[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there so few movies with fantastical narrative and/or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: vlcsnap-77120.png (221 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-77120.png
221 KB, 480x270
Why are there so few movies with fantastical narrative and/or art direction?
>>
bumph
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 512x384
Most directors are great Technicians and just personal enough to be able to work with others.

A handful of directors come from the art world; Fellini was a Cartoonist before he went into filmmaking. Hitchcock drew the title card borders for silent film dialogue... I can't think of many Painters that transitioned into films, but Jean Renoir's father was one.
>>
>>69199148
It would annoy the average viewer who wants to take everything literally
>>
>>69202538
Lynch was a painter that transitioned into film. Did Jodowrosky make comic books before or after he started making films? I can't remember.
But anon is right, it's a large group of people who have studied and borrowed from true artists and use their technical knowledge to direct, not their creative vision.
>>
>>69202538
James Cameron drew stuff.
>>
>>69199148
Money
>>
>>69202732
>Did Jodowrosky make comic books before or after he started making films?
It was after he worked with moebius on dune
>>
>>69199148

Autistic faggots that take everything literally and/or demand everything be explained/make logical sense

aka half the faggots on this board
>>
>>69199148
Why build sets, render CGI scenery, make costumes or spend money on the art department in general when you can set your movie in present day LA?
>>
>>69202538
Ridley Scott studied traditional art in college and drew the storyboards for Alien.
>>
>>69205379
>art doesn't have to make logical sense or make any attempt to convey its meaning
top fucking kek
I got a grey noise machine I'd like to sell you.
>>
>>69205675
Found the autist.
>>
>>69205782
It produces infinite art. But I'll let you have it for 10k USD.
>>
>>69205336
>>69202732
No, he has some (albeit short and sometimes crudely drawn) comics he did way before El Topo or that other Mexican film who's name I can't remember. They're pretty interesting though imo just because of how "pure" and concentrated the artwork looks, much like his films.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.