[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THE HOBBIT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: fuckyoupj3.jpg (294 KB, 800x1189) Image search: [Google]
fuckyoupj3.jpg
294 KB, 800x1189
What went wrong? I though the first 2 were decent but the last one was fucking stupid and cringey. Personally I blame the writers but I'm no expert
>>
>>69128153
Jackson took over the project and had little-to-no pre-production time. iirc, they didn't even have shot lists on the days. They were making up a lot of it as they went, and changing things after viewing the dailies.

Plus, it should never have been three films. The CGI was atrocious. The 48fps was a misfire and I think by the 2nd film Jackson was pretty much beat. I suspect he knew he was releasing an absolute turd. IT's hard to keep up the morale on set too when people know.
>>
director got changed during the middle of production
producers decided to turn the original 2 movies into 3
only 3 months of pre production time compared to 3 years of lotr pre production time
christopher lee was dieing and was not involved as much as he was in lotr
>>
>>69128153
>The 48fps was a misfire

fuck off retard the high frame rate was great. i hope they make more in the future
>>
>>69128203
Doesn't excuse Tauriel or Alfried.
>>
Everything up to the troll encounter in the first film was absolute kinography. It just fell apart after that.
>>
>>69128239
Just play your xbox, or whatever machine that plays 60fps

>>69128270
I absolutely loved everything till then too.

>>69128266
Completely forgot about that bullshit love triangle too.
>>
>>69128153
They tried to milk three 3-hour movies out of a story that had enough content for MAYBE two 2-hours
>>
It didn't have the sense of grandeur and adventure LotR had.
>>
>>69128266
this is why i blame the writers. pj would never have done that on his own
>>
File: 1327902907047.png (104 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1327902907047.png
104 KB, 320x287
>Hobbit Movie gets announced
>wonder if they will keep the songs
>The do, at least in the first film
>Films are trainwrecks
>"""""""Tolken"""""""Edit takes the fucking songs out.
>>
>>69128304
>high frame rate must mean they like video games /v/ is so shit am i cool yet
kys
>>
>>69128332
I disagree. I think they couldve made two solid 3+ hour films
>>
File: 1461962676180.jpg (143 KB, 1297x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461962676180.jpg
143 KB, 1297x1080
>>69128422
>>
>>69128239
i also enjoyed hfr, the 3d was meh
>>
>>69128454
is that joeyswordtour? that fat fuck.................
>>
>>69128462
i thought it made the 3d look better
>>
>no mention of Hackson yet

feels good man, I always knew there was something fishy about this project and that it was too easy to just blame PJ (not saying that he did a brilliant job or anything).
Glad the truth is finally out and spread.
>>
File: le gabagoo.jpg (62 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
le gabagoo.jpg
62 KB, 1024x576
>>69128518
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
>>
File: itstime.gif (637 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
itstime.gif
637 KB, 624x352
>>69128153
>What went wrong?
They were all shit. I remember watching the first one, thinking it was ok, and then getting to the troll part/goblin king(I can't remember which) and totally losing fucking interest. Way too much CGI, and it wasn't even impressive CGI. Everything looked fake as shit, and less impressive than movies done years before.

God, these movies were a steaming pile of shit. I'm convinced Jackson is a total hack, and LOTR was a fluke. He has never made anything good besides those movies. The Frighteners sucks too.
>>
It's a solid trilogy right up until they're captured by the Elves. After that everything goes downhill.
>>
>>69128548
Yes, I know about that video. The more people see it the better. Fucking studio jews
>>
>>69128548
i would feel bad for him if he hadnt still made millions. to be fair the extended edition had some cool stuff in it, at least when i saw it high
>>
>>69128550
>jackson never made anything good besides LotR

How fucking PLEB can you get?
>>
I don't think any mainstream film has ever had such a troubled production

Three months of pre-production compared to three years for Lord of the Rings

Literally fired all the extras at one point and deleted all their footage

Props were being manufactured the same day they were needed for filming

Sets were being set up, pulled down, rebuilt, all in a matter of days
>>
>>69128550
He cant be a fluke coz king kong was good.
>>
>>69128550
king kong was pretty good besides a few pieces of sht scenes. and lotr was so good i forgive him anyways
>>
>>69128568
tauriel was total cringe in basically every scene, and she wasnt invented my pj
>>
>>69128550
Pretty much everything Jackson has made has been good aside from the last two Hobbit movies and The Lovely Bones

