[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BvS doubters BTFO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13
File: SuperheroBoxOffice.jpg (599 KB, 1320x1320) Image search: [Google]
SuperheroBoxOffice.jpg
599 KB, 1320x1320
>Not counting inflation
>Still manages to beat Spiderman, Spiderman 2, Guardians, and will prob come close to Dark Knight
>"But its a failure, LUL!"

Why are you guys such contrarian fags when it comes to this movie? Granted it has its faults, but I've watched it twice now & at least it tries (and succeeded mostly) in delivering somewhat thought provoking capeshit that's worthy of multiple viewings instead of being a throwaway popcorn flick that you'll never watch again. Perhaps that's where they really failed (not catering enough to the autism generation w enough 'plosions & witty reddit tier banter).
>>
File: zeldacdi.jpg (46 KB, 231x337) Image search: [Google]
zeldacdi.jpg
46 KB, 231x337
>Domestic Box Office is still smaller than Spiderman 1 and 2 and Guardians
>>
>>69137888
Blame Marvel. They've set the standard low for movies like this. I'm afraid at this point, any deviation from that formula will be met with lower box office.
>>
>>69138004
>Spider-Man 1 and 2
>Not MCU
>Sony
>10 years ago
>boohoo Marvel formula
>>
>>69138004
Or maybe it's just a bad movie, m8
>>
File: Winter Kekger.png (198 KB, 460x500) Image search: [Google]
Winter Kekger.png
198 KB, 460x500
>>69137645
>Not counting the gigantic budget that comes close to 400-500 mil mark

And Deadpool had a 50-60 million dollar budget. Stop living in denial.
>>
>>69138004
>Blame Marvel.

Yeah that's the go to strategy huh? You cunts sound like anakin whimpering about Obi-Wan holding him back.
>>
>>69137645
>Will probably come close to Dark Knight
>Didn't even make 4 million last weekend (Domestically) and 10 million in the last week (Foreign and domestic)
>Dropped to 2300 theaters domestically.
Bitch, it's not even gonna beat fucking Spiderman 3
>>
File: 1458974289007.jpg (23 KB, 604x311) Image search: [Google]
1458974289007.jpg
23 KB, 604x311
>>69137645
>beat by Spider-Man 3
Nice success you have there.
>>
>>69138212
>The quality of movies is now based on their budget to box office ratio

Wew.
>>
>>69137645
you would think a movie with Batman and Superman in it would gross higher.
>>
>>69137645
I love how you DCucks keep moving the goalposts.

>"IT'LL MAKE MORE MONEY THAN THE AVENGERS! THE DAWN OF CAPEKINO IS UPON US! MARVEL ON SUICIDE WATCH!"
>the second weekend box office drop happens
>"It'll make more than a billion!"
>it becomes crystal clear it won't make $900 million
>"I-it made more than GOTG! IT'S NOT A TOTAL FAILURE! SHUT UP!"
>>
>>69138737
Civil War is literally going to double it up
>>
>>69138764
>McDonald's sells more shit hamburgers than anyone else
>Therefore its better
>>
>>69137645
>contrarian fags
In case you didn't notice, actually liking the movie is the contrarian point of view.
>>
>>69138796
Well, yes if you're specifially using the money it brought in as the metric, which is what the OP did
>>
>>69137645
I love BvS though
>>
>literally the two biggest and hypest DCuck characters in the same movie with a VS title
>struggling
>also objectively shit

how can dcucks even have the gal to post

this was it

the biggest hypest memes were supposed to be unleashed right here and now and it fucking crashed and burned

even if they manage to sell more of their shit product and start to look to have reasonable sales returns its still objectively bad [4-6/10]

JUST
U
S
T
>>
>>69138999
B-but Suicide Squad is going to be so good!
>>
>>69138757
they started with Star Wars TFA money until the first weekend numbers came in.
>>
File: spiderman op faggot.jpg (124 KB, 566x910) Image search: [Google]
spiderman op faggot.jpg
124 KB, 566x910
>>69137645
>Not counting inflation
Jesus Christ no!
>>
>>69138004
It really isn't marvel's fault that people can't take "high brow drama" seriously when its between three literal gods dressed as clowns being emo about being literal gods.
>>
>>69138697
>now
for all time, yo
>>
File: redditbtfo.png (1 MB, 1485x1725) Image search: [Google]
redditbtfo.png
1 MB, 1485x1725
>>69137645
>>
>>69137645
>But its a failure, LUL!"

Because it is. Not a #1 all time bomb or anything, but a serious disappointment to WB in terms of reception and revenue. They wanted a movie to rival The Force Awakens in terms of reception - and with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all in the film, it should have been a shoe-in, but they came nowhere close.
>>
File: 0smug.png (208 KB, 417x517) Image search: [Google]
0smug.png
208 KB, 417x517
>>69139322
>>
>in top 10 capeshit of all time
>people still meme that its a failure

????
>>
>>69139327
why do people keep acting like wonder woman is some huge draw?
>>
>>69139355
B-But it didnt beat the 10th MCU movie!!!

