[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which should I watch first?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: thick-veep.jpg (163 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
thick-veep.jpg
163 KB, 1200x900
I don't know much about British politics , so I'm leaning towards Veep.
>>
Who cares, just pick one and watch it you dumb faggot
>>
>>69095352
Watch In The Loop first. If you liked the parts with the Brits then you should start with The Thick Of It. If you wanted something a bit more similar to American sit-coms then you should watch Veep.
Basically Veep compared to The Thick Of It is like the US version of The Office compared to the UK version.
>>
>>69095352
The Thick Of It is pure politic-kino.
>>
>>69095677
I disagree with this. Veep is much closer to the original than the US Office, which abandoned the ultra-naturalistic feel of the UK one fairly early on to become more of a standard 'wacky antics' American sitcom. Veep really is just The Thick Of It with American accents, it manages to successfully capture the exact same humour.

Honestly OP, it doesn't matter which one you watch the first. I'd go with TTOI, simply because Veep is still on the air, but they're both excellent.
>>
>>69095781
>Veep is much closer to the original
Veep is full of wacky antics from early on. For god sakes, Gary's character is just a toned down version of Buster from Arrested Development. Plus Veep has a lot of forced romantic sub-plots which makes it even more like a sitcom.
Also Veep is about a vice-president, there's never any worry that she might lose her job. The Thick Of It has entire cabinets being thrown out overnight. It's much more exciting than veep and keeps you on the edge all the time.
>>
>>69095352
Could be the bong bias talking but The Thick of It superior. Not to say Veep isn't worthwhile.
>>
>>69096001
>Plus Veep has a lot of forced romantic sub-plots which makes it even more like a sitcom.

minor sexual tension between Dan and Amy is not forced romantic subplots
>>
OP Here. I'm not British , so I'm worried I won't get the political jokes.
>>
>>69095781
>Veep is much closer to the original than the US Office, which abandoned the ultra-naturalistic feel of the UK one fairly early on to become more of a standard 'wacky antics' American sitcom.

...Veep does exactly that. Sure maybe not to PARKOUR levels but it's basically Parks and Rec
>>
>>69096199
I don't think it matters much. It's not so much political humour, as people ragging on each other continuously. You don't even learn what parties they're in for a while
>>
>>69096178
>Dan and Amy
>Selena and her masseuse
>Mike getting married
>Sue and Kent
It gets worse every season
>>
>>69096250
Do you ever?

I mean it's pretty obvious but I don't think they ever come out and say it.
>>
File: borgen.jpg (954 KB, 1451x1797) Image search: [Google]
borgen.jpg
954 KB, 1451x1797
Anyone vouch for this?
>>
I just finished catching up with Veep. It's good but kind of more limited. The Thick Of It is kind of more out there, but accurate if you are vaguely aware of British politics.

The best way to sum it up is, Veep is a little more respectful. In The Thick Of It everyone is shown at their hilarious worst as soon as possible.
>>
>>69096256
>Selena and her masseuse
lasted like 2 episodes and it's not really a romantic subplot, she's just fucking him and they crack jokes about how dumb he is

>Mike getting married
and his wife is basically a non-character, how is this forced? it takes up what...less than 1% of screentime in an entire season?

>Sue and Kent
not forced, their personalities are near-identical and their banter is excellent
>>
>>69096288
I think you might in the fourth series? Wasn't Nicola the leader of the labour party?
>>
>>69096199
It's not really political in the sense of current events. It's more about the farce of modern politics, the show politicians try and put on and the PR. It's worth a go at least. Vague awareness of the british political system would help (house of commons, house of lords, different ministries, what are the good positions in government)
>>
>>69096326
Well TTOI never even came close to that. You never find out anything about the characters' personal lives. It makes them seem even more ruthless and unpredictable.
>>
>>69096326

>it isn't forced because these fake characters really go together

You are this retarded.
>>
>>69096394
you're making it sound like it's the Office where there's all this significant drama round it, tonally there are no major differences between Veep and TTOI because they have the exact same writer and never deviates from the biting, insult laden dialogue for stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFRe7mEEdaM
>>
>>69096199
I'm not British or American and I enjoy both shows. Just start watching whatever you feel like.
>>
>>69096585
Well i disagree. TTOI wasn't only more brutal than Veep but it was also wittier in terms of insults and how the characters are written.
The writers on Veep were obviously trying to cater to the American sitcom viewer who isn't used to the biting Brit humor. I guess it's understandable seeing that the show wouldn't have made that far on tv if it was more like TTOI. But you have to be blind to not see the big difference between the two shows.
>>
>>69096771
Agreed. Hard to argue Iannucci doesn't have a better feel for British dialogue nevermind a naturally more ingrained cultural understanding.
>>
I feel sorry for Gary. He's like a needy effeminate Baldrick
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.