best movies ever made. can't wait.
>>
>>69606181
>implying Malick doesn't make conservative films

He literally had a Christian dinosaur in TToL.
>>
>/pol/
I consider myself a liberal, but I can't help but feel like the modern artists and critics live in a self-congratulatory bubble.
>>
Which ones are coming out as the favorites so far?
>>
>>69606247
Admittably talking in this broad left-wing, right-wing stuff is incredibly reductive but just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you make right wing films (ironically christian ethics is left wing with emphasis on the community over the individual).
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCW6Y9Sx_A0

>I'm not a medium, he was a medium
>>
>>69606252
They do. Same can be said for film culture
>>
>>69606292
Toni Erdmann is the heavy favorite, Paterson behind. But critics and juries rarely correlate. Dheepan is a running joke.

PERSONAL SHOPPER (Assayas): Here's a perversely watchable movie that's probably not very good. Kristen Stewart tho. [C+] #Cannes2016

Diego Batlle @dmbatlle
Primer sonoro abucheo en #Cannes2016 para PERSONAL SHOPPER, de Olivier Assayas, con Kristen Stewart. Para mi no es tan terrible...

David Jenkins @daveyjenkins
Personal Shopper (Assayas) Arthouse meets Blumhouse. Singular, strange always obliquely compelling. Many fascinating choices made by OA.

Seems like most people think it's terrible. Interesting to see if actual reviews echo that, but I never expected an Assayas film to get bad reception at Cannes.
>>
>>69606292
Paterson, Toni Erdmann and Sieranevada
>>
Yeah I've seen far more negative tweets about assayas than positive. Texting in movies triggers me so I'll probably hate it.
>>
>>69606411
I didn't want to derail the thread, but I find films as cultural phenomenon more interesting than films as "just" works of art.
Modern films just don't feel important.
>>
>>69606154
>>69606413
hard to tell if the film sounds really obnoxious or if the critics are just dismissive of the premise off-the-bat. I'll probably still give it a watch since Clouds of Sils Maria was good, but it's a shame either way
>>
>>69606154
Kohn is such a sissy.
Boos are a cannes tradition. It is great to have an audience who react deeply to movies
>>
>>69606614
Demonlover got booed at Cannes too and it's somewhat/pretty favorably viewed by people who like Assayas. But I trust some of these guys, so I don't think it bodes well.
>>
>>69606592
Or rather modern Western films.
>>
>>69606592
Same here. People crapped on me due to preferring Rocky over Tarkovsky shit. They don't feel relevant due to the constant changes in the decade. First, it was the anti Wall Street sentiment, then the racial quotas and now the transgender quotas
>>
Cannes more or less done for the day besides another lesser press screening for the Assayas. Now handed over to /pol/shit. Do your worst.
>>
>>69606614
Most of them are HFPA tier so don't expect the reception to be important at all. But when they boo thorough a film, that's something else
>>
>>69606784
What are you talking about? What does Tark have to do with your imaginary "transgender quotas"?
>>
>>69606760
These are usually more significant than art flicks.
>>
>>69606592
>films as cultural phenomenon
give me good examples actually
>>
>>69606895
Cultural phenomena over arthouse cinema.

I answered the notion about modern films not feeling important.
>imaginary
>>
>>69606784
I literally can't imagine being this retarded. How do you make it look so effortless?
>>
regardless of how good it actually is, Personal Shopper confirmed to be 2nd biggest hit on /tv/ after The Neon Demon
https://twitter.com/PeterBradshaw1/status/732283410035675137
>>
>>69607070
I love his Cannes vlogs.
>>
>>69607059
rofl
>>
>>69607070
>after The Neon Demon
is really that hyped here on /tv/?
>>
>>69607125
it's one of the few films at cannes that people on /tv/ have actually heard of
>>
listening to an interview with Assayas right now. says Bresson was one of two major influences. what bullshit. Renaissance painting motherfucker.
>>
>>69607125

>>69592107
>>69596631
>>69548579
>>69495235

/tv/ tier is The Neon Demon and The Handmaiden
>>
>>69606964
Films as propaganda tools, films that reflected some revolutionary sentiments in the society. Anarchist statements of Jean Vigo, anti-Americanism of Pigs and Battleships, or even nationalist and communist propaganda of Alexander Nevsky.

