[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Revenant has grossed $530 million. What the fuck? Birdman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: file.png (80 KB, 250x404) Image search: [Google]
file.png
80 KB, 250x404
The Revenant has grossed $530 million. What the fuck?

Birdman did $60 million and I thought that was great for an "artsy" movie. What the hell attracted mainstream audiences to slow, ponderous shots of forests and snow?
>>
>>69316361
Leo's Oscar

Also just Leo
>>
>Survival
>Oscar bait
>Leo
>>
>>69316361
It had a heavy plot and there is no effort required to follow anything.
>>
LEO
>>
Because it had the "is this the movie Leo finally wins an oscar???" meme which normies ate up for some reason, and judging by the commercials I looked like a brutal action movie.
>>
>go watch it in the theater
>it ends, people are coming out
>thought it was pretty good, even thought Leo was decent
>group of Indians (dot) passes by
>one of them loudly says "what ya it was tooooooooo boring ya!"
>>
>>69316361
People like watching bears attack shit.
>>
That is a surprising turnout, but it's got a MUCH broader appeal than Birdman. There's a ton of exciting set pieces, and Leo actually gets raped by a bear in one of the hottest cross species sex scenes of recent times.
>>
>>69316361
It's easier to follow than Birdman and had the DiCaprio's first oscar appeal. Everyone wanted to watch it in my family I went to the theater like 3 times with different people, everyone loved it and the bear.
>>
>>69316361
Leo. Looked pretty. That's about it
>>
>>69316403
This. I thought it was a great movie but it wouldn't have had nearly the same turnout without the Leo Oscar meme
>>
Even with how "artsy" it ended up being, the base of the movie is a standard revenge action plot, which made it easier to sell.
Compare these two premises:
>man is left for dead and swears revenge
>washed up Hollywood star mistakenly tries to improve his reputation by directing a Broadway play

One of these is a movie that the "average movie goer" wants to see, and the other isn't. Simple as that.
>>
>>69316361
>broader appeal than birdman
>leo's first oscar win

its pretty obvious
>>
>>69316361
>What the hell attracted mainstream audiences to slow, ponderous shots of forests and snow?

Leo, you dumbass, what else?
>>
>>69316361

Wide release vs limited release. Widest release of Birdman was less than a third of Revenant.
>>
File: 1359446663168.jpg (152 KB, 621x621) Image search: [Google]
1359446663168.jpg
152 KB, 621x621
>>69316529
>i have sat in the same seat as an indian
>>
Because they filmed in the cold
>>
>>69316361
Uhm did we watch the same thing? The Revenant was a masterpiece, hence why Leo recieved his oscar he was spectacular.
>>
it's not slow or ponderous though. it's like a babby's first slightly more challenging film, and even when I say that the film is structured around a very understandable and cliche theme (revenge).
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.