[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How old were you when you realised film awards were meaningless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: paul-haggis-oscars.jpg (34 KB, 480x439) Image search: [Google]
paul-haggis-oscars.jpg
34 KB, 480x439
How old were you when you realised film awards were meaningless when determining film quality?
>>
never cared about the oscars tbhwy but I realised when Birdman won them.
>>
Like 12
haven't kept up with the oscars or any other awards for 10 years

i know a guy that has all oscar winners memorized and refuses to watch a movie if critics didn't like it, yet claims to be the biggest "cinephile" ever and know more about movies than anyone
but he is unwilling to explore anything outside of the popular critical and award show mindset
biggest pleb on earth
>>
>>69090133
I dunno, 15?
>>
>>69090218
What was his top 10 like?
>>
>>
>>69090373
I don't know, I don't like him or talk to him
I just know his favorite of all time is Lawrence of Arabia (which I sometimes call Arab Larry around him just to make him mad) which I don't really agree with but I can't fault him because it's a great movie

The only other movie I know he for sure likes is Evil Dead 2. He said it's his favorite horror movie. He always made fun of me for liking weirder lesser known horror and exploitation movies.

he's not actually a turbo pleb because he does kind of know his shit but you know what i mean
the kind of guy that HAS to talk about his taste all the time just because average normies will be super impressed at all the WEIRD CRAZY OLD ART movies he likes and shit like that
>>
>>69090218
People like this are insufferable. Did you ever call him out on it?
>>
File: 1452050434600.jpg (37 KB, 396x382) Image search: [Google]
1452050434600.jpg
37 KB, 396x382
Only autists pride themselves in condemning awards.
>>
>>69090467
Not worth it, see here: >>69090462 he would just tell everyone around us I watch weird Italian cannibal movies and I love low budget 1950s sci fi and make them think I'm a freak. He thinks he's so much better than me...
>>
>>69090511
Is he the best student in your film studies class or something?

Sounds a little like you're jealous of him desu.
>>
>>69090553
why would i take a class on shit i already know?

i wouldn't say jealous really, because i don't feel like i need the validation he gets from this shit, but it does piss me off that people think of him as this like "movie trivia god" and shit like that and really take his opinion seriously when i know way more about movies than him and have seen a lot more varied stuff than him
>>
>>69090618
>why would i take a class on shit i already know?

To build your skills and knowledge on that thing. Unless you already know everything about it.
>>
I never thought they meant legitimacy.

But I always knew they were sort of intriguing and could point me towards things that maybe I should watch. Then I got older and realized they're fun to watch drunk with streams.
>>
>>69090618
How come they value this guy's opinion so much? Is he Chad who watches movies or something?
>>
>>69090133

I dunno, a child anyway, it's just people patting each other on the back saying "well, didn't we make a lot of money!"

If you invited a bunch of friends over to your house, stood up and said "the award for being a real fun guy goes to..john" it'd be the same thing as the oscars but with a lower budget
>>
>>69090877
>tfw you'll never have friends to give you a fun guy award
>tfw even if I had friends I probably wouldn't win
>>
>>69090798
i think he's a total speg myself, but others seem to like him pretty well. he's just outgoing and friendly i guess so they like him. also he doesn't challenge their opinions or present them with anything they might find offputting

>>69090700
i go to a pretty shitty school especially when it comes to the arts. my housemate took a film music course and they just watched harry potter and shit. it would be a huge waste of time. plus i am dropping out after this semester anyway
>>
>>69090941
>plus i am dropping out after this semester anyway

best of luck.

What are you gonna do?
>>
>>69090968
thanks. i'm stuck in the same city because i'm on the lease for next year. my current roommates and best friends are graduating, two moving out west. i'll be joining them after i put another year in this hell hole with a bunch of roommates i don't know at all. gonna be a rough, lonely year
>>
>>69091009
Do you have a job at least?
>>
>>69091014
not right now. i am going on a month long road trip in a couple weeks so i can't exactly commit to anything at the moment. but starting in july i will be able to have one
>>
>>69091064
Good luck.

Out of interest what does "movie trivia god" intend to do when he graduates?

Don't tell me he wants to be a director?
>>
>>69091075
not sure
he definitely used to want to be a filmmaker, but i think i heard him say he wants to be a journalist now. he's a film major though and i went to the screening for their senior films. they all sucked of course but his was actually one of the least shitty.

he's not nearly as bad as this other guy, a dr. who and capeshit fan who my sort of gf cucked me for. he wants to be a filmmaker and right now his only experience is making walking dead fan fiction on youtube and his favorite movie is the dark knight (although actually i recall him saying that was replaced by the world's end and then by godzilla 2014)

we are living in a world of plebs, anon
>>
>>69091149
>we are living in a world of plebs, anon

Too right. That Godzilla guy will probably go on to do big things.

Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>69090133
When Titanic and LOTR ROTK won 11 awards each.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.