Heavenly Creatures is one of the best films ever made imo
>>
>>69128597
I fell genuinely bad for him whenever I think about the Hobbit movies. Yes, he probably got millions upon millions, but he wasn't exactly poor before.
As it stands, the Hobbit will forever remain as a massive shitstain in the list of his works, and there was not a lot he could have done to prevent it.
>>
>>69128575
that was del toro's fault tbqh
>>
>>69128624
>>69128613
>king kong
It could have been ok if it was 2 hours instead of 3 and a half. It just dragged on way too long.
>>
>>69128266
The work of Del Toro.
>>
Friendly reminder that Braindead/Dead Alive is a masterpiece and Jackson's best work to date.
>>
File: bolg.jpg (404 KB, 2864x1200) Image search: [Google]
bolg.jpg
404 KB, 2864x1200
what did you guys think of this addition?

i thought he couldve simply replaced azog
>>
>>69128605
this. the problem is they had no time. while i enjoyed the movies for what they were, i would have loved to see what PJ would have done with more time and freedom. I got the feeling that even he knew it was fucked and he was just trying his best to add in some gold scenes. I really liked the riddles scene, the bag end scenes, the mirkwood scenes, and the lonely mountain scenes.
>>
>>69128734
I don't even know why they kept Azog. It could have worked just as well if Azog had been killed and make Bolg seek revenge, IE like the fucking book.
>>
>>69128783
exactly

>>69128764
he also got an ulcer during pre production i think
>>
Jackson cant into CGI. Simple as that.
There were all sorts of other porblems too, exactly like in "the lovely bones" but the fact the everything looked so fucking awful is what really put me off
>>
>>69128518
I still blame him for allowing the the shit subplots with Alfrid and Tauriel.

I won't blame him for the CG or the need to hamfist the Sauron subplot since you can somewhat justify it from the lore.

If anything I am more pissed at Del Toro for flaking on the project and leaving Jackson with his mess.
>>
>>69128153
Bilbo was a really good character, but they forgot him towards the end.

They should also have focused on the friendship and brotherhood between the dwarfs, not forget 90% of them and introduce a bunch of non-canon characters, focus on them instead + some love drama that is not canon

I do understand the need of Azog, he should have been prosthetics, but I liked the idea of him and having him kill Thorin and Thorin kill him in a final battle.
But Bolg was fucking stupid, he also looked fucking stupid.

Gandalf side-plot was not needed.
>>
>>69128734
Making the Orcs talk in Black Speech was a cool idea on paper but in practice it makes everything they say completely unmemorable

I remember more of what the fucking Goblin King and that random Orc that Thranduil interrogates said than I do about what Azog or Bolg said

People remember quotes from the LotR Orcs by memory, even the ones that don't say any lines and just have distinctive grunts or appearances

Making the Hobbit Orcs CGI and making them speak a language that nobody will understand just completely robs them of any character
>>
>>69128153
I really feel these movies were rushed out so they wouldn't compete with star wars
>>
>story is about dwarves and a hobbit bonding over a journey
>focus on literally every other character but the dwarves including some you made up
>>
>>69128841
YES, focusing on the dwarves more, getting to know the dwarves more, so when they died it actually MEANT something. The books did a far better job with this than the films.
>>
>>69128270
that is precisely the moment my whole family and i walked from the cinema
>>
>>69129110
seriously?

>>69129094
i thought the dwaves were focused on enough, especially in the extended edition
>>
I can name most characters in lord of the rings.

I barely remember any of the dwarven names, basically just hints of names (except Thorin, of course). Movie should've focused a lot more on developing the dwarves instead of just having them be silent traveling companions. Just like Gilmi's father. As far as I remember, the only charactarization he gets on screen is him being a stingy fuck not wanting to pay the ferry man and him showing bilbo a picture of gimli.
>>
>>69129267
read the book ho, theyre even less characterized
>>
>>69129267
The Dwarves didn't need to be characterized too deeply, as the other reply pointed out, even Tolkien didn't bother. They serve the plot functionally as a collective group.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.