The 2nd DC movie couldnt even beat the 11th modern Marvel!!

The newly rebooted Batman debuts to twice what Nolan Batman got but it didnt beat the 2nd Nolan so it failed!
>>
File: wait_what.jpg (144 KB, 572x303) Image search: [Google]
wait_what.jpg
144 KB, 572x303
>>69137645
>>Not counting inflation
Are you a retard? Do you know how inflation works?

If we count inflation BvS will be below those movies.
>>
>>69139355
Mate, it's the first movie featuring both Batman and Superman, the two most popular superhero of all time. It should have been number one. It's a fucking failure.
>>
File: 25235236.jpg (227 KB, 562x462) Image search: [Google]
25235236.jpg
227 KB, 562x462
>seventh highest grossing super hero movie
>>
>>69138212
>counting advertising in the budget for one movie but not the other
Look if you're gonna double BvS's $250M budget, you gotta double Deadpool's as well. Can't use separate standards.

That said, Fox BTFO both Disney and WB by making such a huge profit on a $50M movie.

I wonder how they avoided spending so much? Not like there wasn't plenty of CGI in Deadpool. I guess because everyone besides Reynolds and Baccarin were literally whos and Baccarin is mostly a TV actor?
>>
>>69139402
She´s a good character with an exiting consept in the comics (I´ve heard from /co/).
>>
>>69137645
They really should have left Raimi done his Spiderman 4.
>>
File: cap_maymay.gif (883 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
cap_maymay.gif
883 KB, 500x269
>>69139466
>>
>>69137645
>not counting inflation
POST DISREGARDED. Please fucking die.
>>
File: popcorn3.gif (501 KB, 200x136) Image search: [Google]
popcorn3.gif
501 KB, 200x136
>/tv/ says how shit this movie is
>see it a week ago
>pretty enjoyable
>definitely better than MoS, the Thor flicks, CA
>>
>>69137645
>Still manages to beat Spiderman, Spiderman 2, Guardians, and will prob come close to Dark Knight
But not actually going to be the Dark Knight

Or Zootopia
>>
>>69139327

I think we're equivocating on the word "failure" here. In the sense *usually* applied to movies, it was not a failure; it managed to recoup its budget, even accounting for the $150M ad budget and the rule-of-thumb doubling requirement (I.e. It needed $800M to break even). Warner Brothers made some profit on the movie, meaning their investment paid off.

In the sense of what their strategic goals were, the film *was* a failure. They hoped the film would be a tent pole and a massive success, buoying their next projects in the DCEU, and mitigating the risks of their other movies. Also, it would establish them as a legitimate competitor to the MCU juggernaut. It did none of those things, and its critical failure is the icing on the cake, considering how well Marvel's movies are received.

To sum up, the movie was a commercial success, if marginally so, but a massive strategic failure.
>>
File: 1447766424581.jpg (21 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
1447766424581.jpg
21 KB, 236x236
>>69138150
You know a bingo game is softball when it has a free space in the center
>>
>>69139542
>I wonder how they avoided spending so much?
3-4 small locations (Instead of the usual "world tour"), few CGI, few practical effects, few characters (Instead of the usual dozens of characters, even there is just some dozens of extras, instead of the usual hundreds)
>>
>>69139355
Because this is a movie over 70 years in the making starring the most iconic characters ever than anything. This should have been the easiest billion in the world and that's just the minimum people were expecting but it's not even not close to the Avengers, not even is it not close to the last two solo Batman movies without Superman, but it's still getting it's butt kicked by an animal movie that came out weeks before it
>>
>>69139718
>efinitely better than MoS
MoS was leagues better than BvS. I didn't like MoS that much but I wouldn't mind rewatching it again. Don't kid yourself
>>
>>69139718
>definitely better than MoS, the Thor flicks, CA
Which is not a great achievment as MoS is pretty bad, Thor movies are basically the worst MCU films, and Cap... Wait... BvS is not better than any Cap movie so far.
>>
>>69139322
SERIOUS QUESTION:

Is this whole "Avatar made money" meme real, or just a 2008 era meme that I missed out on? I have not met a single person who've seen the movie. The only thing I've ever heard said about it is "It's Dances with Wolves in space".