Good Western art films going against the mainstream liberal narrative are pretty much nonexistent.
>>
>>69607310
Why these two exactly?
>>
>>69607411
>Neon Demon
/tv/'s waifu in sexy scenes
>The Handmaiden
Borderline BDSM porn with lesbians
>>
>>69607371
>/Russia/
>>
>>69607411
Why do you think? Refn and Park are the two most accessible directors based on Drive and Oldboy, and both films likely make a /tv/ top 100 list or whatever. The next most popular directors are probably who? Nichols and Almodovar? Assayas and Dardennes? Not exactly staple names around here.

For people with only cursory interest in art film/film fests/whatever etc, these names obviously stand out.
>>
File: 345984733.jpg (388 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
345984733.jpg
388 KB, 2560x1440
>>69607371

>Good Western art films going against the mainstream liberal narrative are pretty much nonexistent.

they're coming very soon. anarcho cinema is the future.
>>
>>69607671
What about Jim Jarmusch or Shane Black?
Spaniard here, it's Almodovar really that popular outside Spain?
>>
>>69607864
He has two Oscars so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yeah.
>>
>>69607671
https://letterboxd.com/4chan/list/tv-s-top-250-favorite-films/

Drive is 4th, Oldboy is 73rd

>>69607864
Good call on Jarmusch. The special screenings (Allen/Spielberg/Black) are the most popular, yes. As for Almodovar, he seems like a pretty staple voice in contemporary world cinema. Didn't he get nominated for Oscars?
>>
>>69607939
>>69607963
I thought Luis Buñuel was the big guy of the spanish cinema,
I can say a lot of people in the spanish cinema more important than Almodovar, names like Luis García Berlanga, Fernando Fernán Gómez, Víctor Erice, Amenábar or sometimes Isabel Coixet
>>
>>69608275
Also Almodovar popularity it's starting to fade out here, directors like Carlos Vermut will start to occupy his place
>>
>>69608275
No one is saying Almodovar is the best Spanish director, simply that he is the most well known among anglo-american audiences.
>>
>>69608386
I'm curious, there are more spanish cinema on anglo-american countries apart from almodovar? sometimes we are making interesting things here
>>
>>69607864
ShaneBlack is poular amongst genre fans. If you mention him within entry cinephiles they will look dumbfounded
>>
After reading negative reviews here i went to RT to check Loving and it has 100% after 10 reviews lol. Score is pretty low though 7/10 and AVC gave it a C+, so it's probably not to usual Nichols standard quality, but it's also not a Diane-type disaster as post here seem to indicate and Ruth Nega is probably an Oscar frontrunner now.
>>
>>69609048
Jeff Nichols is maybe the least interesting director at Cannes next to Sean Penn.
>>
>>69609180
Yeah, i really like him, but outside of Take Shelter MAYBE his movies are definitely not for Cannes. Don't understand why he even went there with Loving, i have a feeling US reviews are going to be much more positive and it's going to be a big Oscar player with right distribution
>>
It seems like mainstream American critics quite enjoyed The Handmaiden.
>>
Any reviews for Personal Shopper yet?
>>
>>69609048
This, some people said Birth of a Nation could be a Oscar frontrunner due to his themes, but i think Loving is more appealing to the people at this point
>>
>>69609433
I think it's the first film that got booed this year.
>>
>>69609935
wasn't Mal de Pierres first?
>>
>>69609048
D'Angelo's description of it as "borderline sluggish" is hugely disappointing to me, as I feel that describes all his filmsso far. They're too thin to work as slow cinema and too slow to really work as genre movies
>>
>>69610001
You're right, the French critics apparently liked it, though.
>>
>>69610312
I do like Take Shelter. It's only been downwards since then, though.
>>
>>69610762
I liked Shotgun Stories the most. If there's one thing he died well it's creating an authentic sense of place. I love the decaying small town setting
>>
>>69609360
it's the next Blue is the warmest colour?
>>
>>69611886
1. "LA VIE D'ADÈLE - CHAPITRE 1 & 2 (BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOUR)" (Abdellatif KECHICHE) Palme d'Or + FIPRESCI Prize Competition [8.73/85 1.1]

