[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
George Lucas on The Star Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: star wars poster.jpg (3 MB, 2556x4004) Image search: [Google]
star wars poster.jpg
3 MB, 2556x4004
Last week the visionary art house director made comments on a small failed Fox sci-fi project from 1977 named "The Star Wars" seen by the filmmaker as a misstep in the otherwise sterling career of Lucas who is today known for his sprawling philosophical independent dramas.

Lucas stated in a recent interview
>You know I think I just wanted to make something I would have liked as a kid. Something simple. I was watching a lot of the old Flash Gordon serials at the time and just wanted to make something in that vein but I guess to 1977 audiences it all seemed a little safe... a little too simple and so after a few weeks in which we were just able break even on the production along came Friedkin. I mean we all had seen the French Connection and The Exorcist, marvelous successes in their own rights but Sorcerer was just such a shot in the arm for the entire industry. It was everything audiences at that time were feeling about the world. The moral ambiguity, the political overtones, everything on a knife's edge. I mean, that bridge sequence, god. I watched that film slack jawed in amazement. It really sent a message that the cinema wasn't a place for children interested in black and white power fantasies and I took that message to heart. Children's stories are all well and good but they'll never deliver the kind of experience one can get from something like Sorcerer. When I compare what I made in Star Wars to that it all just seems so frivolous and banal.

Today we know the impact Sorcerer had that summer. Playing for a record breaking 23 weeks and ushering in the mainstream acceptance of non-english performances in american films. It solidified the director centric New Hollywood as an international powerhouse for bold, original cinema what the focus on social and moral realism remained a large focus for the decades that followed.
>>
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 13d9a34dcd09c343.jpg (8 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
13d9a34dcd09c343.jpg
8 KB, 316x202
>tfw this alternate reality well never come true.

I should just end it
>>
>>69107438
>bold, original cinema
>a remake of The Wages of Fear

oh well the premise of the shitpost was interesting
>>
>>69107995
Sorcerer is better than Wages of Fear.

The bridge scene alone is better than anything that Clouzot ever did.
>>
>>69107438
is this a post from an alternate reality?? MODS you filter is all fucked uip
>>
>>69107438
I used to watch my dad's copy of Star Wars on VHS all the time. Shame they never continued with the sequels.
>>
>>69108338
In the extended interview, Lucas mentions that he had made a rough sketch of what a sequel or two would look like but "It would be far to embarrassing to share this drivel today. They're basically scribbling of plot contrivances and cliches."
>>
>>69108455
Still, I liked the guy who played the smuggler. I always wondered what happened to his career...
>>
>>69108562
Oh, everyone knows Harrison Ford, anon. He's a well respected stage actor and worked with Coppola his film adaptation of Akhnaten, you remember, the one that he did in 1990?
>>
File: image.jpg (359 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
359 KB, 1024x681
>Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness in New Mexico, used as a backdrop in the film's hallucinatory climax

https://youtu.be/XOkfBbVZEGo
>>
Could you imagine what would have happened if the roles were reversed.
>>
>>69107438
It took me awhile to understand what you were getting at. But a good 8/10 post.
>>
>>69109323
TD does GOAT soundtracks
>>
>>69107438
I like it.

Now do one for The Wachowskis and The Matrix
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.