How on earth did a movie no one cared about and hardly anyone saw make money? or am I just taking the bait?
>>
>>69139865
Avatar was huge anon. For that brief period

Nobody's seen it because it completely fell off the radar with no news for the past like 5 years
>>
Looking back those Spider-Man movies were great
Even part 3 wasn't as bad (it really didn't need sand man in it at all)

Spidey and Bats are the only two super heroes that you can do a James Bond with and keep on changing the actor and keep on going.
Hopefully marvel doesn't screw it up.
Iron Man 1 is probably the only marvel film that came close to being as good as Spider-Man

>inb4 winter solider
Stop this meme
>>
>>69139902
I deployed to afghanistan in 2011-2012. I missed out on most of Occupy Wallstreet, so I never understood what that was about. Is this when Avatar came out? That would be a good explanation for why I didn't hear about it until I started coming to tv for the /got/
>>
>>69139865

I remember watching tv ads all time, tons of billboards, etc.... There were many people expecting this movie as some sort of "WHOLE NEW 3D VIRTUAL REALITY EXPERIENCE".

However the hype died, people realized they were scammed, and I don't think Avatar 2 will get even 1B.
>>
>>69139639
No, she is not.
>>
>>69140018
>mfw 4 Avatar movies

Even for Cameron I don't think anybody's going to care that to that level again
>>
>>69139865
>How on earth did a movie no one cared about and hardly anyone saw make money?
A few reasons. First, because it was the first in the modern wave of 3D movies. 3D is a fad that comes and goes, but Avatar restarted it - which means everyone paid more for their tickets.

Second, everyone fucking saw it. What may be confusing you is that everyone saw it, but nobody remembers much about it. It is "Dances with Wolves" in space. And Pocahontas, and The Last Samurai... It's every "white man goes to native tribe to spy/infiltrate them, learns their ways, fucks a native girl, leads natives to victory over evil white men" movie. It's formula: the movie. But it was a pretty good spectacle. But nobody remembers anything in particular because there wasn't anything really new in there.
>>
>>69139986
Too bad you came back.
>>
>>69140089
Anyone here seen a movie in 3D that thought it was better in 3D? I've yet to be "wowed" by it. It's actually shittier.
>>
>>69140141
Didn't I run over your cousin? He shoulda stopped shitting along side the road. Our vehicles are wide, gotta give them a good berth.
>>
>>69140149

Most movies are, but most movies are converted to 3D in post, as opposed to being filmed in 3D. And even the ones that film in 3D don't actually think about 3D when they're being directed and shot.

Avatar was - being in 3D was part of every scene. It's the only movie I've seen that actually was improved by it.
>>
>>69139355
DCfag here, let me answer your question.

First off ignore these >>69139461
>>69139801 meme answers straight from reddit about unquantifiable about franchise virility and unsourced/biased expectations

The real reason its a failure is 1) Awful foreign gross. It is [current year], the international box office has been increasing every year for the select blockbusters that play worldwide. This movie enthused them like a brick to the face, and it dropped like a brick too. On drops, 2) record capeshit drops means that the audience was there. Plain fact of the matter is that if the movie was better received by audiences and by critics (not for them, but for audience members who blindly parrot them) then the drop would not have been this high. I never believed in critics, I believe everyone who was going to see the movie was in the theater opening weekend. The amount of people who would really decide.based off reviews in in that late March-early April hellscape was miniscule. People did wait to hear what their friends thought about it though and that brought it down.

Those are the reasons why it failed.

Dont listen to memetric reasons about people no longer being excited for the DC Universe or about memes or other shit only internet forum members care about.

Normal audience members are smart enough to judge one movie at a time instead of pondering the states of cinematic universes like autists.
>>
>>69138697
Success is 100% based on revenue divided by budget.

BvS is a failure compared to marvelshit
>>
>>69137645
>>Not counting inflation
What?
>>
>>69139865

it became a real life giant fucking meme

people literally thought it was super realistic and revolutionary

the jews who marketed it somehow managed to make people think it was some sort of 'next step' in movie going experiences - like if it had the hype of a virtual reality movie theatre experience from the future - without actually changing anything

marketing, hype, memes, jewish wizardry

it all came together in the form of meme magic - akin to trump making america great again and leicester city making the EPL great again
>>
>>69140204

I think everyone who saw it the first weekend were people who were going to see it anyway regardless of bad press. Hence the big numbers.

I think the massive drop was due to it being a crappy movie with terrible reviews. People decided to wait to rent it/stream it/whatever even if they were interested.
>>
>>69140149
>Anyone here seen a movie in 3D that thought it was better in 3D?
Avengers 1, the battles, everything looked epic, watching it in a 32 inch screen in your house, seems lackluster.

I never watched a Transfomers movies, but I guess the whole experience of watching them in 3D in theathers, it must be cool. Watching them for the plot or the characters seems pretty dumb.
>>
>>69140204
>meme answers straight from reddit about unquantifiable about franchise virility and unsourced/biased expectations
Hey, the thing about how it's not close to Avengers, TDK and currently losing to Zootopia is 100% accurate
>>
>>69137645
>Not counting inflation
Pffffft
>>
>>69138999
>how can dcucks even have the gal to post
Ask Zack. He's the one who cast her as Diana. :^)
>>
If you count inflation, Spider-Man 1 and 2 would probably be higher than TDK and TDKR, maybe even Iron Man 3
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.