12. "AGASSI (아가씨, The Handmaid, Mademoiselle)" (Park Chan-wook) [5.97/85 1.8]

What do you think?
>>
>>69612201
savage
>>
>>69612201
i was talking more about mainstream american critics
>>
>>69612307
>>69612307
Still no. Blue is a drama with some social themes, The Handmaid from what I've read it's just a silly sleazy film with lots of lesbian sex. Some critics like it for its silliness (or see feminist themes in it) others call it shallow (possibly because they are faggots who don't like watching girls eating each other out).

They say the sex scenes are Blue tier.
>>
Today didn't seem as exciting as the days before.

Any highlights of the day except personnal shopper being booed ?
>>
>>69613507
What it's tomorrow?
>>
>>69606745

No it is fucking not. The people who boo at movies are ingrates and a small step up from apes. Not to mention the fact that many movies that are booed at Cannes are actually masterpieces that mainstream piece of shit journalists don't understand.

If anything the fact that Personal Shopper was booed is a good sign. I'm expecting this will be one of the best movies of the year.
>>
>>69614242
All this. If I was a director, I'd punch anyone who booed and tell them to have some decency to the time and work dedicated to a film for their cuck asses to rip to shreds
>>
>>69599462
>http://www.todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2015
Holy shit, Sicario just a 5.2? Thats harsh. (Although I mainly only really liked it for Emily Blunt)

>>69605441

Maybe you could do a Christian invasion movie like lets say a bunch of white looking guys immigrated from Syria into say, Jordan and they got abused and stuff sort of show how cruel those people are and to contrast with how Europeans have acted and perhaps that would kinda wake some people up "you are ruining your countries and culture for this culture" AND also you could make some sympathetic Jordanians and sort of show how immigration is also a gift from a kind host. So, immigrants shouldn't feel entitled to everything.

That would be right wing but not necessarily evil or NatSoc.

>>69614242
Wasn't fucking Pulp Fiction booed or did I misremember? Thought it was some Quentin movie.

>>69612488
Its both. Honestly, if straight male or otherwise able to masturbate to females, you should just lube up real good and make it an interactive experience like a Hardcore Harry but for lesbian romance movies. The rest of the movie just pull your pants up and enjoy.

Those sex scenes are too incredible not to jack it too, its 2016 God knows you'd get bored and wack off to porn during the movie on your phone anyway.
>>
>>69614242
>>69614348
People care way too much about boos. It's just a visceral reaction and part of the film festival experience. If you've ever attended a fest (at least in my experience), it's (almost) standard etiquette to applaud after a screening. I've never seen a truly atrocious film, but I expect it's just the same thing there.

As for the quality of the film itself, half the time it ends up good and half the time it doesn't. People always say shit like "the movies booed are masterpieces" because of press and how The Tree of Life was treated, but none of you ever remember The Sea of Trees or The Paperboys or the Marie Antoinettes of past years. Even just generally shitty films of a director's work like The Antichrist or Only God Forgives. Boos generally equate to a film defying an audience's expectations. That's it, full stop.
>>
>>69615291
>Maybe you could do a Christian invasion movie like lets say a bunch of white looking guys immigrated from Syria into say, Jordan and they got abused and stuff sort of show how cruel those people are and to contrast with how Europeans have acted and perhaps that would kinda wake some people up "you are ruining your countries and culture for this culture" AND also you could make some sympathetic Jordanians and sort of show how immigration is also a gift from a kind host. So, immigrants shouldn't feel entitled to everything.

