[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Green Room bombs >Midnight Special bombs >Captain America
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: gr_web.jpg (248 KB, 800x1185) Image search: [Google]
gr_web.jpg
248 KB, 800x1185
>Green Room bombs
>Midnight Special bombs
>Captain America makes hundreds of millions
>Jungle Book makes hundreds of millions

Fuck disney, fuck capeshit, fuck reboots and remakes, and fuck you casuals that eat up that shit.
>>
Is Green Room the best film of 2016 so far? I think so.
>>
>>69275975
I went and saw green room twice. Even my girlfriend really liked it.

If they gave these movies a marketing budget they'd probably do a lot better but they aren't interested in doing anything that won't make $1bn
>>
>>69276073
>If they gave these movies a marketing budget they'd probably do a lot better

Exactly why I singled out Green Room and Midnight Special. Lots of movies I like I can see why they weren't hits but I can't understand why these weren't given marketing pushes. They both could've been huge success but everyone is so obsessed with tentpoles that great films are being overlooked. It's ridiculous.
>>
>waaah, my favorite flavor of the month contrarian "kino" is a commercial failure
Cry me a river kid
>>
Maybe it would have done better if it had a wider release, and some fucking promotion.
>>
Green Room isn't going to bomb.
It's made more than a million so far and will only continue to get good word of mouth for DVD and Blu Ray sales.
How much do you think it actually cost to make that movie?
A million in a week is good for a film like that.
>>
>>69275975
Both movies were a hard sell on their own. Green Room was great but it's not the kind of movie I would recommend to all my friends.
>>
>>69276235
Ooh I'm interested in hearing what your favorite movies have been this year.
>>
>>69276347
It took 5 mill to make.
>>
>>69275975
Green room isn't what most people consider fun. Don't blame the masses for not sharing your frankly weird tastes for purposefully unlikable characters being murdered by skinheads.
>>
>>69276439
Yet people flocked to see something like Saw. People flock to see violence all the time.
>>
>>69276235
>Green Room flavor of the month
You literally going to be eating those words once you see how great it is.
>>
>>69276411
yeah, and if you think it won't make it back you're a fucking retard
>>
>>69276411
That seems pretty fucking off for a gore film mostly set in one location. Only thing I can think of is Patrick Stewart's salary lol.
>>
>>69276497
Well not literally but yeah anon is wrong about it being flavor of the month. One of the best thrillers I've ever seen.
>>
Life is unfair, kid. You better get used to it.
>>
>>69275975
Neither of them played in theaters anywhere near me. Not my fault they don't give these flicks wide enough releases.
>>
There was literally no way Green Room was going to make anywhere close to Civil War or Jungle Book, even if Civil War and Jungle Book weren't well known properties. Unlike those two it really isn't a movie made for general audiences.
>>
>>69276489
No, they didn't. Do you know what the biggest domestic gross was for a saw film? $87 million for Saw II. And it went exponentially down from there. They made as many saw movies as they did because they were cheap to produce, and thus made a profit anyway.

But a summer blockbuster makes more money than Saw in its first weekend. They're not in the same league of a Captain America or Jungle Book.
>>
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=a24.htm

A24 makes some really great movies... They just don't do well.
>>
>>69276411
A24 has been giving indie movies the Green Room treatment for years now.
It's going to make money, trust me, they'd be out of business otherwise. They know what they're doing.
>>
It's too bad they only plugged the most normie punk like DK and the Misfits
>>
File: 1438901528582.gif (1014 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1438901528582.gif
1014 KB, 500x280
>>69275975
>>Green Room bombs
>>Midnight Special bombs