This would imply that the alt-right audience could tell the difference between Syrians and Jordianians.
>>
>>69613507
Mimosas received warm reception, but it's mostly for fans of modern avant-garde cinema.

>>69613573
Julieta from Almodovar, Aquarius from Mendonca Filho, Ma'Rosa from Mendoza. There are a few advance reviews for the first two that seem to indicate more warm reception, and I expect the Mendoza to be reviled because of the nature of his work. He's borderline shock porn.
>>
>>69616308
he has literally only done one shocking film. the rest is boilerplate neorealism. His stuff is good if you like that sort of thing.
>>
>>69615610

I didn't mean to imply that every single movie booed is a masterpiece as that is certainly not the case but as you said, it probably does end up being about half the time that the movies turn out to be worthwhile. Marie Antoinette even is completely decent. It's nothing great but nothing in Coppola's career is so the fact that it was booed is still laughable.

And then there are movies like Tree of Life and Southland Tales. My point was more that boos from a Cannes audience are generally hilarious because so many of those audience members can only accept traditional, straightforward filmmaking that doesn't challenge any preconceived notions of how movies should look.

Based on Assayas's history of reception his movies are often polarizing (especially a masterpiece like demonlover) so I'm guessing that this will be one of the times that the Cannes dummies will be way off base.
>>
>>69615291
All you need is an adaptation of Houellebecq's Submission.

>The novel, a political satire, imagines a situation in which a Muslim party upholding traditionalist and patriarchal values leads the 2022 vote in France and is able to form a government with the support of France's Islamo-Leftist Socialist Party.
>>
>>69616537
Houellebecq is a fun troll. it's a shame so many people take him seriously.
>>
>>69607411
Manchildren
>>
>>69603037
>i read opinions of redditors and imdb plebeians (redundancy for redundancy's sake) and take them as fact
Watch it for yourself you asshole
>>
File: capture.png (15 KB, 254x58) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
15 KB, 254x58
does Personal Shopper have any nudity in it?
>>
>>69616439
Which are those? Because the two I've seen (Kinatay and Sapi) definitely fall under that umbrella. Maybe I just got unlucky, because Sapi seems to be the one of the lowest rated films on imdb/letterboxd that I've personally seen. I'd since stopped giving his films chances.

>>69616495
Maybe, but an audience's boos doesn't immediately translate in the reviews. The Tree of Life and The Headless Woman were all still hailed as masterpieces the next morning. I don't know that that's happening with the Assayas. But you're right, it does seem reminiscent of Demonlover

Anyway, on that note:

Gabe Klinger @GabeKlinger
True art movies have become a rarity in Cannes. PERSONAL SHOPPER and MIMOSAS are a couple of exceptions.

Personal Shopper (~6.3): Not sure if this is a movie, what the movie is, who allowed it to be made, etc., but I'm very happy it happened.

MIMOSAS (Laxe): Plays like the spiritual culmination of this Laxe+Rivers project. Also shot by Mauro Herce. Yes plz. [B+] #Cannes2016
>>
>>69603755
Capeshit is something that literally nobody cares for, I don't know how they make money but I don't know a single person (mind you that I am 20 and have a lot of people in my social vicinity) that actually gives a single shit about batman, superman or any of that crap, you will find people talking about SpongeBob with more interest.

How do those movies make money? How can those quirky le nerds and tumblr nu males beta boy feminists and Buttmad cunts actually generate an audience?
>>
>>69616787
>Watch it for yourself you asshole
but i watched it anon
>>
>>69616804
I haven't seen Sapi (is it good? what's shocking about it?) but Kinatay and Serbis are the only ones I'd call controversial, maybe The Masseur if you consider homoeroticism shocking, which I don't.