No wonder, both are fucking shit.
>>
>>69276691
Me either and my area isn't really that small. We even have a Poo in Loo flick playing all the time here.
>>
People relate to skin heads positively and don't want to see the good guys portrayed as bad.
>>
>>69276636
I thought Blue Ruin was okay. Is this one better?
>>
File: green room grill.png (263 KB, 480x510) Image search: [Google]
green room grill.png
263 KB, 480x510
>>69275975
muh punkfu
>>
>>69277143
Yeah.
>>
>>69277143
Better in every way. While I thought Blue Ruin dragged in places myself, Green Room is tense for like 70 minutes straight without dropping a beat.
Movies don't get to me ever and even I was like on the edge of my seat the whole time wondering what was gonna happen.
>>
>>69276913
Poison Idea and Cro-Mags are mentioned and a Fear vinyl is very briefly played.
>>
File: green room.jpg (106 KB, 864x1280) Image search: [Google]
green room.jpg
106 KB, 864x1280
>>69275975
During the band's interview with the Nazi's cousin at the beginning of the movie, he asks the band why they're nearly impossible to find online and why you basically can only listen to them live.

One of them responds saying that music is meant to be experienced live to get the full experience. To really take in the energy of the moment to its fullest

Then there's a scene during their performance for the Nazis where they're shredding and the crowd is totally into it. It's all in slow-mo and there are shots of the crowd dancing, sweat flying, faces tense, etc. It really stood out.

What was the purpose of those two scenes? Were they supposed to sum up the message that Green Room was supposed to be relaying to us? And what message was that?
>>
It sucks. People don't care about real movies anymore.
>>
>>69277439
The first bit is just some dumb punk thing to say.

Te reason for the slow mo was to show they were a good band, despite the fact that they started their set by pissing all the nazis off, they still managed to impress with their music. Even the murderer says as much, something along the lines of your set was great sorry about this.
>>
>muh ebil nadsi skinheads

Hollywood never gets tired of this, huh?
>>
>>69277567
I thought it was pretty good about not being up its own ass about politics. Punks and neo-nazis are just cool and reliable archetypes to use
>>
>>69277439
I think one of Green Room's themes is about how everyone comes to be a part of some social circle and how they align themselves with their ideals even if that isn't who they truly are and the contradictions it brings out in people.

They give that platitude about how you have to see about how they hate promotion and you have to see them live yet when they record the interview they ask when it'll air because they do care about promotion and they say they'll make a 7 inch if they have money because they do want to make records even if they say they don't.

When we see the slow motion moshing it immediately following The Ain't Rights play a cover of "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" so those guys should've been pissed and not enjoying the show but in reality the just like the music and probably fell into the skinhead thing. Stuff like that keeps happening throughout.

>Later on they change their desert island bands to more mainstream acts when under stress
>Amber says she's not a Nazi it's just a thing in her town
>The dogs later on don't attack when no one is alive to tell them to because they aren't inherently violent they've just been trained that way
>>
>>69277567
literally nothing wrong with a plot point like that as long as it's believable enough
>>
>>69277567
You know the politics of the skinheads are literally never brought up. Their motivations are all about drugs and money.
>>
>>69277567
Literally when the fuck was the last movie about skinheads?
This Is England?
And you'd have to be daft to think this is a Hollywood film.
go back to /pol/ there is no boogieman mocking neo nazis from behind the scenes, they do a good job of that themselves.
>>
>>69277834
That's a pretty good take on the film.

Honestly, to me though the movie is a bit more straightforwardly about self-preservation and the extremes of violence people will go to in their own self-interest. Honestly, it's not like the skinheads even want to cut them up and brutalize them; they just have no other choice. And visa versa, of course. I think that's part of what makes the movie so believable.
>>
>>69276701
It doesn't have to. If it made 15mil it would be a great success. If it made 20mil it would be a huge success. If it made 50mil it would be an UNBELIEVABLE success.

If you make a movie for 5mil and your advertising cost is low (like It Follows or Ex Machina - which were both successes), then you don't need to make what a big studio tentpole is expected to make.
>>
>>69275975

is this movie showing now? i live in 3rd world country so only capeshit, children and pleb movies will be shown
>>
Movies are made to make money dipshit
>>
>>69275975
>hipster bullshit fails
Oh the horror !
>>
>>69278623
ask your local theater to play it
>>
>>69277340
she cant keep getting away with this!!
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.