His other ones I've seen are more humanist morality plays. He needs to hire a better cinematographer either way. Visually they're all so lacklustre.
>>
>>69604504
>Die Niebelungen
>Fritz Lang
>right wing
Kill yourself /pol/ cross poster, you have no idea about art, Hitler at least had taste and actual knowledge you're just looking for anything to lash out against because muh lefties, muh degenerates, muh refugees
And mind you that I say this as an opponent of refugee politics, leftism and feminism
>>
>>69616879
are you sure you're 20? you sound like a 14 year-old edgefaggot.
>>
>>69616537
Except Submission portrays Muslims as the rescuers of western civilization is the face of decay and decadence.
>>
>>69605984
You must be one of those guys that legitimately believe in the white uprising and the race war.

How can someone be so deluded?
Never drink your own cool aid, /pol/ really shat all over itself once it lost its irony and attracted literal retards like you that now spread their idiocy all around this board in anonymity
>>
>>69616944
There's explicit scenes all over, but the major graphic one is a giant snake coming out of a vagina. I wouldn't recommend it, but to each their own.

All this stuff just reminds me of Reygadas, whom I similarly detest, because it just seems like empty grandiose gestures.
>>
>>69617004
It's obviously a satire.
>>
>>69616998
Why, because I despise the nerd culture? I don't care that much about it but it does make me sad that somehow those people are generating so much money that studios cater to them and never set 1 foot out of the comfort zone
>>
>>69616976
>screenplay: Thea von Harbou
>not a Nazi
And I'm not from /pol/.
>>
>>69617150
This is why i started to search more cinema outside of Hollywood years ago
>>
>>69617150
>quirky le nerds and tumblr nu males beta boy feminists
here's a tip: no one mature enough to engage with art and reality talks like this.
>>
>>69617079
Nah m8. /pol/ is as deluded as liberals are
>>
>>69617233
It literally doesn't matter though, it's a German epic and it wasn't even seen as right wing to hate on foreigners, niggers and to slap your wife and kids, that was normal standard behaviour and that movie doesn't portray Germans as Übermenschen or something because it just brings the story on celluloid
>>
>>69617109
How so?
>>
>>69617241
I don't watch anything Jewlywood shits out, it's just sad because you know, even 10 years ago there were smaller films even by big studios
>>
>>69617247
It was a hyperbole to get the point across you dense motherfucker
>>
>>69617388
There's still are. SPC and Focus Features still hand out they're usual small scale shit from time to time. Holy shit, your half assed rant itt screams of daddy issues
>>
>>69617349
>that movie doesn't portray Germans as Übermenschen or something
Yup, especially the second part when a small group of Germans fights against Asiatic subhuman hordes.
>>
>>69617432
>needing hyperbole and SJW strawmen to make some naive point completely divorced from reality
maybe you should just grow up instead. just a thought.
>>
>>69616799
There is a semi nude masterbating scene
>>
bumpu

Peter Bradshaw, who probably has the most solid taste of any critic, gave Personal Shopper 5/5:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/16/personal-shopper-review-kristen-stewarts-psychic-spooker-is-a-must-have?CMP=twt_gu
>>
Personal Shopper is also off to a "respectable" 6.14 on the Apichat poll. Nothing to write home about, but not the unmitigated disaster early tweets seemed to make it out to be.
>>
>>69607864
Almodovar is one of the better-known contemporary directors from the European Continent in the US. Most Americans basically never see foreign films, but the type who do would generally know who he was.
>>
>>69607864
Yes. Penelope Cruz is big here too and stars in a lot of Hollywood movies so that helps. His films get screened in our big name chains, which is unusual for a foreign language film here.
>>
>>69620479
Also, it helps that we have a big Spanish speaking population and many of his other stars are known to the Spanish world.
>>
>People ITT shitting on The Assassin

Fucking philistines
Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.